It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Bloom Box: robbing the air of oxygen for cheap electricity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   

The Bloom Box: robbing the air of oxygen for cheap electricity

www.datelinezero.com

This is indeed a great market-driven answer to less expensive energy, and it is a fairly clean and green answer. But there is one thing that bugs me, and that one thing seems to be very “non-green.” In fact, that one thing is damn deadly for all of us.

The Bloom Boxes eat oxygen.

This is a machine that requires a small investment of energy, and provides a great return of energy in the form of electricity. What gets my attention is this: it soaks up oxygen as it produces electricity.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.newscientist.com

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
The article points out that the combustion -- like most any combustion -- draws in oxygen. The hot selling point is that it produces no co2.

But how is this a good thing? It is further destabilizing the environment ... an environment that is already getting low on oxygen, according to an article at New Scientist.

O2 and CO2 is a natural balance in our ecosystem, and we're messing around with that for short term, and sometimes short sighted, goals.

www.datelinezero.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I don't see any problem here.

Burning things to make energy also uses oxygen, but luckily we have plants and all that other stupid stuff in nature to make more.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
The Big O ....oxygen is so plentiful on earth that this won't even make a dent.

This is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen here...well.... almost.

It is so amusing to see so called "experts" that think mans activity can use up the earths O.

The best analogy I can think of...it's like peeing in the ocean causes pollution.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
The problem I see is that supposedly Tesla had some sort of device that did this.

The other problem is this is a conspiracy site and therefore saying that does the media report the lines of what they wish and does the company that pays said scientist dictate what is said and does the head scientist looking for fame and notability say what ever he or she likes knowing that other scientist will except there word as gospel and not test their theory, but it they do they will be an outcast and will not be able to get their findings published into science journals which are/may be owned by those who are trying to shape the world out come.

just a thought

I see is as a better alternative then paying Middle Eastern Countries.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by mother1138

Outside of Solar,hydroelectric, nuclear power, and even chemical batteries, everything we produce power with uses oxygen.

Your car's engine, gas lawnmower, your home's furnace, barbecue grill ALL use oxygen. AND also produce pollutants.

The good thing about the Bloom is that it produces electricity from even waste matter(methane gas) and Oxygen, but doesn't produce any exhaust, or pollutants in the process.

So in looking at the overall equation, if we produce less pollutants, ala CO2, it will allow the trees and other green plants/fauna producing Oxygen to eventually catch up and balance the amount of Oxygen in our atmosphere.

Because at the moment, we are in using fossil fuels at such a high rate. We are producing considerably more CO2 than our Forests can consume and produce Oxygen.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I have watched this Bloombox vid.
Many big names are already investing in it

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1

Burning things to make energy also uses oxygen, but luckily we have plants and all that other stupid stuff in nature to make more.

but is ALWAYS 100% of the time recycles that back into nature via Co2......

this boom box doesnt...

do we know effects ? nope..

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
what interested me most in that news repoprt i seen on Sunday was that some of the single units (64 unit power cells) cost $700.000.oo

sure its innovative, like the Google site that installed the first one...
but even electric substations & the ubiquitious transformers serving up to 3 homes will be less expensive to operate & maintain than the set up price of these electric power cells.

they sure pushed the same old axiom, with increased useage the costs will go down ....
don't they covertly mean the wafers being outsourced to either
russia or india, and mexican workers doing the installing will make the product competitvely priced?

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
The Main source of Earths Oxygen was originally produced by volcanic outgassing.
And also by:

Oxygen Production

Photochemical dissociation - breakup of water molecules by ultraviolet

Produced O2 levels approx. 1-2% current levels
At these levels O3 (Ozone) can form to shield Earth surface from UV

Photosynthesis - CO2 + H2O + sunlight = organic compounds + O2 - produced by cyanobacteria, and eventually higher plants - supplied the rest of O2 to atmosphere. Thus plant populations

Oxygen Consumers

Chemical Weathering - through oxidation of surface materials (early consumer)
Animal Respiration (much later)
Burning of Fossil Fuels (much, much later)

www.ux1.eiu.edu...

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1

As LucidDreamer85 said, burning things to make energy naturally replaces the oxygen with Co2. This is unnatural, it doesn't replace the spent oxygen with Co2 ... which, of course, the plants need to put oxygen back in the air.

So I don't understand how devices like this aren't going to help choke out living creatures that need O2 and Co2 to survive.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Do you think that this may be "propaganda" to kill a good idea?
We do have quite a bit of oxygen inside of this bubble we call the atmosphere.
Any thoughts?

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Read my post above yours. Maybe even educate yourself about atmospheric chemistry while your at it.
Deny ignorance.
The O levels on Earth have been rising for 10's of thousands of years.

where do you think it goes?

It does not disappear

This is just propaganda for the foolish and un-educated.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Just grow 1 acre of hemp to supplement for the loss of oxygen.

I doubt this will make its way to the public anyways...

just like every other device that we hear about that produces free energy.

[edit on 30-8-2010 by Jay Electronica]

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   

One of the biggest problems with the internet is that any idiot can publish an article and there will be enough people ready to buy it on face value not understanding any of the underlying concepts.

The vast majority of all CO2 on earth resides not in the atmosphere but in the oceans. As the oceans warm they release it into the atmosphere. If Bloom Boxes were everywhere they would have no net effect of the O2 levels on the planet. Do you have any idea how much O2 is devoured by a coal fired electrical plant?

The article is specious on its face.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Can someone tell me, please, what the waste product is of the cycle that doesn't product C0 or C02? There is always an output of every chemical reaction.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Yet another example of our so called 'scientists' releasing scare-monger statements that serves no purpose..

Putting things into perspective..

Currently the world population of oxygen breathing people stands at: 6,865,705,936 increasing by 76.2 Million a year

The recent fires in russia would have used up a LOT of oxygen in such a short space of time (not to mention the global pollution of oxygen) , yet there is still plenty to go around.

Now thats a lot of oxygen consumption for the above two examples alone, so i doubt the Bloom Box will make any impact what-so-ever on the worlds oxygen levels..

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jay Electronica
Just grow 1 acre of hemp to supplement for the loss of oxygen.

Well, hell. There you go.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Could very well be. Would big oil pay bloggers to "seed" fear?

Beats the hell outta killing people, I suppose.

top topics

join