It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I do NOT want to contact Extra-terrestrial life... Thankyou.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

wow, what a post.
2nd

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   

When I first read your post, I loved it, and I still do it very articulately written and make a fantastic point. Despite this I disagree, what if ET does want to destroy us, but he wants to do it slowly. What if he enslaves the human race?

It is true we can only imagine what evils or acts of compassion and kindness ET is capable of, I however am of the opinion that ET would seek to harm us in unspeakable ways. Therefore when it comes to you point I would simply say “better the devil you know”.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
To Kevin above (but mod also accidentally removed who response is directed to and I don't know how to put it back) Sorry about including the 5 additional lines (or the whole post) when this is the line I was pointedly responding to...though standing alone like this doesn't make a whole lot of sense, at least I am following the rules...

what if ET does want to destroy us, but he wants to do it slowly. What if he enslaves the human race?

If this is the case... I would say those enslaving and manipulating, killing us slowly type of extra terrestrials...are here already.

How about big letters? Are they OK?

[edit on 23-8-2010 by rusethorcain]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by rusethorcain

Yeah but he is clearly not, I think I would know if I had been enslaved by an ET.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

Think of it this way. If a race of beings advanced enough to traverse the universe to get here actually came here there are a few items I would consider a given.

a) If they are so far beyond our level of advancement they've passed through and come out on top of the "lets kill each other and our planet off" phase.

b) Our world governments have nothing to offer such an advanced species that they couldn't take by force or by technology, so the governments become irrelevant. If they want Earth to know they're there, we will know it!

c) If they are "out there" and if they have "come here" then when they are ready and not a moment before we will know about it regardless of how ready or not ready we think we are. We is used for the whole planet of human beings.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK
I am worried though that for the actions of a few scientists trying to make contact, advance mankind and also make a name for themselves, they are putting ME in jeopardy and I have never asked them to do this...... When was I ever consulted as a member of the human race about trying to contact 'races' who would probably by definition be Technologically Superior' to us

Who consulted you in regards to radio transmissions? Who consulted you in regards to wireless communications? Who consulted you in regards to the internet? Are you willing to give those up?

The point I'm trying to make is we don't know what kind of human activity would be enough for an extraterrestrial civilization — assuming they are out there — to notice us. Maybe just by the mere fact that we exist and are sentient is enough for them to know we are here.

We don't know, exactly, how scientific advances will change and impact our lives. I believe, however, overall, we are better off due to all the discoveries, advances and knowledge we have gained thanks to man's natural curiosity and adventurous spirit.

There were people, during the Portuguese and Spanish voyages of discovery, that were against the exploration of the seas and the world — undoubtedly motivated by the fear of the unknown — and forewarned that terrible things would happened if men insisted in these journeys of discovery. Where would we be now if some men didn't, willingly, sail towards the unknown, despite warnings and opposition of some?

If humans cease to exist, or if planet Earth is destroyed, so be it. It will, probably, eventually happen. But how sad would that be to happen without we even trying to find out what's beyond this blue planet's atmosphere?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   

your entire basis here is fear.

with that attitude we would never have used fire to keep us warm, or learned to hunt, or migrated to other countries,

i shouldnt have to say it, but fear is bad, and it should never get in the way.

"fear nothing but fear itself" right?

[edit on 2010/8/23 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Sadly perhaps it's a moot point, it's already too late to worry about it now.

The fact is that with the invention of EM transmission systems (ie radio then later TV) we have been broadcasting high-power signals for 75ish years. Any message deliberately sent by a scientist or organization would be received some 40 years after a species had detected our 'leaked' signals and was aware of our presence.

I won't argue that to take the deliberate initiative towards making contact has it's risks, but they are neglible.

On the topic of who may be listening...although I am of the opinion that peace is the rule not the exception, that doesn't entirely mean sunshine and rainbows.

Star Trek's BORG have a peaceful society, they also reflect the high-minded ideals of uniting all sentient races into one grand civilization. As an advanced technological species they have the experience and knowledge to understand what is best for everyone. Like any good government they have taken it upon themselves then to make the decision for us, even if we think that decision is wrong.

It is only through ignorance that primitive species reject their ideas.

Our own history shows us that it is exceptionally rare for a conquerer/liberater to act out of deliberate malice. The most disgusting atrocities have been commited in an effort to bring knowledge and enlightenment to those who lack it.

My biggest concern is that they are missionairies travelling through space on a quest to spread the glorious teachings of Gozer the Destructor to the heathens.

[edit on 23-8-2010 by [davinci]]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Interesting stuff.

If we are currently being visited by Aliens, it's safe to assume they are not wantonly destructive or warlike. If they were, we'd have cases of people being incinerated or whatever pending on their technology. If you look at all the testimonials through the past century, UFO's seem to be more concerned with studying (i.e. abductions) and just cruising around in our skies making abrupt turns for no reason.

I however, don't rule out the possibility of any alien life not being warlike because they have "outgrown" such violence. Uhh, that's presumptuous to say the least. Violence and War will be a constant with Humans untill we evolve into something decidedly not Human. Who is to say this does or does not apply to an ET species?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by kevinunknown

I see where you are comming from to a degree... I guess it comes down to a matter of attitude. I would rather be presented with an enemy outside of my expirience, than face being terminated by my own kind. I base my preference on the premise that I would rather fight and die by the hand of an enemy, than take my own life.
On the one hand you have global suicide, and on the other you have a slow interplanetary homocide... I would rather be killed than kill myself. Perhaps Im just odd

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Firstly Thanks for the replies, they make interesting reading and offer different opinions to the one I initially suggested...

