It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I losing my Religion?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by AidanK

I am in the same position but it's only regarding religion, I do beilive in the creator of the universe but I don't think it or he or whatever it happens to be has a religion, It does not in my opinion.
The universe is so big, do you think the universe is christian, or budist ?
People need to wake up, everybody has been manipulated with religion, now they are pushing the new age religion and gaia, not that I don't care about the earth, but these people manipulate the sistem, they are gamers, praksters, they feed on us.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Questioning God is the first sign that you have not lost your faith nor your sanity.
Next is the step that most people of faith pass, still believe.
You gonna ask questions of the CREATOR?
Good for you. I think the way it goes is that the Lord would prefer that we ask for an ID rather than sell to a minor.
Ask all you want, the answers don't come, you got the wrong questions.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by AidanK

Originally posted by AidanK
Can anyone provide any advice here? Many thanks to you all.

Regardless about what others are saying in reply, no one 'here' can help you with your 'search' for answers. Even though Mother Teressa was apart of the Catholic Church, she also shared your observations about the world and God.

Just know that you are not alone, and you will find the answer at some point. It took me some time to realize that my Christian faith can exist without the guidance of a religious sect. Maybe that will help, or maybe that will not.

Good luck man.

[edit on 28-8-2010 by Section31]

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by AidanK

You asked the the question.

I watch the nightly news and see nothing but bad news and disasters befalling humanity around the globe. I really can't believe it but for the first time I'm starting to question how this can be. How can my loving God allow these things to happen?

And I know the answer. You have to realize the agreement made with the Jews back after they left Egypt is still binding on their descendent's and through them the world.

Read Leviticus 26. It's the contract he made with humanity through Moses. And what it does is detail the blessings and benefits of those under the contract.

And the punishments for breaking the laws he gave to Moses.

Many of the bad things happening in the world happen because humanity is breaking the agreement. Some of them are simply allowed to happen.

But you say Jesus Christ did away with this? Actually no.

Matthew 5.

17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill.
18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Now how do Christians get out of it?

Through faith. Read Hebrews 11. And the rest of Hebrews too. Through faith and Jesus Christ having become the high priest of the Covenant. He took on your divine punishments in your place. But there is still one thing to remember.

This is not God's world at present.

We are still in bondage to our bodies and our situation in this world. You are still going to have the every day worries and problems. Bodies age. Accidents happen. Bills to pay. and so on. Don't let the world get you down. A new world was promised. He will deliver.

Another thing here. Your restlessness may be due to that you are not getting what you need from your church. Try other churches. Take a look at the Protestant faith. Try reading the bible a bit every day. I found a TV ministry that focused on the end times got my interest restarted.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
People talk about the heart. They say follow your heart. Most people don't know what the heart is. The heart is a feeling in the chest. That feeling varies depending of how much you have been connected with it.

For example, if you lost touch with your heart then your thirst is big, big. It is felt as a hole in your soul. That feeling must be very disturbing and the best way to get rid of it is by being lured by the world with the things of the mind.

So, you must feel pretty bad. If that is so then you are on the right track. If you focus on that feeling at the beginning it will bother since that feeling is not comfortable. It is like starving for the stomach. Your heart is starving and the feeling of starvation is ugly. You must feel that feeling and try as much as possible to feel it no matter how unconfortable it might be.

Be in touch with your thirst, the hole in your chest. Be in touch wit hit. The door is your breath and the key is your heart. Obssess yourself with breathing and with feeling the feeling in the chest.

Do that and you will see that things will start to happen. The feeling in your heart is yours, not mine nor any other person. Your breath is for you, it is only for you. Bith thet feeling and breath are with you constantly, be with them, too.

Feel your heart. Just that is powerful. See yourself breathing and at the same time feel your heart. That is enough to start your spiritual path. If you cannot feel peace with that then write to me at [email protected] . I will help you if you request help.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ntech

I don't think replying with scripture is very logical. If someone came at me with chapter and verse, I would completely run in the other direction.

