It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inherent fear of Grays. A possible explanation?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Because humans are scared of difference and change.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nephi1337
i have fear of them i do ,i overcame it by getting it tattooed on my calf

so far so good

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

When I was younger, I used to think the overwhelming fear of the Grey was based on something akin to ancestral memories.

If there was external genetic tampering with our primative forefathers (and assuming, of course, that such a thing indeed happened) it was no doubt a traumatic experience for early man/woman.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Hi Everyone,

Im a long time reader, first-time poster on ATS.

From a young age i've always had a chill down my spine when thinking about aliens or looking at images in various media, but none of them creep me out more than the greys, i've even had several nightmares about them and used to stay up all night while i was younger just because i was affraid to go to sleep.

Now i cant recall any real encounter with said beings, but images of them still make my heart skip a beat and send a chill down my spine to this day.

I would agree that the media i grew up with was largely responsible however the idea of this fear being passed down through our ancestors is just as plausable (spl?) and would make a bit more sense to me as the things i used to watch when I was younger didnt really have your stereo-typical 'Grey' in it.

I'd just like to say i really enjoyed reading this thread and the comments made.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

I have to say I share a similar type of fear or "hairs on your neck standing up" type feeling when I think of grays etc.

Its an interesting theory you have but I have always put it down to instinct. Its not often that gut instinct is wrong when it comes to threats.

I have my own beliefs as to what aliens are but thats another topic.

[edit on 1-9-2010 by XXXN3O]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Hello folks thanks for the replies! Some really good questions that I will try to answer!

As always it's just a theory, I tend to deal best in hypothetical.

ArMaP first off you raise an excellent point about the lack of foetal vision, and also how this traditionally only develops after birth. The only way I can really reconcile this outstanding issue into the theory, is by drawing on the experiences of blind people.

When people who are blind from birth dream, they do not deal with visuals, only physical impressions, auditory experiences etc. They often dream of friends and family members and although they cannot see them technically they do have the ability to 'visualise' their dimensions.

Some blind people can also use sound waves to echo locate and work out shape and size of objects with incredible accuracy, which allows them to imagine spatial environments in their heads. Is it possible therefore, for an impression to be ingrained into the mind of a foetus even without visual stimulation? I answered your question with another but this could possibly be better answered with the combination of the next topic.

GENERAL EYES brought up the topic of ancestral memory something which exists without the need for sensory stimuli being committed to memory. Indeed it is genetic, and derivative of the experiences of our ancestors. This is responsible for some of our most primal fears and reactions to certain scenarios, and for some individuals may be exacerbated by a Neo-Lamarckian process.

This is the idea that an organism can pass on characteristics that it acquired during its lifetime to its offspring. So perhaps there is only the impression of the Gray type based on the physical characteristics of the foetus, and as we mature we fill in the blanks. After all no one's memory can be said to be 100% accurate, and it changes as we change.

www.theregister.co.uk...
www.accessexcellence.org...

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner
OK so there are a few problems with this theory that even I can see.
Since you've pointed out the problems I can agree with those that the ability to recall such fetal events is likely to be limited to vague impressions at best and not any specific image like a gray.

I think I was probably a little creeped out by popular media culture description of abductions by grays, though after listening to the lost Betty Hill interview just posted and hearing that she didn't think her abductors were creepy, maybe I overreacted.

Besides after watching every episode of Stargate SG-1, I no longer fear grays but have replaced my media-influenced perception of grays as the loveable Asgard in that TV series.

This is another good point and you may be right that these are just vague impressions. However even so, I believe that this question could be answered by the one I posted above. The impressions in the womb may be vague and generic, but with time they become the Gray alien type, after initially being generated as a result of our experiences in-utero.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner
Is it possible therefore, for an impression to be ingrained into the mind of a foetus even without visual stimulation?

I'm sure it can, but I think that not a visual impression, we need a lot of "processing power" just to see something simple as a red circle.

