It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate bill makes it illegal to grow, share, trade or sell homegrown food.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I doubt anyone will be using that chef/catering company again, which proves my point. Then again, maybe not. The world I live in is different from a lot of others. I know my neighbors, trust them, barter with them. I know the guy who sells me food (store and roadside) when I go to a restaurant, I know the owners. Maybe that's where I am right or wrong in my feelings about a government agency telling me what is safe and what is not. It's my personal responsibility to ensure Doug stays away from the tomato salad as I store them with nuts, or to keep the peanuts separate from everything else.

My world is small,local, and very organic/heirloom. We take care of ourselves and watch out for each other. Don't need a government body inspecting us to give us a piece of paper. Maybe the rest of the world can't trust each other, but we do, so keep your laws, you're over site, and your fear. We will be fine if left alone.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Market gardening is an essential economic life line for the US, and it always has been. Whenever times are tough, it takes off. When your buying power is weak and food prices are very high, why not grow food? It's easy. Now the high price of food can help you.

The Chinese do it; Beijing already gets most of it's produce from within the city limits.

New Jersey is the Garden State. Guess why?

The UK relied heavily on it during WWII. They called them 'Victory Gardens.' Montgomery even named his 'masterpiece' (didn't turn out that way though) "Operation Market Garden."

Market gardening is fundamentally economically strong.

Originally posted by nixie_nox
If you are allergic to peanuts, you should be able to buy a tomato salad without concern.

So you can find at least one case of a market gardener who managed to contaminate one or more of their crops with their peanut crop? Or not?

You can even just ask one the family farmers if they also grow peanuts. They are right there selling their crop to you.

Ordinary legal liability already acts a massive way to discourage this sort of thing. A family is personally liable and would lose everything. A corporation can make mistakes and let the insurance pay out or cut some checks if it ever catches up with them and resume business as usual.

And honestly, I don't think you know much about market gardening. Chances are, if somebody is growing peanuts for market on a market gardening scale, they are only growing peanuts. I don't think the economics would make any sense for growing a small patch of peanuts though. It's more like a small farm scale sort of thing.

Originally posted by nixie_nox
[icky hands talk etc]

So if this goes on in permitted establishments, imagine what goes on in non-permitted ones?

Actually, you can expect much higher standards from family run operations because they are all stakeholders. It's the large scale corporate run operations that hire minimum and sub minimum wage workers who just don't give a damn and can't be expected to.

For example, the US currently protects Florida's tomato industry against Canada's (Ontario's). Ontario's operations are family run greenhouses. Florida's are your typical corporate operations staffed by illegals.

The Canadians are able to take advantage of all that free Canadian cold, which makes their refrigeration bills very low, reduces spoilage, and thus helps them to be competitive. Additionally, they avoid even more waste from being better able to control against losses from insects. They also don't have anywhere near the losses of rough/careless handling from the corporate/illegals method. And Ontario is closer to the North East US than Florida so shipping times are much better, lowering transport costs from both fuel/distance and waste that occurs during transport.

Ooops I haven't even mentioned how massive scale corporate monoculture causes huge losses from diseases. Even when the Canadians only grow one crop, it's just one or a few greenhouses. Each greenhouse is kind of like an isolation booth. It's not literally that perfect, but the whole system is so much more protected from disease than the massive monocultures.

Thus, the environmental impact is far, far superior for the Ontario greenhouses. Less waste = less overproduction = less fresh water and fertilizer used.

BTW, the Canadians have bathrooms with sinks in their houses which are nearby their back yard green houses.

Do you think the illegal pickers will bother to walk all the way to the port-a-potty, if their employer even provides one? I'm pretty sure I've never even seen a Mexican guy in a white t-shirt wash his hands before leaving a Wal-Mart bathroom.

Compared to your average market garden, you are risking your life when you buy food from 'big Agra.' Overall, it's not quite that bad of course, but the 'home grown' is hard to beat for quality, in general.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   
How many times is this going to go around ATS? It is a food protection act. To keep us from eating bad eggs and peanut butter and beef, you know the kinds of foods you keep hearing about on TV. The people have asked for better monitoring, so it has gone to vote, BTW that was in 2009, I promise everyone's garden is safe in the backyard, this is not about backyard gardening, it is about food that is sold to the general population.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by craig732

Originally posted by craig732
Government homepage for this bill.

The only scare tactics being used are by the OP and the website he got this from.

