It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadians overly sensitive, Brits warned

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by tristar

eg
"Polish tourists are likely to be hurt by stereotypes that imply they drink excessively..."

[edit on 11-8-2010 by tristar]

he's right, polish do drink excessively, i know a few pollocks.

i wouldnt say they drink to often though, just to much amount each time.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Ecidemon

When you live in Canada its easier to tell, I can tell a Vancouver accent from a Toronto accent from an American one. When your in a border town its harder since they blend but further north you go the easier it gets. It doesn't help I took some linguistics classes since its kinda cheating. I think the easiest accent to tell is Quebecois vs Newfie.

Its funny if you ever go to Hull you can instantly tell those from Hull from those in Ottawa 90% of the time. I lived there for a while and its funny, only if you speak french and know how to say can you speak English. Les Quebecois ne pas parle l'englais. Ils parle le Quebecois et le Francais. Pardon ma fracais mais je ne pas estudier le francais beaucoup. Sulement dans neuvième année.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by nik1halo

For sure. The common wealth would be on the front lines. Heck I think even Russia would join in and help. But they might just want to beat up America, and ask for some rights to the North. They States could never attack us. It would be suicide on their part. How many countries would help the states is a better question.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Well I have to agree with the OP and say that yes, I am overly sensitive when out of the country.

When I travel, for some reason, I feel like I am representing my country. This isn't something that is required, or even expected, but I feel that if Canada is to be put in a bad light by someone, it won't be me.

I am not a pushover, but will be polite as possible. I will try and respect all laws and customs as well as I can. And when asked, I will proudly state that I am Canadian.

To be mistaken for American, or any other nationality will illicit a response that will make sure that there is no mistake where I come from.

And yes, I have the Canadian flag sewn on my backpack and have noticed myself saying "eh" at the end of a sentence. I don't say aboot as I am not from the east coast, but when out of the country, it sure is nice to hear another say it, as I know a fellow Canadian is around, it's unmistakable.

But overly sensitive does come into play as there is a real tangible difference between Canadians and Americans and each is proud to be who they are, and where they are from, and to mistake one for the other is not acceptable in either of our eyes.

but then again, what do I know.....I am a Leafs fan..

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by christianpatrick

Afghanistan's government attack North America. They tried to do what they did in Canada as well - which has been seriously covered up. The Taliban had also taken at least one plane prior that had many Canadians on it.

Canadian was already on the hit list for Al-Q before that.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by tribewilder

100% agree except the leafs GO SENS GO!!!! Leafs suck, this isn't a flame fyi its team rivalry, Canadians know this. Only other team Like are the habs, only if the sens have a bad season, like this year... Come on boys you can do better... This year is the year they are going to win.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Without knowing you are Canadian, is it ok to ask you if you are a North American?

With my accent, I'm called South African in Australia by foreigners here and Australian in New Zealand but the Australians and the British get it right the first time.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

Oh and my grandmother was born in Nova Scotia

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by aorAki

Originally posted by intrepid
He is correct. We have our own identity. We are not Americans. We are as similar as we are different. Calling a Canuck an American will likely get your face pushed back a few inches. May seem silly but that's the way we are.

But you ARE Americans!
Canada is in North America. The United States of America is in North America.

I would be happy calling you American, but not Yanks.

Don't be so sensitive, especially over semantics.

Would you call a Mexican living in Mexico an American? I highly doubt it.
Those of us that live in North America, know the difference. There are huge cultural differences in many of the different regions within North America even within the US and Canada. Quebec for example is like another country almost.

[edit on 12-8-2010 by Blue_Jay33]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

Asking someone where they are from is no problem at all. I have to do this all the time as I am sort of ignorant on many accents and need to ask people all the time where they are from.

It's when it's assumed that you are from a country that you are not that I have the problem. Don't know what emotion that is exactly, pride I guess. And it's not even an insult that I feel, I just want to set the record straight as I am sure that most feel this way and want to set the record straight as to ones nationality.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tykonos
The problem is the accent sounds more or less the same to most people that aren't from that side of the Atlantic. Alot of people over there get mixed up with our accent here in the UK too.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by Tykonos]

This is exactly it. I've got a Michigan accent which is very similar to the Canadian accent. The farther north you go in this state, the more prevalent the Yooper dialect becomes until it's linguistic climax in the Upper Peninsula. (Hey der from da U.P., eh!) Many people assumed I was Canadian when I lived in California and Illinois. Americans in other regions of the country can't even tell the accent apart.

