It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Is On Facebook

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by jokei
Actually... the message is ambiguous.

No. It's very specific to people who already have a Facebook account.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

A Disgrace ... rather strong words there ... WHY?

Simply because yet another effort has been made to get ATS Members' voices out to as broad an audience as possible?

As Bill mentioned previously, there's NO requirement. There's No points nor status awards for doing so. AND there's No harm Nor foul if one chooses Not to - It's completely up to the individual Member.

I mean, based on the seeming overall positive response to such in the rather brief time since it's inception, there would appear a fairly significant portion of ATS Members who are More than willing to embrace the same and spread the word.

For those who choose not to, so be it. Again, No harm. No foul.

BUT ... and this is what perhaps baffles me the most ... each and Every time ATS has taken it upon herself to reach out and embrace new resources, new technologies and new venues near guaranteed to increase exposure to the myriad of topics and issues discussed here ... on come the naysayers, detractors and whingers decrying how ATS has sold out. ATS has gone too mainstream. ATS is no longer the same.

Of course She's Not. Why in the world would Any One wish that sort of stagnated and virtually guaranteed demise upon those topics and issues we so Strive to see the light of day by the Many who would otherwise not have a clue about? ... nor be aware of or exposed to?

It's only through exposure to said topics and interests which we entertain here day in and day out, to As Many folks As Possible, that we can Ever hope to see them come to fruition as "table side talks" or common household terms of endearment and discussion.

Isn't that the Sole purpose of our venture here? ... to enlightmen or at least intrigue Joe Q. Public to have and/or at least take an interest in those same topics and concerns he was ignorant of or blind to yesterday?

Just sayin' ...

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Im not sure why some are so bent out of shape over this

If you absolutely hate and do not trust FB, dont join it. It really is that very simple.

However, many people love FB and love that ATS has created this obviously since the people joining is growing super fast by the minute. All those people joining and the fact the ATS FB page exists will have no negative bearing on anyone's experience here at ATS or your life off of ATS.

As I have said before....I have a FB page that I signed up for the sole purpose of ATS. I dont have my name or anything super personal on it unless I chose to share things with people. I go by Greeneyedleo ATS NOT my real name and it has had ZERO negative impact on my life. Maybe some positive impact. Everyone did wish me a happy birthday

I havent had any ATSers showing up at my door in the middle of the night. No government agents have shown up to take me away in the middle of the night. My life has not changed at all since I opened that account.

Seriously. I just dont get all the people so incredibly unhappy about all this. *shrug*

[edit on August 24th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I can see both "Sides" of this argument really.... but this is only really another step ATS has taken towards the mainstream, not the beginning.
ATS has been trying to reach out to the masses and get numbers through the door for a long while now.... and the introduction of the Ad's was the start of it.

I don't think It's a bad thing really.... ATS needs the money to keep the site running and implement new ideas, so unless they start charging us membership fees... then Ad's are the only way to go.
So I fully understand and appreciate the situation.

On the other hand, I personally don't like the ATS/FB thingy....
I don't like the fact that ATS wants to be mainstream and want numbers rather than quality on the site.

BUT

I do like ATS.... so unless it gets really bad, Then I will continue to frequent this site.

Many people have left in my short time here and for many different reasons, including John Lear, the "selling out" of ATS, drugs threads issues and cliques... to name but a few.

I still think (at the moment anyway) that the core purpose and meaning of this website/movement remains intact, and as long as I have that feeling, I will still enjoy ATS.

[edit on 24/8/10 by blupblup]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

How could quality be worse because of FB or because its more "mainstream" (whatever that means in the whole sceme of things)

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Hey, I don't have a problem with spreading the message, I have a problem with Facebook...and the "don't do it if you don't want" argument still doesn't fix the fact that because of this effort (the front page and the defending of FB in this thread) to get people interested in using ATS to share topics, many people will do exactly that.

[edit on 24/8/10 by CHA0S]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by CHA0S
and the defending of FB in this thread

Where has that happened?

...get people interested in using ATS to share topics, many people will do exactly that.

I'm a bit unclear... you think it's inappropriate for people to share ATS topics?

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
On the other hand, I personally don't like the ATS/FB thingy....
I don't like the fact that ATS wants to be mainstream and want numbers rather than quality on the site.

Uhm ... blupblup ... often times, with increased numbers comes increased quality.

That 1 or 100 who've long-since held their own views on various topics, issues or interests but Never quite had the nerve or appropriate venue to reveal or discuss the same without fear of reprisal. (?)

Can't talk to family, friends or co-workers for fear of being labeled.

Can't risk their job, position or career by coming forward with what they might have or know for the same reasons.

Can't feel comfortable in the "normal" online venues or haunts, etc...

[speeling]

[edit on 24-8-2010 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by CHA0S
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Hey, I don't have a problem with spreading the message, I have a problem with Facebook...and the "don't do it if you don't want" argument still doesn't fix the fact that because of this effort (the front page and the defending of FB in this thread) to get people interested in using ATS to share topics, many people will do exactly that.

[edit on 24/8/10 by CHA0S]

But that is their choice. They were not forced into it. Just like you chose not to. Nobody is forcing you not to.

Are people really concerned with the personal choices of others? Or is this being used as an excuse to bash ATS and this decision?

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

How could quality be worse because of FB or because its more "mainstream" (whatever that means in the whole sceme of things)

Well have you seen most of the other discussion boards on the net?
Have you seen how gangs of trolls roam around and just pick a target and then spam and piss about on said site for god knows how long, causing trouble and so on?

I like ATS and I like the fact that we can have decent, civil and (sometimes) intelligent conversations on here.... It's one of the major reasons for being here as opposed to GLP or AMK or many other sites.

