It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadians overly sensitive, Brits warned

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Seems we might have a future get together. I assume the black SUV's with sat dishes ontop wont be a bother ?

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Skippy1138

You inspired me:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Having been away from ATS for a few days, this has been a great thread to read. Really great. Fun, entertaining, and educational. Didn't realize about the limited eye contact thing, or the Queen "factor vs. non-factor" issue. (I always assumed she is a figure-head).

When the weatherman here says "winter blast with winds from Canada", brace yourself.
(Look somewhere in a closet for a coat, surely you have one somewhere).

Otherwise what Canada means to me:
It's where I will run to at lightspeed when the SHTF in the U.S.
Whether you want me or not. I'm coming.

I will choose the location based on which area is the warmest.
I will try to develop a fondness for coats, hats, scarves and gloves.
I will build a house and put a fireplace in every room. Unless you already have those.
I will drink Cognac, however. Not really a beer person.

I will avoid little girls in pink nazi dresses.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Indeed this thread has been a combination of interaction, i guess threads at times can be far more productive without the negative and sarcastic input. Its all about communication.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Can we have some aussie feedback so in the spirit of fair play, here we go

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65

Originally posted by intrepid
Not even close. The US is a republic that seceded from Britain violently. Ours is a parliamentary system that separated from Britain via a LONG political movement. Did you know that we didn't even have a constitution until 1982? Hockey vs Football. Baseball vs curling. We like our guns but we don't go ape over them. I could go on.

Real bacon vs that round crap you try to pawn off on people as bacon.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by jerico65]

Oh you mean ham. Apparently you've never enjoyed the grandest Canadian bacon of them all... BACK BACON!

And to who ever threw that quip out there about Canadians being Americans because of the continent... Americans have been known as Americans from the colonial days, you know 1500's on until now. A Canadian is a Canadian, a American is an American and a Mexican is a Mexican... we are not all Americans and we do not share the want to be. I am proud to be an American and sorry to my Canuck brothers but screw your maple leaf, I'll keep ol glory. And who's the guy that has the stars and bars as his avatar and insults Americans for wearing Canadian flags? Hypocrite much?

So in summation, take off ya knobs.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Like the commercial says...

"I AM CANADIAN!!"

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Well Mr/Ms Intrepid,
when I travel abroad I have to say like to pretend I am Canadian ( I am American), because, well...tell me one group of people or culture that hates Canadians so much that they want to blow them up or kill them. Betcha you can't and there are plenty who hate Americans. lol

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
To those of you putting down American beer, just have a look at this. I hate to break it to the Canadian beer snobs out there, but both our countries were founded by the same alcohol loving Europeans. I'll bet my hometown brewery, Great Lakes, produces an ale just as fine as the best Canadian brewery ever could. I will, however, denounce this claim when I immigrate to Canada after your country eventually legalizes marijuana!

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   
When it comes to our national identity, some of us can be overly sensitive towards it. As a Canadian, the only thing I could never stand are the stereotypes people have of us. i went to Baltimore in 1998 with my band, and a guy in a convenience store asked us where we were from, we told him Ontario, Canada. He actually asked if we were getting used to all this sunlight. because apparently, it's dark for over nine months all over Canada. That is the only thing that touches a nerve.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   

I'd say Canadian humo(u)r is a good mix of both (with obvious shows that are on the far extremes).

Take the Red Green Show for example. That is no where near British comedy, but I bet if you sat people from the US down to watch the show they would find some way to explode with laughter.

OH yeah... this is just another thought I have been having issue with since I was little. I'm from the US. I was born and raised overseas (Hawaii, Asia...) and it REALLY bugs me when someone calls me an American. It also bugs me that we accept that as a term for citizens of the United States of America. Does anyone else ever get that feeling?

(I do write out Citizen of the United States of America, or say it when asked)

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
He is correct. We have our own identity. We are not Americans. We are as similar as we are different. Calling a Canuck an American will likely get your face pushed back a few inches. May seem silly but that's the way we are.

Here are some of the differences between Canadians and American

- Canadians achieved independence from peaceful political means, whereas american used war to separate from the Brits. By far Canadians are more peaceful then americans in almost every way.

- When do you ever hear about the CSIS conspiracies or problems with the CSIS. The CIA has their greedy little hands in way more things around the world. The Canadian spy agency, still screws around with the world, but not the level of the CIA.

- All economies are effected by the United States, but Canadians have a sound economic system. There is corruption, but not on the scale of the united states. That is why the depression in Canada is no where near it is, the the States.

- Canadians make a lot of goods and export them around the world, quite a bit. Canada is in the top 10 in the world for exporting and manufactoring.

Americans on the other hand are at the bottom of this chart. They manufacture little and import almost everything. They are at the bottom of the list (around 200 i think) , which is one of the factors of the american depression.

- Canadians have way different foreign policy and do not make it a habit of occupying other nations. The united states is experiencing the blow back effect and 9/11 is that effect.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by tristar

Okay Intrepid, if and when i will further travel and my road takes me to Canada, i would hope that you show me the local cuisine, although the beaver issue is something that i may need U.N forces to influence me.

From Intrepid's other thread, about halfway down the page, FortAnthem found a clip on, well you know, hard to word it delicately now
beaver chili:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The guy actually makes it sound better than I ever thought it would be

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by torturekiller2006
When it comes to our national identity, some of us can be overly sensitive towards it. As a Canadian, the only thing I could never stand are the stereotypes people have of us. i went to Baltimore in 1998 with my band, and a guy in a convenience store asked us where we were from, we told him Ontario, Canada. He actually asked if we were getting used to all this sunlight. because apparently, it's dark for over nine months all over Canada. That is the only thing that touches a nerve.

I would have totally pissed myself laughing.... *pardon my french

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
reply to post by tristar

Yeah, if you're in the northern areas, make sure of what you're getting. A beaver tail, or a bear claw in the city will be a dessert for sure, but if in the northern, slightly more uncivilized
areas of the country, you want to know in advance what they're planning on feeding you....

Umm...Bear Claw...!!!

your kidding right, you actually eat those ???

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

mmmm bear claws mmmm

pastry filled with mincemeat (no meat, just candied like raisin mixture of sorts) , covered in icing.

We do have funny sounding pastries.

Although the real bear meat is eaten in some of the northern communities. Depending on the hunting restrictions for the time of year. It's starting to seem like we eat almost anything up here

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

...i honestly can say i have never tasted bear, let alone claw. Curious though as to how it tastes, i mean what would you compare it to ?

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Did you know the 6th biggest Canadian city is Los Angeles and i think its boxer day all the flags come out.And in orange county i saw a house painted in the Canadian flag.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

I haven't tried bear myself, but some people compare it to moose, deer, elk, probably closest to moose, which is the gamiest tasting of those. Quite rich apparently. Stew, or chili would probably be a nice way to try it, paired up with a rich red wine, or strong beer

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
reply to post by tristar

I haven't tried bear myself, but some people compare it to moose, deer, elk, probably closest to moose, which is the gamiest tasting of those. Quite rich apparently. Stew, or chili would probably be a nice way to try it, paired up with a rich red wine, or strong beer

Moose ( Never tasted that either )
Deer ( Only about 2 times )
Elk ( Never tasted that either )

Thanks for the feedback, that actually sounds very good,

new topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join