AidanK just needs to figure this out for himself, and sometimes scripture can get in the way of soul searching.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by AidanK

i felt just like you but i was way younger.I now consider myself somewhere agnostic and atheist. the important thing to do is, follow your instinct,do what you feel is good for yourself. Dont take counsil from a priest or a 100% atheist. just do whats best for you.
I stopped believing.And it felt amazing,life and the universe just looks much more complex for me now.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by AidanK

People talk about the heart. They say follow your heart. Most people don't know what the heart is. The heart is a feeling in the chest. That feeling varies depending of how much you have been connected with it.

For example, if you lost touch with your heart then your thirst is big, big. It is felt as a hole in your soul. That feeling must be very disturbing and the best way to get rid of it is by being lured by the world with the things of the mind.

So, you must feel pretty bad. If that is so then you are on the right track. If you focus on that feeling at the beginning it will bother since that feeling is not comfortable. It is like starving for the stomach. Your heart is starving and the feeling of starvation is ugly. You must feel that feeling and try as much as possible to feel it no matter how unconfortable it might be.

Be in touch with your thirst, the hole in your chest. Be in touch wit hit. The door is your breath and the key is your heart. Obssess yourself with breathing and with feeling the feeling in the chest.

Do that and you will see that things will start to happen. The feeling in your heart is yours, not mine nor any other person. Your breath is for you, it is only for you. Bith thet feeling and breath are with you constantly, be with them, too.

Feel your heart. Just that is powerful. See yourself breathing and at the same time feel your heart. That is enough to start your spiritual path. If you cannot feel peace with that then write to me at [email protected] . I will help you if you request help.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by AidanK

I am sorry things have not been working out so well with you and God lately.

Im not a real religious person myself but what I have found in reading the bible the one thing it expresses is to be a righteous person. What this means to me is do unto others as you would want them do for you. Lie and you wont be lied to. Steal or you will be stolen from. Hate and you will be hated....get my drift? This is telling me what goes around comes around..maybe thats why the world is round..lol.
Are you truely not sinning? Are you truely asking for Gods forgivness and meaning it? This is what you should ask yourself. When you ask God for help are you telling him about your sins?

Take a good look at yourself before you blame God for anything and understand he is just teaching you how to be a righteous person. When you can say to yourself I have been following all of Gods request in the bible
but still I can not get a break then I can say God is not working for you .

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Stop looking to a damned space ghost for justice and be the change you want to see.

turn off the TV...the world isn't as bad as the television skews it to be to begin with...its on TV because TV holds through terror and intensity...walk out your door to see how your world is doing...are the neighbors murdering and eating one another?

You want something to go good? Its simple...go do something nice for someone without requesting payment...granted, that may not have done anything for you...but you know what...that random person you did something nice to...well, you did something for them.

back to the first statement...be the change you want to see.

a deity is NOT going to come down here and make everyone be nice to one another, especially when you, a theoretical worshipper of said deity, cant be bothered to do it yourself...(not saying you dont do nice things for random people, but mostly people dont).

anyhow, good luck, I recommend agnostic spiritualism...learn the positive aspects of yourself and your own energy and try to use that..far less confusing and more fulfilling imo.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by AidanK

Here is a quote that may help you out as it has inspired me:

"On the mountains of truth you can never climb in vain: either you will reach a point higher up today, or you will be training your powers so that you will be able to climb higher tomorrow."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

My personal experience has been to question religion at a young age, I was even vehemently atheist- I'd make fun of religion, lengthily/angrily criticize it, and I'd argue with other kids/teens about it. Of course I've softened my sharp edge over time, becoming less abrasive/offensive about religion, more accepting and even more open to notions of spirituality. HOWEVER, I remain essentially agnostic/atheist. Growing up in a very religious town (and country) while questioning religion may have spurned such an extreme reaction in me... I sort of felt I had to fight an army as one lone person. I also wasn't alone though... I had a decent number of peers/friends who were also atheist, agnostic or believers who questioned most of their religion.

I'm not sure what the ratio is amongst generations, but it really seems like my generation (I'm in my early 20's) is far more prone to atheism/agnosticism than other generations. I don't see this as a bad thing... I view it as simply the discarding of outdated notions in favor of more enlightened/true ones. The vast majority of us also live quite normally without religion and haven't had much trouble moving on with our lives and our learning.