Ancestral memory or something like that looks more likely, because it would also explain the different reactions of people from different cultures. For example, we can see on movies and TV shows that, apparently, there's a tradition of monsters under the bed and inside closets in the US (I don't know how real that tradition may be), but that is something that does not exist in Portugal.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I don’t really feel warm and fuzzy about your theory…

But I absolutely understand the fear of the Grays. The thought of them made me quiver for probably 45 years.

I remember being afraid of them before I was even clear on what they looked liked.

My dad used to have me take the trash out to the curb when I was a young cub. When it was dark out I was deadly afraid to go in the garage. I remember being afraid that there were little “critters” hiding by the trash cans. I did not have a clear image in my mind of what they looked like, but in my mind they were human like but a lot smaller. I don’t even know why I thought there might be frightening little critters in the garage. Years later, after I remember getting my first good look at a grey, I realized that the grays were what I was afraid may be hiding in the garage.

During this same time frame, I sometimes would wake up at night thinking I had heard a noise. The first thing that would pop into my mind was “they’re here.” I would lay in bed dead still thinking any moment “they” were going to come into my room. This would always fill my with extreme fear. My feeling at that time was that “they” were the same critters that I was afraid was hiding in the garage. Again, at this point I had yet to have an image in my mind of what “they” looked like. Even after I became an adult I would wake up sometimes with the feeling that “they” were in the house. Possibly right outside my bedroom door.

When I was 9, I woke up one night and decided to look out he my bedroom window. In the back yard, there were 5 or 6 little critters hunched over, looking at something on the ground. One of them stood up and seemed to beckon me to come outside.

I did not!

I laid back down and went back to sleep. Those guys looked like the modern image of the grays. That was back in 1967. At that time I had never seen an image of what would later be known as the grays. I wasn’t afraid of them that night though.

But since then, up until I was about 45, anytime I would think of those critters, I would move into a state of abject terror. Intellectually, I felt my fears was extremely over egagerated. But I could not control it.

Somewhere around 45, I stopped being afraid of them. I don’t even know why I stopped fearing them.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
it's a simple explanation : fear of the unknown, you have no idea what if any their intentions are thus you fear them (if they exist)

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
mispost!

[edit on 2-9-2010 by clever024]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
Ancestral memory or something like that looks more likely, because it would also explain the different reactions of people from different cultures. For example, we can see on movies and TV shows that, apparently, there's a tradition of monsters under the bed and inside closets in the US (I don't know how real that tradition may be), but that is something that does not exist in Portugal.

While it does not exist in Portugal, a related folkloric tradition does exist. O homem do saco, the Sack Man. He comes around to collect unruly children into a sack and carries them off to do God-knows-what. Every culture has some sort of bogeyman tradition, some monster that preys on children.

That is what I suspect the grey aliens are, not aliens at all, but a construct of the human mind, a universal bogeyman. Descriptions of the entities behavior matches that of some aspects of bogeyman lore.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by DoomsdayRex
While it does not exist in Portugal, a related folkloric tradition does exist. O homem do saco, the Sack Man.

It's true, how do you know about that?

I think each culture (or, more specifically, each local version of any culture) has their own institutional fears, something they use to scare children (or even adults).

It would be a very interesting subject for a scientific study.

PS: my father's grandmother had her version of the "sack man", it was the "naked man with a knife in his pocket". I don't know if more people use this type of bogeyman.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   

It's true, how do you know about that?

It's kind of my job to know about folklore from different parts of the world.

I think each culture (or, more specifically, each local version of any culture) has their own institutional fears, something they use to scare children (or even adults).

Certainly. We still carry these stories even into adulthood, though we do not recognize them as such. Many urban legends shares the same aspect as folkloric lessons, warning us not to break some societal more or taboo. And popular slasher movies do the same, wherein teenagers are murdered by a supernatural bogeyman after breaking some social taboo.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
"Inherent fear of Greys": An interesting thought indeed. I am not entirely certain whether or not this fear is really "inherent", yet as far back as I can remember I had seen these creatures in movies such as ET and Mars Attacks.

