It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michio Kaku comments UFOs and Leslie Kean's book - Aug 23, 2010

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by angrywhitechick

I did have to laugh about the comment that maybe "they" are so technically advanced that they are not that interested in us.

Yes, they aren't interested, there's no point in making contact. Why should they contact us???? People can give reasons just because WE want to be contacted.

The reason why they still possibly visit this planet is curiosity, in my opinion, it's always "fun" to take a look at something different. Why wouldn't they enjoy watching or understanding(studying) another civilization?

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
This has been said many times..

If "they" really are -let's say- thousands (or hundreds of thousands) of years ahead of us, why would they contact us? How do you "contact" an ant?

They'd probably be interested in us from a scientific point of view, study us like primitive lifeforms that we are. Study our behavioral patterns, collective living, technological advancement etc.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Hi Kandinsky, do you pronounce your name Kan Din Skee ?

Good find, My stance on this is he is saying what alot of poeple have said for a long time. Which is that we should not think of our selves as alone.

And if there 1000 years or a even a million, then galactic travel should quite easy.

If this is the beginning of disclosure ,which I do not, then it will be a very long process indeed.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jeronimo

I did have to laugh about the comment that maybe "they" are so technically advanced that they are not that interested in us.

Yes, they aren't interested, there's no point in making contact. Why should they contact us???? People can give reasons just because WE want to be contacted.

The reason why they still possibly visit this planet is curiosity, in my opinion, it's always "fun" to take a look at something different. Why wouldn't they enjoy watching or understanding(studying) another civilization?

First of all I dont think Kaku believes this story/analogy about us being like ants etc . Its a cute thing to say when they ask ,,why didn't they land in whitehouse lawn" in lamestream media .

Altho this could be true, if there is so kinda of repeating pattern in the universe when it comes to evolution . If They saw 1000 civilizations evolving in similiar way then I guess they wouldn't be interested .

But if each civilization / species has it's own "story" then we would be interesting to observe, despite the technological level .

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
Kaku comments on the core hypothesis whereby 5% of UFO sightings could represent life from somewhere else. He backs Leslie Kean's book as a great place to start reading about that magical '5%'

In a private conversation, Kaku has commented that he thinks the ETH is a probable explanation for some reports. That's quite a statement!

I totally agree with you, and having these people actually having a sit down and discussion about this really helps to clear much of the UFO issues that have been faced over the decades.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   

I did have to laugh about the comment that maybe "they" are so technically advanced that they are not that interested in us. If even only 5% of sightings are sightings of intelligently controlled craft of some sort it seems like they are indeed interested in us.

Who says it is us they are interested in? Humans are not the only resource this planet possesses.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Let's keep this on topic and off each other, OK?

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tryptych
If "they" really are -let's say- thousands (or hundreds of thousands) of years ahead of us, why would they contact us? How do you "contact" an ant?

Many are hostile to this idea, as they are that aliens we meet may be synthetic life not biological, because it is the antithesis of their poor science-fiction-bred dreams and religious fantasies.

[edit on 24-8-2010 by DoomsdayRex]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by hoghead cheese

Thanks for the post. You and me are usually arguing about who built the pyramids. A disagreement in one thread doesn't have to carry on in another thread.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alpha_Blue
"We will inevitably make contact with Alien life...get use to it" Is that an order mr. kaku ?

now he strongly suggests that this 5 % of UFO could be ET . hmmm

Year ago I didn't believe in disclosure happening . Now I can't help to see the paradigm shift happening and baby steps to some revelation
You didn't hear Kaku's interview where he said that if alien contact is made, there probably shouldn't be disclosure because he doesn't think we can handle it?

I think he's absolutely wrong about that, I think a lot of people would just say "Of course we already knew it, it's about time you admitted it". So that's the problem I have with Kaku, along with his portrayal of highly speculative ideas as perhaps more realistic than they actually are. But overall he's a good egg, bringing popularity to real science sort of like Sagan did.

Originally posted by TravisT

Originally posted by DoomsdayRex

Originally posted by Kandinsky
Kaku comments on the core hypothesis whereby 5% of UFO sightings could represent life from somewhere else.

