It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagons plan to silence 9/11's Able Danger whistleblower LTC Anthony Shaffer

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+46 more 
posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Pentagon Plan: Buying Books to Keep Secrets
www.nytimes.com...

A New York Times article says that the Pentagon accidentally "ok'd" the release of LTC Anthony Shaffer;s new book called "Operation Dark Heart" which is in the process of finishing the first batch of books to sell. A few copies have been sent out for reviewers, but otherwise to rectify this situation the Pentagon is planing to purchase every single copy of the book that is being printed. That's 10,000 copies of his book(the entire first print) that will be bought and paid for with our money. To prevent us(the public) from ever reading what the book has to say.

LTC Anthony Shaffer, first claim to public fame is when he decided to come out and relate his story about the classified program called Able Danger. Where his team had discovered several of the 9/11 hijackers, including Atta, a full year before 9/11. Upon trying to relay this message to superiors he was told to discontinue looking into the suspected terrorists, and was prevented from relaying the information to anyone else. After relaying this information to the 9/11 commission in 2003, his 20 year long career in the military was destroyed and he was pushed out.

I'd say this adds a lot of credibility to what he has to say(or has said), I highly doubt that the Pentagon would go to these lengths to silence someone who was out spreading false truths. Lies like the ones the government has said he was spreading regarding the existence of a pre 9/11 offensive counter-terrorism operation, that had discovered several of the 9/11 terrorists a full year before the 9/11 attacks.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
LMAO it is temporarily out of stock on amazon.com

I was plan on buying it.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
What the hell is going on in America.

Cannot believe this story.

Anybody else know who used to destroy ('burn') books? Anyone?

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   

The agency studied the possibility of buying the first printing, Mr. Wise said, but the publisher of Random House, Bennett Cerf, told the agency he would be glad to sell all the copies to the agency — and then print more. “Their clumsy efforts to suppress the book only made it a bestseller,” Mr. Wise said.

www.nytimes.com...

If I were a betting man, I would bet some money, that this will be the one and only edition of “Operation Dark Heart” without censorship. I doubt that Mr Bennett Cerf will have the guts to milk the DoD's budget. Powerful people and organizations can be quite effective, when they want to prevent information from reaching a wider audience.

"Privishing" is short for "private publishing." Perversely, it is a method used by publishers to kill off a sensitive book without the author's permission or awareness.

By reducing the initial print run of a book, refusing to do reprints, cutting the advertising budget and the promotional tour, a publisher can guarantee a book's failure. It constitutes breach of contract, and in fact Colby sued his publisher, but battling a media giant's lawyers is an expensive and difficult proposition.

www.commondreams.org...

Further links:

High Crimes, Mass Media and Deep Politics is the title of a Guns & Butter episode. This episode deals with censorship and also touches the issue of privishing.
www.kpfa.org...

Timeline with information about Able Danger:
www.historycommons.org...

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I would love to get my hands on this book... Star & Flag for the find!

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Just goes to prove the government has something to hide.
Pentagon doesn’t want the American people to know that 911 was an inside job.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
If we can't buy it someone needs to get a copy up on the web ASAP.

Second

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Great! I am going to buy this book for sure! Another hard to find book that people should read is "Penetration" by Ingo swan. Lets blow the roof off all this stuff. Man we are on the brink of some elightenment my friends

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Someone calling themself "foreverstamps" on Ebay claims to have this book, Here I am skeptical, however, and I balk at the $1000.00 opening bid.

Does anyone know how we can get our hands on a real and uncensored copy?

Also, from the article

Army reviewers suggested various changes and redactions and signed off on the edited book in January, saying they had “no objection on legal or operational security grounds,” and the publisher, St. Martin’s Press, planned for an Aug. 31 release.

Emphasis mine. So according to this the book has already been edited. Then this follows.

But when the Defense Intelligence Agency saw the manuscript in July and showed it to other spy agencies, reviewers identified more than 200 passages suspected of containing classified information, setting off a scramble by Pentagon officials to stop the book’s distribution.

