It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Bird Flu and Beyond: Chronic Disease to Kill 400 Million

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Unsafe water, air pollution, soil pollution, pesticides, hazardous waste, and chemicals in food are causing chronic disease, killing people, and preventing economic development, reports the World Bank. Climate change also is causing chronic disease and millions of deaths in poor regions, the report states. The World Health Organisation (WHO) estimates that 388 million people in the world will die from chronic disease in the next 10 years.

www.smh.com.au
....the World Bank says almost a fifth of all ill health in poor countries and millions of deaths can be attributed to environmental factors, including climate change and pollution. ...unsafe water, poor sanitation and hygiene, and air pollution are all said to be killing people and preventing economic development, the bank says. ....Increasing soil pollution, pesticides, hazardous waste and chemicals in food are also significantly affecting health and economies, the bank says.

..."We estimate that 388 million people in the world are expected to die from chronic diseases … in the next 10 years, and everywhere the poor are the hardest hit." ...Eighty per cent of chronic illnesses such as heart disease, stroke, cancer and diabetes were in low- to middle-income nations, contrary to the popular belief that these diseases largely afflict people in wealthy countries, a World Health Organisation report says. ..."We can stop this global epidemic of chronic diseases if we take preventative action now," said Dr Robert Beaglehole, the organisation's Chronic Diseases and Health Promotion director.

WHO Report: Preventing Chronic Diseases: a vital investment

World Bank: Environment Matters: Annual Review, 2005

World Bank: Burden Of Disease Increased By Environmental Degradation

WHO 2002: Integrated chronic disease prevention and control

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Information about chronic disease in the USA is noticeably absent in both the World Bank and WHO reports.

For the record: The top 5 chronic diseases - heart disease, cancer, stroke, COPD, and diabetes - cause more than two-thirds of all deaths in the USA. More than 90 million Americans are diagnosed with chronic disease. Over 45.8 million Americans have no medical insurance, and thus, no diagnosis or treatment.
Chronic Disease
Insuring Yourself

Note: The opposite of chronic is "acute," meaning disease that comes on quickly and often does not last long - if it lasts, it is "chronic."

People with chronic disease are more susceptible to complications and death from flu. "You're especially at risk if you are an older adult, have diabetes, chronic heart or lung disease, or an impaired immune system."
Source
Also see: www.niaid.nih.gov...

At the same time, the flu has long term impacts in survivors:

"This paper studies the long-term impact of the fall 1918 Influenza Pandemic. In the 1960-1980 Decennial U.S. Census data, cohorts in utero during the height of the Pandemic typically display reduced educational attainment, increased rates of physical disability, lower income, lower socioeconomic status, as well as accelerated adult mortality compared with other birth cohorts. In addition, persons born in states with more severe exposure to the Pandemic experienced worse outcomes than those born in states with less severe Pandemic exposures. These results demonstrate that investments aimed at improving fetal health can have substantial long-term effects on subsequent health and economic outcomes."
pdf. Is the 1918 Influenza Pandemic Over? Long-term Effects of In Utero Influenza Exposure in the Post-1940 U.S. Population. July 2005

Also see:
Smith CB, Kanner RE, Golden CA, Klauber MR, Renzetti AD Jr. Effect of viral infections on pulmonary function in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases. J Infect Dis. 1980 Mar;141(3):271-80. PMID: 6767794
Med J Aust. 1974 Nov 30;2(22):812-4. Short and long term effects of influenza a on lung function. Ledder SR, Gill PW, Peat JK. PMID: 4456153
Johanson WG Jr, Pierce AK, Sanford JP. Pulmonary function in uncomplicated influenza. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1969 Aug;100(2):141-6. PMID: 5805258

