It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ADHD doesnt exist

page: 34
<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by virraszto

Hi virraszto

To be honest, not many people care on this thread what you have to say, believe me, i have tried. As far as some poeple are concerned, your/my condition is not real, and no matter what you say, they will not believe you, or anyone else who comes here.

Now, this is what annoys me, i have had some people on this thread who seem to think that i love my condition, that i am glad i have it. These people seem so angry, almost jealous, so that brings out the hate, and the BS they say about adhd/add. They seem to think they know everything about the condition, and what we are feeling. This is pure 100% arragonce and ignorance.

Some of these people have disapeared from this thread because they have been proved wrong on certain things. This annoys me too, because they are too arragont to hols their hands up and say, ok, i was wrong.

These are the type of people we have to deal with!

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Okay, first off, not every kid who's diagnosed with "add" is a tormented, misunderstood genius.
Some kids are just stupid...like how some adults are just stupid.
So, all of this bleeding heart, liberal, compassionate nonsense is just a bunch of bleeding heart, liberal, compassionate nonsense.
The fact of the matter is, is that kids, no matter how smart or otherwise, are all dumb.
That's why they're still kids...because they're stupid...literally.
Their brains haven't fully formed yet and the logic centers that control rational, planning thought haven't developed yet.
Some kids are slower to react than others.
And if any of you can prove that diet (especially with all the bullsh#t, highly dangerous chemistry going into modern foods) doesn't play a part in all of this, I'll eat my hat.
(I don't wear a hat, but I will go buy the most delicious looking one and eat it if I need to.)
"Ohhhhhh my kid has add"...."I was never diagnosed but I'm sure I have add" wah wah wah.
F'n grow up people!
Honestly...there's an f'n excuse for everything these days.
You honestly think that there was add more than a few years ago?
You've got to be f'n kidding me.
ADD is like the Valentine's day of disorders...made up by corporations to sell sh#t to gullible people that they don't need.
Go look up some of these alternative learning programs that focus on diet and exercise and a quiet learning environment and you'll see that every single instance of "add" went the way of the dinosaurs.
"Too much sugary cereal and television" was intended to be an understatement.
All of you who are getting all up in arms and trying to defend this "add" phenomenon are all just enablers.
All ready to whinge about the problem but do absolutely nothing about it.
And before you get on me about what I'm saying...I work in behavioral health, formerly with psychotics/schizophrenics and now with autistic young adults...so I've seen my share of successes and failures with all sorts of treatments.
I was diagnosed with add when I was a teen.
My parents tried putting me on meds.
Y'know what?
I didn't take them.
Y'know why?
Because I was a fidgety, hyperactive, obnoxious teenager!
All teenagers are fidgety, hyperactive and obnoxious.
And y'know what?
Under the right circumstances, and with the right guidance, they f'n outgrow it because they become f'n adults!
Put any "add" kid on a low-sugar, junk-food-free, mostly vegetarian/vegan diet and those symptoms will melt away (unless they suffer from actual physiological damage to the brain from trauma or malformations)...guaranteed.
But no...you people would rather torment yourselves with "should I give little Johnny/Sally meds? Oh me oh my..what kind of parent would I be?" whinge whinge whinge...
It's like you all suffer from some sort of Munchhausen's disease to some degree or another.
You tell a kid they have "add" and all of a sudden they're symptoms worsen because they start believing all that sh#t you're shoveling at them.
Or have you not noticed?
Every parent wants their kids to be special...some tormented little genius who needs extra-special care so that they can unlock their full potential and blah blah blah.
You need to take into consideration that there's an amazingly high likely hood that your kid IS NOT special and will aspire to the exact same levels of mediocrity as their parents and their parents before them.
Oh, is that a bit of harsh reality that you don't want to face?
Then go medicate your kids and wish the world for them, live vicariously though them and tell yourself the little lies that they really are super special and that if this world were a fair place and didn't curse them with some made up, bullsh#t "learning disorder", they'd "unlock their full potential".
Just because you didn't, doesn't mean they won't...with or without your blessings, "treatments" or understanding.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Matthew Dark

Another clueless post, and another poster who seems to think he knows everything!

I was diagnosed with ADD as an adult. Not as a child. In the uk, little was know about adhd, so, i knew something was wrong, but did not know what. Some kids out grow adhd, that is very true, but some kids don't, and thats where ADD comes along.

