It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Common courtesy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Just a simple question about creating a thread.

Is the person creating a thread on ATS responsible for answering each question raised in his/her thread when it is on topic??

I think it is nothing more then common courtesy to at least address the people who took the effort of reading what you had to say and try and answer any questions they might have concerning the topic.

The reason I ask is because I have been ignored on more then one occasion by a certain member. It is not that my question was off-topic but I guess my question did not meet his intellectual standard.

Is this a valid motivation for ignoring members who visit your thread?

(I am not talking about regulation but responsibility!!)

Peace

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I don't feel that I am entitled for answers to my questions, and it does not matter if I am querying the OP either.

I'm not entitled to anyone's time unless I pay them for it.

That being said, it is nice to have one's questions answered.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime
Just a simple question about creating a thread.

Is the person creating a thread on ATS responsible for answering each question raised in his/her thread when it is on topic??

Nope :-)

I think it is nothing more then common courtesy to at least address the people who took the effort of reading what you had to say and try and answer any questions they might have concerning the topic.

You are free to think whatever you like :-)

The reason I ask is because I have been ignored on more then one occasion by a certain member. It is not that my question was off-topic but I guess my question did not meet his intellectual standard.

Oh dear.

Is this a valid motivation for ignoring members who visit your thread?

Absolutely. :-)

(I am not talking about regulation but responsibility!!)

Peace

Sadly, there are some people on ATS who post specious replies that are actually nothing more than disguised attempts at winding the poster up and any one else reading it. These people are best handled by ignoring them.

I have also found in life that the same thing goes for people who try to "force manners" and "etiquette" onto others...these are just covert attempts at making them feel guilty and needling them...

Please, however, continue to feel free to conduct yourself as you best see fit. :-)

I for one shall do likewise. :-)

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

I know what you mean, and I won’t link to any posts or anything but not long ago I replied in a thread with what I felt like was a very very VERY fair question about what was discussed in the OP (so it wasn’t off-topic) but it seemed to go against what the OP believed and lo and behold the question was then completely ignored and on 2 separate occasions might I add.

Not that I'm going to lose any sleep over it or anything but It’s quite annoying when you take the time to ask a question like that and it gets completely ignored. The OP was then replying to posts shortly afterwards that went along with what they was saying/ believe in and completely disregarding anything that doesn’t.

Anyway, I don’t think it should be mandatory (not that you’re suggesting this) but I think it's only fair to answer a question that’s been asked after someone took the time to ask it, especially when it's your own thread, whether they go against what you say/believe in or with them.

I know I at least try to do so.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Against

Anyway, I don’t think it should be mandatory (not that you’re suggesting this) but I think it's only fair to answer a question that’s been asked after someone took the time to ask it, especially when it's your own thread, whether they go against what you say/believe in or with them.

I know I at least try to do so.

Just because someone invests time in asking a question, that does not mean the OP should then invest their time answering it - it does not work like that.

It is good that you try to answer questions though.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   

*snip*

On topic, I try to reply to any questions that get put to me in my threads but I am also terrible at abandoning a thread as well, so some questions have probably been unanswered

When I say abandon, I mean if it gathers interest the conversation will flow itself, I don't need to force it and if it doesn't, then oh well, it's out there at least...does that make sense?

Mod Note: Please stay on Topic – Review This Link.

[edit on Sun Sep 5 2010 by Jbird]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

Just because someone invests time in asking a question, that does not mean the OP should then invest their time answering it - it does not work like that.

Oh yes, I agree that it doesn't mean they should have to, I just personally think it's only fair to be honest assuming it's a question that's a genuine attempt at adding to the discussion or clearing something up that's confused you etc.

If you brought the discussion to the table then you should be in a position to have questions fired at you In my humble opinion.

That's all.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Mindcrime - I've experienced this occassionally and with one particular poster I've come to the conclusiont that they probably have set me to "ignore".

I wouldn't take it personally if I were you. Your posts are always courteous and add to the thread!

