It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ADHD doesnt exist

page: 31
<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Personal Conclusion

You can tell whether peoples knowedge is based on Reason or not by the way they conduct themselves.

I have read EVERY SINGLE POST of this ridiculously massive thread and only very few of the posts arguing for ADHD are presented with reason and fair-mindedness. The post by offhumandescent comes to mind. And about two or three others. But that was all. More often the argument presented was emotion-laden, angry, hurt. Emotions cloud Reason.

Just in case I happen to be wrong about ADHD I apologize. But from what Ive learned here, I am not the only one who sees something fundamentally wrong.

There were many who partially agree. They say "I wouldnt say ADHD does not exist, but it is over-diagnosed and over-medicated".

I did not expect this thread to be running so hot, to be honest. However, it will be found by Google with people looking for answers, and people will find answers from all sides.

And isnt that wonderful? It allows for them to come to their own conclusions, based on hearing all sides.

There are those that dont want all sides to be heard. But luckily there is not much they can do about it. Thanks to the Internet.

At the top of the heading of this Forum it says to be mindful that this Forum is about conspiracies and alternative views. And that is exactly what was presented. A possible medical or pharmaceutical conspiracy.

I would like to, for the third time, make it very clear that not all of us categorically reject medicine, pills, doctors and psychiatrists. There is no need to paint us in this way.

For me personally, the Conspiracy runs much deeper. It relates to the way we see children, the way schools are run, what is taught in school, how drugs are seen and administered and how science views the human and the brain. But thats for other threads.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

Many of your posts appear to be questioning my motives for posting this. You are a very suspicious person. But maybe there is no motive for posting this other than to share an unpopular viewpoint I happen to have. And maybe I didnt post any links or research because its just something Ive noticed from real-life-experience, without having studied the subject specifically.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

You are a very suspicious person.

and here at ATS - that's really saying something - right?

let's just call it curiosity

I also have a sense of humor Sky

:-)

still wondering...

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I was just about to say this. Current research is indicating that the frontal cortex and temporal lobe are slower to develop in children suffering from ADHD, while at the same time the motor cortex is developing faster than the norm. Usually kids grow out of this since by the time their 21 the brain is fully developed, so there is a proper balance between these areas of the brain.

I don't understand how people can continue to believe that there is no science behind psychology. Do they think that we have these expensive machines like fMRIs and PET scans to make pretty pictures?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   

If you're thinking"how can he REALLY believe that? I thought he was better than that", let me remind you: You know my views on Meditation and Self-Healing so its not too far-fetched to conclude that ADHD is not the only illness I dont believe in. No, Im not posting about the others I dont believe in or all hell will break loose. And then people wonder why secrets are kept.

I believe what I said in the OP and continue to do so despite all the "evidence" that Millions of kids are ill.

[edit on 23-8-2010 by Skyfloating]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Originally posted by unityemissions
It seems like you're attention-seeking and are getting a kick out of making people upset. You've mentioned messing with people before just because you think their beliefs are dumb. That already shows a lack of compassion and a feeling of superiority. Major signs of NPD, but then you also claim to be "spiritual" and are all about love and light. I think it goes further than mere NPD, but I'll leave that for others to figure out.

I have noticed your other posts which refer to me as a sociopath, a jerk, etc.

Attempts at demeaning and insulting me reveal more about YOU than about me.

Lies.

I started out in this thread without attacking you in the least. All I said was that your logic was faulty, which it obviously is.

After seeing how you treated other members, I felt compelled to stick up for them. You display extreme apathy, deception, and outright manipulation of facts, all the while demeaning those who have genuine problems with this condition.

Just because some people who are labeled with ADHD are treated with pharmaceuticals, doesn't mean this is always the case. I have no clue why you've chosen to make such an absolute stance. It's nonsense. Try to be more reasonable, if you're going to claim that only a few posts here are with reason, hypocrite.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Many of your posts appear to be questioning my motives for posting this. You are a very suspicious person. But maybe there is no motive for posting this other than to share an unpopular viewpoint I happen to have. And maybe I didnt post any links or research because its just something Ive noticed from real-life-experience, without having studied the subject specifically.

Then why the title which is stated as fact not opinion? The only time that is done is to inflame, and if you meant to inflame conversation, great job! And if this is all opinion based, my story or gray area or best yet, Skunkworks would be the place to post it. If this is an opinion,no research OP why not clarify in your title?

Skyfloating wrote:

"... thread and only very few of the posts arguing for ADHD are presented with reason and fair-mindedness. The post by offhumandescent comes to mind. And about two or three others. But that was all. More often the argument presented was emotion-laden, angry, hurt. Emotions cloud Reason."