And what is all this crap about parents loving there "little genius" what aload of rubbish! Again, i sense this kind of jealousy from certain people on this board who think that ADD is supposed to be a cool thing to have! Again! a load of rubbish.

Tell me why i think its "cool" to have ADD? Come on! im sure you people can read minds because you seem to know how we think and feel!

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Actually I think the most clueless posts are the ones where people rush in to defend a bogus pseudo-science (psychiatry) whose claims (ie. the brain chemical imbalance theory) is backed up by NO scientific evidence.

www.medicalnewstoday.com...

Whilst I have every sympathy for people who feel stressed and anxious about certain agitated, excited or non-optimum behaviour - on their own part or on others - I think the main thing to remember here is that we have a multi-billion industry that is actively TARGETING CHILDREN for DANGEROUS DRUGS, and which masquerades under an entirely bogus and sham guise of scientific respectability.

Yes, it's YOUR children that are being targeted for these drug abominations. It's YOUR children that you are being told you should shepherd into the "chemical straightjacket":

www.buzzle.com...

Hopefully anyone searching for help may find useful info here:

www.blockcenter.com...

Also the use of something as simple (and cheap) as fish oil has been found to help concentration:

www.independent.co.uk...

There are solutions in life which don't necessitate you falling into the psychiatric trap.

[edit on 24-8-2010 by OurManInGlasgow]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by OurManInGlasgow
Actually I think the most clueless posts are the ones where people rush in to defend a bogus pseudo-science (psychiatry) whose claims (ie. the brain chemical imbalance theory) is backed up by NO scientific evidence.

www.medicalnewstoday.com...

Whilst I have every sympathy for people who feel stressed and anxious about certain agitated, excited or non-optimum behaviour - on their own part or on others - I think the main thing to remember here is that we have a multi-billion industry that is actively TARGETING CHILDREN for DANGEROUS DRUGS, and which masquerades under an entirely bogus and sham guise of scientific respectability.

Yes, it's YOUR children that are being targeted for these drug abominations. It's YOUR children that you are being told you should shepherd into the "chemical straightjacket":

www.buzzle.com...

Hopefully anyone searching for help may find useful info here:

www.blockcenter.com...

Also the use of something as simple (and cheap) as fish oil has been found to help concentration:

www.independent.co.uk...

There are solutions in life which don't necessitate you falling into the psychiatric trap.

[edit on 24-8-2010 by OurManInGlasgow]

Here we go again! people who are so arragont and ignornat to think that they know what the condition is, and what it is not, and how we are exactly feeling and what is going through our minds!

And you call me clueless! Ok, i have ADD tell me more about my life, as you seem to know how i am feeling!

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-morris

To be honest, not many people care on this thread what you have to say, believe me, i have tried.

This is where the "poor me, give me attention" syndrome shows.

Not only have I thanked you for your contributions and responded to some of your posts but also applauded one of them.

The "people dont care about me in this thread" thing wont fly.

[edit on 24-8-2010 by Skyfloating]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

I think he was referring to the "I have my opinion based on my personal interpretation of my own experience, I will state it as fact and stick to it no matter what, regardless of the personal testimony of others" effect, Sky.

I've found that to be an interesting thought-point when reading this thread: What does "openmindedness" mean? Does it include changing one's opinion and assumptions based solely on the honest testimony of others? Can one be openminded and still assert "my version of truth cannot contain that which doesn't intersect my personal experience"?

Is it honesty or stubbornness to so assert? A topic worthy of another thread...

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Did I say everyone? Did I say you? No, I did not.
And if you can't see the insults and stupid post from the "add is bs" people, then you never will.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Jay-morris

Nowadays the only way to insult nobody is to have no opinion at all.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Well, that's a great answer. The fact you don't even acknowledge that some people on this thread
Are throwing insults to people like me, says slot about you.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   
its easier to diagnose add or adhd then slap a real illness or sickness on you.

imagien what would happen if all you add or adhd ´s where diagnosed with asberger syndrom instead since it to bears a multitude of the same syndroms as add and adhd but its a real neurological dysfunction.

are you happy you where diagnosed as add or adhd or would you have been happier having been diagnosed with asberger ?

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   

I have no problem accepting the validity of your suffering, your experience and the solutions you have chosen for your experience.

But I am not required to make your views of them my views.

