It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Is On Facebook

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I have a FB acc for family that live far away and stuff.

FB is a good way to spread the words Deny Ignorance...

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by cluckerspud
What's interesting is that we keep missing each others points here.

I think it's more along the lines of a few members refused to accept an important point that's being made: if you don't like FB, ignore it because nothing on ATS has changed.

Members are saying "why would you expand your reach to an entity that most
on here do not trust".

Understandable and simple as well.

No, not understandable.

I'm sorry for coming across harsh here, but this attitude of parochial stealthiness from "conspiracy theorists" is one of the things that really tends to piss me off. Nothing productive can come from keeping our topics closed-off behind a comfortable wall of like-minded people... which is what a great deal of conspiracy-minded people seem to prefer.

I have three words for these people: Get Over It.

If you expect "disclosure" to happen in the UFO arena, there must be awareness and pressure.

If you expect "conspiracies" to become accepted facts, there must be awareness and confirmed proof.

If you desire paranormal experiences to gain broader acceptance, there must be awareness and data.

If you desire to upend the political system and remove the corruption, there must be awareness and anger.

I could go down the list of all the niche topics discussed here on ATS, but you get the point (I hope). While I certainly hold no delusions that discussions on ATS may be a catalyst for bringing about the things listed above, I have hope we may collectively be a contributing factor. And you should have that hope as well.

Ever since we started treating ATS seriously as a business, our #1 goal has consistently been, promote what our members are saying, so that more and more people become aware of their points of view.

If these topics are important to you... and if you hold out hope that there can be change... and if you believe change is for the "greater good"... then you must seek out opportunities for more people to become aware.

Our page on Facebook, with a regular feed of new topics, our videos, and ATS Live is (as mentioned) an outreach to help more people become aware. You can't, on one hand, discuss these topics with fervor and claim great important, while on the other hand resist efforts to inform those who are unaware.

There has been suggestions that we'll lose members because of this. While unfortunate, that's fine. Anyone who rejects the opportunity to help generate broader awareness of these topics that concern our members really never was an "ATS Member" to begin with... they were conspiracy introverts.

To clarify some important points

(1) No Facebook code is running anywhere on ATS

(2) No Facebook code or hosted images will ever run on the ATS discussion board

(3) No sharing of user data is happening, and it will never happen

(4) We are not endorsing Facebook as a channel our members should join and use

(5) We will never ask any member to join Facebook

(6) We strongly suggest that members on Facebook never associate their real names with their ATS names

(7) We're doing this so that more people are aware of what you have to say

(Temporarily closing the thread to replies so that these points sink-in.)

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I have to admit I wanted to jump straight on and yell "sell out" or I was at least a little suspicious of ATS being on Facebook. Especially with all the things we hear about facebook on here.

However, I read all 7 pages and have to come to the conclusion that it changes nothing really, apart from spreading our message a little further.
That cant be bad.

I will not be joinig, but I will not be protesting either.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by Sky watcher
The way you did it opens up every ATS member to one the direct CIA database

Can you explain how you believe that to be the case?

No Facebook code is on any ATS page.

It doesn't need to be and I'm sure you know that already. Facebook data mines a users PC and will intern see that you visit ATS and then the games begin.

I had Facebook recommend friends to me that were customers of mine, people who i never searched for in Facebook and they had not either. My PC is normally locked up tight, security wise and I do not run any apps on Facebook as I rarely use it.

I figure it will take a few days and then you will be bombarded with complaints so much that you will be forced to remove the Facebook page.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Thanks, but no thanks. Joining facebook to educate people doesn't work. I've tried it.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sky watcher
Facebook data mines a users PC and will intern see that you visit ATS and then the games begin.

Can you explain how that would work?

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
This reminds me of so many times in my life. People rarely stand up when it comes down to it, They scatter like cockroaches when the light comes on and everything can be seen. I like the idea of ATS branching out but then again I haven't surrounded myself with people I can't be myself with professionally or otherwise. If you want to scurry away from ATS because it has a facebook page now that's your choice but I'm pretty sure it's a decision you will regret.

I'm not hiding from anything.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
My facebook account is mostly to keep in contact with long-distance friends easily.

I joined about 6 hours ago today and am already really annoyed by the amount of status updates being churned out - that's what Twitter is for and how it works THERE.

Is ATS turning into a 16 year old girl, will we get status updates that start "OMG Obama impeached LOLSSS!!!1!!!?

It's pretty annoying, if it's like this tomorrow I'll be quitting it.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I am going to give you all a free advice:

If you are a user in ATS and in Facebook, then use an separate e-mail account, for each one of those sites, with no connection whatsoever between those two email accounts.

Future will tell how friendly this advice was, for those who want to follow it!

In alternative, don't even use Facebook or any other social network.

Social networks in the future will become weapons of mass destruction of our private life.

[edit on 24-8-2010 by crustas]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by jokei
It's pretty annoying, if it's like this tomorrow I'll be quitting it.

