It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7.0 earthquake hits Christchurch, New Zealand

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Thinking of everyone in the effected area -- sending love from California

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101

The recent quake, which is already called and acknowledged as a miracle by your nation's leader, is a further testimonial of love from our Creator for humanity that calls upon His name ( something unfortunately our sisters and brothers in China perhaps through the challenge of lingo and politics, had been unable to recieve such grace and mercy..).

May more of you either individually or form a fellowship to give thanks and appreciation for the miracle given to you and your fellow citizens.

Cheers, though for those suffering from the realities of the quake, of material possessions destroyed or inconveniented, may not feel this manner, but hopefully, in time will realize the inestimable value of one's and one's loved ones treasured lives.

Sorry, but what a load of crap. It was no miracle, there was no divine intervention. It was purely a geological process as a consequence of living on a land that straddles a plate boundary.

I actually find it quite insulting to invoke 'gods' and 'miracles' at this time.

It was nothing of the sort.

This is an excellent site

[edit on 6-9-2010 by aorAki]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

From the site you linked -

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
The first time I relived the event through this CCTV footage I cried.. it brought back the fear we felt.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Probably already answered, but yes we take quakes seriously when designing a building. Christchurch is probably the only major city NOT on a known fault..... DOH

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

Except it doesn't straddle a plate boundry (or didn't), it didn't happen at peak time, and there are thousands who went through it that would tell you they think it was. If they think it was, let them rest in that.
That and the fact you live elsewhere..

[edit on 6-9-2010 by daggyz]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by daggyz
reply to post by aorAki

Except it doesn't straddle a plate boundry (or didn't), it didn't happen at peak time, and there are thousands who went through it that would tell you they think it was. If they think it was, let them rest in that.

He lives at the earthquake site, as do I, and knows what he's talking about. He is also extremely well versed in these things, so please take note of what he says.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by daggyz
reply to post by aorAki

Haha, what part about 'Deny Ignorance' do you not understand?

New Zealand , that is BOTH the North and South Islands are straddling the Pacific and Indo-Australian (sometimes just called Australian) Plate, with the Australian plate subducting beneath the Pacific in the south, the transforming into Strike Slip along the majority of the Alpine Fault (with c. 480 km or movement) and the Pacific plate subducting beneath the Australian plate in the north. The northern subduction zone is migrating south and this accounts for the Hope Fault as a response to the strain, amongst other things.

I live in Christchurch ( Otautahi being the Maori name for where this city is now, and Aotearoa being the Maori name for New Zealand, with Aoraki being the Maori name for the highest peak) and have said so in this thread so it is plainly obvious that YOU HAVEN"T READ THE WHOLE THREAD and you have the gumption to come on here and tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about because I don't live here?

Yes, I'm short tempered and anxious and acerbic because I have had little sleep and have been spending much time and energy assisting with clean up and helping people out in this time of need. People like you have no effing idea what we're going through. nor an understanding of geological processes and put it down to an act of god?

edit: angry spelling mistakes

O.k. daggyz, where are you situated?

Edit for language which made me feel bad, on hindsight

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Stuck with the Kids till the 13th September. All schools closed till then. Ministry of Education just released press release advising. Bugger....

On top of that have no water in Northwood, was turned of Sunday night.

Just heard that the 7 storey Manchester Courts Building is to be demolished... double bugger.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9a00304a6878.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 6-9-2010 by greenfruit]

[edit on 6-9-2010 by greenfruit]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Anyone in the Christchurch Canterbury area, tune in tonight on tv one for close up. The main topic seems to be possible outcomes such as aftershocks, bigger quakes. This will surely give us some idea of how to prepare.

I would also like to share the bad news, Christchurch Cathedral has developed new cracks since the two large aftershocks. I hope they are fixable, if not Christchurch residents will be dealt an even bigger blow. I find myself close to tears as i write this. It does seem bleak, with possible bigger quakes on the way, a 6.1 for definite. Its like your blindfolded, and you could be beaten, you dont know where or when, you just know its coming.

Keep safe all.

Semoro

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Semoro

Thanks for the update, I will definatly tune in tonight and watch.

In many ways, it's been way harder today than yesterday. The thought of more big aftershocks today is very scary and I really am not looking forward to another sleepless night like others here had last night.

Chin up to all my fellow Christchurch residents. You are not alone.

g

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   
No wonder we're on edge:

www.christchurchquakemap.co.nz...

Managing traumatic stress:

www.apa.org...

[edit on 7-9-2010 by aorAki]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   
It's been relatively quiet tonight with no significant aftershocks - I should be feeling good about this but my brain won't let me relax after last night's ordeal... we ended up sleeping in the car.

Gutted to hear the Cathedral has new quakes. I really hope they organise any demolitions and try to save our heritage buildings before the easy, cheap option of bowling them.

Hoping to get more sleep tonight - thoughts with all fellow Cantabrians out there.

x

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Wow, I only just found out about this today! I hope not too many people were hurt

I remember just earlier this year when we had an earthquake where I live, a 5.0 magnitude I think and that was pretty scary at the time, except it's not nearly as bad as this one is!! One of my closest friends' mother comes from New Zealand as does some of my Mum's friends, not sure where though, but they probably have family over there
, hope they're alright! Same with any ATS members from Christchurch, hope you're alright

I was just reading an article on ABC about the earthquake and it sounds horrible! A lot of people are scared
. And all the damage done, wow! I'd hate to experience an earthquake like that! I hope this is as bad as it gets and after this the aftershocks will be smaller and smaller until they eventually stop.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I have been waiting for this kind of stuff to occur. I am so saddened to hear about the destruction and I am thankful there hasn't been a massive lose of life.

I do believe Earth is going through her processes and more fissures are going to start to open in locations there were none before not only in your location but all around the Planet.

Be safe my friends.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Thought this might interest a few here ................. the solar flare.

The strongest solar flare in the past week, a B2.8 event occurred beginning about 15:00 UT and lasted to about 16:00 UT. The Christchurch event occurred about 35 minutes after the flare which began near local midnight in the region. The area is located about 20 degrees from the southern geomagnetic pole and auroral ionospheric currents pass nearby. Because the geomagnetic disturbance began about the time of the earthquake it is most likely that this was the immediate trigger for this event.
Dr. Lowell Whiteside

Sorry no source link, Don in California posted it on another forum.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

That is interesting indeed Muzzy! That information will have my brain going for awhile. Thank you for the info. I'm really not sure of the solar flares - but, if conditions are ripe, I guess I can see how they could help trigger an event. hmmmm

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
7:50 am NZT Wednesday

Just had a monster of a aftershock.... just waiting on Geonet to update details....

[edit on 7-9-2010 by greenfruit]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by greenfruit

Not good, I will search out see what i can find too, Stay safe xx

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join