It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadians overly sensitive, Brits warned

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   
I'm from the UK and seriously can't tell the difference between an american accent and a canadian one. Except when they say "about".

I wonder what americans think of our accents? We have so bloody many and they are all wierd so I'm sure they probably can.

I wonder if an american could tell the difference between a welsh accent and a newcastle accent? Or a west country one and scouse one?

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:04 AM
link   
hahahaha I meant canadian... see we do get you confused!!!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by theclutch

Canadians make fun of Americans because they are gullible and think we live in igloos and eat seal blubber year round! They also think we have polar bears roaming the streets and eating our young.

Don't worry, Ive had Americans tell me they believed Aussies have Kangaroo's bouncing around everyones backyards and that we only just discovered electricity........true story eh.........

That's all fine with us Canadians because it keeps the Americans out. hee hee hee.

We Aussies invented a mythical creature to scare the American tourists with - the "Dropbear" - a vicious bear creature that drops out of trees onto unsuspecting prey (humans) to gorge itself silly on them.....

You have no idea the amount of American tourists who believe it hehe.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wowbagger

Best thing ever, drive thru beer stores in Australia. I swear, I couldn't believe this. Such a paradox.

ehehehehehhehehehehehehehe

God I love being an Aussie!

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by tristar

reply to post by tristar

Damn, that VB stuff is bad, really insanely bad. Good thing they have wine. As well as Jim Beam pre mixed bourbon-coke in a can. haha that also made me laugh

Oh yes, it was sold at 7-11 stores right next to the Coke and Pepsi, also even funnier was the fact that kids would purchase it as lower cost method of getting blasted before going to parties.

Hate to tell you mate, but liquor is only allowed to be sold licensed liquor shops in Australia. If any 7-11 / Service station (thats gas station to you yanks) or convenience store tried to sell liquor it would be a massive fine and possible jail sentence for the seller.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Wow. What an amazing thread of ignorance and stereotyping

I mean after all there is nothing worse than being mistaken for an American! Those guys suck so bad! They are all loud and crass and just love guns and war!

You people ever thought about the fact that the Americans being presented in your media aren't really what America is about? That in fact the policy of the American government around the world is one that is suited for and helping only the corporate interests?

Don't be such a joke. Americans hate their government as much as the next group anymore. They are unrepresentative and pure evil. But I still love my home and my country! It's not the same as the government you know?

[edit on 12-8-2010 by Redwookieaz]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Im from uk and find it difficult to distinguish between canadians and americans largely due to the fact that i havent had much face to face interaction with either

on a beer related note

nothing beats drinking a 2ltr bottle of white lightning on park for 2 quid

or a bottle of mad dog 20/20

ahh the good old days of underage drinking

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

reply to post by tristar

Damn, that VB stuff is bad, really insanely bad. Good thing they have wine. As well as Jim Beam pre mixed bourbon-coke in a can. haha that also made me laugh

Oh yes, it was sold at 7-11 stores right next to the Coke and Pepsi, also even funnier was the fact that kids would purchase it as lower cost method of getting blasted before going to parties.

Hate to tell you mate, but liquor is only allowed to be sold licensed liquor shops in Australia. If any 7-11 / Service station (thats gas station to you yanks) or convenience store tried to sell liquor it would be a massive fine and possible jail sentence for the seller.

I do remember seeing Jim Beam and Cola being sold over the counter along with Island Coolers. Well it was summer back then, but the Jim Beam was being sold to a guy or kid, well he did seem to be in his teens but then again looks could be deceiving.

But sure those drive thru's were simply out of this world. Very cool if you want my opinion. I guess it shows that the general public is well aware of the affects of drinking and driving. ** WHICH WE SHOULD NOT DO **

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   
I'm Canadian, and I personally cannot distinguished an American from a Canadian, unless they have a distinctive regional accent.

I don't take offence when someone mistakes me for an American. Sometimes though, some children will point to me and scream "American! American!" I will usually correct them and say I'm Canadian. (and inform them it's not polite to point)

There are some places where you have to specify that you are Canadian (and show your passport) at the risk of being denied service. But that's mostly because Americans do most of the dirty work that all western countries directly or indirectly benefit from.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Redwookieaz

You people ever thought about the fact that the Americans being presented in your media aren't really what America is about? That in fact the policy of the American government around the world is one that is suited for and helping only the corporate interests?

Unfortunately, other peoples experiences with Americans doesn't just come down to what they have seen on TV. Many people here have spoken from first-person experiences, including myself. Now while I agree with you that not all Americans are like that, I'm afraid that I've also met many Americans who fly around the world carrying the American flag and spouting what a great country it is, denigrating the country that they are in and then acting surprised when they get mobbed. This I have seen with my own eyes, many times over.

Don't be such a joke. Americans hate their government as much as the next group anymore. They are unrepresentative and pure evil. But I still love my home and my country! It's not the same as the government you know?

It comes down to the fact that yes, Americans hate their government but YOU ELECTED THEM. And dont say that many people didn't because they didn't vote - those votes might have turned the election around or given it a different outcome.

In Australia, we have compulsory voting - everyone over 18 has to vote. Perhaps if America had a similar system you would see very different results in your elections and the world may not view America with the disdain that it does now. Just food for thought.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by truthlad

I wonder if an american could tell the difference between a welsh accent and a newcastle accent? Or a west country one and scouse one?

Oh, now you have me by the jugular, wow, now that is a hard one to pick...hmm, i need to brush up again. But its true that the U.K. has so many accents in such a confined area.

...btw, i think the brits have an awesome accent, especially when they use the term bullocks.