Apologies if this is in the video (it will not load) but why 5%? How does Kaku come up with that number?
That's what the book is about. It talks about how there are a TON of sightings, and maybe 5% of those could be actual, intelligently controlled, flying crafts. He's basically just talking about the premise of the book.
That's not how Kean portrays the book on the Colbert interview, she says her witnesses (generals, officials, pilots) "don't think they're aliens" :

Kean: "High level officials have come forward in this book, generals, government officials have investigated on behalf of governments, pilots...."

Colbert: "What generals think there are aliens out there"

Kean: "They don't think they're aliens and that's one of the points they all make in this book, we don't know what they are"

Originally posted by Tryptych
Leslie Kean on Colbert (August 23, 2010)

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Interesting Interview. It good to see a certain sea change in attitudes to this subject, even if the News media are still hiring Buffons to do the questioning. I myself am not a believer in the ETH hypothesis, I believe Vallée is more correct in his analysis of this phenomenon, as any person of course could be correct on a subject, that we know very little about anyway

I think we have to try get serious people involved in the subject before we can start discuss the weird aspects of this phenomenon. So i fully support her endeavours to help bring this news story to a wider audience of non believers and individuals who are ignorant to this subject.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
@Arbitrageur

No I didn't hear Kaku saying that we can't handle it, and if he thinks we can't handle it why is he in the mainstream doing what he is doing
When did he made that statement ?

This whole idea about people panicking and what not didn't ever made sense to me . Even if few fundamentals jump out of the window, who cares ?

I'd be far more worried about people not asking questions after the disclosure ( man i hate using that word
) . I'd be more worried that if ET life doesn't affect average's joe : sex life, beer intake, his sports team performance and income then it will be just like another holywood movie for him .

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jeronimo

What I know to be pointless for sure right now is assuming to know what aliens would or wouldn't be interested in, and for which reasons.

Your speculation about why aliens wouldn't contact us has as much validity as the believers' — who assume to know the reasons why they are interested.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
OMFG!
did anyone just read between the lines?

"could! be millions of years ahead of us and they dont want anything to do with us"

duh, but if i was around for millions of years id love to watch this little anthill grow?
but.. were starting to weaponize space soo maybe they're starting to take us a bit more seriously, maybe they dont want us to totally destory earth with our nukes..
anyone reading me?
something big is going to happen soon

[edit on 24-8-2010 by JayXBraun]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Spangler

What I know to be pointless for sure right now is assuming to know what aliens would or wouldn't be interested in, and for which reasons.

...speculation about why aliens wouldn't contact us has as much validity as the believers' — who assume to know the reasons why they are interested.

Good points. Arguing about motivations is putting the cart before the horse. We don't know if there is a horse.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Nice post:=I got to admit i do get abit angry that Mr kaku doesnt tell the entire truth, i guess he has a silence-treaty as everyone else and waiting for the government to do it themselves.

At least this fits the 18 months plan
=

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Michio Kaku was there to ask questions about someone's book. He didn't say anything that we do not know. Did you also catch how he was promoting his own tv-series. Lol...

Dylan, "Does this confirm that there is life on other planets?"
Kaku, "I would not go that far."

Update:: MSNBC Clip:: Leslie Kean
(Clip Called "Close Encounters On Record")

This book is meaningless. It doesn't give us anything 'substantial' to examine.

[edit on 24-8-2010 by Section31]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I was watching Gametrailers TV this week and they interviewed Michio Kaku and asked the question "In Infamous th main character gets the ability to control electricity, What are your thoughts on people controling the weather in the real world" or somhing like that.

Michio kaku then talks about cloud seeding being unreliable at best.

I'm thinking WTF, HAARP can control the upper ionosphere, redirect air currents, push around storms, cause earthquakes. Humans have this technology. Why are you a liar doctor Michio Kaku?

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alpha_Blue
@Arbitrageur

No I didn't hear Kaku saying that we can't handle it, and if he thinks we can't handle it why is he in the mainstream doing what he is doing
When did he made that statement ?

This whole idea about people panicking and what not didn't ever made sense to me . Even if few fundamentals jump out of the window, who cares ?

I'd be far more worried about people not asking questions after the disclosure ( man i hate using that word
) . I'd be more worried that if ET life doesn't affect average's joe : sex life, beer intake, his sports team performance and income then it will be just like another holywood movie for him .

Here it is on Coast to Coast:

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join