Just know that it's absolutely normal to feel fear, apprehension and even alienation when you question some of your deepest beliefs. Also know that- YOU HAVE FRIENDS! And they are NOT evil, cursed, damned or lost. Countless people (of all walks of life) have taken the journey of questioning their religion and it is largely held that- if there IS a god... he/she/it likely respects the use of our brains/free will to seek the truth rather than blindly adhere to man-made doctrines. Also you must realize that it is absolutely possible to shed your religion and still retain a belief in god. I've found the best policy on god is to just shed all the things other humans have told you and just seek god ON YOUR OWN; if you still find there is a god then develop your own relationship with it, not somebody else's; if you find that there is no god then that's perfectly okay as you can still live a happy, moral life without such beliefs.

I feel that perhaps you feel like you're losing a dear old friend (in your religion) and are experiencing some confusion and many struggles pulling at your mind. But just remember- this too shall pass and as long as you do what you feel is right/true then you will come out of it feeling even BETTER than before. Every human must piece together their own mosaic of truth and trust themselves to find it.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
You cannot truly open your mind until your mind is free from religion.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by AidanK

This is the first time I have joined this site and the very first post I am making here.

Actually I only joined just to reply to your post because I do feel for your position and I wanted to give you some help as others have kindly done so aswell.

I am not quite sure what this site is all about and hopefully I do not break any rules, it is not my intention, but here goes.

Several decades ago when I went to university I was going through my own questionings about what is the meaning of Life and I was not sure if there was life after death and so on. And I knew I needed to believe in something because I knew I was very weak and insecure. But that in iteslf does NOT prove the theory that that is why we need religion. Because there is a saying that thirst is the surest proof for the existence of water. What this means is that if in fact water does NOT exist anywhere in the whole universe, in the whole creation of being, then there would never be a thirst for something that does not exist! Therefore a thirst means that it is a sign that it exists. Having a thirst for God means that God must exist. For if God does not exist then the thirst itself could not be there! You cannot thirst for something that does not exist.

I felt at the time that all religions were at odds with each other and were too concerned about following their own special rules which in the end, the rules were more important than Spirituality itself which was the purpose of religion in the very first place!

Religion is a man-made concept designed to spread the teachings of Jesus, Mohammed, Buddha and other spiritual evolved beings who have a message to convey to humanity. Don’t get me wrong. Religion has a place to spread spirituality but often it forgets the spiritual bit and focuses too much on outer forms. This message is a Spiritual one. But the task is daunting. How can you convey such a Spiritual message to the masses if they do not have the intellect to understand profound metaphysical Truths which in actual fact do not run contrary to Science but is married to it?

In order to speak to the masses at that time you have to use a language they can understand, it has to be simplified and and in order that it may be understood Jesus used allegorical examples which are NOT to be taken literally! It is the Spiritual message that is to be followed NOT the outer forms. And here is where one of the problems we have is that religion will take some of these allegorical messages literally when in fact it was meant to be taken as an example to explain a Spiritual Truth. Jesus or any other spiritual leader usually speaks simply to the masses and often in allegorical forms. How can you expect Jesus or any other spiritual leader to explain in detail to the masses how the Universe was formed, the principles of negative and positive polarity in all things, the workings of the atom, proton, and the concepts of consciousness, sub-consciousness and Cosmic Consciousness etc? Hence symbolism and allegory was used such as Adam and Eve, the Apple and the Serpent. Not that there was really an Adam who had an Eve and then a real live Serpent came along. He was talking allegorically here.

For example if you don’t recognize Jesus as your Saviour then you are not going to be saved. So my reasoning is that all the other nations and cultures that did not know about Jesus will not be saved and all the other forms of Beings that are out there in the Universe and Galaxies are not going to be saved because they did not meet Jesus or even knew about him even though they are ALL created by Him Our Father. And when Jesus spoke of Him, God is NOT a man but he had to use some allegory to explain God. Try explaining the workings of the Cosmos in metaphysical terminology to the masses at that time!

