It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could the U.S successfully invade Mexico?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

Think about it.

What would we really gain? The toll on our already dismal appearance would be no where near what we gain from Mexico!

We aren't an imperial nation anymore, hardly anyone is. And attacking a large, civilized country like Mexico would inspire conflict from other nations. Against Us.

I'm sure we could do it if we went in, no holds barred. That is not to insult the Mexican military. But they can't even control the drug cartels.

I mean the portions of the military there that aren't on the cartel payroll.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by warpcrafter

Doubtful. Some of those folks will run away like deer once they find out just how well-armed the cartels are!

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I think some of the folks have answered your question.

The invasion of both Iraq and Afghanistan proved that the U.S war pigs have no problem with sending troops off to die in a 3rd world country. Why not just do it in their own backyard?

Who said that I had to take sides? I just wanted to see what the general consensus is on this topic.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Could we successfully invade Mexico? Of course, we have the means, and far superior weaponry and structure of military. However, it has been proven that unless the people of this country are united in a cause for war then it will ultimately end up a bungled mess. Examples...afghanistan, vietnam, iraq. Too much politics involved. If it were just up to the military and soldiers we could be quite viciously successful. But an invasion into mexico would probably lead to a civil war in our own country in my opinion. There would be too many Mexican civilians caught in the crossfire. It would be very ugly. I think a better answer is militarizing our border. Give the military jurisdiction along the border. Not federal agents and not the national guard. But the real military.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
How can you all be so bloody evil? What gives Americans the right to go in and take over a country just because they think they need more land? Sure, Mexicans have it rough down there, but surely it's not going to help them out by removing their country from the face of the Earth and making it part of the U.S. All the years they've been there... for what? So the great and powerful U.S.A. can come in and destroy the place? I can't believe how sadistic some of you are. Besides, it would only bring problems, HUGE civil war, Mexicans vs U.S.A. Plus the drug cartels would cause some serious damage, and then, in the eyes of the world, your the biggest assholes on the planet. Grats. And somebody mentioned invading CANADA??? Wtf have they done? They are you're biggest trading partner and your greatest ally, and from what I see on this forum, people couldn't care less. And also... remember the last time you tried that... you were kicked out, and your White House was burnt to the ground. The Canadians (or Brits if you want to call them. Canada wasn't officially a country yet at the time, but they were Canadian ancestors) didn't have much troops left to defend the place. Everyone was fighting a war against Napoleon at the time... And you still got your asses kicked. And I'm sure history will repeat itself if you try again. Why? Heres a list of reasons why this would most likely be a terrible idea. I'm not saying 100% of it would happen, but it is very possible. So here you go, 10 reasons why this would be just another epic fail like 1812 and Vietnam... and 2 fake reasons that are just meant as jokes. It's not that I hate you guys, it's the ignorant, arrogant, retards who think they can rule the world because they have a ton of bombs, and seem to have the understanding that no life exists beyond their happy little bubble, except for a bunch of land to take and places to blow up when they're mad. This attitude, my friends, will be the end of the United States of America as we know it. Think it's funny? What's the worlds population at... nearing 10 billion I'm sure... vs ... 300 million. Still think there's some kind of chance? Well then you are a complete idiot...

#1. Obviously the fight wouldn't be taken to the prairies, they'd do as much fighting as they could in the rockies, and the Americans don't really have a great history with those kind of conditions. Example: Vietnam.

#2. Canadian troops are one of the best, if not THE best trained soldiers in the world. The Americans may have a big army and great technology, but their training...in all honesty... kinda sucks. Example: Vimy Ridge. The Brits couldn't take it, the French couldn't take it, the AMERICANS couldn't take it, then the Canadians marched in there alone and conquered it in 3 days, which broke the border into Germany. Another example: Have the Americans ever won a war game against them? Sure as hell doesn't seem like it.

#3. Nobody would help the U.S, everybody would be rushing over to burn America to the ground. Need proof? Example: Canada is part of the British Commonwealth. That alone could give anyone a serious ass kicking. 30% of the worlds population. Right there. Another example: You think NATO is going to stand aside while one of it's members attacks another? No. Every other country is going to, again, come kick the ass of the aggressor. If I remember correctly... what is that? 26 nations?...27?...28?
Another example: You think Russia is going to pass up a chance like this to bomb the U.S. to glass? lol. Sure, they have financial issues right now, but they aren't going to watch as the U.S. is destroyed, they're going to join in.
Another example: China sure as hell seems to like Canada more than the U.S., plus the U.S. owes them trillions, they're getting pretty pissed.
Another thing: I'm sure more countries than that are probably going to help out. And who will help the U.S.? Hmmm... let me think... hows your relations with Mexico?...