I think most foreigners can pick up on the California accent without a hitch, because that is the accent most prevalent in our media, but all the others are truly a bit tricky.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaalphanovember
Exactly right ... Americans seldom guessed I was South African ... most thought I was an Aussie. They simply could not comprehend that I had white skin and was from "Aaaaferika".

LOL! How's this for a good 1 - When I started work here in 2007, 1 guys asked me where do I come from, so I told him. He stood there in silence with a confused look, and after 5 seconds or so made the dumbest statement / question: "But.....but.... You're white?"

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
The terms North America,South America are for geological purposes and maps. They don`t denote an entity like a country.
Ask a Cuban if he is American.
Ask Chavez if he is an American.
How about I ask you, as a US citizen, If You are From the United States of North America.
You us the term America like its all yours, or the top of the heap or something. Whats that all about. Mister

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   

I don't see any problem in that; we are all proud of our roots.

The biggest mistake I make is trying to figure out the difference between Indians, Pakistanis, Suri Lankins and Kashmirians

I'm better knowing the difference between Arabs and which country they're from than I do Caucasian Americans & Canadians. The accent between the Americans in Seattle and the Canadians in Vancouver I'm just stomped so I usually just ask which part of North America they're from so I don't insult anyone.

Australian, Kiwi, South African, Scottish, Irish, British.....I get it right the first time

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by aorAki
But you ARE Americans!
Canada is in North America. The United States of America is in North America.
I would be happy calling you American, but not Yanks.
Don't be so sensitive, especially over semantics.

Nope...not how it works...trust me on that.

Originally posted by inkslug
Firstly, to the majority of the world it is extremely difficult to identify a Canadian accent over any one of the number of regional accents of the US.

I'm not sure if many Americans are aware that newscasters John Roberts (known to us as J.D.) and the late Peter Jennings are Canadian...and chosen partly because of their fuzzy non-regional accents, eh?

You'd be shocked at how many of us have infiltrated the American culture.

Originally posted by Erasurehead
You Canucks LOVE America, you just can't admit it. You embrace American culture. You watch American TV, movies and sports. You eat McDonalds and drink Coca-cola just like Americans. So embrace your big brother to the south, we love you little bro.

Then how come we make damn sure we don't get mistaken for Americans. I mean, I like roller coasters, too...doesn't mean I want a drive home on the 401 to feel like that!

Originally posted by sassyncute
I am going to make it my mission to go to Churchill one day and see the whales (Normally if I want to see whales I have to travel to Texas.)

Try Newfoundland instead...you get icebergs and moose tossed in for good measure...plus George Street!

Originally posted by intrepid
That said I'm a Bluenoser.

...which I'm told is a Newfoundlander that ran out of money on the way to Toronto. Or was that a Herring Choker?

...oh, and My Canada includes Quebec! Come to think of it, it includes Florida, too.

I AM Canadian!

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mister1k
The terms North America,South America are for geological purposes and maps. They don`t denote an entity like a country.
Ask a Cuban if he is American.
Ask Chavez if he is an American.
How about I ask you, as a US citizen, If You are From the United States of North America.
You us the term America like its all yours, or the top of the heap or something. Whats that all about. Mister

I see where you're coming from here, but this is a particularly American (continent of) attitude.

Ask a Frenchman if he's European and he'll say yes. Ask an Indian if he's Asian and he'll say yes. Ask a Nigerian if he's African and he'll say yes. Ask a Brit if he's European and he'll grudgingly accept the fact whilst muttering something about the "Bloody EU" under his breath

It seems it's only the people of the Americas that don't want to acknowledge the continent they live in.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by tristar
Not sure how to respond to this, since when were the Canadians thought of as Americans. Did this reporter skip social classes or better yet, has ever traveled and interacted with different nationalities ?...sorry i cant continue as i am wiping the tears from my eyes due to laughter.

