It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Is On Facebook

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

If you "like" a fan page just as ATSNews It's much different then friending somebody online. Inorder for a user to see your whole profile you'd have to "friend" an admin of the fan page. And even with that you can specify the amount of information "friends" of receive.

There is no commercial agreement, we're Just trying to create dialogue on facebook.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
There's no way I would ever Join an ATS group on facebook.
Not unless I wanted to be laughed at by everyone on my facebook, I mean have you even read the threads about here SO? Maybe 1 in 100 of them are legit.

I see why the decision was done but I think, in a way it is bad taste, since Facebook is one of the things we're trying to stop or dilute, and its policies and ties with the C.I.A we're trying to make public, so really this seems like a crazy idea.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
I see why the decision was done but I think, in a way it is bad taste, since Facebook is one of the things we're trying to stop or dilute, and its policies and ties with the C.I.A we're trying to make public, so really this seems like a crazy idea.

Absolutely agree. This seems like a desperate move by ATS and really worries me.

Are we now part of Murdochs empire?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
My thread got closed so I will bring my opinion over hear to share and hopefully the comments for this issue will continue.

I am not sure if I welcome FB to ATS. Surely it will make ATS grow by leaps and bounds but it seems it may dilute the tenacious truth seeking and denying ignorance.
Personally I like to keep my ATS self separated from my FB self. That's right, split personality here, at least when it comes to discussing topics here at ATS.
But I guess it is stingy to keep the wonder of ATS to our collective selves..
just sayin'....
I know I don't really like it as an ATS background on the home page, my two worlds are colliding! Noooo!!

What do you guys think?

spec

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Well I for one think the page looks fantastic, I don't think I have seen a page look like that with all the graphics and what not.

Sure, Facebook is probably not the best in the world for privacy, but as Skeptic says, it is reaching out to hundreds / thousands /millions farcebook (yes the r is meant to be there, lol) users who may take a liking and come join the discussions, although that could lead to more idiots and trolls, so there is a downside, but that's what the ignore button is for.

Don't worry about your privacy or security, after all, anyone can stumble across this site and read your posts without actually joining up, so I don't think there is any risk involved.

Facebook has become one of the biggest social networking sites in the world, ATS is just staying with the times, mind you, all I do on it is play Zynga's Pirates and chat to a few friends.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ATSmediaPRO

i agree with more expose for our threads but not for our members
i simply dont trust any internet tech and this makes me feel much less safe posting on ats
i dont have a tracebook page for security reasons and cause i am paraniod about there ability to get users to document there own lives for others benifit

if i use the facebook link fb thinks i am another user that uses this computer some times and gives me there friends as mine
how did fb know im them without a log in and pass?
is it storing information about ats user vs facebook user info?

xploder

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Awesome, I love facebook and I don't care if the government or whomever can track me. I have nothing to hide, besides, if they want to get me or track me I'm sure they wouldn't need fb to do it, haha.

Friend me!!!

www.facebook.com...

Thanks, ATS!

[edit on 23-8-2010 by earth2]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
If one is so concerned, than dont do it. Simple as that.

Or do what I did, have a FB account just for ATS. So for me I am Greeneyedleo ATS on FB. I use an email addy I created just for ATS. Im really not a FB user and I dont even have my real name or location attached to my ATS FB account. Its just my GEL identity which is not used anywhere other than ATS or ATS FB.

[edit on August 23rd 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by earth2

i understand the govenments can track you if they wish what worrys me is cyberbullying on face book and ats

when transitioning directly from an ats user account to a face book account you have a cross reference of ats user vs face book user account information and there is no privacy statement that covers this interaction can we have a privacy statement change from ats to garenty privacy when moving between sites?

xploder

ps not trying to be a pain my tin foil hats going into overdrive on this one

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
There's no way I would ever Join an ATS group on facebook.
Not unless I wanted to be laughed at by everyone on my facebook, I mean have you even read the threads about here SO? Maybe 1 in 100 of them are legit.

