It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadians overly sensitive, Brits warned

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by tristar

Not sure I'm following you there ... One moment you were talking about the 5 Roths being sent all over the place then you're speaking about Russia only...

Forgive my lack of knowledge on this one.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wowbagger
reply to post by tristar

Not sure I'm following you there ... One moment you were talking about the 5 Roths being sent all over the place then you're speaking about Russia only...

Forgive my lack of knowledge on this one.

Just replying to your twin posts. Two different topics. One was regarding the Iran, N.Korean issue and another regarding the Roths.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by tristar

Alright I'll check in to that, thanks!

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by tristar

Right sorry, it's getting late over here, my brain is not cooperating so much right now.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   
No problem about it being late, i am kinda used to doing straight 24hrs online but that is simply me. Never the less, it is time for me to do some shopping as the fridge needs to be stocked. So i guess ill see you all later on in the day or night depending on the time zone.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
He is correct. We have our own identity. We are not Americans. We are as similar as we are different. Calling a Canuck an American will likely get your face pushed back a few inches. May seem silly but that's the way we are.

We have a winner!

We don't take kindly to that roun' these parts.

I think however, it's also the fact that people have starting looking at America, and Canada as 'The West', lumping the ideologies together.

~Keeper

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Good idea. Bon nuit.

See you all later. This was an enjoyable conversation.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wowbagger

All you're saying I think is pretty much on the ball legally. However in practice, it's not so black and white. Have the queen or the governor general ever used these powers?

Of course... they use it all the time... every law that gets passed must receive Royal approval.... this is all done in secret or in private which is why they have the "Privy Council".... Privy means private.... they do things in there that they don't tell you about because they swore an oath of allegiance and secrecy to the Queen... this is why they receive the title "honorable"... because they are not honorable to you but to the Queen as members of the Queens Privy Council for Canada. And the title, "Right Honorable", usually bestowed on Prime ministers and Governor Generals is because they are also members of the Queen's highest Privy council in London.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
you can tell the americans when they visit canada, they are the obese, arrogant, loudmouths that make a scene ordering a simple cup of coffee. they also come with this we own the world attitude. all you can do is shake your head and feel sorry for them because that level of ignorance is beyond fixable.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by tristar

Originally posted by tristar
Its why i was like..huh...wtf (pardon my french)..i simply couldn't understand how a person would mistaken a canadian for an american or visa-versa.

WTF?.....Well, like we say here in the states,......."No canoes is good canoes."...........just kidding!

[edit on 12-8-2010 by MY2Commoncentsworth]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Isn't always a figurehead? Must be most of the time then.

The governor general is appointed by the Queen on the advice of the prime minister.

www.cbc.ca...

... Advice....
Harper advises no one... he just follows orders... Don't listen to the CBC.... Peter Mansbridge, the main anchor for CBC, just came back from a Bilderberg meeting also attended by Gordon Campbell (Premier of British Columbia).... If you want to know the ruling structure of Canada read the BNA Act of 1867.... I just did my best to break it down for you but if you still want to believe that Harper runs things well you're not alone

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by hippomchippo
Canada doesn't invade other countries, and got its sovereignty by asking nicely.
Canada willing doesn't develop nuclear weapons, when it could do it with no international controversy.
Americans on the other hand..well.. you know.

My god there is a lot of bigotry and broad-brushing in this thread.

"Americans are this, Canadians are that..."

Please, just stop it. The US is a cultural hodgepodge, there is no national identity. There are lots of places in the USA where, if you took a sampling of the population and compared it to a random sampling of th Canadian population, there would be virtually no difference.

The only real difference between us is that Canadians have a subtle but unique accent, and that only applies to one vowel.

Stop trying to portray Americans as gun-obsessed morons who favor war over diplomacy. Learn rudimentary US politics and you'll see how false that belief is. It's sad and ironic that such stupid comments are coming from people claiming intellectual superiority.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Can't we just all agree that we are HUMAN and move on without the random stereotyping...

I love Canadians as much as I love my fellow Americans, and anyone else on this big green rock we call earth. Personally I wouldn't be offended by being called a different nationality, not that I am not patriotic or anything, I simply like to see the bigger picture I guess

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 03:23 AM
link   
From my experience travelling a few years ago, I remember Canadians being offended if you thought they were American. I think its because we were in Central America, in Mexico Nicaragua, Hondorus and Panama. There is some animosity towards Americans in these countries for historical reasons, so I understood why the Canadians were more sensitive about their Nationalities. I also had a holiday romance with a Canadian girl while I was travelling and she gave me the cold shoulder for a whole day just because I was mimicking her accent. Still she is probably the coolest girl I've ever met.