Emotions cloud reason? Angry? (have you read any of Dock9's posts? ) Hurt? Emotion-laden? As opposed to your OP which you admit is Opinion-laden, even though it was titled as fact?

And then, so what? I am a human being I possess emotion and feelings and I make them known. That is not a bad thing, it is normal. Emotions do not negate a voice in debate.

ETA, ofhumandescent exhibited, throughout the thread, more heartfelt emotion, and hurt, and anger than almost anyone, with her beautifully and appreciatively shared story of her journey with an adhd child. A long, emotional journey full of hurt and anger and love and caring and respect, and it shone through her post. As did ALL of the members emotions when sharing their personal experiences with this add/adhd topic.

What is the point of your statement as it pertains to the topic? You lost me on this one.

[edit on 23-8-2010 by hotbakedtater]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   

No, Im not posting about the others I dont believe in or all hell will break loose.

I'm intrigued to know what other illnesses and diseases don't exist Sky?
Please tell us some of the others you don't believe in... I'm sure others will be fascinated too.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Well put.

Reason is a mental faculty found in humans, that is able to generate conclusions from assumptions or premises. In other words, it is amongst other things the means by which rational beings propose (specific) reasons, or explanations of cause and effect. In contrast to reason as an abstract noun, a reason is a consideration which explains or justifies.
Reason

Obviously, reason without an emotional component is terribly flawed, as can be seen by many of Sky's posts.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

No, Im not posting about the others I dont believe in or all hell will break loose.

I'm intrigued to know what other illnesses and diseases don't exist Sky?
Please tell us some of the others you don't believe in... I'm sure others will be fascinated too.

My bet is that Sky doesn't believe in PTSD either. No proof, no real concrete evidence; just a bunch of malingering weaklings looking for sympathy.

[edit on 23-8-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Oh sure.... bunch of whining pussies.

And Depression, and Bi-Polar..... Post Natal Depression, Anxiety attacks... and a myriad of other mental health issues, none of which exist.
And if we all just meditate and reach enlightenment, as Sky has, then we'll all be fine.

I mean depression doesn't exist, people should just snap out of it...

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Skunkworks would have only been appropriate were it not for the many real-life-people and professionals and authors that tend to agree with me.

You must have missed them in this thread.

All the in-thread and out-thread calls for this thread to be removed, closed, tagged as hoax, moved to another forum are attempts at silencing an alternative view.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
My personal Conclusion is posted above. I dont have much more to say.

You guys could AT LEAST admit that there may be one or two children too many prematurely diagnosed with ADHD and that admistering Ritalin to 6 year olds is very questionable.

Also keep in mind that ADHD passes naturally oftentimes. That hints at the possibility that it was natural to begin with, does it not?

[edit on 23-8-2010 by Skyfloating]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Name me an illness that isn't misdiagnosed?
Just because some health professionals see money as the be-all-and-end-all, doesn't mean that certain mental conditions don't exist, just means that they're being exploited.... that's all.

Every section of society is affected by greed and money, none more so than the medical profession.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
My feelings on the "over-medication" of our children and the reasons for their behavior is based pretty much on observation. I feel that in the last 20 years, especially, the stress level has risen to such a degree, that it effects every aspect of a working person's life and carries over to our children.

My feelings are also based on the childhood of the "little bundle of energy". Public school is a very controlled environment and very difficult and boring for some children and I feel that the childhood of the parent plays a huge part in the type of energy a child carries. Are the parents relaxed? In the more severe cases of hyper-activity, the parents have some serious issues and it's not their fault, because they also are a product of a controlled and stressful environment. In other words, our children are an extension of ourselves.

(A more severe case)
I gave my little neighbor boy a glass of water and watched his hands shake. This little boy was on so much medication just to control his rages. It wasn't his fault. I'd hear his mother yelling at him constantly everyday outside. Whenever I came in contact with them, the mother would constantly berate this little boy for absolutely everything he did. Eventually the child was taken from her to 'detoxify' his system of all drugs, because he was on the highest level dosage there was. There was no where else to go, but down.

His mother has some very serious issues. She was surrounded by alcoholics growing up. I have sympathy for her, because it was devastating to have her child removed from her arms. It's been a life-long struggle for her at over-coming her childhood. She did get her children back, but her son greatly improved when he was removed from a stressful environment.

Another friend of mine was so controlling of her small son, he developed full-blown ADHD. I can't go into all the problems this yound boy had (it would take too long0, but it was 'hell' for the parents.

Also, maybe in some cases, it's not so much the home environment, but a child that has so much energy and suffers at the total confinement a public school brings. It seems boys do have a great deal of energy. I've walked the halls of grade school and know which teachers get the 'unruly' boys and most all these teachers want these kids medicated for their convenience.

Teachers are human too and need a measure of control in the classroom, but ALL children respond to love and patience and not constant yelling and sending that child to the office and then end up going to an alternative school, because they are unmanageable.

