It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I do NOT want to contact Extra-terrestrial life... Thankyou.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Hello

Like I said in the title,

" I do NOT want to contact Extra-terrestrial life"...

This may seem like a strange thing to say on a forum like this but I am concerned about what may happen if we pursue this direction...

I know Professor Stephen Hawking commented recently that Humanity should be doing all it can to avoid contact. I know others say that we have 'already' been visited and are currently in league with different races....

I am worried though that for the actions of a few scientists trying to make contact, advance mankind and also make a name for themselves, they are putting ME in jeopardy and I have never asked them to do this...... When was I ever consulted as a member of the human race about trying to contact 'races' who would probably by definition be Technologically Superior' to us..... Does that not worry you ?

I am of the mind that if there had been any contact then we would all be aware by now.......... and if not and there is cooperation with our leaders and Aliens then we are already on a downward slippery slope ....

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Whether or not we have been "contacted" and that is known is a far cry from finding the truth. We (the people) will not find out until its to late, and by then "our" opinions will be irrelevant.

We never had input to what may happen or who is "in" charge, because we have allowed ourselves to be led and not leaders. We now have or think we have a chance to make a difference, but I think its to late.

Peace.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
My thoughts on this run a slightly different direction...

If a species advanced enough to actually make it here (no small feat) were to arrive, I think that our world "leadership" would almost certainly be irrelevant.

If this alien species were altruistic I don't buy for a second that they'd fall into a secret pact with a handful of shady politicians who can't even keep their own secrets very well, much less anything on this kind of scale. I think that we'd all know, very quickly, what was happening.

And the same goes if these visitors were hostile. I doubt that our technology would be up to the task of keeping an invasion at bay and far enough away that we would not have first hand knowledge of it.

This has always been my own mental stalemate on this subject. I think that if ET were here, we'd ALL know.

So I don't think about staying "under the radar" in the same way that others do. Due to our broadcasts we are no longer "under the radar", so to speak, and if some other species notices us, and chooses to be curious, we have little say in the matter, I would think.

[edit on 8/23/10 by Hefficide]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

I assume you're basing this fear around the premise Hawking laid out in the quote beneath.

"We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet," Hawking said. "I imagine they might exist in massive ships, having used up all the resources from their home planet. Such advanced aliens would perhaps become nomads, looking to conquer and colonise whatever planets they can reach."

In my opinion, this would be unlikely. The fact that if we're being visited by ETs, they would already have extraordinary capabilites in technology, and I doubt earth would have anything to offer them. Furthermore, I bet there are several uninhabited planets, closer to them than earth, that could offer them the same, if not more valuable resources.

I think that if ETs are visiting, it's because of curiosity and not by sinister intentions. This is however just speculation, but it's healthy speculation at least.

But in spite of what's mentioned above, the means scientists use for contacting ET civilizations today will take at least thousands of years to reach their target, so the threat is not imminent by any means. And by that point, we would have progressed so greatly that we would have expanded our civilization to several places in the galaxy, or we have obliterated ourselves. Either way, I don't think there's anything to fear.

[edit on 23/8/10 by Droogie]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   
If there really is ET intelligence out there - I for one, would love to know all about them. I welcome contact. It would make us earthlings feel not as alone in this Universe.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
We would hope they were intelligent enough to have grown out of war and pillaging.

Even if we did make contact with a hostile race via radio signals, chance is they would never even be able to reach us.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Im sure there are some highly intelligent evil Alien races out there. Aliens that are based around war and conquest and wouldnt think twice about making Earth their new little war-zone before they .ed elsewhere to declare war.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:52 AM
link   
I think if aliens wanted to do us harm, they'd have done it by now. My guess is there'd be no war, no fireworks, just a simple but deadly alien-engineered chemical or virus injected into our atmosphere that'd do away with humanity in a trice.

Personally though I don't think they'd be here to help either. We know throughout nature that every species is out for itself. Why should other beings from different planets be any different?

I'm with the OP. I don't want them here. I don't trust them.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by InterestedUK

You make Aliens sound like its...singular and not plural.

But yeah, if we were to radio contact an Alien race that is evil, it could be bad news for us and we'd be biting off more than we could chew.

I guess its kind of like going fishing. Lets throw enough signals into space and maybe, just maybe, we'll contact an Alien race.......but lets hope its not an evil Alien race...........

meh

JAK

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Michio Kaku echoed that concern too, perhaps we should quieten down.

He also stated that this is the most dangerous time for a civilization, the transfer from a type 0 to a type 1 civilization, we should make the transition from a type 0 to a type 1 civilization in about 100 years time. Reflecting on the power of a civilization which might be contacted and would be able to pop over for a visit (at least type 2) he suggested caution might be wise. I do wonder though if when one takes into account the time taken to reach such advanced technological stages it would be fair to presume that societal advancement would have reached a stage where indescriminate culling for resources, fun or whatever reasons can be imagined might be a thing of the past. Just as we generally don't club a passing shopper in order to obtain groceries.

I realise it is a presumption but I don't believe it is an outrageous one.

Of course there is the chance that we won't be met with welcoming smiles and I will admit that the sentence:

When was I ever consulted as a member of the human race about trying to contact 'races' who would probably by definition be Technologically Superior' to us

does pose an interesting question over those making attempts at contact with a belief that it is safe to do so.

If the fate of humanity could depend on attracting the wrong kind of attention then who has the authority to make the decision that it's a risk worth taking? Dave, the eccentric scientist? A single country? Henry, the mild mannered janitor?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:59 AM
link   
I agree some what.....part of me wants to contact Aliens so that we know we arent alone....however, another part of me wants to be cautious.

Sometimes when you go knocking on the devils door, sooner or later, hes gonna finally answer.