I think when your traveling your own nationality is quite important, I was always keen to point out that I wasn't a "Gringo" in Mexico.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   

He is correct. We have our own identity. We are not Americans. We are as similar as we are different. Calling a Canuck an American will likely get your face pushed back a few inches. May seem silly but that's the way we are.

Canada is not much different than the US, infact some would say they are 2 in one, faking their boundaries. I wouldn't be surprised if the US owned Canada.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:01 AM
link   
I thought i should add that Canadian woman are far more attractive ...oops..i hope i don't bring any flak on myself. Oh well, lets not be totally blind, America has very attractive woman to.

Oh who to choose..who to choose, well in the spirit of foreign relations, ill take one of each if that isn't considered as over indulgence.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Great thread.

In my limited experience I have found Canadians and Americans quite different in nature, but that is of course a gross generalisation.
However, I do struggle to differentiate between the accents.
And I understand why both would be upset by getting mistaken for the other.

I also struggle to tell the difference between Ozzy Strine and New Zealand Kiwi.

Yet I can tell and identify different accents from 10miles either way from where I live.
Go North and they are distinctly more Geordie.
East and they are Smoggies.
West and you start getting the wooly backs and Cumbrians.
South we have the 'e bah gum' Yorkshire Tykes.
All have distinctive accents and traits and dislike being mistook for each other yet have a Northern commonality.

Canada, along with Australia and New Zealand have been loyal and steadfast friends of the UK and have earned our eternal respect and gratitude.

The Queen is an outdated anachronism who I liken to the eccentric Aunty who we roll out at family parties, give a glass of sherry and leave in the corner.
She has absolutely no practical say in the governing of the UK, why she would in any other country is beyond me
Whilst she provides some culture and most Brits have an historic fondness fr her, if she tried to exert any real influence I think The Royal Family's number would be up.

I have found the few brands of both US and Canadian 'beers' I have drank too yeasty for my liking.
I like Amstel and other Dutch 'beers' and have drank numerous local brews during my travels and adventures all over Europe.
I enjoy the occassional pint of Fosters but prefer it when mixed with Dry Cider in Snakebite.
But I am a bitter man by choice, preferably John Smith's Magnet which, unlike Southern Ale's, must be drank cold.

www.thenorthernecho.co.uk...

[edit on 12/8/10 by Freeborn]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by TortoiseKweek

When I open my mouth, people think I'm: Australian, Kiwi, English.... very few get I'm South African off the bat.

Exactly right ... Americans seldom guessed I was South African ... most thought I was an Aussie. They simply could not comprehend that I had white skin and was from "Aaaaferika".

Sad really.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   
This is a great topic of which I know a mooseload.

I have lived back and forth between the US and Canada all my life.

The CDN school system is far superior. Just look at overall world United Nations type ranking of education and quality etc. See who is at the top.

America:
Unless you are lucky to be on a "north side" type part of town your school is going to suck badly. I was reading where in Indianapolis the inner city public schools are without AC right now while the Northside kids practice football in a $15 mill high school stadium. Nearly 70% of inner city kids don't graduate on time if at all. My own child has experienced both a public inner city school and a suburban type school in the US but she is smart because of CDN teachers the rest of the time.

This is just one difference between the two countries. I could go on all day long about the differences.

To be quite honest and blunt I will say America has screwed everything up. When I was younger the US dollar was strong and everyone used to ask me (seriously) "what the hell are you doing in Halifax or Vancouver when you could be in the US making those strong green dollars and hanging with movie stars etc."
Well fast forward about 15 years and it is totally opposite. The US dollar sucks, the US economy is pathetic and CDNs are quite disgusted with some of the things America is doing. Even things as small as in Indiana they just throw whatever the hell they want in the trash beer bottles and all and here in Canada NO WAY HOSER we recycle.

I think it's more a matter of CDNs being proud NOT TO BE American.
You know "I'm CDN, my country economy is stable, I have health care, all of our children get equal education across the land in 2 languages and we haven't outright murdered near 1 million people in Iraq and Afghanistan based on lies and business as usual.

Yes I was born American, grew up in the Midwest and have spent most of my adult life in Canada but if people ask me today where I am from I say Canada quite proudly as I am more proud of late to be so. Lucky I was born dual citizen with a choice.

[edit on 12-8-2010 by Wormwood Squirm]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by christianpatrick
reply to post by intrepid

Why'd you Australians get into that mess? To make the world safe for opium poppy growers? Bush's lapdogs, I say. When Bush f*rted, the Canadian and Australian PMs thanked him and told him how good it smelled.

That was our Prime Minister at the time John Howard and his band of Liberal cronies. (Im speaking of Australia here of course.)

Note that we got rid of him at the next available election.

Note also that the majority of the Aussie public disagrees with the war and never wanted to go there in the first place.

Oh and we hated Bush.

That about sum it up for you?

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join