I felt at the time or sensed that any religion was not going to give me the answer. There are many religions on the planet and they all have their particular rules, regulations and guide lines and their own particular form of spiritual personage to follow.

There was always this conflict between religion and science. I needed to find what it was that does not make this conflict. Science is man made. Religion is man made. But the essence of ALL things is not man made – it is TRUTH. No matter what you believe in or not believe in this TRUTH will always be there.

To me ALL religions are pointing towards the same goal, towards this TRUTH, towards this Spirituality, towards this something that cannot be intellectually explained, but it can be sensed within the depths of your Being.

And as it was mentioned in the other posts the answer DOES come from within! Even Jesus said that!

But, unless I missed the post, no one seemed to point you to the way as to HOW you get to the answer within! They were all correct in saying listen to your feelings, to what feels right. That is absolutely correct even thought at times if we are not truly in tune with ourselves we may not quite know what is the right way to go.

My own personal advice - but again like others have said, take it with a pinch of salt, do what you feel inside is the right course to follow – is to take up some form of Meditation.

It is through Meditation you get into contact with that part which is inside of you, that is your true Higher Self, which is the Spiritual part of you. This Higher Self or Spiritual Self or call it what you will is the part that is connected to every person’s Higher Self which is connected again to God, Higher Being or the Cosmic Consciousness which is the ALL. We are ALL connected to each other and to this Universal Cosmic Consciousnes or put it simply God.

When you meditate, just be PRESENT. Do not think about the Past or the Future. Just be Present within yourself. Because it is by Being Present that you free you Mind from thinking thoughts. When you are able to be Conscious WITHOUT thinking then you are entering the SPACE or GAP that is between two thoughts! It is this GAP that holds the power and NOT the thinking. The thinking holds the EGO.

Sorry I am making it complicated. There are many books on meditation and there are many sites on meditation. Just do a simple 20 minutes of focusing on your breath as it goes in and out. Focus on the breathing. If you become aware that your mind is running away into thinking again, then just gently focus back again to your breathing. By focusing on your breathing you become PRESENT. Slowly your Mind will stop thinking. Then you are just aware. Doing this you are attuning yourself to the Divine Presence within that is there to give you guidance and answers.

People who meditate sooner or later find Peace entering their heart and you will find that events will start to move in your favour. Jesus and all great mystics have mentioned that to find God or Peace one must go into the Silence. This is what meditation does. You STILL your thoughts to find the SILENCE.

Consider this. Your Mind is constantly thinking. Your Mind is either wishing for the Past or it is wishing for the Future. It never wants to be in the Present. Your Mind is like a sea where on the surface you are agitated by stormy winds and waves. But deep below the surface of the sea, the further you go down, there is no wave or agitation. No matter how stormy the weather above, the deeper levels remain calm, untouched by the surface turbulance of Life. That is where Meditation is leading you to. You still your Mind so that God can speak to you. If your Mind is turbulent constantly opened to the outdoor world then it cannot speak to you.

Consider this. Your Mind is like the surface of a Pond. When through Meditation you have stilled your Mind, that is you have no thoughts, they are not jumping around in agitation, then your Mind is like the glassy surface of a Pond - smooth and flat. In this state, you begin to feel the faint ripples or vibration that comes from your Inner Higher Self, the God Within, and it is in this way that communications are made.

In this way, through the practice of Meditation, you are stilling your Mind so much so that you are preparing yourself to pick up the impulses from the God Within, your Higher Divine Self which is connected to Everything.

The reason that most people do not pick up whisperings from God is because their Minds are continuously bombarded with activities from the outside world, their thoughts are turned outwards, not inwards and stilled. In order for you to hear or feel the whisperings of Your Higher Self you need to be Silent, you need to have your Mind stilled, flat so that it is abe to pick up the reflections or impulses of God’s Mind!

It is a bit like when you are making a lot of mental and verbal noise you cannot hear a pin drop. But when all is still and quiet then you can hear the pin drop. That is how God is to be reached, through Silence. You do not reach God through the intellect, you reach Him in the Stillness of your Presence.

