It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7.0 earthquake hits Christchurch, New Zealand

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Semoro

im by no means quilified to make a statement
but my gut says were in for up to a week of 4.0 earthquakes getting less and less frequent and shorter in duration as time goes by

what worries me is theres talk of "this isnt the big one we were expecting"

xploder

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Semoro

That is an entirely natural and valid response. I think the majority of us have frayed nerves!

We can expect more aftershocks and now that we're passed the 48 hour mark they should be becoming less regular, though there is always the potential for a large aftershocks up to two weeks away....without unduly unnerving you, after the Napier earthquake of 1931 there was a sizable (7.1) aftershock ten days later

The best thing is to ensure loose objects that have the potential to damage (bookshelves, tvs etc) are well-fastened (my bookshelves would have taken out the fish tanks if they hadn't been) and that precious items are blutacked down to minimize movement.
Ensure you have plenty of food and water (boil tap water for AT LEAST three minutes), assess the structural damage to your house (check around window/door frames for cracks, check for cracks in exterior and interior walls, check your foundations if you can, if you have a chimney and it is brick you might want to closely inspect it and if it is compromised it might need to come down....our neighbours are away and their cracked chimney is above their car), try to keep yourselves occupied, check on your neighbpurs and just try to ride it out as their isn't anything we can do to stop the rocking.

If you find yourselves increasingly worried, contact Civil Defence www.civildefence.govt.nz... emwebsite.nsf/wpg_url/locate-the-nearest-council-canterbury-index?opendocument

and keep communicating with people...

Keep us posted and kia kaha

Oh, and if it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down.

[edit on 5-9-2010 by aorAki]

Another link: all-geo.org... us/2010/09/tectonics-of-the-m7-earthquake-near-christchurch-new-zealand/

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Woh,

quite a large Aftershock there right now. About 12.35pm.

g

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

That last link is all screwed up here it is completed

I think everyone on the east coast of the South Island should read this because if he is right then there are more big ones to come on the Canterbury Plains.

The Marlborough Fault Zone moving southwards?? yikes.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Coincidence .... ?

* Date (NZ Mean Time): Saturday, September 1 1888 at 4:15 am
* Magnitude: MW 7.1

www.geonet.org.nz...

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzy
reply to post by aorAki

That last link is all screwed up here it is completed

I think everyone on the east coast of the South Island should read this because if he is right then there are more big ones to come on the Canterbury Plains.

The Marlborough Fault Zone moving southwards?? yikes.

Cheers muzzy...yeah, I'm a bit screwed up at the moment too :/

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Hmmm, i think that is just a coincident.

I think the amount of disruption its caused, the state of emergency should be extended for the rest of the week. If schools are populated and the big aftershock hits, then it will cause even more mayhem. Also stuff reports the chance this is a trigger for a series of earthquakes. The big one also could be closer. I hope you all are safe and stay there, as i do enjoy seeing kiwi's as a part of ATS.

Stay safe. Be prepared. Do not be caught of guard.

Semoro

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I'm in Invercargill of New Zealand, and this was felt here. Gentle rocker, made the hanging lights have a ball.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Sil3nt112

Oh so you are the person that lives in Invercargill.

Heard stories, but thought they were just that. Cool.

from cheeky Aucklander.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Semoro
Hmmm, i think that is just a coincident.

I think the amount of disruption its caused, the state of emergency should be extended for the rest of the week. If schools are populated and the big aftershock hits, then it will cause even more mayhem. Also stuff reports the chance this is a trigger for a series of earthquakes. The big one also could be closer. I hope you all are safe and stay there, as i do enjoy seeing kiwi's as a part of ATS.

Stay safe. Be prepared. Do not be caught of guard.

Semoro

I couldn't agree more. While my husband's company gave them today (Monday) off they are told to go back tomorrow (an I.T. firm). I'm not happy because a) he's exhausted, we all are - we live 10km from the epicentre and this weekend has been traumatic and continues to be extremely stressful with the aftershocks. b) I will be left alone in a rural situation while also stressed and nervous and seperated by 60km from my husband at work.

I think they should tell all businesses to shut up shop until at least Thursday. In fact, I think everyone is being extremely premature in "getting back to normal". Yes, we need to get back to a routine eventually but, come ON, it's only two days since this awful event shook our lives.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Yerp, just had one now (10:17 a.m.)....my nerves are frayed and while from an Academic point of view this is fascinating, I am also on the verge of tears

Ditto. My body is absolutely worn out from the continuous adrenalin rushes and then huge lows only to be shunted back into alertness by another aftershock. Not sure how much more I can take.. am trying to hold on and cope. Tomorrow I face my first day at home alone as hubby has to return to work. I shall probably go around and visit friends and neighbours as people really do need emotional support right now.

Stay safe everyone.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
My sincere condolences to my fellow brothers and sisters in New Zealand for suffering from the recent quake and the inconveniences as well as the fears that came along with it.

I am mostly glad none lost their precious lives over this quake. While the devastation was extreme, whatever destroyed can always be rebuild again, and material possessions earned back by insurances or work again, but should precious human lives be lost, nothing can ever bring it back.

The insignificant and nobody me made a thread back in feb 2010 on dealing with quakes through divine intervention as an experiment, and it may had been proven successful.