[edit on 23-8-2010 by -Blackout-]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by InterestedUK

In my opinion "trust" is a human emotion, and we have so many, that it may cause " a change of events" if we are contacted and do NOT have the mind set to make things better, we will get what we asked for.

We as a planet are looking for a savior, a way out, little do we know that we have had it in us all along. By the time we see it it will be to late, and "that" will be of our own doing.

Peace.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Well thankyou,

Now that ATS has your own personal opinion on the matter thanks to this thread, I think we can all move along cordially.

I know I for one will be sleeping better at night.

JAK

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

Why so rude? You can read my opinion here and note that I am not necessarily in agreement that there is any great cause for concern. I do think though the opening post points to the question mentioned earlier:

If the fate of humanity could depend on attracting the wrong kind of attention then who has the authority to make the decision that it's a risk worth taking?

It seems fair enough that someone might want to comment on the issue of another undertaking a task that they consider has the potential to cause the extinction of mankind.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by JAK

Michio Kaku echoed that concern too, perhaps we should quieten down.

Have you seen this guy on the ice? Man he's good.

I agree with some of what has been said, in particular we are not consulted about any important potentially Earth changing decisions that are made. Therefore if there are ETs out there to be contacted, they will be ,and there will be nothing we can do about it.

What I wonder is what the reply from other species will be? What if they say we'll give you the key to certain technologies if you provide us with something... Then yet again that deal is not our decision either.

So I do share some of your concerns PurpleDog but what an exiting time it will be!

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:53 AM
link   

I agree, I never really thought about it this way until reading the OP... nobody ever asked me if I want them to go about broadcasting my location to the entire universe.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

Then shhhhhhh. They will hear you.

Not a big Star Trek fan were you?
If there is anyone that wants us they could have had us by now.
Chances are, WE are the most dangerous life form in our universe.

It is our stupidity and ignorance that will kill us.

Not using our brains.

[edit on 23-8-2010 by rusethorcain]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   
S&F,

Totally agree with you apart form that last little bit about aliens and the government in cahoots with each other. Just something I have always struggled to believe.

That said however I agree with you on everything else, seems really stupid to me to be actively attempting to make contact with an off planet species that could really push us down the food chain. I don’t think the human race is really going to make a huge leap in space exploration until we need to. We will probably only need to once we have destroyed our own planet and are looking for a new (I am thinking a good few hundred years from now). I think it is safe to assume that any alien species might be doing the same and our little blue planet just might be the perfect place for them. And there isn’t going to be room for us both, we’re by definition at this point lower in the food chain, so Mr. ET, if he has any sense would probably just kill us all and conquer our planet. I really don’t think he would bother trying to get the politicians on side first.

Again your totally right on the issue of not letting the people have a say in any of this. We literally have a bunch of scientists and space freaks who are stamping the words “ET’s we’re an essay target” right across the equator. I do not remember having any say on any of this, and I really should, just like the other 6.5 billion of us.

What I want to know is why do we have to make contact, if you think about it we have everything to lose and nothing to gain. The only thing that we can gain from contact is the knowledge that we are not alone in the universe and we already know that it is a near certainty that we are not alone. Sure there is going to be somebody now spouting about how we can learn from them through their technology. However if one assumes that their technology has been developed around their biology and intellect, what we can learn is going to be limited. In addition to this we are assuming they would want to shear when it’s probably more likely that they would come to conquer, so they would never shear their technology with us.

In the face of this like I said before it does raise the question, why is it that we want to make contact. Why has the government not intervened? As far as I can tell there is no government control or regulation in the quest to communicate with ET, that safe guards the human population.

Then again you and I could be completely wrong and ET only wants to visit us to make cup cakes, however for me the glass is half empty, I am just not a big enough optimist or fantasist to think that is a real possibility.

[edit on 23-8-2010 by kevinunknown]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   
I appreciate the concerns expressed by other posters on the board, and by the OP regarding first contact with another species of intelligent beings. However, there is more to consider than wether or not they themselves are dangerous.
We live in a time where man kills man, daily , over differences of religion, differences of politics, differences of colour, ideals and for money... we are constantly finding new reasons to throw lead at each other in increasingly violent ways, usualy over nothing. We are always escalating, as if we as a species were some sociopath, just finishing his last animal autopsy, before moving on to the next, and most harrowing stage in the development of our homicidal tendancies. For decades, the only thing preventing our species from ending itself in an orgy of war and destruction, has been the fear of one another, of instant retribution, equal to the fury of any initial assault.
Personaly , I would rather the world ended because of something outside of the human race, than wake up one day to watch the world die, while we as a species twist the knife in our own guts.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

I also appreciate the concerns expressed by the other posters on the board regarding first contact with another species. And I also agree there is much more to consider than whether they are dangerous.

Because we do live in a time where man kills man, daily over differences of religion, politics, color, and money... we ARE always escalating, like a regular sociopath, and moving on to the next, of our homicidal tendencies.

I see this in our natures and comment on it all the time. We are the most dangerous creature for a few light years (If I might quote myself)

I also agree completely that for decades, and even longer, "the only thing preventing our species from ending itself in an orgy of war and destruction, has been the fear of one another, of instant retribution, equal to the fury of any initial assault." It is called fear of mutual destruction. Like if we both have bombs it will prevent us from using ours on them. What a concept!
I feel exactly like you in that I also would rather the world ended because of something outside the human race. I would hate to see us kill ourselves although that may be where we are .ed. I'd rather be taken over by a superior species and die, fighting with some dignity and self respect.
Better that than to wake up one day and as you say so well "watch the world die, while we as a species twist the knife in our own guts."

This would be terrible to me, and among the worst things that can happen to us.

Better?

[edit on 23-8-2010 by rusethorcain]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join