Please get any book or go to any site that shows you how to do a simple Meditation using the breath technique or whatever works for you. Don’t get yourself too wrapped up in too many techniques or go into too many debates. Just do a meditation that focusses on your breath. When your thoughts go off, pull it gently back to your breath. The purpose here is to still your Mind and to focus ONLY on the Present.

How often it is said, ‘seek and ye shall find’, ‘God is within you’, ‘Peace is from within’ and so on. And yet no one tells you how does one do that then? How does one go within? What precisely does it mean to go within? Okay, tell me what to do?

That was one of the main problems I had with most religions. They keep quoting from the bible about this ‘within place’ but the bible never tells you exactly how to do it! Except for religions like Buddhism it shows you the techiniques. So I DO recommend meditation. That is the link to the ‘Almighty’ in a practical sense.

One book I do recommend is “Practicing The Power of Now” by Eckahrt Tolle.

I wish you Light and Peace and my warmest best wishes.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by AidanK

I have only read a few posts in this thread and they are well not exactly of my opinion.

I am not religious but I have been part of so many miraculous events that I know we have a higher power. I call it God.

These times in my opinion is proof of a god. If this world was not being finally revealed for the way its been run since tyrants and small greedy people have gained power from the beginning, then I would start to wonder if there is a God.

I told my wife over six years ago this time was coming. I told her be ready for things to come to a head between the end of 2008 until 2012. I told her the world would get so crazy a Topsy turvy people are going to think they are losing there minds. I said this is going to be the time of the revealing, the time when we are shown that we cannot live like we have for the past five millenniums. I said that God was going to let the greedy heartless ones show there hand and even the dimmest of people would finally realize this old world way has to die.

We cannot have a new and better world until this old one collapses in its tracks. God works on such a large scale it is very hard for us to understand whats going on in our limited experience.

You do not need religion to find God. God is love perfected. We would never advance in our souls journey unless we move forward and not just let these people that run the show control everything forever.

For the first time mankind is growing up out of its teen angst and are becoming real adults.

Let God back in your heart without the religion that is your first step.

The wheat is being separated from the chaff.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by wolf727

Nice my friend welcome to ATS! You have articulated spirituality very well. Good job!

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by AidanK

My advice, the sooner you let go of religion the better. Letting go of God can seem like letting go of hope but you have to realize that hope is something within you, it doesn't come from some invisible man in the sky. Where is the divine intervention? Where are the miracles so many profess to be happening? And why for every miracle must thousands of children die of starvation and preventable disease EVERY SINGLE DAY?

God or no God we are on our own. So we live in a world where there appears to be no divine help and even if there is a God he/she/it is making no apparent difference.

Loosing religion can be a painful experience but its also very liberating. I used to be a fundamentalist Christian but after years and years of thought, of studying the Bible and the world we live in, I stopped believing. I'm an atheist now. Don't be afraid to lose your religion:

Feel free to lose religion

Just don't lose hope.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

Dont listen to others especially someone that has never touched true spirituality like a fundamental Christian. They lose faith at the drop of a hat because they have not been taught the big picture.

If you chose to listen to anyone that new poster wolf727 hit it right between the eyes.

If you read "The Power of Now" by Eckart Tolle you will have a much better understanding of the bigger picture.

It is the silence between the notes that make it music, otherwise its just noise. Good luck in your journey.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by LoneGunMan

The No true Scotsman Fallacy, "Don't listen to that guy, he wasn't a real Christian"

You're barking up the wrong tree. I went to a Pentecostal church and even spoke in tongues.

The reason faith crumbles so easily is because it is a belief that isn't based on evidence, it is ignorance or indoctrination based.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Schleprock

Thanks, I understand what you mean, I also believe on predestined life.

But this thread is not by any means the right place for that topic now.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
There is no kingdom of heaven,angels or saints,there is no loving caring anything out there other than the odd human heart and there is no faith,dogma,doctrine or creed on this planet worth a cup of warm piss they are all information memes of the powers that be with often evil archon backing,those you love and care about OP is it-there is nothing beyond that.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join