It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7.0 earthquake hits Christchurch, New Zealand

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
A magnitude 7.0 earthquake has hit Christchurch, New Zealand. Are our ATS Kiwis OK?

earthquake.usgs.gov...

(Originally posted as a 7.4, but revised down to a 7.2, then a 7.0. Thread and title were updated to reflect new data.)

[edit on 3-9-2010 by sweetpeanc]

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Wow. That's a pretty strong shake...

I also hope the Kiwis are all OK.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Oh dear, Christchurch is quite well populated.

I hope it was deep enough to have not caused loads of damamge. Stay safe any ATS kiwis.

+1 more 
link   
First earthquake that I have ever felt and what an experience! Many nerves here as we are currently waiting for "The Big One" and this could be a sure sign that it is close at hand.

Aftershocks are still hitting, many people down here complaining about crockery and the like being smashed on the radio, nothing too serious in comparison to what goes on elsewhere!

Heres hoping that it doesn't cause a tsunami!

link   
The quake was centered 30 km from the city center. (Revised from 6 km in initial report)

For those who don't know, Christchurch is the second-largest city in New Zealand with a population of close to 400,000.

[edit on 3-9-2010 by sweetpeanc]

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Uh OH! I know a few kiwis, some here on ATS!

I hope they are all all right. And i hope they had a good little shake! A few months ago a 5.5 hit my city. I am on the 18th floor and ill tell ya, the run down the stairs was freaky. Walls cracking everywhere and dust flying out of the cracks.

Fun shake though. If i knew i would not have died it might have been more fun.

EDIT: Me saying i hope they had a fun shake can sound....bad and sick minded to some. What i mean is, if everyone is alright, i hope they enjoyed the experience.

[edit on 3-9-2010 by gandhi]

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by leprapom

Are you in NZ?

If so be safe and know that thoughts and prayers are with you!

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by leprapom
First earthquake that I have ever felt and what an experience! Many nerves here as we are currently waiting for "The Big One" and this could be a sure sign that it is close at hand.

Aftershocks are still hitting, many people down here complaining about crockery and the like being smashed on the radio, nothing too serious in comparison to what goes on elsewhere!

Heres hoping that it doesn't cause a tsunami!
Glad you're ok, are you close to Christchurch?

By your description it sounds as if it could be ok over there. I hope so.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
From: NOAA/NWS/West Coast and Alaska Tsunami Warning Center
Subject: Tsunami Information Statement #1 issued 09/3/2010 at 9:46AM PDT

A strong earthquake has occurred, but a tsunami IS NOT expected along the California, Oregon, Washington, British Columbia, or Alaska coast. NO tsunami warning, watch or advisory is in effect for these areas.

Based on the earthquake magnitude, location and historic tsunami records, a damaging tsunami IS NOT expected along the California, Oregon, Washington, British Columbia, and Alaska coasts. At coastal locations which have experienced strong ground shaking, local tsunamis are possible due to underwater landslides.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I am in Sumner, about three km outside of the central city. Still feeling some pretty significant aftershocks. Reports of some structural damage around the city; chimneys collapsing, main roads cracking etc!

Certainly serves as a good wakeup call for our small quiet city.

Appreciating your thoughts and prayer

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Yeah dang, I'm in the Hutt Valley and we even felt this.

The combination of a head that's spinning due to prior alcoholic engagements plus the earth shaking for a bit. Great experience.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Take care everybody...

I hope no one got hurt....

Sending good thoughts your way.....

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by leprapom
Many nerves here as we are currently waiting for "The Big One" and this could be a sure sign that it is close at hand.

Hopefully that was the big one!

Peace from Australia!

IRM

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Do we have any decent damage estimates yet?

I *assume that the damage will not be too severe. I also *assume that NZ has good infrastructure that is built to withstand a sizable quake.

But these are my *Assumptions.

I don't actually know exactly for sure.

If anyone has data please share it with me and others interested.

I am looking for information right now on it. Also I am looking for video of the aftermath, as I expect to see a lot of it on the internet anytime now.

Nice to see a lot of you folks in NZ still have net access. That's a good sign.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Here's hoping that that was it! Unfortunately I believe that it is expected it measure between 8 and 9 on the richter scale, so this is possibly a minute precursor to the events that are to come...

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Hoping everyone in NZ is okay, I'll pray for you all.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
There are power and phone outages throughout the city in some places. THere a several significant cracks in roads hindering some movement, but nothing that will prove to be too detrimental. Other than that I have heard reports of some of the older buildings in central city's roofs collapsing, but again they are only isolated incidents. In general all seems to be well.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
After shocks coming in at 5,7

Please take care! Thinking of our members who are there right now,
I hope all is ok..

Check in if you can!

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I am off to work. My thoughts go out to all others in areas that have been effected.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
There local radio is not saying any thing on Casualties, But some structural damage,

Some roads split in two...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join