ATS Is On Facebook

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Well, we went and did it and finally enabled our Page on Facebook:

www.facebook.com/atsnews

Since about April, we've been going back and forth regarding this, and have recently come to the conclusion that, for better or worse, Facebook is an online juggernaut which can no longer be ignored.

Now, we all are aware of the multi-faceted issues related to Facebook and the litany of concerns related to some of their technology efforts and especially the founder. So let me be clear, if you're not currently on Facebook, please do not join just because we made a page. This effort is by no means an endorsement intended to inspire current or future members to sign up and participate there.

However, there's a stupid large number of people there, many of whom may have not heard about ATS. The page is designed as an outreach effort to encourage Facebook users to learn about us and especially what our members have to say. And since officially promoting the page on the ATS home just 20 minutes ago, we jumped from 105 people liking the page, to 212. So, it may very work nicely as an outreach.

Again, if you're leery about Facebook, please don't join on our account. But if you do have a Facebook account, check out our new page, and let your friends know about it too.

Thanks.

edit on by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Hopefully we can bring more attention to this great site. I liked!

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Cool, I'm there.
.. just as soon as I update my virus scan software.

Just kidding, I already have a facebook account.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
My sister, and all my cousins, and everyone else wants to know why I am not on there....

I'll just tell em, ya i'll join as soon as you friend ATS!!!!

(it'll be our secret)

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
No way! I will not be joining you there.
What's the point?! My account here is not good enough for you?!
Everyone run!!!!!!!!!! ATS is on Facebook!!!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I've been on facebook for years because it helps me keep in touch with my extended family and friends I've known for years upon years. I think this is a good thing because it will open up ATS to a whole new audience.

As for the privacy concerns...the only concern I really have is that facebook is notorious for privacy "questions"...but I don't think that its going to be a big issue concerning ATS because of the savvy insights and street smarts of the membership here. I especially like the fact that the cross membership of ATS and facebook will allow for more people to know when people are "expelled" from facebook because of their "controversial" viewpoints. Yeah, it happens.

I think this is a step in the right direction...and its going to be an interesting ride. As if it weren't already *sarcasm*

I for one will be posting breaking news from this site as usual. And to the facebook haters, just give it a chance before you start the trash-trolling. Lets see where this goes.

Blessed be.

--J

Edited to add: p.s. I would have articulated this post better, but I am rushing in order to get back to work. I like facebook....but I LOVE AboveTopSecret.

[edit on 8/23/2010 by JamesTheScribe]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I have a Facebook acct but seldom go there - I cannot imagine some of the people there coming to ATS - get out your little farm scenes, lol.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Ugh never mind, I reread the op and the answer was there.

[edit on 23 Aug 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I think for the ATS team its the right way to go but I am not a fan of the decision. Sorry.

Most people who find ATS are truly interested in conspiracy topics. I would like to think they have come here to discuss their thoughts and opinions.

I feel putting it on FB might increase the traffic but I hope it doesnt dilute the content. Do we really need people joining just because their friends are on FB?

I fear this going to increase the workload for the MODS as this could become a bumpy ride!!!

I hope I am proved wrong.

Kind Regards

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Irish Matador
Do we really need people joining just because their friends are on FB?

I suspect most FB users will simply share our threads (we're feeding our wall with top threads) and discuss right on Facebook, rather than join ATS.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I just checked out the ATS place at FB - Beautiful design, nice and clean - really cool!

But I will never sign up for an account though!

Great work anyway!

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Understand your reasoning and all ("There's a stupid large number of people there..." Mmm hmmm.) Remember your "Anger" thread and your "Stressful" thread? Well you might expect more of those and maybe even a "Quality" thread. I actually liked this place because it wasn't mainstream. That you can get in a lot of other places. If ATS goes anymore mainstream, the time will be ripe for some real competition. But that's how it goes. It's a balancing act. The debate should have gone on a while longer. As for the concerns about privacy? Non-issue. You all are smart enough to figure out how to keep the twain from meeting. Anyhow, that's about all I have to say about that.

[edit on 8/24/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I like it, nice job SO!

I "liked" it too, hopefully some of my friends who are not readily available for me to spread the "ATS word" to will check it out. I think it would be foolish for ATS to ignore such a massive potential customer/member base.

By the way it looks sweet!

Is there any rule about posting our ATS member names SO? Just wondering if it was OK or not? EDIT I only ask ask as a lot of our personal info can be found on FB, and I thought it wasn't permitted...or was it just frowned upon to post such things on ATS etc..

[edit on 23-8-2010 by kiwifoot]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Spreading the ATS love to my FB friends. I like it, I "like" it.
It's not like they didn't already think I was a little, err...different...

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Well, I just invited a few of my friends to take a look at the FB page ... good idea.

Woody

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I don't mind ATS being on FB. I have an account and I am always posting ATS links however my username is not known to my friends so they wouldn't know which member I was and I kind of like it that way. I talk about things on ATS I don't talk about my friends or family with cause they think I am nuts. I have a few friends who are on the same page but not all. I like being anonymous on here.

My question is if I add ATS as a "friend"
will it link my ATS account as well? If so then I wont be friending you

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I don't see Ancient Civilizations as a popular forum
on the FB site.

The one thing I don't want to see happen is people join ATS to be trolls because of what they saw on FB. That is how FB works...its kids play most the time and I hope that doesn't hurt the posting on here later on.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

i am concerned about trace book and the fact that alot of people have no idea about privacy laws and concerns and that this type of tech can and will be exploited by groups to push agendas and exploit trust to make money as is the case in a market place of ideas and tech i would like to point out that i agree getting on the bandwagon is a smart move for exposure and revenue but i ask

is any personal information exchanged between face book and the members of ast and could facebook profiles be used to glean personal information on our members ?

when connecting from ATS to face book you go from one profile linked account to another and i have concerns that this could lead to profiling of members for attack purposes on facebook ATS ect

do you have a comercial agreement with facebook or just a member account?

xploder

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I am curious about what ATS will gain other than more site views.

You already have my IP address every time I post, now you want to know who I am via my facebook page. I promote ATS as much as I can to people I trust, but I don't like the idea of this site gaining popularity because it's the popular choice.

You're just making it easier for "THEM" to find me.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say this isn't a good idea.

For many reasons, but mostly i consider ATS to be a place where we can discuss world issues with general anonymity - but combine this with facebook and you're basically revealing to the powers that be, exactly what you think... and you can categorised and profiled...

Not good.

exclusive video

new topics
top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join