It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inherent fear of Grays. A possible explanation?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
If greys ARE just a construct of the human imagination then the question that came to mind for me first was, whos flying the UFO's?

I've seen only two things in my short life that i believe were UFO's and im a very critical (ITS A CHINESE LANTERN!) thinking type of guy so i do believe that there are UFO's out there.

Unless they were piloted by robots or an A.I , there would need to be some sort of pilot wouldn't there?

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   
A very interesting theory.
But here is another scenario for all you critical thinkers out there.
Why am I not more afraid of devils and demons since I was indoctrinated with this fear long before the gray.

I can look at pictures of demons,stories of them and sure they give me a warm tingly feeling inside
,but they don't produce the feeling of disgust and fear that I have when seeing or reading about grays.

This is the question that I have been asking myself for some time.
Why am I afraid of them?
I have never seen a craft or an alien in my entire life and yet I am afraid of them.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by xSeraphim

That also points to something closer to our (at least to some people) instinctive fears, there must be something in the typical "gray" that we find more natural that on the representations of demons, because we, usually, do not fear things that we see as artificial.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
What about some of the more life-like androids? i've heard that a lot of people gets chills when looking at them, and there as artificial as you can get.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f0181e10c125.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by R3volutionary

In that case people see that they are artificial but they look too much like a real person, so what gives them that strange look is the fact that they do not look clearly artificial and they don't look really natural.

In my opinion, obviously.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by R3volutionary
What about some of the more life-like androids? i've heard that a lot of people gets chills when looking at them, and there as artificial as you can get.

It is called the Uncanny Valley.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   

If greys ARE just a construct of the human imagination then the question that came to mind for me first was, whos flying the UFO's?

You are making a few assumptions there; that UFOs are extraterrestrial craft and that if they are, then greys are the only creatures that could pilot them.

Unless they were piloted by robots or an A.I , there would need to be some sort of pilot wouldn't there?

We have sent plenty of craft to other worlds that have no pilots. I suspect that if extraterrestrial craft are visiting the Earth, they are controlled by artificial intelligence and not crewed by biological lifeforms.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Hey folks thread is still alive!!!

The uncanny valley hypothesis was brought up in Draevin's thread by a member too.

DoomsdayRex I think your totally right about the use of AI in the space program. It is just logical. Particularly in things like investigative drones, which may have many instruments to take samples and measurements of different variables.

As opposed to a remote controlled device, which has the limitations of time delay and distance. A computer system that could make it's own judgements about where to administer each instrument would be massively beneficial. Also to make real time judgement calls such as when weather conditions change.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
reply to post by xSeraphim

That also points to something closer to our (at least to some people) instinctive fears, there must be something in the typical "gray" that we find more natural that on the representations of demons, because we, usually, do not fear things that we see as artificial.

I think this is why I do not feel any avoidance to artificial humans as in the uncanny valley hypothesis. Because they are artificially created I do not necessarily respect them as a threat, as they are not biological in nature and therefore beneath me. The Gray on the other hand while they might be an example of a suppressed primitive birth memory as I believe, they are representative of a biological threat. Whether you believe that to be an alien organism or your human competition on Earth.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Regarding the question "Where is the body?": I killed the small Gray during one of my abductions on a Grays' ship. You can read about my experience and the experiences of other abductees killing short Grays on *snip*

Truman

Mod Edit: Terms & Conditions Of Use – Please Review This Link.
Edited out personal website as per the T&C

edit on 9/9/2010 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Truman Cash
Regarding the question "Where is the body?": I killed the small Gray during one of my abductions on a Grays' ship. You can read about my experience and the experiences of other abductees killing short Grays on MatrixRevealed.com.

So, coincidentally, there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever for your claim. You just happened to kill it on their ship. Right.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

What if it's a simple as the unknown? What if, you've given a face to he unknown that you fear, which might be either; helplessness, becasue it's dealing with abduction and birth and not being able to control anything about what's happeneing. Or that life outside Earth might be scary and unwelcoming and your having a hard time dealing with the concept of their being more to life then the usual routine...good luck with he cosmos he's a tricky dvil.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I share that fear too, I think it's natural to share a contemporary fear for the paranormal as you stated such as goblins and other particulars of folklore. Since antiquity there has certainly always been a morbid fear of some sort of bogeyman whatever he/she/it may have been or is now considered to be. I think primarily it plays in part with the popular view that we now have this current word we never had before, space-craft. An astronaut was not commonly known and any space farer could have been called whatever currently they could call them to encapsulate a description given their current utility provided by their language.

Getting back to what I'm saying is. I think it's important what to consider is that this fear strikes most before bed, and most often during the mid-hours of sleep. I would equate this terror more with something that seems to have been happening and continues to happen to us in our sleep. The grays just happen to fit that bill, but little to my experience of towards the realm of practicality have I ever experiencing such visitations. But definitely there is a fear. It's good to know that this is common, it may prove to be empirical and might play heavily in the realm of sleep to which a floodgate of new science may spew.

Kudos for the post.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 03:31 AM
link   
I feel obliged to point out firstly that I don't find them scary.

Secondly, you'll find an initial, often brief, shock reaction to anything that doesn't fit the norm. We're not talking about aliens, but even disabilities and the like. Once you get over the "surprise" period and logic kicks in, I don't see fear remaining.

I can say with some embarrasment that there was one occasion where my shock period was a little too long and the glowing white figure left before I began to relax. Waste really

I got to see the black ones though. They don't look like you'd expect at all.
edit on 2-1-2015 by simon155 because: addition

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 03:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Truman Cash

lol if there's any truth to that, you'd better hope you never bump into me while you're there.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 03:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: R3volutionary

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f0181e10c125.jpg[/atsimg]

Can't say that bothers me. I'm more curious than anything. I think you'll find the whole range of response through the population though.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 04:02 AM
link   
I have never had a phobia of them, but for some reason experience the most utter terror one night when I got lost driving in the middle of Nevada. I had followed an old map that looked like it had towns on it, but they were ghost towns and I started to realized I didn't have enough gas to even turn back so I kept driving. The weirdest thing was I became utterly afraid of aliens finding me, not running out of gas, or water when the sun came up. It was almost the deepest fear I have ever felt and yet never before or since.

Interesting thread. If anyone is interested in psychology surrounding birth and how it plays out in life, read some of Stanislav Grof's theories. Pretty interesting, can't really discuss it here though.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Let me ask another thing. I often wonder why all the aliens are so ugly. The Nordics are not, but then again they are freaky.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: igloo
That's weird! I mean not being afraid of wild animals but....aliens

I think we are conditioned, then again when I was 16 I saw a poster for the upcoming book called something like Communication that had a big Grey head on the cover.....brrrrrrrrrrrr. It scared me crapless. For years afterwards, now I feel sort of jaded.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 11:04 PM
link   
its a fear of getting old......the name gives it away.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join