Its not that outlandish...i mean really.. Canada is USA lite.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by nik1halo

Yes and no, We're North Americans. Americain implies were from America, which we are not. Its like asking an Australian if they are brittish since they have the queen on their money, or asking an Irish if they are British. I assume that wont go over well. Yes in a sense we are "American" but by saying that most people think America not North America and I just don't want to be lumped in with them because lets face it, their reputation isn't the best globally. I know quite a few Canadians who agree. Canada even has these problems similar its called Quebec and le separation. Quebec feels they are loosing their Quebec culture and french heritage. Canada feels like they are loosing their heritage to the American melting pot. I'm sure America wouldn't appreciate Mexicans being called American.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
My personal observation travelling abroad confirms that Canadians are sensitive for the most part.

And why not? Being called "American" is something of an "accusation" in many parts, even if they do smile to your face.

When we were in Scotland, out in the country, we encountered some very nice people. Interestingly, their perhaps "guarded" exterior amongst us Americans instantly went down a few notches when they realized that our nanny was Australian. Ah yes, for her the really big smiles, and a bit of relief too, that at least one in the group was "OK"...The diference in attitude was striking, in comparison.

And then in Tahiti. There you've got the somewhat snobby French tourist factor, but toned down some, the French are far worse in their own country of course. But you have Canadian tourists, and the poor Tahitians do in fact make only a basic separation it seems, "Americans" vs. French. English-speaking Canadians are lumped in, and it was almost comical watching this one Canadian protest, and explain, to a Tahitian guide with tattoos, who obviously could care less what the supposed difference was. But the show was for the Americans just as much, and when the old Canuck finally settled down, he was amicable again, he just really wanted that "line" to be officially drawn in the sand.

Adding to the story, this man's wife was French Canadian, and went out of her way to speak as much French as possible, which makes perfect sense in Tahiti, but the whole context was, that they were fiercely proud to be Canadian, and it was important for people to know it, even the natives, who could care less.

Anyway, there are bigger cultural differences anyone could point to within any nation. As many have pointed out, the language is a big separator. English speaking Americans and Canadians probably do have more in common than fellow Canadians who do not share the same language, and who still prefer to cling to their French heritage.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by tristar

This seems to be a problem everywhere. Why can't we all just understand that we are human and not different races? To me there are only two kinds of people ones who are positive and ones who are negative. The negatives seem to be winning if you look at the world.

We must all remember to be positive towards each other. I am American but my family tree is Czechoslovakian, Ukrainian, and Polish. My grandmother was born in Canada and moved here when she was 17. All of her family still lives up in Canada. I want to move to Canada but I don't understand all the hate towards any one country.

We are all humans and it doesn't matter where your from or what color you are. Being positive is just that, positive, and being negative is just being negative. We need to break free of all the chains we have put on ourselves. We listen to the news and they tell us all this propagana as to how we should feel. Don't be negative towards people you don't know just because your (It's all governments and news media's) government and news media are negative and have told you how to feel about other countries. Or one person from one color or country has somehow offended you and now your mad at anyone from there. That is not positive i'll tell you that much, and who wants to help someone who is negative?

Many humans look to the sky for something instead of looking at ourselves and trying to stay positive in this world of mostly negative humans. Why would any positive beings want to come here and help a negative human race. Think about it and look at "EVERYONE" you come in contact with (including the internet and TV) and I mean "EVERYONE," and you will see the truth.

Breaking free of all our chains is part of "waking up" ATS should be more in tune with this but many still need a wake up call. Almost everything we do or feel has been shoved into our brains to tell us how to think and act. Negative is in power right now because we have let ourselves become singular beings instead of all One. Look around and open your eyes at the news or anything that tries to tell you what to think (even people, myself included) and weed out the negative and take in the positive.

Negative wants you to only think of yourself and not others. Negative tells you that if it isn't happening to you then it doesn't matter. Negative tells you not to tip the person at the bar or restaurant. Negative tells you to lie so you can get your raise or promotion over others. Negative tells you to not care period.

I'm not proud to be American i'm proud to be a human and I wish more people would wake the hell up. WAKE UP PEOPLE, be proud to be a human and the gift of life we were given. To be able to realize we are who we are is a gift of positive energy from the heavens.

[edit on 12-8-2010 by Trudge]

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join