Sharing your experiences is time well spent, but trying to get others to change their beliefs is a waste of time.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Thank you for your courage in sharing your story on this thread.

You described to a tee what life used to be like for me, I was diagnosed with add too, and put on the meds, they helped just like you said.

They raised my blood pressure so I quit taking them. And I found ways to cope, it is like I am walking through molasses while everyone else gets to take the bridge over it.

I wanted to share a few of the things I do to help manage at work.(I really am hard of hearing, years of rock concerts as a teen damaged my hearing).

I make lsits, always, and do things in the same order each day. I have a list of that order and those things posted on the wall for everyone. Get one of those electronic voice recorders with conference setting. I gave fifty bucks for mine but it can really save your life if you are in a meeting or need to save information but cannot take notes for some reason. It can easily be slipped into a pocket or purse for less embarassment.

I always get to my job early, because I know it takes me a bit longer than others. I have not once told my coworkers about my condition although I am not hiding it, and have mentioned all over the web, and it has even been published!! I make sure to repeat what people say to me, right after they say it.

Repetitive work is easiest for me too, and I meditate now, I also use cognitive behavior therapy, and if you would like to know more about that, there are many wonderful websites to get the ball rolling. That made the biggest difference changing the way I allowed my brain to work (negative self defeating rambling thoughts vs. being able to follow a thought from beg. to end, and breaking the negative thought loop and creating new synapses in my brain with replacement thoughts that I chose to put there, with positive meaning.)

eta one more suggestion, I got me and my sister smartphones, and mine has a camera/camcorder on it. Instead of copying notes I will take pictures of them. It comes in handy for a lot of things, and has a voice recorder built in. I download notepad apps, and keep lists on my phone.

All of my suggestions work concurrent with medication, as well, and I know over the years you have probably done a lot of things like I have to cope and be successful.

Good luck and once again thank you for sharing your story.

[edit on 24-8-2010 by hotbakedtater]

[edit on 24-8-2010 by hotbakedtater]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I'm usually a lurker here but this post warranted the need to register....

I ave to say this is complete garbage. I do agree that it is highly over-diagnosed but being someone that has ADD/ADHD and lost out on much of my life because I was never diagnosed until a later age, I can speak from experience.

All through my childhood, into adulthood. I was a complete mess. I could never complete a task, I was always getting into trouble. I was always skipping school, dropped out at 16. I could never hold a job. It had nothing to do with not being active enough, I played every sport, every day. I was always active....maybe because I couldn't sit still. I had depression problems that my parents did everything they possibly could to help. I was tested for everything but ADD. I was put in a hospital for a while to try and help me tough my problems. NOTHING worked. Finally at age 26 a new doctor decided to test me for ADD and my results were through the roof. We tried different medication and after a few different ones, i slowly started noticing a huge difference in myself.

Long story short, I have made some HUGE changes in my life, I have made leaps and bounds in what I am able to do because I can actually concentrate. I am able to live finally. Take it for what it's worth, yes a drug helped me and if I had known this back when I was 16 I would have stayed in school and done much better for myself.

However, I am doing VERY well and in fact, better than people I went to school with. I am married, my wife even sees the change in me. I have a daughter on the way. Rest assured I will not let her deal with everything I did. I know enough to distinguish the need for play time or less sugar. There is a lot more that goes into ADHD than hyper children, or someone on a sugar rush.

Do your research before you post nonsense because the fact is, it's very real and the solution is not as easy as you may think. medication alone isn't even the solution. It takes HARD WORK every day to live and manage the "illness". Medication only aides in coping with it. Flame all out want, I really don't care. Bottom line is it's real...very real..and impacts MANY lives.

It's too bad those that really do suffer from it get the "stink-eye" because of the doctors that prescribe meds to every child a parent says is too hyper because they are too lazy to play with their kids or watch over them when they are outside playing...they would rather them sit and as the OP says, play violent video games and watch movies young children should not be watching...so yes, that I do agree with you on!

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
It seems like a few people are getting a little frustrated here with one and other. Is there any chance that we can respect each individual for their own opinion and not take it personally?

I think the outcome would be a much better thread.

Can I suggest that when a reply makes you angry or frustrated, sit there for a moment and see why you are really angry?

We are all here for the same reason, going through these experiences together. Can we not help each other to further understand what we are discussing?

Sorry for that little ramble.

