It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Is On Facebook

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by jokei
It seems there's more of an attempt to brow-beat the members that disagree as opposed to directly answering their questions

jokei,
Not seeing that aspect, personally, more varied attempts to convey the whys and what fors more than anything else...

No one's been cattle-prodded into submission nor made to feel a lesser member for either not registering @ facebook or voicing dissenting views and/or opinions.

Opinions are More than welcome and have been voiced rather freely throughout this thread. (?)

Rather, it would seem there are some obvious misconceptions with regards the intention, premise and/or purpose here, as opposed to anything else.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jokei

Hey jokei ... an honest question if I may?

Recognizing your right to voice your opinion, may I ask why this vexes you so on a personal level? I say that because a lot of folks have voiced similar concerns to yours, made them public by posting them, and just left it at that.

But there's obviously something in you that wishes to debate this from a personal affront perspective.

The reason I ask is that perhaps if we can identify the source of your displeasure we can perhaps address that instead of the home page issue ... because it is hard to believe something that insignificant could trigger such a polemic disposition.

Or do you get upset and feel entitled to contribute to the design and marketing strategy of every every website you visit?

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c

... do I need I big poster in the front of my sweet shop with the advert also boldly showing the paper it's in?

Actually, That ... the Ad itself or the page from the paper, would seem good Marketing 101.

Funny you would mention such because here in Gettysburg there's a home-made candies and chocolates shoppe that does Just That ... on a sandwich board right outside the store.

reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Why aren't you using my entire quotes? It would be a truer argument if you did and it's only a few sentences.

I doubt anyone would believe that the relationship between your local shop and the place they advertise in wasn't then a mutually beneficial relationship. This seems a fitting comparison of this whole ATS/Farcebook debacle.

Mutually beneficial relationship is a major point that you haven't addressed, also - thanks for taking the time to respond to my points - I'd like to ask again, specifically in relation to the parts I've quoted - why were you not using the entire quotes that I said, especially when they're only a few sentences? I feel that what I said loses some of the merit of strength of the analogy we're using and I think that's unfair of you, especially as it's such an easy thing to do.

I'd like to note that I'm off to the pub now, so - if you/anyone responds and expects a reply
it won't be forthcoming until tomorrow.

Thanks guys it's been an interesting evening.

P.S. Hey we're discussing stuff.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by jokei

merely addressing the points of interest/contention ... no need to quote the entirety.

[bbcode - link]

[edit on 24-8-2010 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

A really quick reply, not really taking this personally until people start chopping the quotes around and choosing to pick and choose the points to address... if you read my previous post that pretty much sums up any (small) vexation.

I just feel it ungentlemanly.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Stuff like this is long overdue. ATS is been stagnate for a while. Now ATS really needs to work on it's own Iphone App.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
iv got to admit the more i think about this the more i wounder what the parallels between ATS and fb are

all of us here are profiled catorgirized and are traceable
by jioning with face book more members are radicalized with the truth and herded into the social networking site ATS
thats what this is a social networking site just has a conspiracy theame

we are socially jioning ranks with a purely social site
big brother has us all catorgorized recorded (sound and cam)
and our opinions on verious subjects noted referenced judged for trouble or complience

we at ATS are eleitests some of the top minds on the web are here and we are worried out the less open minded from changing the dinamic of our save haven

thing is ATS is facebook for conspiracy minded people

lets join with fb and using facts numbers debate and our wits to turn this self enslaving social media into a new form of web based education tool

how many people have we reached outside our community debating topics of national and international interest that can change the world if that information was spread far and wide

lets spread the ideas we have with the world nobody can stop an idea forming and spreading through face book at the speed of light

lets use their medium against them!!!!!!!!!

XPLodER

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Nothing productive can come from keeping our topics closed-off behind a comfortable wall of like-minded people... which is what a great deal of conspiracy-minded people seem to prefer.

If you expect "disclosure" to happen in the UFO arena, there must be awareness and pressure.

If you expect "conspiracies" to become accepted facts, there must be awareness and confirmed proof.

If you desire paranormal experiences to gain broader acceptance, there must be awareness and data.