It's not so much that mainstream Itself is bad.... mainstream is kinda like Pop in terms of music, ie; It's popular.... which is not a bad thing per se.... But It's what comes with being popular.

And yes I know ATS has a strict Code of conduct and so on and I know we're not about to be overrun by a load of little twerps.... but still, I'm a little dubious about the whole "let's get as many people here as possible" thing... I understand the motivation (Money) but still.... I just hope it all works out ok, just worried about the site to be honest... and yes, that's quite sad... but I've made and lost some good friends on here, and this just seems like the next phase in the "Let's make ATS as popular as we can" project.... I just hope It doesn't become a victim of Its own success.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I have to say that the most surprising aspect of watching this unfolding is the staff's surprise that some people are moaning without thinking things through.

Isn't this what happens every time you guys dare change a lightbulb?
A drama generated cacophony of "sell out/I hate you" accusations?

Eek, I cringe at what you guys will have to go through when you roll out 2010.

Personally I don't have a FB account for my own reasons and since, as I understand it, there's not going to be any content exclusive to the ATS FB page I don't see a reason for getting one.

To my fellow ATS members who have an issue with this ... can you please take a picture of the ATS staff member standing next to you with a gun to your head telling you to join FB and friend/like the ATS, and post it here. That would be awesome.

sheesh

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by monkeySEEmonkeyDO

Thanks, but no thanks. Joining facebook to educate people doesn't work. I've tried it.

This is precisely the problem, monkeySEEmonkeyDO. At least on ATS, skeptics use mostly proof, scientific findings and reason to disagree with you. On Facebook however, "Dude....your #&$@?%' nuts!" best describes the facebook mentality when you express your views.

You mods run the site however you like, i would just like to say i disagree with the facebook connection.

I believe it will give an even worse name to conspiracy theorists. Thats my opinion anyway.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c

Uhm ... blupblup ... often times, with increased numbers comes increased quality.

Oh for sure and I hope this is one of those times, I truly do.

Can't talk to family, friends or co-workers for fear of being labeled.
Can't risk their job, position or career by coming forward with what they might have or know for the same reasons.

Can't feel comfortable in the "normal" online venues or haunts, etc...

Yep... I agree... people need a venue and ATS provides one.
If I thought this venture was an altruistic one then that'd be fine.

Anyway, I've said what I wanted to.

Cheers

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
To clarify some important points
(4) We are not endorsing Facebook as a channel our members should join and use

(5) We will never ask any member to join Facebook

(6) We strongly suggest that members on Facebook never associate their real names with their ATS names

(7) We're doing this so that more people are aware of what you have to say

All that is contradicting what is being advertised on the front page of website with specific instructions

* FOLLOW US
* LIKE US

Picture for reference

[edit on 24-8-2010 by Prince Of Darkness]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Yes, but it's encouraging us to join an extension of a conspiracy website on Farcebook a site that is well known for it's lax security amongst a myriad of other issues. So now facebook (if I join) will know that this guy "likes" conspiracy etc...

By the way you are promoting it "Do you want more people to become AWARE" my emphasis, you create a concept of good intention, spreading the truth etc. The flipside of that is non-participation in spreading the "Truth"R, which you must admit is going to be a big thing for almost every single member on this site, we all want some form of disclosure, enlightment etc, etc, etc... it really seems like "Come on guys, fight the good fight by promoting us on ATS".

I'd really like to think that this is a decent stab at opening up ATS idea of "Deny Ignorance" to a greater audience, but I doubt it... and that's fair enough, you guys are very clear that ATS needs to generate revenue and you all put in a lot of time to perpetuate it. It's your sight, it's your rules and that's fine - personally I'd like to stay I just no longer trust your motives.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/420a2ff6c7cc.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Here are some questions for you.
This thing that FB is doing with the wristband RFID chips,. is it real
if so, has it not already been said by some leading conspiracy theorist that it is in the intent to have people chipped as a plan of the NWO?

though it may sound ridiculous, this is the direction it would seem things are going.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I'm a bit unclear... you think it's inappropriate for people to share ATS topics?

Ooops, sorry, I meant use FB to share ATS topics. And the defending of FB is seen constantly throughout this thread. Even though it has been known in the past to not be trustworthy, ATS has still chosen to trust FB on the basis of its popularity, and you will support and promote (huge pictures on the front page is promotion) the use of FB. Just because something is the "popular" choice doesn't make it the "best" choice...

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
but still, I'm a little dubious about the whole "let's get as many people here as possible" thing... I understand the motivation (Money) but still.... I just hope it all works out ok

blupblup, that's a bit of an out of left field curve ball you've thrown there.

Why is "the money" always the first consideration or reason assumed for these type ventures into new arenas of awareness and exposure?

Of course any influx of new members will result in additional ad revenues and what not, BUT they also increase operating costs at the same time. (?)

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Some really good comparisons to this might include the later works of the Rolling Stones and various other bands. Someone earlier in the thread made a nice little compelling statement about their favourite pub.

You know, some things can just be overwhelmed by the general public and lose their impetus drive and focus. Look at a fringe sport, that becomes popular then lots of money gets involved etc...

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by jokei

Some really good comparisons to this might include the later works of the Rolling Stones and various other bands. Someone earlier in the thread made a nice little compelling statement about their favourite pub.

You know, some things can just be overwhelmed by the general public and lose their impetus drive and focus. Look at a fringe sport, that becomes popular then lots of money gets involved etc...
that is interesting,. I had the exact same thought process of ATS's reasoning to join with FB,
What other real reason would there be ... Money

[edit on 24-8-2010 by Lil Drummerboy]

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join