It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inherent fear of Grays. A possible explanation?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Makes one wonder at the end of that tunnel if or when you die, just on to the next one, and the Doctor in white was God. Lol.

The fetal imprinting kind of a cool idea, but who knows if they were the Goblins or Orcs, or even Onis that would each man flesh in fantasy realms. Could be a few factors, like skin conditions or deformities through the ages that have been portrayed as such that could of been demonized.

As for more recent 21st century fears or why the grey image is the stereo typical alien, well I got two words.

Steven Speilberg

S&F

edit on 4-1-2015 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I was thinking of the same question yesterday, when someone posted some links concerning some abduction cases, and one of them struck me as being very similar to one of my experiences I had with my husband. Except she, upon seeing "grays" began screaming that they have "no souls". She is not even sure why she did that, it was something instinctual, and very frightening.

I did not have such a reaction, and it made me wonder- why do some people seem to have such a gut wrenching fear in response to the typical gray image??

The fetal memory idea is not bad- subconscious memory could be connected.

I tend to go more in the direction of symbolism in that which we see and experience, so what I think is the lack of features which give us information on the emotional state of an individual. Even as babies, we react to those cues, we look for them- a smile, a frown, these give us cues to their intent, their emotions, and whether they are friend or foe, threat or protection.

Having eyes, and the basic form of humans, they give us the sense of being conscious beings, capable of thought, but the lack of changing features and details suggest thought, intent, but without emotion, which many tend to consider the part of us which is responsible for empathy and ethical concern.

There are many people that consider that, without emotion, a being can only be threatening to others. A psychopath can only be dangerous.

The fact is, there are psychopaths that pose no danger to anyone else, and rational thought is capable of perceiving reasons for ethical behavior even without emotion. < But this is a highly debatable topic for us humans!
Whether or not someone reacts with horror at the impression of a consciousness without emotion might be related to how they feel on that subject. How much they trust intellect and reason.

If you ask, "What is the soul?" to people... including the first instinctual thought that arises concerning that concept,
you can often see some that will describe it as "self consciousness"- an awareness of self as individual, which is more or less a intellectual conception of what is and isn't "I".

Some others will describe it more in terms of "feeling", the more indistinct experience of connection with all life, the emotion that gives body to ideas. The experiencial instead of conceptual.

You get terms like either "head" or "heart".

So, if I put myself in the mindset of one who perceives "soul" to be that experiencial "heart" part of a being,
and imagine being faced with a gray, I can feel the horror and fear.

But, stepping back out of those shoes, (and back into my own, where I see it as perfectly possible reason can be ethical without emotion) I feel alert, and curious, but not afraid (which was my reaction to the experiences).
Alert, because my question in front of such a being is - just how "enlightened" or knowledgeable IS this being? Does their perception englobe more then their own intents as an individual? Or do they see the inter-dependance of all life forms?
The bigger schema and design?
THAT is what I think changes a threatening psychopath into a benign one.

<< 1  2  3   >>

join