It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7.0 earthquake hits Christchurch, New Zealand

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by greenfruit

Not good, I will search out see what i can find too, Stay safe xx

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
# Reference Number: 3368443
# NZST: Wed, Sep 8 2010 7:42 am
# Magnitude: 4.1
# Depth: 5 km
# Details: 20 km south-east of Darfield

www.geonet.org.nz...

UPDATE: This one was on geonet before the big one we just felt. Geonet has crashed just waiting for it to do its thing

I'm going for the 5's on this aftershock.

[edit on 7-9-2010 by greenfruit]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I strongly doubt that had any effect. It takes a little longer than 35 minutes for the ions to get here, it's why we get waring of what solar activity will do to communications or that there will be Auroral activity.

It was a big earthquake, biggest I've felt, luckily for me I was south in Dunedin, so it just shook me awake and my American wife freaked out. I've kin in CHCH and they are fine.

Originally posted by muzzy
Thought this might interest a few here ................. the solar flare.

The strongest solar flare in the past week, a B2.8 event occurred beginning about 15:00 UT and lasted to about 16:00 UT. The Christchurch event occurred about 35 minutes after the flare which began near local midnight in the region. The area is located about 20 degrees from the southern geomagnetic pole and auroral ionospheric currents pass nearby. Because the geomagnetic disturbance began about the time of the earthquake it is most likely that this was the immediate trigger for this event.
Dr. Lowell Whiteside

Sorry no source link, Don in California posted it on another forum.

link   
reply to post by greenfruit

Too right, a biggie there. Just when we think things are calming down......

link   

Originally posted by greenfruit
7:50 am NZT Wednesday

Just had a monster of a aftershock.... just waiting on Geonet to update details....

Yep, I'm shaking like a leaf.

Let's hope that was the last of the large aftershocks!

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
It may have been bigger than 4.1,

USGS are re evaluating the size,

Hope you guys are all ok, Try and take it as easy as you can,

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Its a 5.2 Just been re done,

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Reference Number: 3368445
NZST: Wed, Sep 8 2010 7:49 am
Magnitude: 5.1
Depth: 6 km
Details: 10 km north-west of Diamond Harbour

www.geonet.org.nz...

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Interesting that it is near Diamond Harbour now. We are getting good at guessing the scale of every aftershock....

Don't need this size aftershocks.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
edit: deleted
Too slow

have a look at the USGS depth ............ 1km

I notice on TV a lot of Yankee accents from the geologists, don't we have any experts of our own?, or are they camera shy?

[edit on 7-9-2010 by muzzy]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
There is a visiting academic from the USA that TVNZ have latched onto. New Zealand is filthy with experts, but the whole NZ cringe probably means TVNZ will go for the foreign "expert" every time.

Too slow

I notice on TV a lot of Yankee accents from the geologists, don't we have any experts of our own?, or are they camera shy?

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I have watched the IRIS map and couldn't figure out why your quake wasn't listed it usually is listed within an hour or so in red but it was days and when they listed it finally they had to post in yellow wonder why it took them so long, highly unusual.

They only post anything over 4

Weird that's all.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Blimey, what have you Kiwi's done to cop all this!

Better tell it to settle down, or you'll snap in half !!

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Noinden

There is a visiting academic from the USA that TVNZ have latched onto. New Zealand is filthy with experts, but the whole NZ cringe probably means TVNZ will go for the foreign "expert" every time.

Too slow

Also there are a lot of North American Academics working at New Zealand Universities etc....e.g. Dr Quigley is a Canadian, Kevin Furlong is a visiting Erskine Fellow from the 'States. they are poeple who we should be taking notice of. The newspaper and radio reports are interesting, but unless it's from an official source such as these guys, or IGNS, or Geonet, take them with a grain of salt....especially Paul Henry and John Campbell!

Originally posted by Noinden

They aren't 'experts' they ARE experts and it doesn't matter what their nationality is if they are here working and helping. It's nothing to do with the NZ Cringe, as evidenced by the very capable expert Dr Kelvin Berryman.

[edit on 7-9-2010 by aorAki]

This is better than IRIS for this event: www.christchurchquakemap.co.nz...

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf
Blimey, what have you Kiwi's done to cop all this!

Better tell it to settle down, or you'll snap in half !!

I guess it has to do with WINNING THE TRI NATIONS

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Just heard on the radio that the Lyttleton Tunnel has been closed after the aftershocks this morning.

They are advising people to fill up on fuel incase of petrol shortages.

EDIT - the tunnel is now re-opened!!! Oh dang, never mind at least i've got a full tank just incase of anything else happening!!

lol

g

[edit on 7-9-2010 by grantbeed]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Hey there affected Kiwis, heads up and be safe. Glad to hear
theres no casualties, know how you feel as we experienced only
a 5.6 in 89 here in newcastle and suffered 13 dead. We know you
Kiwis are strong willed and will overcome your adversities.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I wonder if South Island is moving away from Bank Peninsula calderas?!!

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

You and I will have to disagree on why TVNZ picked a visiting academic over a local one. When I say local I mean WORKS locally. I've seen the same shenanigans over Chemistry and Biochem (I hold a PhD in the formed, and a Masters in the latter) when they need an "expert".

I understand you are on edge, but I can be subjective down here thanks. There was no reason that the media could not have gone with someone local. Beyond this guy was at the epicenter, on the day, looking interested. At least they had Civil Defense locally, rather than asking someone say in CA.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Muzzy / Aoraki - any thoughts on the pattern of quakes? While watching the drum summary traces there's a definite pattern of "pairs" of quakes seperated by 10-15 mins or so..

.. wish they would allow viewers to "roll back" the traces to earlier times to compare...

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join