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I find it's a bit tricky sometimes to respond to everyone in the way I'd like to.

For instance, if someone asks a question I will go off and find an answer if I can and provide links. On some occasions, someone better qualified than myself will answer and I'm really grateful for that.

What's awkward is if a couple of people ask questions and one person just writes a nice comment or encouraging remark.

I appreciate encouragement and don't want to answer two posters and leave someone out, so I try to answer everyone without going off topic.

Occasionally, someone will write a really witty, slightly thread derailing remark that I find hilarious. I'd love to join in the fun but, again, want to stay on topic.

I like my threads to be fun but I'm always terrified of breaking rules. I made a thread a few days ago that I haven't been back to because the replies weren't serious. I suppose after a few days of no activity I could go in and have a laugh, but will that look like cynical thread-bumping?

I've read posts on here where people say that members who go back to their threads within half an hour are trolls or attention-whores. I don't agree with that, I think if I started a thread I have a duty to answer questions and keep it on topic if I can - but I don't want to appear to be a troll or worse.

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with common courtesy so I'll just carry on as I have been doing. I'm sure I'll get a rocket from somewhere if I do anything too awful.

And if anyone has ever felt ignored or disregarded on any of my threads, I'm sorry. Particularly to anyone who made the last post on a thread. That's the bit I find the most difficult. I think probably the discussion will keep going and then it doesn't.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I would like to ask the question why do you bother to put up threads and run or not answers questions, I thought ATS was about debate, I think many posters put up threads to see how many they can, if you're not interested in the thread you put up and don't want to bother replying why bother putting it up in the first place.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
If you choose to propose a question, it's only fair to assume such was done for a purpose to which you should answer every reply, or at least attempt to answer as many as possible.

Asking questions and not responding to the answers is akin to trolling.

Though I can forgive an over-abundance of responses.

[edit on 9/5/2010 by abecedarian]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Since most of us lead secondary, less important lives away from ATS, there will be instances when an OP will be unavailable to answer every question or reply to every challenge.

But on the upside, the ATS site is full of opinionated people who will gladly pick up the slack and engage you in stimulating conversation.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   

don't bite off more than you can chew

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

Occasionally I'll run across threads that are frequented by like-minded individuals who are on a mission to inform/teach/recruit. It's quite obvious that they're working as a TEAM and are contributing to each other's threads to help promote certain ideologies. They will ignore challenges because they haven't come to be dragged into a heated debate... they've come to ENLIGHTEN... peacefully.

And they seem to come in all colors and belong to a multitude of religious/politcal persuasions.

CX

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Thanks for bringing this thread up.

I was thinking about this subject only this morning, but in relation to me being the bad guy. I went over many threads of mine that seem to have more then a few replies, but i have forgotten to get back to them.

Something i will work on from this point on.

It would be difficult to answer every post, but at meast popping your head in every now and again would be good.

Cheers.

CX.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Thanks for all those replies!!!

It is just that I think creating a thread also comes with the moral obligation to host and direct that thread. And a good host answers his guests, no matter how stupid the question.....

Peace

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by OurManInGlasgow

Ignore some of them and they'll still never stop. They know you want to answer and that you're burning some valuable energy by ignoring rather than negating.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1
.....I thought ATS was about debate.....

I didn't know ATS was a debate club....

We have a debate forum here, but the site is what is known as a 'discussion board' (or somesuch clever netspeak term).

People who try to debate those who are trying to have a discussion will often end up driving those people away - unless they know how to bait them good.

While the 'debatist' thinks he is being intellectual and coming at it from all angles, to everyone else he usually seems confrontational and annoying, often asking questions which a google could easily answer. Alas.

[edit on 5-9-2010 by Exuberant1]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

Isn't "discussion" just a civil-sounding euphemism for "debate"? Real debates are civil, no?

See, it makes it less confrontational if phrased in the form of a question. Alex Trebek would approve.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

Do you not differentiate debate and discussion?

Regardless, you are still not entitled to answers to your questions.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join