The headline "Senate bill makes it illegal to grow, share, trade or sell homegrown food" is absolutely false.

I challange anyone to find the wording in this bill that makes this headline true.

As no one will be able to answer my challenge, as there is nothing in the bill to support this headline, I appeal to the mods to change the misleading and false title of this thread.

[edit on 15-8-2010 by craig732]

I AM WRITING THIS IN ALL CAPS TO GET THE ATTENTION OF THE MODS, SINCE MY PREVIOUS APPEAL WAS IGNORED.

READ THE BILL. IT DOES NOT MAKE IT ILLEGAL TO GROW, SHARE, TRADE, OR SELL HOMEGROWN FOOD.

MODS: PLEASE ISSUE ME MY WARNING FOR USING ALL CAPS, THEN PLEASE CHANGE THE FALSE TITLE OF THIS THREAD.

HMM, USING ALL CAPS HAS NOT GOTTEN THE MODS' ATTENTION. MAYBE EXCESSIVE QUOTING WILL?

MAYBE I WILL JUST PULL THE PROFANITY CARD: SHlT !!!!!!!

NOW MODS PLEASE WARN ME FOR ALL CAPS, EXCESSIVE QUOTING, CIRCUMVENTING PROFANITY CENSORS, AND THEN PLEASE CHANGE THE FALSE TITLE OF THIS THREAD OR PUT IT IN THE HOAX CATEGORY!!!!!!! i WILL KEEP DOING THIS, AS ANNOYING AS IT IS, UNTIL SOMEONE REPORTS ME!!!

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by craig732

IF the FDA really wanted to ensure food safety, THEN the regulations listing infectious food-borne microbes would be updated to include ALL new and emerging infectious food-borne disease-causing microbes.

The current lists are out-of-date and dangerously incomplete, BUT any updates would make major food corporations liable for damages - and most likely, the already huge and still rising costs of the chronic disease pandemic.

FYI - chronic disease is now out-of-control worldwide:
Cancer Is World's Top 'Economic Killer,'
Chronic Disease to Kill 400 Million
Creating Disease: Pollution, Mutation, Adaptation and Evolution
"Bird Flu: Why Worry Now?"

This bill dodges the real issues, protects major corporations from liability and sets the stage for GM and GE industry takeover of the world's food production and distribution.

Wake up, smell the coffee.

[edit on 20-8-2010 by soficrow]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Something that I had not considered earlier is this bill may also put a stop to the small farmer, or fruit stand owner, who sets up a shack on the edger of there few acres to sell there fresh produce. A lot of people like to buy that way, and it is good for the farmer as they get a better price for there produce.
This kind of enforces what was said earlier, which is this bill will kill the little farmer so the big corps can get richer.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by wcitizen

I don't think this will ever be allowed to happen.... no one has the right to tell you what you can and can't grow in your garden!!!!

I'm pretty sure everyone of you will be seeking out Lawyers who are willing to take this one to court!

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Why have not people in their millions marched down to Washington and put a stop to this bill?? This does not just affect America, but the entire world!

Ending this bill in the USA will push it back and stop it from happening for now! If there is something like 2 or 3 million people in Washington, protesting about this bill, then they will know you are serious in stopping it!! Shout abuse to the senators and congress men, that if they pass this bill, they won't be passing by the protestors unscathed! By all means, be a peaceful demonstration, but also show that you mean business!

These evil Bastards want to commit mass Genocide! And by passing this bill, it will get them one step closer to that aim unless you stop them!

Who the hell are they to tell you the people that you cannot grow your own food to give it to friends or to sell it if you wanted to?

Stop them, or they shall stop you!

Please America! I beg you to do something to stop this bill!

Namaste!

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

Thanks for bringing a sane voice to this thread. Too many time the actual story is mangled into doom and gloom.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   

INDEED TO THE MAX.

Have read such puzzle pieces for months and hoped against hope they weren't true while knowing that the evil globalist greed etc. in charge was MORE THAN willing to pull such genocidal stunts.

May God flush them down the drain ASAP.

Incredible.

Who needs more evidence that brains have been taken over/compromised/atrophed/ . . . something!

Sheesh.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem
It is not just this bill that is to screw people, all bills that limit freedoms screw people. I do not doubt that the driving force behind this bill are the companies that will be able to profit from the increased food price as a result of fewer imports and increased control by forcing the smaller farmers out of the market.
It is also the single clause that will be the most damaging as well as the saving grace, which is why I at least read the summery review.