If you desire to upend the political system and remove the corruption, there must be awareness and anger.

Bill, I do agree with your points here. We do need exposure
to ATS content. But my question is this.

How many people do you want on ATS?

Cuz on the following thread of yours you are claiming
that you are getting 1 MILLION visitors in 1 week of
April 24, 2010.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Just how much is ENOUGH traffic?

How big do you want ATS to grow?

According to what I have read before
ATS is in the top 100 sites visited world wide.
Just seems kinda odd that the reason for adding
facebook is to raise awareness and raise our ranks
when the stats show we're already in the top 100
sites in the world already as far as traffic.

Does ATS want to replace Google??
or maybe ALL internet traffic should run
through ATS??

Where is the stopping point ??? World Virtual Domination??

It just seems to me that the reasons stated for
this business venture do not jive according
to the stats presented.

And if 10,000 joined ATS tomorrow from facebook
traffic. And they all posted just 1 thread. 9, 960
wouldn't even show up on the front page of current
topics. There is a problem with this don't you think?
ATS is NOT Wall Street. ATS is NOT too big to fail.
When you get this big and posters do not get replies
to their threads. They will leave and never return.
Yet in the meantime, you have already ran off some
of the great members already. So you lost BOTH
new members AND long time members.

Then hindsight creeps in and you start to think,
maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all.

just sayin

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
The Facebook page has just achieved 2,000 likes -- uh, likers? -- maybe, those who like? -- or, liked? -- okay, fans! -- all that in just 24 hours. For those who opted to "like" the page, thank you.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

That's a rather open question... but I'd be pleased if we achieved a status of 5 million unique US users a month.

According to what I have read before
ATS is in the top 100 sites visited world wide.

I don't know where you saw that, but the number is incorrect. According to the Quantcast ranking service, our best-ever rank is somewhere around the 1,600th most visited site.

[quote[And if 10,000 joined ATS tomorrow from facebook
traffic. And they all posted just 1 thread....
As previously stated, I have no expectations that Facebook users will join ATS and participate.

9, 960 wouldn't even show up on the front page of current
topics.

I'm not sure I follow the point you're trying to make about the front page... it was never intended to display every new topic.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

progress is like the dinosaurs it happened they wernt ready there are no more dinosaurs

embrace the progress or dye a dinosaur

just saying

xp

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I have FB.

I have ATS.

I log into each separately.

The twain shall never meet.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I do not see the big deal either.

I use my picture as an avvie here, my name has been published in local media already, and the only way anyone can see if I "like" ATS FB is if I post on the wall or they see me on the "those who liked" box.

Then you only see my picture, my name, and if you click my picture, you go to my FB profile, which is private.

So even by "liking" the page no one can see any more about you than you let them.

I already post my city and state in my location here.

I am really vocal on FB and want my voice to be heard, here and on facebook.

I doubt the FB is CIA, and if it is, let them hear my voice.

I like the idea of a bunch of conspiracy sites using FB to spread the word and open minds.

I can data mine ATS already with just your user name, and in many cases come up with LOTS of information.

For loudmouth blowhards like me, that is great!!! I want people to hear what I have to say.

I already fan other conspiracy sites, and I do not care if spreading my links and stories whether from ATS or Alex Jones or Acharya S, annoys my friend list, they can dump me if I bug them.

Facebook IS popular, and I hope to see more and more people taking FULL ADVANTAGE of the FREE INFORMATION NETWORK FB has set up for us.

It is kind of a fail if we DONT use each and every resource we can to spread our beliefs!!

Everyone else does, why not CTists too?

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I do not see the big deal either.

I use my picture as an avvie here, my name has been published in local media already, and the only way anyone can see if I "like" ATS FB is if I post on the wall or they see me on the "those who liked" box.

Then you only see my picture, my name, and if you click my picture, you go to my FB profile, which is private.

So even by "liking" the page no one can see any more about you than you let them.

I already post my city and state in my location here.

I am really vocal on FB and want my voice to be heard, here and on facebook.

I doubt the FB is CIA, and if it is, let them hear my voice.

I like the idea of a bunch of conspiracy sites using FB to spread the word and open minds.