[edit on 12-8-2010 by tristar]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by moosevernel
Im from uk and find it difficult to distinguish between canadians and americans largely due to the fact that i havent had much face to face interaction with either

on a beer related note

nothing beats drinking a 2ltr bottle of white lightning on park for 2 quid

or a bottle of mad dog 20/20

ahh the good old days of underage drinking

Hahahaha!!!!

I remember those days. White lightning, 2 dogs or hooch in my day and don't forget good old Tennants Super! Sitting in the park, then getting chased out by the parkie

I'd also agree that most Brits find it hard to distinguish between Canadian and North Eastern US accents. It's not helped by the fact that many of the TV shows we get, that are advertised as "American" are actually filmed in Canada and star many Canadians. Stargate is a perfect example.

ETA: On the flip side, I'm from the Black Country (West Midlands, England) and I've had many an American think I was Austrailian!

To our US friends, just think Ozzy Osbourne and you'll have an idea what my accent sounds like.

[edit on 12-8-2010 by nik1halo]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   

I do remember seeing Jim Beam and Cola being sold over the counter along with Island Coolers. Well it was summer back then, but the Jim Beam was being sold to a guy or kid, well he did seem to be in his teens but then again looks could be deceiving.

The bloke selling it was probably doing it illegally, as it is a big no-no to sell alcohol from anywhere other than licensed premises.

But sure those drive thru's were simply out of this world. Very cool if you want my opinion. I guess it shows that the general public is well aware of the affects of drinking and driving. ** WHICH WE SHOULD NOT DO **

Most Aussies are sensible about drinking and driving - we either get a taxi home or we just drink at home lol. Thats not to say we don't have our idiots - being a huge alcohol consuming nation we are bound to get dickheads - but we are also as strict as hell on those who are caught doing it.

The latest Aussie government TV ad about drink driving literally has the slogan "If you drink and drive you're a bloody idiot" - originally it was "If you drink and drive you're a bloody dickhead" but some 90 year old complained so they toned it down....

Anyhoo, back to the drive-thru's - I honestly don't know why they don't build them worldwide! You could advertise it like this: "From the country that gave you the fridge and Paul Hogan comes - drumroll....... - The drive-thru bottle shop!!!!!"

Ah the possibilities.....

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Son of Will

Originally posted by hippomchippo
Canada doesn't invade other countries, and got its sovereignty by asking nicely.
Canada willing doesn't develop nuclear weapons, when it could do it with no international controversy.
Americans on the other hand..well.. you know.

My god there is a lot of bigotry and broad-brushing in this thread.

"Americans are this, Canadians are that..."

Please, just stop it. The US is a cultural hodgepodge, there is no national identity. There are lots of places in the USA where, if you took a sampling of the population and compared it to a random sampling of th Canadian population, there would be virtually no difference.

The only real difference between us is that Canadians have a subtle but unique accent, and that only applies to one vowel.

Stop trying to portray Americans as gun-obsessed morons who favor war over diplomacy. Learn rudimentary US politics and you'll see how false that belief is. It's sad and ironic that such stupid comments are coming from people claiming intellectual superiority.

I do feel the thread was as neutral as it gets, many expressed their opinions views without attacking any individual. I guess the fact that so many have replied in a rational manner suggest that most if not all were enjoying this thread. Some may be offended and some may have had a descent smile to say the least as a reaction.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by nik1halo

To our US friends, just think Ozzy Osbourne and you'll have an idea what my accent sounds like.

Now that is an insane image in my head. Ozzy Osbourne posting on ATS, saying F*#*%#* this and F#*#)# that...damn F*#($*# this and F##($* that.

link   
reply to post by nik1halo

good times..!! ha forgot about hooch i wonder what happened to it, and one of the pubs near me just started serving tennants on tap, good times for legal age drinking

im from north west (lancashire) and therefore cannot be mistaken for being from anywhere but the north west

link   
reply to post by Kryties

Most Aussies are sensible about drinking and driving - we either get a taxi home or we just drink at home lol. Thats not to say we don't have our idiots - being a huge alcohol consuming nation we are bound to get dickheads - but we are also as strict as hell on those who are caught doing it.

An Aussie mate of mine told me you guys have breathalisers in bars to tell you whether you're legal to drive or not. That's a great idea IMO, although it doesn't answer the question of what do with your car if it registers positive.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Now that is an insane image in my head. Ozzy Osbourne posting on ATS, saying F*#*%#* this and F#*#)# that...damn F*#($*# this and F##($* that.

I should have said, Ozzy without the drug addled, slurred speech

SHARON!!!

[edit for spellnig]

[edit on 12-8-2010 by nik1halo]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   

reply to post by Kryties

An Aussie mate of mine told me you guys have breathalisers in bars to tell you whether you're legal to drive or not. That's a great idea IMO, although it doesn't answer the question of what do with your car if it registers positive.

Yep, thats correct - not all pubs have them but they are catching on quickly and soon it will be impossible to find an Aussie pub without one.

I'll answer your second question with my own personal experience - I slept in my car lol. Aussies know that if they are over the limit then either 1. they can risk driving home and getting caught by one of the billion or so coppers on the roads all with portable breath testing units - and the result is immediate loss of license and court date and possible jail or 2. we either get a taxi and pick our car up the next day or just sleep in the car.

All of this may sound odd to foreigners but thats Australia for ya hehe.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by nik1halo

Well obviously i am still awake from yesterday, but never the less and still having Ozzys image in head posting a response thread to this while going ballistic is to simply do back flips over.
, but hey, would like to know how the Aussies down under feel about the Canadians or Australians.

new topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join