Only my observation.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Great post. I'm 14 and in person I can be loud and energetic. It's amazing that, just because of this, a huge amount of people think I should see a doctor. And each time I see a doctor, they want to get me full of drugs that have god knows what in them. Or perhaps test me for illegal drugs, which are probably not much worse than the pills they would prescribe for me. This is an age where being different is frowned upon, and most of the population are all the same stupefied morons. Besides the media and all that, drug companies must take a lot of the blame for this. Most of the 'illnesses' like ADHD that exist today are fictitious. They are not symptoms of something, they are personality traits. These illnesses are made up so these companies can sell you more pills. They are getting paid to kill creativity and destroy IQ's. That's what the world's become.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   

My personal Conclusion is posted above. I dont have much more to say.

You guys could AT LEAST admit that there may be one or two children too many prematurely diagnosed with ADHD and that admistering Ritalin to 6 year olds is very questionable.

What makes you think we don't believe that? Who is "you guys". These are cop outs. It seems the problem we have is with you absolute stances that ADHD=medicated kids, and ADHD doesn't exist at all.

Also keep in mind that ADHD passes naturally oftentimes. That hints at the possibility that it was natural to begin with, does it not?

Certainly so for some instances. What would you say so of the ones who don't outgrow it? I don't think anyone here thinks that ADHD comes from one root source, or that it's an end-all label. It's a means to further investigate abnormal behavior and call it out for what it is : a disorder or disease/illness. It's like saying that someone has a serious physical illness, and then realizing the need to go see a doctor for further diagnosis. He won't always give you a cure-all standard antibiotic based on the prognosis. Sometimes he will run tests and figure out which specific strain is causing the illness, and how best to approach it. It would be pointless to give antibiotics to someone with a viral infection now, don't you agree? The first thing that must be admitted is that there's an illness with a certain set of symptoms. It's the exact same thing here.

The labels are certainly needed. It's not the problem. The problem is the ignorance in treated anyone with a certain illness unreasonably different. The whole point of treating illnesses is to get well, not to beat the child down.

Many here realize that kids are over medicated. Duh! That doesn't mean that some people don't need to be helped, and labeling is a means to identify the root problem. You gotta start somewhere, so why not with a broad category of illness, then work to narrow down the exact cause or at least the most appropriate treatment option?

[edit on 23-8-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   

We did!!!!! How could you have missed that?

I have a new disease classification. Hyperbolimia and I can provide ample evidence of a catastrophic epidemic here on ATS.

And ole Doc Whaaa prescribes a couple of Corona's and a little time out or else there could be further complications known as snarkyitis.

[edit on 23-8-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
reply to post by Annee

Usually kids grow out of this since by the time their 21 the brain is fully developed, so there is a proper balance between these areas of the brain.

There can be dysfunction or damage. If actual damage - you will probably have an adult ADD/ADHD.

My pediatrician told me - there is only ONE thing of importance. That is the child's self esteem. He told me if the school tried to put my daughter in a special class - - I should remove her from school and teach her at home. Fortunately - - a program came to her school specific for her needs -- she went to a trailer for reading and math - - then mainstreamed back into her regular class. Rather then treating her badly - the other kids were jealous. So they arranged for regular kids to visit the trailer too.

Children do not want to fail. They do not want to feel different then the other kids. If medicine helps them fit in - - that is good.

But - like I said in an earlier post. Her doctor did not allow kids to be medicated at home. And he did a 6 months on - 6 months off - - to see if the child could take more responsibility for themselves without meds or reduced dosage.

He actually told me: "I don't care if you have to turn your home into a padded cell - - NO MEDS AT HOME.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by mr.eccentric

In order for these disorders to be fabrications the entirety of clinical psychology, cognitive neuroscience, psychiatry, psychopharmacology, etc. would need to be in on it. These disorders don't just come out of no where. They are founded on years of research, both lab work and case studies. There are entire peer-reviewed journals dedicated to the research of psychopathology, psychotherapy, and the effectiveness of proposed treatments. It is this kind of research that the APA looks to when they are working on a new edition of the DSM and it is this research that professionals look to when they are seeking out the most effective treatment for their patients.

People like to bash medication on this site, but all research I have seen says they are as effective, if not more effective than psychotherapy. Used in tandem the results are astounding and can lead to long term remission. Unfortunately, most people take the easy way out and simply rely on medication when they are not designed to be used long term. Just like any medication, the longer you take it the more likely you are to experience side effects and the more drastic they will be. It's not psychiatry or the pharmaceutical company that are causing problems. It's people who would rather pop a pill for the rest of their life than actually look inwards and try to fix their problem behaviors.

new topics

top topics

<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join