We've revised the parameters for automatic updates, and increased the thresholds to a higher number of flags and replies. There should be about 50% fewer updates... and as we monitor, there may even end up being fewer that that.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Does anybody actually have their farcebunk registered with their real details?

There should be about 50% fewer updates... and as we monitor, there may even end up being fewer that that.

Judging by today that would still be one every hour or so, which I think is a bit much still.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
ATS going mainstream on the CIA backed Facebook is a "jump the shark" moment for me. I have always enjoyed the fact that ATS was not mainstream.

While this move will no doubt bring in additional revenue for the site owners it may also drive away certain valuable members and bring in more mainstream individuals.

It's kind of like your favorite drinking establishment that you love because it's out of the way and not a lot of people know about it suddenly moving the the nearest shopping mall. It kind of takes away what's special about it.

Good business move. I don't frequent Facebook so I hope it works out.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I don't get it. People saying it could be a bad thing that this is going "mainstream"

First off...I don't know what kool aid you are drinking, but ATS is rather "mainstream" Google "conspiracy theory website" or simply conspiracy theory.

ATS is the first and 7th hit respectfully.

This argument reminds me of a web comic I saw recently called "Surviving The World"

It is a frame about "musicphiles" I think it fits very well in this discussion. Enjoy the link.

For those who can't/don't want to follow the link, it's saying how musicphiles love to have an obscure band that no one has heard of because it makes them "cool and hip". It goes on to mention that this defeats the purpose of music, which is to share. "but hey whatever makes you hip and cool right?"

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
After adjusting a few of my privacy settings, I "liked" the ATS page.

Here is my theory on the matter. This simply allows users to "like" or "share" certain threads being discussed on ATS. This is only advertising for ATS if people feel the need to share whatever they wish with their facebook friends.

With that being said, most people on facebook know the people on their friends list and have an idea of what they would be interested in. I personally wouldn't share stories from ATS, because I know that I have a wide variety of friends on facebook that I have picked up throughout my adventures in life. That's the same logic I apply when posting anything controversial to my facebook page. However, when I do feel strongly about an issue; I might choose to post my position knowing that if anybody dislikes it that much, they can always unfriend me.

In short, I don't think ATS users on facebook will attract an undesirable crowd.

[edit on 24-8-2010 by Styki]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Sky watcher

You realize you're not making sense right?

If you already have a Facebook account and, what you say is true (the CIA is data mining FB for all those super secret, oh so dangerous and important normal people like you and I they want to wipe out
) they already know everything you fear them knowing.

ATS creating a page changes NONE OF THAT even if it were true.

We aren't asking anyone to join Facebook, we will NEVER share any user info with FB, it would violate our strict privacy policy, and there will never be any FB code running on ATS, EVER.

The facts decry your statement as utterly false.

Springer...

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Actually... the message is ambiguous.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/420a2ff6c7cc.jpg[/atsimg]

Vs

Now, we all are aware of the multi-faceted issues related to Facebook and the litany of concerns related to some of their technology efforts and especially the founder. So let me be clear, if you're not currently on Facebook, please do not join just because we made a page. This effort is by no means an endorsement intended to inspire current or future members to sign up and participate there.

However, there's a stupid large number of people there, many of whom may have not heard about ATS. The page is designed as an outreach effort to encourage Facebook users to learn about us and especially what our members have to say. And since officially promoting the page on the ATS home just 20 minutes ago, we jumped from 105 people liking the page, to 212. So, it may very work nicely as an outreach.

Again, if you're leery about Facebook, please don't join on our account. But if you do have a Facebook account, check out our new page, and let your friends know about it too.

It would also seem that you do wish us to join because you've been hyping it all day (which is fair enough)... there can't be a member that's logged in today that doesn't know about this.

Anyhoo, just saying.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I'm on Facebook too, but that's because I need a new job, and hope that one of those alphabet agencies will hire me to count sheep or something...

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I obviously don't agree with this...the front page of ATS right now is a disgrace...it's like I've shifted into an alternative universe, everything I thought this website was when I joined is now being challenged.

EDIT: To embed image of front page:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c1237cbb9c05.jpg[/atsimg]

"There is no commercial agreement with Facebook"

[edit on 24/8/10 by CHA0S]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I refuse to ever create a Facebook account.

This leads to the majority of my friends and family to think that I am anti-social.

Truth of the matter is, I don't trust Facebook enough, and really don't want my laundry out the in wind.

Good luck on your endeavors with it though.

[edit on 24-8-2010 by susp3kt]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I don't think its a big deal. If it pulls some people that are interested (and you would be surprised how many are) then they have a place to start getting information.

I made one change to my FB page. I was using the same avatar so I changed FB so no one links me via that image to my information.

People that know me will recognize it if they come here and that's OK too. Others won't tie it together.

I try to tell a lot of people to just go check it out. Out of probably 15 to 20 people that I've told about ATS only one or two ever check it out.

I think you may get a lot of hits initially to check it out and then on everyone will go with their lives and never return again.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join