Earth hour 2010

The recent quake, which is already called and acknowledged as a miracle by your nation's leader, is a further testimonial of love from our Creator for humanity that calls upon His name ( something unfortunately our sisters and brothers in China perhaps through the challenge of lingo and politics, had been unable to recieve such grace and mercy..).

May more of you either individually or form a fellowship to give thanks and appreciation for the miracle given to you and your fellow citizens.

Cheers, though for those suffering from the realities of the quake, of material possessions destroyed or inconveniented, may not feel this manner, but hopefully, in time will realize the inestimable value of one's and one's loved ones treasured lives.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Hey all, If anyone could take some video of the damage they see could you u2u me?
Im looking to use it on the CC show!!

I can set up a way for you upload it if need be

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Tuesday morning.

didnt sleep well.....again

a number of aftershocks overnight - the biggest were 2x 5.4 magnitude jolts.
nerves are still frayed
very hard having to go back to work and leave my fiance and our son home alone - both are sick as well which doesnt help so cant really go anywhere.

Mother nature is still showing us whose boss

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I decided to sleep in my own room last night, yet as soon as the two large quakes hit and i saw the fear in my younger siblings eyes, i decided they and i i would feel more comfortable sleeping in the same room. They seem to be getting larger. I would like to offer any help if possible. If you need some help, advice or such, please feel free to ask.

I went for a walk around then neighbourhood to see if anyone wanted any help. What i found was a street uncovering their houses from silt and mud as a watermain had busted. One man, atleast 80, had to get his son in to dig up drainage ditchs yet his garage has sunk two foot in the back right corner, leaving it filled with water. A few houses down, theres still a leak with a large crack heading down the middle of the house. There doesnt seem to have been any direct damage to the house, but everytime you walk over the leak, it intensifys, meaning the house is sinking slowly. The worst thing is, many people will not be able to save their homes, as we dont have the resources or wealth to do so.

MoorfNZ: Please make your husband phone in, many businesses have either gone back to work to repair and clean up, but if their open and operating, please make him come home. The people who should be going to work are supermarket owners/workers, builders, electricians and so on. ICT is not required right now, so i hope the owner of the firm realises that. I hope you are safe, we can all get through this, we just have to keep fighting.

Peace with you all,
Semoro

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101
The recent quake, which is already called and acknowledged as a miracle by your nation's leader, is a further testimonial of love from our Creator for humanity that calls upon His name ( something unfortunately our sisters and brothers in China perhaps through the challenge of lingo and politics, had been unable to recieve such grace and mercy..).

I believe John Key would have been using the term "miracle" loosely, not specifically in terms of an 'act of God'. I understand that many will thank God that noone was killed. But is it a little naive to claim proof of love from our Creator without mentioning sringent building codes with our modern houses? I don't know, to me it just seems a little arrogant (although I know this was not your intention) to claim Cantabrians were graced with love, yet the "Creator" must have been pissed at China and Haiti. But hey what do I know, maybe that's exactly how it is.

I think your concept is a commendable effort, as long as it doesn't detract from the actual material things they need, such as clean water and sewerage systems, repairing of infrastructure, and housing for those whos houses are no longer safe. I have a feeling some of the 3rd and 4th year engineering students will be getting a fair bit more work experience than they envisioned just a week ago.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Everyone is safe at the moment. Luckily, the big one hit at 4.33am, so there wasn't alot of people around. Although New Zealand is a young country, there was alot of structural damage to the inner city. Some of these buildings are upto 150 years old. Although many are constructed of brick, the mortar used in those days was 'Lime' based which has resulted in more damage than would normally have happened. Many of these buildings, (icons as they are) have started to be pulled down because of them being so unsafe
Some newer buildings; mainly houses have been destroyed by liquifaction.
These have been built on mainly sandy soils. Recent bad weather has caused the ground to be sodden. When the earthquake hit, this resulted in a sort of quicksand effect and underground pipes burst and concrete pads under buildings have sank and cracked. Kiwi attitude has helped with the starting of the clean-up, although they are still getting aftershocks in the region of 5.4 on the richter scale. I'm an ex Brit. but to see Christchurch like this is heartbreaking. (Long live the Garden City).

Vernon

[edit on 6-9-2010 by tkay1956]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Another update from christchurch from me folks -

I've been sent home from work for the 2nd day in a row, mainly due to the fact there were some very big aftershocks last night.

People are becoming increasingly disheartened and down due to the sporadic nature and strength of the aftershocks, which seem to be worse in the hours of darkness.

Also, people with kids are really struggling. The kids cant sleep and therefore the parents cant sleep, but some employers are still expecting their employees in to work.

What a nightmare.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

Grant, I just popped in to let you know that you and your family have been in my thoughts!

All the best to you and yours.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Thankyou so much friend. It means a lot to us.

We were lucky compared to some people though. I know people who's houses have been ripped in two.

Last night has taken its toll on many of us. Hardly anyone slept and this morning at work everyone looked worn out.

My daughter is becoming increasingly clingy and is struggling to sleep at night.

Th news stated this morning that scientists are expecting an aftershock of at least 6.0 within the next week.

If only they could tell us exactly when!!

Grant

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join