Back to the ADHD topic. Has anyone thought that those who are classed as ADD or ADHD have talents in other areas which don't necessarily meet the standard scholastic child? Like art, music, or any form of artistic expression?

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Star for you, because it slightly reminds me of myself though I am only 21 and pretty much half the time spent on this planet as you have spent. My next paragraph is going to be a response in general and won't be simply aimed towards you. Wish there was an easy way to distinguish this.

If one was to look at my track record of grades over the course of the years they would probably see that I am pretty much a D and C student, but when I was prescribed various ADHD medication my grades shot up to at least the B+ and A range. The downside to all of this was the wicked side effects that came with it. Most of the things that you would hear on commercials "depression, thoughts of suicide, etc." pretty much anything that would be on a commercial about the pill I probably went through it. Not only that to make matters worse I was on at least three different types and currently on the third now, not taking it as school hasn't gotten into a full swing as of yet but currently thinking about it later on.

Though I am skipping quite a bit of detail the thing that I remember quite vividly from when I went to the psychologist about this is that this medication was supposed to work two-fold [perhaps three?]. To help with my stress, agitation/anger, and my mind to focus on things. The thing is though as I stated before I was on three, the doctor's didn't know which one to put me on and I pretty much felt like a lab rat at the point of taking each one. Though it was a turbulent time for me and probably steps away from committing suicide my mom and I "SLIGHTLY" joke about it. Not in a sick sort of way but because we both were put on these "mind" medications so we communicated a bit more.

The only problem I see for this ADHD medication is the over perscribing. I mean heck the tests to see whether or not I had ADHD was simply answering some questions and clicking a mouse whenever some dot would appear. Apparently I clicked it too fast and therefore I needed something still don't understand how that works despite telling the doctor I play games.

Anyway starting to forget my main purpose of this post I know I was just going to relay some information, but now I feel it's becoming side-tracked perhaps I should take that medication and make another post to see how well I do

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Reflections

your question tends to lean toward an answer which is more related to autism then someone who cant concentrate,

sorry for being cynical,

but give any kid speed and they ll draw dance write very concentrated or above the "norm".

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by zerbot565

haha, okay I see the way you're looking at it, made me laugh. You have a good point.

I mean the characteristics of a person categorised as having ADHD may be slightly more gifted in the creative fields, and I stress --without-- medication and not whilst on medication.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Gigantea Rosa

I totally understand where you are coming from. I had these same tendancies as side effects but I didn't know it was the medication as I was very young. I was afraid to talk about it with my parents, but hey I learnt some valuable lessons from it but it's a serious emotional burden to have.

I started writing music when I was 11 or so and this helped me to deal with these emotional or depressed states of mind. I kept all the lyrics to what I used to write and it was actually very interesting to read much farther down the track.

Anyway what I really want to say is that I have compassion for you, I had this all through my childhood too, it's nice to know I'm not alone in this experience.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

I have no problem accepting the validity of your suffering, your experience and the solutions you have chosen for your experience.

But I am not required to make your views of them my views.

Sharing your experiences is time well spent, but trying to get others to change their beliefs is a waste of time.

If you have no problem excepting the "validity of my suffering" then why do you say such rubbish as i am looking for a symphathy vote, just because i am telling people what it is like to have the condition.

Don't you think i should speak up when people seem to believe that they know what's in my head, and how its all BS?

Don't you think i should speak up when we get ramdom people on here, who clearly know nothing about adhd/add, but still say its BS.

How comes i don't see you questioning these same people? but as soon as someone who has add/adhd comes on here, you come alive!

Don't you see the pattern there?

I don't care if you gave me points or whatever. I'm not here for points, i am here, as an ADD person.

I don't think i'm special because i have this condition, as many of you think on here. If you knew anything about the condition, or had it yourself, you would know how much of a nightmare it is.

Oh, the only people who claim that "we love being ADD" are the ones who think its BS. Hey, another pattern there!

Its seems to me that these are the people who are somehow jealous, because they think it makes us special, and thats where all the hate is coming.

There have been a few who have come on here, saying the same rubbish. They get proved wrong, then they disapear from the thread. They will not even write "ok, i was wrong about that" Now, what does that tell you?

These same people i have not seen you, or any of the other "add bs gang" question. Thats right, because you don't really care about these people, all you seem to care about is making stuff up on how we feel, and what is going through our heads, and how we love being adhd/add.

And that, my friend, is BS!

new topics

top topics

<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join