Horner GJ, Gray FD Jr. Effect of uncomplicated, presumptive influenza on the diffusing capacity of the lung. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1973 Oct;108(4):866-9. PMID: 4741881
Gelb AF, Gold WM, Wright RR, Bruch HR, Nadel JA. Physiologic diagnosis of subclinical emphysema. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1973 Jan;107(1):50-63. PMID: 4683321
Ketiladze DI, Kniazeva LD. Pathogenesis of respiratory insufficiency in influenza. Sov Med. 1975 Nov;(11):20-4. Russian. PMID: 1221521
Rudenko AA. Bioelectric activity of the brain in influenza patients with manifest neurologic syndromes. Vrach Delo. 1976 Jul;(7):143-7. Russian. PMID: 997454
Muravskaia LV. Characteristics of functional disorders of the nervous system in influenza. Vrach Delo. 1976 Feb;(2):131-4. Russian. PMID: 1266137

pregnant women's risk for influenza-related morbidity and mortality increases during the last two trimesters (123)
persons at high risk for experiencing complications from influenza infection (e.g., immunocompromised patients; patients with asthma, cystic fibrosis, or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease; or persons aged >65 years)
CDC: Prevention and Control of Influenza

Chronic disease results from pollution and industrial contamination, working in combination with very slowly progressive prion diseases.
Infectious prions use the immune system to spread in the body,
and spread more rapidly when the body is fighting infection - so most people who survive bird flu will suffer increasingly debilitating chronic disease.

The most common prion-related diseases result from underlying infection with "a-smooth muscle actin" (ASMA); the stage where ASMA uses the vascular and immune systems to spread through the body is called "fibromuscular dysplasia" (FMD). Nearly 100% of Americans are infected with FMD/ASMA by adulthood. See here

The bird flu story is big. Very big. Like an iceberg.

WHO: Chronic Disease May Kill 400M by 2015

www.hindustantimes.com...

Plea for action on chronic diseases

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
This story died back in 2005. But it's even more relevant now, and does relate to a recent Breaking News story from Doctor G, titled 2.5 mil. dead in US, who needs terrorists. ...And it's worth reading - especially the references.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Here is my 40-year anecdotal view of changes, in So Cal.
Cancer-rampant now, seems everyone knows someone who recently had it or has it. Diabetes, everywhere, I feel so lucky when I talk to all these folks who pop out and say they have diabetes. Heart disease, rich and poor. Asthma, ballooned to all ages, etc. Even Pulmonary fibrosis is not rare anymore. Many are dying young, IMO.
And with the worldwide organ trading scandals, I must ask-why the sudden demand for kidneys? Kidneys used to last a lifetime. As far as I see, people are not living longer, compared to 20 years ago, they are going too quick! I mean seriously, I started in elder care 30 years ago, and my clients were old, but not all sick ! Many were in their 90s, and quite a few over 100. But they were not filled with disease, they just wore out; for example, only had 2 diabetic pts. out of 175.
Tylenol and NSAIDS destroy kidney and liver and heart, perhaps this is a factor? Kids and adults pop tylenol like aspirin, but it is not aspirin. Just search "nsaid liver kidney," it causes toxicity, kills the organs, but then why are all my neighbors terrified of aspirin which has been around for more than 100 years? If one more person says "do you want a tylenol?" i will go bonkers! I take aspirin often, and have not had an ulcer from it, etc.
I can't even talk about the spray, as I get very angry now that it is out in MSM, yet continues. Lungs and asthma?
GMO? Proven to cause illness.
If we had access to true unvarnished stats, I would bet they would show more are dying younger, and I will certainly wager that the trend will continue. Love to all.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by CestLaVie
.....If we had access to true unvarnished stats, I would bet they would show more are dying younger, and I will certainly wager that the trend will continue. Love to all.

Yep. And it all has to do with underlying latent infections being reactivated by triggers like GMO exposure, flu infection, more.

...Watched "Erin Brockovitch" again the other day. The lawyer's complaint that lawsuits are hard to prove because corporations blame "Bad diet; bad genes, and irresponsible lifestyles" for everyone's ills really hit home.

That 'legal complaint' now describes most public health policy.

Truth is, we might have half a chance of beating the contamination in our water, food, air, consumer products and everything else if we're really really careful and live on a mountain top and never participate in modern life. Maybe. So much for "bad diet and irresponsible lifestyles."