I think straight away though that the overriding point here is that we DON'T know and can only 'speculate' on any form of contact, visitation or Invasion...

As 'Pryingopen3rdeye' suggested, my post was fear based. Not really, I would have liked a more 'Stealth' based approach as opposed to a Fred Astaire approach (All singing and dancing).

'Spangler' said that we should embrace exploration and new adventures.. I agree with that, it's like an animal species which stops exploring it's environment will probably become extinct sooner or later..... However the examples you gave were of historical explorers and not their effect on the indigenous people (that's us here) whose lives changed forever.

I think BIG assumptions are being made, like 'Seenmyshare' made. Any advanced race will have passed into a more peaceful society....... says who ??? Who says that as species evolve they become more peaceful...... in other parts of the Galaxy the reverse might be true.......?!

As my mate 'KevinUnknown' said we will automatically have slipped down the foodchain upon the arrival of any ET visiting our shores. There will be a purpose and if we cannot match a technological requirement (probably not) then it must be for our resources, whatever those might be....Maybe, as suggested we can teach them to bake the perfect 'intergalactic Cup Cake '??

I also agree with 'TrueBrit' when they say that we have been holding ourselves together by Mutually Assured Destruction.. It's a sad inditement of ourselves and yet illustrates that RESPECT of someone else strength is a match for any form of peace..........

That leads me to 'Rusthorcain' and the suggestion that i was ''not really a fan of Star Trek''...... On the contrary, I do not attend conventions with ear attachments blurting out Klingon but I do subscribe to a society without CASH and which works together to develop and evolve.... Sadly not possible in my lifetime probably... The whole concept of Star Trek was to explore 'brave new worlds, seek out new life and civilizations.. etc you know the rest'' BUT once again we were the explorers here and CURRENTLY we are the people waiting to BE EXPLORED....

There is a difference....

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Contact if possible is inevitable. An superior alien race can have surpassed technology and be looking for a planet to colonize in an attempt to reconnect with nature. What if technology creates automaton societies and destroy nature in et societies ? What if they come to kick us out like Christopher Columbus did the Native Americans? LOL wouldnt that be funny? What if aliens worship a superior God and come to do missionary work on earth? LOL wouldnt that be funny? What if the aliens come and push us onto reservations ? What if aliens only come to take all the animals and leave us behind for a 2012 doomsday scenario? wouldnt that be funny? WHat if the aliens come to enforce a new political system of freedom, their democratic approach, and kill off all "patriots"? wouldnt that be funny? What if the aliens come to be our Gods and use us as slaves? woudlnt that be funny? What if the aliens wanted to control the media and tell us what they find conveniently news? wouldnt that be funny?..... etc... lmbo

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Because in order to still be around in say a couple thousand years they haven't destroyed themselves. I base this opinion, and it is only an opinion, on the fact that mankind seems bent on doing that very thing.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK
'Spangler' said that we should embrace exploration and new adventures.. I agree with that, it's like an animal species which stops exploring it's environment will probably become extinct sooner or later..... However the examples you gave were of historical explorers and not their effect on the indigenous people (that's us here) whose lives changed forever.

I don't agree with your analysis that we are the indigenous people. The indigenous people weren't doing the exploring, the Europeans were. Unless you are native american or african, ‘we’ were the explorers.

It's undeniable that this interaction between the peoples didn't turn out to be good for the natives, but, perhaps naively, I think if something similar were to happen nowadays things would have a more peaceful outcome.

BUT once again we were the explorers here and CURRENTLY we are the people waiting to BE EXPLORED....

Why can't we be the explorers?

I think your premise is based on the assumption that aliens are here, or on their way. Although my personal opinion on what lies behind the UFO phenomena contemplates that possibility — I think some evidence, although still inconclusive, points to that possibility being true, on some shape or form — I don't take it for granted.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by SeenMyShare

Humans have been around for thousands of years, arguably longer, and yet here we are today. In fact, despite our technology becoming more dangerous, we treat each other as a species better today than ever.

Food for thought.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Spangler

Spangler

The comparison I was making was this

Indigenous people (Humanity) and Europeans (ET)

Also you said
'Why can't we be the explorers?'

Realistically we currently do not have the technology to Travel or explore outside our solar system in any meaningful timeframe..

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

[edit on 23-8-2010 by PurpleDog UK]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Don't let pre-conditioned fear run your life... It seems like we were all brain washed to fear the unknown, but if contact meant that I could find more meaning to life, more peace of mind, and more answers to questions, then I'm all game.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by monkeySEEmonkeyDO

monkeySEEmonkeyDO

Maybe an approach of 'Caution' is better than 'Blind Euphoria'.

I think there is lots to learn and explore however to shout from the rooftops to an Unknown crowd as opposed to a more researched approach and measured approached.. ( a little bit like recon).... which would you choose, if you HAD been given that choice ??

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   

I'm thinking this planet is too far gone, and civilization can never be turned around. With that being said, I would embrace and welcome them only to get a fresh start on ideas.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   

I think we both have a fundamentally difference of opinion it does not make either of us right or wrong, I to can see where you are coming from.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join