It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Is On Facebook

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
That's a rather open question... but I'd be pleased if we achieved a status of 5 million unique US users a month.

How would that actually work, though, vis a vis the forum traffic ?

It is difficult enough to keep up nowadays on a highly explosive, or controversial, thread, due to the large number of posters contributing to it.

If only 5 per cent of these 5 million users posted on ATS, then that would be 250,000 people posting on this board.

It'd be unworkable.

The threads, and the threads' content, would be trashed and diluted by the sheer number of people posting on them.

Excuse the conspiracy theorist in me, but I foresee a flood of traffic to the board, and an ''exclusive'' set of forums, that can be accessed by either ''privileged'' members, or those members that are willing to cough up a subscription...

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER
there is a way of tracing a user from the previous web site address url to the face book log in page and if the url trace returns with the user account profile then you can link the ats persona to the face book persona

when you go from one site to another there are information that is cross corilated between sites

ie where did the user come from site url= user details
does that person have an account at facebook=personal details

is there a security risk of conection to a conspiracy site from a site that wants users so they can mine them for profit
xploder

xploder

this is exactly the point I was making
on page 5 or 6 of this thread.

It's called cross-site scripting

and it is a security concern

[edit on 24-8-2010 by boondock-saint]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes
If only 5 per cent of these 5 million users posted on ATS, then that would be 250,000 people posting on this board.

It'd be unworkable.

lol
that's another point I brought up
about them posting threads
on page 10.

Thank you for agreeing with me

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   

It'd be unworkable.

due to this influx of newbies of 250,000

I foresee ATS becoming a pay site for posting
privileges. A forum with 250,000+ members
posting would be worse than the wikileaks
data dump of 96,000 documents which it
has taken the gov a month to go over.

Now think about that volume on a daily basis.

wow ......

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Site management is probably brainstorming how to answer the unanswerable questions

Good luck guys

[edit on 24-8-2010 by Lil Drummerboy]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I love ATS and I followed the link to check out the Facebook page. I am not on Facebook and don't plan to EVER be on it. Does this mean that over time I will miss out on some aspects or features of ATS itself? I hope not.

I'll just be happy if ATS 2010 actually rolls out before 2011...

That'd be enough for me

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
that's another point I brought up
about them posting threads
on page 10.

Sorry, mate.

I skimmed through some of the more recent pages ( too much traffic on this thread
), and I didn't intend to re-post a point that you'd already made.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
www.nzherald.co.nz...

The second round of funding into Facebook ($US12.7 million) came from venture capital firm Accel Partners. Its manager James Breyer was formerly chairman of the National Venture Capital Association, and served on the board with Gilman Louie, CEO of In-Q-Tel, a venture capital firm established by the Central Intelligence Agency in 1999. One of the company's key areas of expertise are in "data mining technologies".

Dr Anita Jones joined the firm, which included Gilman Louie. She had also served on the In-Q-Tel's board, and had been director of Defence Research and Engineering for the US Department of Defence.

She was also an adviser to the Secretary of Defence and overseeing the Defence Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), which is responsible for high-tech, high-end development.

It was when a journalist lifted the lid on the DARPA's
Information Awareness Office that the public began to show concern at its information mining projects.

en.wikipedia.org...

This would be achieved by creating enormous computer databases to gather and store the personal information of everyone in the United States, including personal e-mails, social network analysis, credit card records, phone calls, medical records, and numerous other sources, without any requirement for a search warrant.[1] This information would then be analyzed to look for suspicious activities, connections between individuals, and "threats".[2] Additionally, the program included funding for biometric surveillance technologies that could identify and track individuals using surveillance cameras, and other methods.[2]

Not surprisingly, the backlash from civil libertarians led to a Congressional investigation into DARPA's activity, the Information Awareness Office lost its funding.

Now the internet conspiracy theorists are citing Facebook as the IAO's new mask.

Parts of the IAO's technology round-up included 'human network analysis and behaviour model building engines', which Facebook's massive volume of neatly-targeted data gathering allows for.

www.facebook.com...

"Facebook may also collect information about you from other sources, such as newspapers, blogs, instant messaging services, and other users of the Facebook service through the operation of the service (eg. photo tags) in order to provide you with more useful information and a more personalised experience. By using Facebook, you are consenting to have your personal data transferred to and processed in the United States."

www.readwriteweb.com...