Don't get me started on "bad genes." Fact is, all the chronic diseases from asthma and cancer and diabetes to heart disease and stroke have jumped from almost non-existent to pandemic in our generation. ...If these diseases really are genetic, then they came from the same busy international travelling guy. Unlikely.

....Fact is, these so-called "genetic diseases" are actually infectious, and are transmitted genetically. Big difference.

Search: +sporadic +familial +"acquired by infection" OR infectious +conformational

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Well, my view is that this goes a bit beyond politics, and into the realm of a natural necessity. If politicians got their head out of their asses, and actually did some things to help curb chronic illnesses in the short term, it would only come to bite us in the ass later on. We're too many people, causing too much harm to gaia right now.

Speaking of gaia, here's the brilliant scientist that first theorized this concept (gaia) . He's speaking of the inevitability of mass population reduction throughout this century. Simply put: We're entering the storm of the millennium.

[edit on 17-4-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Genes don't work in a vacuum. They are constantly interacting with their environment. What we intake, via food, water, & air are causing epigenetic fluctuations on a continuous basis; thus, they can still be the result of genetic succeptabilites.

It's not merely: you got bad genes!

It's: You're not feeding your genetic weaknesses properly, fool!

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Please, read my post just above yours.

I really do like Lovelock's early work, and think the Gaia principle is dead on as far as it goes. But. IMO - Lovelock is unfortunately specialized, and fundamentally a culture-bound chauvinist and eugenicist. Was VERY disappointed with his latest book.

...His thinking doesn't consider or in any way accommodate any new biology - not genetic manipulation, nada - nor the impact of 'new' industry on simple or complex organisms, and thus systems. Major flaw.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions

Genes don't work in a vacuum. They are constantly interacting with their environment. What we intake, via food, water, & air are causing epigenetic fluctuations on a continuous basis; thus, they can still be the result of genetic succeptabilites.

Right. And my point takes the situation further - it is now virtually impossible to feed or protect one's genetic weaknesses "properly" in our totally contaminated world.

BTW - you begged the issue of chronic disease being infectious, and transmitted genetically.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

Right. And my point takes the situation further - it is now virtually impossible to feed or protect one's genetic weaknesses "properly" in our totally contaminated world.

Agreed, but we can still lessen the damage to some extent from basic common sense practices.

BTW - you begged the issue of chronic disease being infectious, and transmitted genetically.

I honestly can't understand what this means, sorry. What does it mean to beg an issue? Do you mean that what I wrote falls in line with your reasoning of chronic disease being infectious, and transmitted genetically? If so, how so? What I wrote states that chronic disease is not just transmitted genetically, but also epigenetically through the environment.

When you say transmitted genetically, are you referring to the act of swapping out genes, or genetic mutations, or what? I'm getting confused on the wordings...my bad. A little hungover today and only a few hours of sleep.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

Genes don't work in a vacuum. ...

Agreed, but we can still lessen the damage to some extent from basic common sense practices.

Granted, but only to a limited extent. And there's a HUGE difference between blaming the victims and saying, "It's your own fault so you're on your own," and saying, "There is hope and you do have some power."

I honestly can't understand what this means, sorry. What does it mean to beg an issue?

To avoid answering the question or addressing the issue.

Do you mean that what I wrote falls in line with your reasoning of chronic disease being infectious, and transmitted genetically?

No.

...What I wrote states that chronic disease is not just transmitted genetically, but also epigenetically through the environment.

Epigenetics involves triggering or reactivation, not transmission. You're right, epigenetics is very important, but indirectly "causal" - infectious disease is different in that it's more directly causal. Also, some infectious diseases can be transmitted in the womb, and sometimes, infectious diseases alter the genetic code - differently from causing mutations ... all these disease "causes" are included in the term "familial."

When you say transmitted genetically, are you referring to the act of swapping out genes, or genetic mutations, or what? I'm getting confused on the wordings...my bad. A little hungover today and only a few hours of sleep.

A little-known well-hidden fact is that many infectious diseases (not just AIDS) are transmitted genetically.

...Again - search +sporadic +familial +"acquired by infection" OR infectious +conformational

...It's all good. ...

new topics

top topics

join