So it appears there is still something to hide.

They were right though, when they said that trying to supress the book would make it a bestseller. These kinds of books are a dime a dozen and I normally only read them if I have good reason to, and now I have to get my hands on this one

Still I am afraid we will never get to see a true and unedited copy

edit on 9/10/2010 by AlienChaser because: Rusty BB code

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Just at a quick glance, I wonder why this isn't in kindles store, or sold as an e-book anywhere. It'd be kinda hard to buy every copy of that.

Quick check shows there isn't a downloadable copy yet for kindle.

edit on 10-9-2010 by captainbitter because: Added more information

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
If we could get the Islamic extremists just as fired up about this book burning as the other "book burning," then maybe the Pentagon would back down just like the crazy Rev. did.

I feel terrible for the soldiers that do the right thing only to have their careers destroyed because the right thing isn't in the best interests of America.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by captainbitter

good shout
i was thinking same as soon as i read the thread. and top score for solid snake picture!

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
There was a blip about this on Democracy Now this morning. The report hinted that the book contained details of the NSA's secret wiretapping program.

I suspect that the offending "revelations" in the book amount to little more than a confirmation of what most of us already know; namely that the NSA has been spying on ALL electronic communications, including entirely domestic telephone traffic. Still, it would be interesting to know what operational details were deemed so sensitive that the book be squashed.

On a more paranoid note, I also can't help but speculate that this might be some sort of bait / honeytrap scheme... people who seek out the book would inadvertently flag themselves as targets for more focused surveillance.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by C1OUD

Thanks for the video game enthusiasm
. Snake seems to fit in around here pretty well. Btw, Cloud is the most disturbed hero I've ever played.

I find it odd that this would even be reported. Who oversees military spending, and how does something like this get approved?

edit on 10-9-2010 by captainbitter because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by tooo many pills
If we could get the Islamic extremists just as fired up about this book burning as the other "book burning," then maybe the Pentagon would back down just like the crazy Rev. did.

I feel terrible for the soldiers that do the right thing only to have their careers destroyed because the right thing isn't in the best interests of America.

only diff is the MSM will not cover this.

People constantly say this or that is what is wrong with goverments but this truly is the core of WTF is wrong with the USA. Damn secrite mongers both parties are!

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by captainbitter
reply to post by C1OUD

Thanks for the video game enthusiasm
. Snake seems to fit in around here pretty well. Btw, Cloud is the most disturbed hero I've ever played.

I find it odd that this would even be reported. Who oversees military spending, and how does something like this get approved?

edit on 10-9-2010 by captainbitter because: (no reason given)

The reason we are in the debt we are in is no one regulates there spending of china's money.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by zerotensor

Agreed, I already contacted "foreverstamps" listed in my earlier post, and I told him to post the entire book to the internet. I doubt it will happen given the greed most people wallow in, but it was worth a try.

As for being singled out for higher scrutiny, CENSORED that! I personally operate on the assumption that all forms of (especially electronic) communication are monitored anyway, further, I suspect (or hope) there is more to it than the wiretap thing, given that as you said, it is something most of us already believe, and such a revelation in the book would really just be another guy saying it.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I figure that we will see something really shortly;

A) The Publisher 'chooses' to not publish the book, because they've found it is not a good seller and/or that the author seems to be dishonest. THEN, they get some huge deal with the Pentagon. Kind of like what happened with CBS when they ran Dan Rather out on a rail and relied from White House hired experts to authenticate the documents and declare them forgeries.

B) A series of unfortunate events. E.g., the DC Madam.

C) Author or Publisher or close family members are found with Kittee P0rn -- or they suddenly get into trouble with the law or IRS.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
226 news sites covers this story
news.google.com...

most of them dont talk about Abel Danger though, they only say "information about secret missions that could harm soldiers in Middle East"!

edit on 10-9-2010 by conar because: spelling

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Oh and why would they do this?????

Of course the standard programmed reply:
“could reasonably be expected to cause serious damage to national security,”

Damage there perception by the world for being evil biggots.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join