It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadians overly sensitive, Brits warned

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

That's the really nice thing up here about having so much unpopulated land mass. Yeah, it gets really cold in the winter, but when it's that cold, the roads are too cold to be slippery. I lived along the border most of my life, until 5 years ago. Never felt this much cold before, I'm still trying to embrace that
but the land is so beautiful, we're moving even a bit further north next year.

Lots of hunting and fishing, and as long as all your licenses are kept up to date, and pay attention to the rules, survival is easy. Just need the down-filled jacket and boots designed for -50 weather. And a good strong 4 wheel drive truck, and a snowmobile. And lots of firewood.

Most of our fellow Canadians don't even want to be in the north, or in the prairies because of the cold.

We're turning this into a food thread
No one can accuse a Cdn of being overly sensitive about what we eat, for sure, we can turn anything into a very tasty dish.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Early on, someone had posted that the Canadian thread is going to take over ATS threads, well i guess its kinda of happened. Well tonight i might ring the show and protest on how the Canadians eat beaver tails
and bear claws

So as far as the article reads way way back in the beginning as the op, i guess the Canadians are that sensitive after all, well i guess for the hockey they might be.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I live in Winnipeg (aka Winterpeg). Summer doesn't last long enough here. Our cold winters breed some good local musicians though and we have a pretty decent music scene with lots of touring bands coming through from the USA. Never met an American in real life that I didn't like. Music is one thing that unites people all around the world. The only real thing that separates our 2 countries is politics, other than that I find more similarities than differences.

When I was backpacking in Brazil a few years ago a lot of people would ask me if I was American or Canadian. When I said Canadian they'd embrace me with open arms. Majority of people I met there weren't very fond of Americans for some reason. I also met a lot of Americans on my journeys who did have a Canadian flag sewn on their backpacks.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
ah, i remember once having a conversation with a canadian producer, he told me that i didnt sound english, heres how the convo went:

canadian = c me = m

c - you dont sound english.
m - thats because im welsh.
c - aha, all the same thing.
m - of course it is, just like your an american.
c - ah, forget i mentioned it.

example over!

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

well lady you will be welcome n canada as...it is where all the confederates ran to,
It is where all the slaves ran to.
It is where all the vietnam draft dodgers ran to.

we have lots and lots of room.
we have great beer.
we have rock and trees.
we have free medical.
we have fresh air.
and the most fresh water in the world.....

So what the hell am i doing living in Britain now getting mistaken for an American.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I have no problem with Canadians coming to my country. At least they follow the rules and go back home when they're done unlike our neigbors to the south.

[edit on 14-8-2010 by wantsome]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by plube
well lady you will be welcome n canada as...it is where all the confederates ran to,
It is where all the slaves ran to.
It is where all the vietnam draft dodgers ran to.

we have lots and lots of room.
we have great beer.
we have rock and trees.
we have free medical.
we have fresh air.
and the most fresh water in the world.....

So what the hell am i doing living in Britain now getting mistaken for an American.

Just wanted to say, that your points does make one think.

p.s. You haven't mentioned the woman there, i find that they are extremely attractive, then again, that is only my opinion.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

I support the hunting of beaver tails and bear claws. More the beaver tails mm mm good, Bear claws not so much of a fan. I'd like to see Canadians take over ATS... All Canadians unite tis our time to take over the world and force you all to eat poutine, maple salmon, bear claws and beaver tails!!! Oh and well apologize and say sorry, always polite us Canadians we will even bring you cookies.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
My family is British. We had members try and escape to Canada after WWII. And they still sound Scouse to this day. britannia rules the waves. But they all still scousers

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bumface Jones
My family is British. We had members try and escape to Canada after WWII. And they still sound Scouse to this day. britannia rules the waves. But they all still scousers

I would and many would greatly appreciate your interaction in expanding your post.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xiamara
...us Canadians we will even bring you cookies.

Mind you, they'll be the maple flavoured Girl Guide ones.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Unless you're a linguist with an acute ear for accents, there's bound to be some misunderstandings.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
reply to post by Skippy1138

You inspired me:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

You DO know I was just kidding around, right Intrepid?

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I am sure Americans would be just as offended if they were mistaken for Canadians.

Also while I was in Australia and an Aussie would ask me if I was American and I'd say no I am not I am Canadian, and they would say same difference, I'd counter with well what if I said you're the same as someone from New Zealand. They didn't take to kindly to that.

Everyone is sensitive of what country they are from and doesn't want to be mistaken for another one, like people saying Japan/China same thing. They are completely different cultures with completely different histories and people.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by anthbes
I am sure Americans would be just as offended if they were mistaken for Canadians.

Also while I was in Australia and an Aussie would ask me if I was American and I'd say no I am not I am Canadian, and they would say same difference, I'd counter with well what if I said you're the same as someone from New Zealand. They didn't take to kindly to that.

Sadly the majority are so manipulated by television that they assume anyone with a stretched accent is American. Simply goes to show the extent of intrusion on all aspects of stupidity.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 03:23 AM
link   

He is correct. We have our own identity. We are not Americans. We are as similar as we are different. Calling a Canuck an American will likely get your face pushed back a few inches. May seem silly but that's the way we are.

canadians are sensitive people indeed. they would break down and cry in time of despair. they're weak and have not endured much, or anything for that matter. they have not been through wars, no catastrophe. nothing ever happens in canada. their lives are pretty bland, dull, and useless with no identity.

they wouldn't hurt a fly, not that they could. the world view them as a lil brat seeking attention, fortunately, receiving none. if the whole country suddenly disappear off the face of the earth tomorrow, nobody would even notice. as a result, when there is a chance for attention, they seize it.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by DOADOA

He is correct. We have our own identity. We are not Americans. We are as similar as we are different. Calling a Canuck an American will likely get your face pushed back a few inches. May seem silly but that's the way we are.

canadians are sensitive people indeed. they would break down and cry in time of despair. they're weak and have not endured much, or anything for that matter. they have not been through wars, no catastrophe. nothing ever happens in canada. their lives are pretty bland, dull, and useless with no identity.

they wouldn't hurt a fly, not that they could. the world view them as a lil brat seeking attention, fortunately, receiving none. if the whole country suddenly disappear off the face of the earth tomorrow, nobody would even notice. as a result, when there is a chance for attention, they seize it.

Oh dear.
Well, there was the Dieppe raid in August 1942, which was enough of a catastrophe for anyone. During that slaughter, the Canadians fought with such bravery, that their exploits were detailed in a report of the raid sent to Hitler.

Then there was Juno Beach (there very own landing beach) that was a quiet little affair wasn't it.

And lets not forget the Canadian Navy's convoy protection duties in the North Atlantic.

More recently I understand their tree hugging credentials took a further blow, thanks to the performance of their troops in Afghanistan.

All wars they could have justifiably ignored. As an Englishman I'm very grateful they didn't.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   
In my experience Canadians are mistaken for American quite alot. I can understand how annoying it can be - Scottish folk resent being called English. I guess it's the same thing....

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by DOADOA

...and where are you from?

new topics

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join