#4. The middle-east and a crap load of terrorists aren't going to pass up this opportunity. First chance they get, they're going to come singing and dancing right up to major U.S. cities, strapping bombs to their chests and blowing up anything the looks big and important. Like the White House (assuming the Canadians didn't get their already and let history repeat itself. kumbaya...)

#5. McDonalds. Yeah, they're actually a factor. Why? Well what has it hit now... 85% of the American population overweight? Obviously they're going to be drafting, and if 85% of the population can't run 50 yards without having a heart attack, your sooooooo screwed.

#6. The people that were against it from the start, or the ones that have finally seen the consequences to their actions, could quite possible retaliate against their own nation. Not everybody is going to want to attack their GREATEST ALLY, and there would most likely be some kind of tiny civil wars brewing up all over the country, eating the U.S. from the inside out. And a lot of soldiers would desert, not wanting to fight all their allies, or because they would crap their pants and run (I don't mean this to insult your soldiers, I'm just saying that there will always be some that will chicken out when it comes to almost certain death).

#7. This is kind of a funny one... but honestly, if this happened, I know I would grab a gun and prepare for attack, if I couldn't join the military for some reason...... Canadian farmers in the prairies are usually taught how to operate firearms around the age of six, and no I don't mean paintball and pellet guns... Any farmer worth their own weight can shoot a gopher in the eye from at the very LEAST 50 yards away. Trust me, some of us are basically snipers in dusty clothes... If they can't fight as a soldier, they're going to fight any way they can, and will shoot anything that moves. No offence, but I don't know anybody that would rather live and American than die a Canadian.

#8. The U.S. is far enough in an economic hole as it is. Yet, they keep borrowing trillions from China that they never pay back, and buy resources from Canada that they use to pollute the rest of the world (No offense...but it's kinda true). They can't fund a war like this... what are they gonna do? Ask China for more money? Hu Jintao will personally walk over and shoot Obama in the forehead...

#9. 65% of U.S. oil is supplied by Canada. Canada also supplies tons of other resources that the U.S. can't live without. Canada could would obviously cut off all of the U.S. resources and take it for itself.

#10. Your government (I think we can all agree on this one) is made up of some of the most idiotic people in your country it would seem. Not to mention your American version of Hitler... come on, BUSH?!?! Are you serious? Need I say it again? BUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSHHHH!?!?!!? But yes I know he no longer runs the country... thank god.

And now the joke ones... Really not that funny but... meh. I am serious about the consequences, but I dont seriously want any of this to happen. And if any of you do, then I think the Taliban and Al Quada are hiring some truck drivers. Ring 'em up.

#11. Maybe some people will fight harder, because of hatred for the terrible rap and pop music coming from the States? (Kidding... I myself just hate it though... but, then again, we did unleash Celine Dion and Justin Bieber upon the world, thats enough to bring a nation to it's knees alone, isn't it?)

#12. We have canadian bacon (NO ITS NOT THE SAME AS HAM), the majestic moose, hockey players, maple syrup, and beavers. Do not mess with any of them... or we'll have to tell Bieber to release another album... *shudders*

Seriously though, if you think its right just to walk in and start capturing any country you want, killing millions, and destroying the lives of everyone who were once thought your allies, then you are no better than Hitler himself. Honestly. What do you think WW2 was about? Look what happened to Germany, the Soviets marched in, destroyed the entire country, killed every German they found, raped every woman they saw, and then planted their flag on top of the Reichstag. Some Americans are becoming exactly what their soldiers fought and DIED for during those years. Is this what they would have wanted? To have their sons and daughters end up as tyrants, taking other nations as they see fit, killing anyone they damn well please, and destroying the lives of millions and millions of people to feed their hunger for domination? DON'T tell me you didn't plan to hurt anyone. That is not how this would end. And DON'T tell me your right in thinking that taking over an innocent country is "A great idea". It will only result in pain, suffering, death, and you inevitable defeat. And what will be left of your "American Empire?" It will quite possibly receive the same fate as the "superpowers" before it, the Germans being the lucky exception. Gone. A story taught in history class...