Perhaps the fear itself is not inherent, but then begs the question that I always ask "Where did that come from?"

Great philosophers of the past have been baffled by the human mind, and it was Rene Descartes who proposed "tabula rasa" or "blank mind".

Assuming "tabula rasa" is indeed true, certainly then the image of the Greys we see on movies and magazines couldn't have been simply created in one's mind without actually witnessing them, could they?
Try to imagine the scariest image possible to yourself...... now think back as to what it is and where you'd seen it. Likely it's something you've seen or a combination of things you've seen that you just thought up.

There seems to be a lot of critical thinkers on this thread; thoughts?

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by NWO-Renegade

I have two theories:

(1) I wonder if Nuclear Warfare has been going on a lot longer than we contemporary humans could imagine. What if The Greys were once humans/humanoids, but their DNA was altered because they split the atom, and were forced to clone themselves, until they could find another population that was relatively compatible to their phenotype?

OR

I hate to be an arse with this one, but here goes...
(2) What if Aliens that don't look like greys came to Earth, posed as "God" (or even better, called themselves Yaweh) and terrorized the native inhabitants of Earth with Nuclear warfare and as a result, our children came out like this. Sodom and Gomorrah ring a bell? Or perhaps accounts in the Mahabharata may support this theoryATS Thread.

Thoughts?

[edit on 2-9-2010 by leira7]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by NWO-Renegade
Assuming "tabula rasa" is indeed true, certainly then the image of the Greys we see on movies and magazines couldn't have been simply created in one's mind without actually witnessing them, could they?

Like the Dream Caused by the Flight of a Bee around a Pomegranate a Second Before Awakening?

Try to imagine the scariest image possible to yourself...... now think back as to what it is and where you'd seen it. Likely it's something you've seen or a combination of things you've seen that you just thought up.

I don't remember anything visible that scares me.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
First of all, "Grays" are real. I know this because I am an abductee and have had many (rather negative) experiences with Grays. I have retrieved over 75 memories of experiences with ETs, mostly Grays.

Grays tend to incite fear in people because they are not human and they traumatize people. As an abduction researcher I have worked with 44 other abductees and there appears to be a natural response to defend oneself when confronted with Grays. In two cases the abductee responded with what I call "Grays bashing".

In these two cases the abductee was confronted with two short Grays right in front of them. In both cases the abductee immediately exhibited a survival response by reaching out and slamming the two Grays' heads together. This can actually kill a small Gray.

I have also killed a small Gray because they were going to implant me with an insidious brain implant. I am one of those abductees that try to fight back when abducted. They do incite a fear response. It is totally logical. Fear is a natural defense mechanism which can get the adrenalin going for fight or flight, i.e., self defense.

As a researcher I have found that abductees--that is, abductees who are not aware that they are abductees--often exhibit uneasy feelings or fear when seeing a picture of a Gray. I notice that this phenomenon especially began to occur with the publishing of Whitley Strieber's book Communion with a rather realistic picture of a tall Gray on it. However, I should also note that experiencing fear when viewing a picture of a Gray does not necessarily mean that that person is an abductee.

I've written two books on ET contact and they are available to read free of charge on the *Snip*
TLC

Mod Edit: Terms & Conditions Of Use – Please Review This Link.
Edited out personal website as per the T&C

edit on 9/9/2010 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   

"Inherent fear of Greys": An interesting thought indeed. I am not entirely certain whether or not this fear is really "inherent", yet as far back as I can remember I had seen these creatures in movies such as ET and Mars Attacks.

The aliens in ET and Mars Attacks can hardly be called "greys".

Of course they could. The human imagination is a wonderful, creative thing.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Truman Cash
I have also killed a small Gray because they were going to implant me with an insidious brain implant.

Where is the body?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join