I can data mine ATS already with just your user name, and in many cases come up with LOTS of information.

For loudmouth blowhards like me, that is great!!! I want people to hear what I have to say.

I already fan other conspiracy sites, and I do not care if spreading my links and stories whether from ATS or Alex Jones or Acharya S, annoys my friend list, they can dump me if I bug them.

Facebook IS popular, and I hope to see more and more people taking FULL ADVANTAGE of the FREE INFORMATION NETWORK FB has set up for us.

It is kind of a fail if we DONT use each and every resource we can to spread our beliefs!!

Everyone else does, why not CTists too?

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Members are saying "why would you expand your reach to an entity that most
on here do not trust".

Understandable and simple as well.

No, not understandable.

I disagree, It's quite understandable and it is quite simple.

The page is designed as an outreach effort to encourage Facebook users to learn about us and especially what our members have to say.

The use of "Facebook users" in your statement suggests that they are not on
ATS already. Correct?! Which is why you say "learn about US" and "what
OUR members have to say". So if this page is as you say, "designed as an
outreach effort to encourage Facebook users"...

Then why the flashy and might I add obnoxious homepage on a site where
there are active member participating already? To lure ATS users over
there?! Of course you are not forcing us, cause you can't. But why say this is
to outreach a potential new audience, when clearly you would like us over
there as well.

Remember this quote:

But if you do have a Facebook account, check out our new page, and let
your friends know about it too.

No offense, but you seem to be mostly expecting existing users to do some
free marketing and promotion for you, at their own will of course. That is
lame and in poor taste. This could have simply been a U2U message.

Are you afraid of starting at zero on FB and building up?, or are you hoping
and relying on existing members to help spread the word? If the later one is
your answer, than I am correct about you using members for for free marketing.

My decision was made years ago. I wont be on Facebook, Doesn't mean I
cant come here and discuss this. So those who say get over it. I was never
behind it in the first place, so there is nothing to get over.

Just voicing my opinion and pointing out the irony with many others about
this matter.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Lots of pros and cons.

there doesnt seem to be any intentional trickery, and todays social mediums on the internet are well known to be a data haven.

the choice is yours.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
the size of this trace book thing is scary big

the stock prices are soaring for fb on the roumour of an ipo

link
www.ft.com...

you can only ignore this medium at your own risk

but i repeat my question

does ats have a legal obligation to its members to warn of perceived privacy problems and how to be safe on this site as intentional or not your promoting facebook interaction

xploder

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

That's a rather open question... but I'd be pleased if we achieved a status of 5 million unique US users a month.

Excuse me for asking SO - but why do they need to be unique US users?

That's sounds rather suspicious to me in these days of data-mining from proxies funded by Intelligence services and alphapet agencies.

Just sayin'

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
It says (on the ATS page) "Subscribe for an e-mail newsletter."

What? I have been a member for only five months, but still -- what newsletter?

That was the first I had ever heard anything at all about a newsletter.

Is this something new or have I just somehow missed getting on the list?

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by felonius
I have FB.

I have ATS.

I log into each separately.

The twain shall never meet.

there is a way of tracing a user from the previous web site address url to the face book log in page and if the url trace returns with the user account profile then you can link the ats persona to the face book persona

face book is linking 300+ times a day to ATS

does this not mean that it is traceable from site to site?

facebook has alot of risks when you consider the auto log on to ats and the auto logon to facebook and then the link between the two

if the ats servers can trace who is linking to their site then they know the url that has linked to ats this provides some interesting questions

when you go from one site to another there are information that is cross corilated between sites

ie where did the user come from site url= user details
does that person have an account at facebook=personal details

does this breach the privacy policy of ATS

is there a security risk of conection to a conspiracy site from a site that wants users so they can mine them for profit

is ats exposing users to abuse without warning them of the security problems acociated with inter site links to suspected privacy violating third partys

if i link to a site with offencive material i can be banned for the protection of the members

what is the protection of members who are in a trust relationship with ATS when they click the link to facebook?

am i the only person that knows how this works?

does anyone care they may be exploited simply by clicking a link?

will any mod please have a private discustion on these concernes?

xploder

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join