Replace the word 'gay' with 'conspiracy theorist' or 'patriot' or 'ufologist'

An MIT experiment dubbed, "Gaydar" by creators Carter Jernigan and Behram Mistree has employed computational analysis to identify user traits based on information listed by their Facebook friends. Through friend profiles, the program predicts the likelihood of your religious affiliations, political leanings and even your sexual orientation. Essentially the idea is that friends are likely to share traits. So if you're in the closet, but you've got loads of vocal friends, a program of this nature could potentially out you.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Sorry, mate.

I skimmed through some of the more recent pages ( too much traffic on this thread
), and I didn't intend to re-post a point that you'd already made.

lol
no apology necessary
I was happy that you did

it's kewl

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

hi boondock-saint
i have seen your posts and cannot fault them i think you are correct there is a security concern involved im not clear what the answer is other than a pop up warning on the ats side

i supose a proxie would work but then advertising is not shown as this is third party

i hope were not upsetting the apple cart im just concerned

xploder

ps are you a programmer?

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I've very excited that ATS is now on CIAbook... I mean Facebook. Now is the perfect opportunity to divulge every personal detail of my life to the public domain so the CIA can build an elaborate profile.

Wait, come to think of it, with over 1,000 posts on ATS I think its time to change usernames. Thanks for posting this message to remind me of that!

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER
ps are you a programmer?

well that's what my college degree says I am

However, I hardly write source anymore since
flash came on the scene. But I use to code
in 8 computer languages, old school of course

Lots of programmers these days have it too easy
with drag and drop web interfaces. I'm use to
hard coding

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Just commented on ATS wall on FB...anyone feel free to add me there if you want as a friend.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeoVirgo
Just commented on ATS wall on FB...anyone feel free to add me there if you want as a friend.

no thanks

I have that option right here on ATS

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Yeah! I recently wrote a thread about all of this and Facebook - but I didn't spell out the 'Information Awareness Office' directly because I wanted to see if anyone could come to that conclusion themselves and connect the dots? no one has so far!

You have to be pretty naive to believe that IAO just closed shop and disappear, no! they just changed the name of the project and moved on with their business.

Their brilliant algorithm, their super advanced software tools and personnel was spread out to several other agencies and projects as the 'Total Information Awareness' (TIA) Program.

Their super computers and enormous databases are without a doubt up and running as we speak! - mining/compiling data!

Thanks for being intelligent mr-lizard!

Unfortunately, now I must go into hiding again - I've said too much already!

[edit on 24-8-2010 by Chevalerous]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
www.insidefacebook.com...

It also launched what it calls the Graph API. This allows developers to access a wide range of user data. General Information and other data that users have disclosed is readily available, and developers can request more through special permissions.

Developers can also get additional access to users through the Open Graph Protocol. They can publish updates to any user who has Liked an item. And they can create their own version of the Like button that doubles as a way to have users become fans of their Page.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Chevalerous

No problem. I'm intrigued now. Have spent the last few hours eating toast, drinking tea and digging up juicy stuff.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Some people do like to connect in the real world outside of the 'hiding' under usernames....

Why even reply...to my comment? It was a offering to people that I am friends with here...a way to reach out to each other under real life too.

Im not one of those that hide under my ATS name and I enjoy meeting the 'real' people that I talk with here.

I wasnt suggesting people add me...I was offering people, letting them know I dont hide behind ATS nor do I have any issues with my 'real' life friends knowing I talk here.

Have a great evening!
LV

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeoVirgo

Hello, Lyn.

I'm not on facebook, but I check the ATS page on there.

Can I just ask, is that church you link to in your profile, completely wooden ?

I'm interested in architecture, and I have to admit that I have a soft spot for wooden churches, such as the kind you get in Scandinavia.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
One again, I am glad ATS is on fb and I don't see the problem as long as you don't advertise any personal info you don't want out there.

In my opinion, the government does not need facebook to spy on you, they have social security numbers, income tax, census and a multitude of other ways for doing that.

Besides, if you have that much to hide from the government you shouldn't be on the internet at all!!!! hahahaha

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join