I am sorry for being so aggressive on you, but people have to wake up. I know not all Americans are like that, and I truly think most of you are great, friendly neighbors. But the power is going to everyone's heads, and we all know what good that all does in the end.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Why are you resurrecting this thread?

And just because you asked, it was just a question, NOT a call to action.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
American culture revolves around the protestant faith. Imagine the influx of catholics all at once, the ghost of Bolivar would be pleased...

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Yeah, sorry for that. I was tired and pissed. I'm also new to the site. But still, you ask a question, and I answered it
(Kinda in a bitchy way I admit... but still you must see what understand what I meant?). Besides, I have two friends that are Mexican. They spent half their life in Mexico, moved to the States, and then moved up to Canada. No offense, but... lets just say they didn't like the States very much. Not all of them would like to be American. Just my opinion on it all, sorry.

No need to reply, this is my last post on this thread :/.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I lived for a period of time in Mexico many years ago.

The issue was not so much about the U.S. invading Mexico, but a different approach which would accomplish the same thing.

Among the "locals" a comment was frequently made, in a seemingly wistful way, that the only solution for Mexico would be for them to declare war on the United States, say, at 9 a.m. some given day, then surrender at 9:15 a.m. the same day. As was the case with post-war Germany and Japan, Mexico would be occupied, rebuilt, and (hopefully) become another state (or group of states), even a territory along with Puerto Rico or Guam or American Samoa. Then there would not be a need for a border and all the complexities that go along with it.

But that was 35 years ago.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

I don't think it would be very nice to Invade Mexico. But The ATF just got Busted for Shipping guns to the Drug cartels in Mexico. Operation Fast and furious.. The question is not IF or WILL America Invade now.. Its When.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by gunshooter
To answer your question, could the US invade mexico........
Yes our military could do it with ease, that is if we werent tied up with Iraq, or Afgan. Most certainly it could be accomplished. With our technology, and firepower, it would be over fairly quickly. We could also hold it forever if we were going in to occupy it too.
Umm.. America still has a few million extra troops in active state in america.. And 3.5million in reserve.. Tied up? Nah.. Haarp could clean any country..

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
With all of Mexico's problems,why would we want to? look at the American South,Southwest and West. Mexico is pretty much already here

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
It would cost us more to take over that country than they have to offer. Rebuilding the infrastructure alone would be such a massive cost I hate to think of it.

Unless the government would take over the drug trade to offset the associated costs it would not be worth it.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Taking over the Drug Cartels would be one way of ending the US debt problems!

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Well considering we already once kicked their ass during the mexican American war, and with the advancement of our technology, and the lack thereof on their part....we'd be in and out in a day.

Wouldn't mind traveling there after the fact....I hear can cun is great this time of year.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

As to the question posed by your thread title, why would we want to? Invading a country wouldn't put an end to our illegal immigration problem. It would just give us a whole new set of problems that we can't afford and don't want/need.

On the contrary, if any invasion were to happen, a complete eradication for our own gain would eliminate the immigration problem all together. But the only problem is, there would be those who wish to decry " humanitarian " non-sense, which has been the prime culprit as to why our country hasn't officially won a war since WW2.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRealm

I think We would have a huge problem with Drug Cartels funding Rebels in Mexico,like the Cartels do in Columbia

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Yes the US could...

The operation would/ is easier then you imagine...

The main issue is politic control..... hand out the prizes carefully... do not allow interference in the operation....

The goal is control of our southern boarders .... The southern border of Mexico is cheaper and easier to defend then the current boarder...

The drug dealers under current tax laws also owe the IRS billions of dollars.... (UNPAID tarriffs, unpaid business taxes, unpaid employee taxes, ect)

Then the safety of the southern states is in danger...

The problem is that the current leadership does not have the ability to do this properly.... If handled properly it will be as simple as Hawaii

Long term it is cheaper to make them US states then it is to keep sending aid...

I have thought about this awhile and it can be done but not with the current shape of the military... Fix the us war machine then we can actively protect ourselves....

In fact I have to say a few more things but it will not be allowed here due to T and C

And for the record I intend to use a very liberal view to justify conservative actions

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by TennesseeFan

I think We would have a huge problem with Drug Cartels funding Rebels in Mexico,like the Cartels do in Columbia

You cant honestly believe that some unorganized drug thugs and the unorganized rebels would actually stand a chance do you. Look what happen in the first American mexican war?

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

I'm thinking of Our current situation with Partisans in Iraq and Afghanistan

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join