I don't agree. Based on your quote of the actual text of the bill, it sounds reasonable to certify producers of food that is sold. Without guidelines the chances of contaminated food being distributed increases. Many here, if poisoned by such contamination would be screaming for regulation.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Have you read the bill? It specifically states that it does not apply to residences. Too many sheep here that don't do their homework. Like lemmings headed towards a cliff following the OP......

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by wcitizen

Senate bill makes it illegal to grow, share, trade or sell homegrown food.

www.theworldsprophecy.com

S 510, the Food Safety Modernization Act of 2010, may be the most dangerous bill in the history of the US. It is to our food what the bailout was to our economy, only we can live without money.

“If accepted [S 510] would preclude the public’s right to grow, own, trade, transport, share, feed and eat each and every food that nature makes. It will become the most offensive authority against the cultivation, trade and consumption of food and agricultural products of one’s choice. It will be unconstitutional and contrary to natural law or, if you like, the will of God.” ~Dr. Shiv Ch
(visit the link for the full news article)

This is misleading. If you really want to think for yourselves, READ THE BILL!!

www.govtrack.us...

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Here is why I am not worried.

Name ANY federal law, gun control, immigration. Now show me the fed's ability to ENFORCE this law. We are talking about an entity that can't figure out that 700 miles of fence will not cover 2000 miles of border. An entity that keeps passing new laws rather than enforcing the ones we already have. There are laws on the books re: illegal immigration. How effective can they be at enforcing those if there are 13 MILLION here and more coming over every day? Local agencies can only "refer" the case to the feds, they can not prosecute it themselves....so, I'm thinking even if they make it illegal, who the heck is gonna do anything about it?

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mike.Ockizard

I don't agree. Based on your quote of the actual text of the bill, it sounds reasonable to certify producers of food that is sold. Without guidelines the chances of contaminated food being distributed increases. Many here, if poisoned by such contamination would be screaming for regulation.

Guidelines yes, but as things happen to go in the U.S., once the governments foot is in the door with guidelines everything just gets messed up with regulations and fees to generate revenue for what ever pet project some politician wants. Yes I am being cynical. I just do see this bill as being something that will make those who control the food richer by way making it harder for those who are not rich to get by.
I also remember a few out breaks of contaminated food. I do not remember people screaming for regulation. I do remember the government officials working to get the contaminated batch off the shelves and tracing it back to the source. That is what I remember from the network news and reading on line so its not a fact.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by RestingInPieces
.... Well, I can't say this is surprising. It's just another thread on ATS that really illustrates that people who think the world is going to end/the government is taking over are just gullible and live off of sensationalism.

People seem to crave doom. They latch onto this type of topic. No matter how many times you tell them to check the facts, they still won't.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem

Guidelines yes, but as things happen to go in the U.S., once the governments foot is in the door with guidelines everything just gets messed up with regulations and fees to generate revenue for what ever pet project some politician wants. Yes I am being cynical. I just do see this bill as being something that will make those who control the food richer by way making it harder for those who are not rich to get by.
I also remember a few out breaks of contaminated food. I do not remember people screaming for regulation. I do remember the government officials working to get the contaminated batch off the shelves and tracing it back to the source. That is what I remember from the network news and reading on line so its not a fact.

Sadly it's true IMO that The govt always seems to f things up. There are oceans of regulation and you need a lawyer to figure out what's legal and what's not. That said, we are in a conundrum. If you don't regulate then people in all their haste, laziness or greed will take shortcuts and endanger others. I stand corrected on the screaming for regulation comment. Instead I see people calling for the offenders to be punished.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by magusman

Did you read the bill or any of this thread? If so you would understand by now that the title of it is intentionally misleading and that backyard gardening is not part of it.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mike.Ockizard
reply to post by magusman

Did you read the bill or any of this thread? If so you would understand by now that the title of it is intentionally misleading and that backyard gardening is not part of it.

No one is reading all the posts in this thread. I have tried silly tactics to try to get the mods to change the misleading title of this thread. I wonder why they wont? It seems they like the fear mongering. Keeps their website going strong.

[edit on 4-9-2010 by craig732]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Mike.Ockizard

In any complex society it seems greed will always be playing its pare, as unfortunate as that may be.
As to the back yard garden no that does not seem to be affected, unfortunately what I do fear is that the road side fruit and vegetable stand from the small farmer, one who say has maby one to five acres, will be affected. So what I fear from this is an end to the road side fruit and vegetable stand.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join