You dont have to make your interest in that visible on your home page. I know I dont

Its only conspiracy websites that claim facebook has links to the CIA, etc etc.

For the record, Ive never had any issue with facebook, and I really dont give two hoots about who is viewing it. Now I might post a nice little status to the CIA using a certain word with 4 letter and starting with F. We'll see if the CIA really cares what people post on facebook

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Hence, the Block Button.

Besides, go ahead and try and Bully me!!!

fb is my stomping grounds...and I have friends!!!! Haha

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

is it over the top to warn all ats users of the risks of social networking sites and the lack of privacy i have read the ATS privacy statement
there is nothing in there about privacy protection from exterior sites linked to ats like facebook

its a good idea for ratings and to get the message out to jump on fb but are our members protected ?
is there going to be a change of privacy statement warning of external ats page on face book?

sorry to be a pain as you can imagine im a conspiracy theorist

xploder

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER
reply to post by greeneyedleo

is it over the top to warn all ats users of the risks of social networking sites and the lack of privacy i have read the ATS privacy statement
there is nothing in there about privacy protection from exterior sites linked to ats like facebook

its a good idea for ratings and to get the message out to jump on fb but are our members protected ?
is there going to be a change of privacy statement warning of external ats page on face book?

sorry to be a pain as you can imagine im a conspiracy theorist

xploder

Well nobody is forced to do it. And nobody has to use their real life identity on FB. I do not. If people have issues on FB, FB has ways of reporting it.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

I really like the art links in your signature

Originally posted by XPLodER

how did fb know im them without a log in and pass?
is it storing information about ats user vs facebook user info?

xploder

Some websites have the ability to share or "like" events. You'll typically be asked to log into your Facebook account. The website then cache's the information.

If a Facebook "application" requires information to be kept longer than 24hrs or post items to your wall that's public, think mafia wars, the app will ask permission to access the the information it needs.

Have you ever used a RSS reader. We've aimed this to be an another "fun" way to enjoy the RSS feeds we already offer.

[edit on 23-8-2010 by ATSmediaPRO]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by earth2

exposing the main stream citizen to ats has positive and negitives
the block button is going to become more neccecary as ill wager ats becomes friends with millions of fb folks some of whom have not read the face book privacy statement

i fear we will be judged by the unwashed mases as nutters and unwitting ats members will have there personal lifes effected by there beleifs on ats this may bring bulling to face book

is it fair to ask for a disclaimer to make people aware on how to protect themselfs when they join fb if they are ats members

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   

i have no problems with rss feeds and exposure
thank you for your responce
this will increase the membership base and educate a new catagory of internet users
let me look at this like a good thing for all

and your right i guess an anonamous account would fix the privacy issiue

does ATS have the responability to warn users to use annon fb accounts if they dont want the privacy problem?

xploder

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Will you be taking part of "YoVille" or "Farmville" and trying to trade chickens
for ATS points?

[edit on 23-8-2010 by cluckerspud]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I clicked my "like button".

Now all those being scared or worrying about it. Every time you connect to the internet you put out an IP. This IP tells who your service provider is. If the government really wanted to they could contact your ISP and get every little bit of info you have gave them.

I am in no way saying to sign up for facebook. I in fact would not have gotten into facebook if it wasn't a good way to keep up with family and friends. I have met some good people on there as well. My best friend I have had in years I met on FB.

If you want any info about me it was out there before facebook. It will continue to be out there.

This is a good move for ATS in my opinion. Get the knowledge out. If signing up to facebook can open the eyes to just one more person they have done a successful job.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by cluckerspud

I would prefer the new WestWars as its the only one I play. Lets go with that? Then I benefit.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I deactivated my FB account months ago.

There is way to much childish drama there also.

My family and friends already know I'm crazy and I sure don't want them to have anymore ammunition to stoke that feeling.

Not afraid the government will find anything about me they don't already know. It's the crazy members we get on ATS that I want to keep my private life from.

I just don't want my business on the streets. And i consider FB a wide open main avenue to the world.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join