It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists agreeing end of times is near?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Does anyone truly know how long man has been on this Earth? I agree...we are having ill effects on our planet, but to what extent? What scientist knows the history has fact? Our science is learned and relearned from man. Our instruments of dating time...thought up by man. We really don't know how old the Earth is, we don't know how long we have been here, and we don't know how long we will continue to be here. For any person, including scientists, to say we have a decade before complete breakdown of the human race is absurd. When we start putting stock in guesses is when we stop living. Let's ask our scientist forecasting the end of times what his plans are?

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
I think expecting humans to reverse the effects of global warming is a bit of a long shot to be honest, especially with the Industrial growth in China and India. Just take a look at how much you personally throw out a week, how many electrical applications you have running, then think of the billions on earth doing the same thing.

We have definitely gone past the point of no return, I havn't got kids and don't intend on having any, but it will be the next generation who really will see the problems their forfathers created.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   
I really wanted to jump in and get involved but everything good has been said...

So anyway here's an article from beforeitnews which highlights the story too.

______beforeitsnews/story/129/041/The_End_of_Times:_Do_Scientists_and_Fundamentalists_Concur.html

To remove already posted jazz.

These indigo children need to get their asses in gear!

[edit on 9-8-2010 by Big Raging Loner]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   
You can [potentially] save the planet and stop carbon pollution without the carbon-tax. How is not polluting your air with smelly, dirty, stinky, poisonous emissions a bad thing?

But we won't do that because humans can't cooperate well enough, there is no communication. Carbon tax is BS deliberately invented to make people actually WANT their pollution and to willingly drown in their own faeces. The "TPB" is proud of us, real proud, carbon tax or not.

But who am I kidding, we're going to kill each other before global warming even gets to have greater effect.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
We must secure ourselves and all our friends, relatives and associates.

Take them out of "society" at once!

We must sequestrate yourselves, consume NO energy, eliminate ALL waste and rely solely upon the beneficence of nature to survive.

There are mountain streams that will sustain us. Woodland hills to protect us (although these don't occur within much proximity.)

We must find a manageable area and draw sustenance for our families before it is too late.

Please hurry!

jw

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

On the other issue I will take your word for it that the lottery is evolution.
But still if a child does not have this trait, what difference do my actions make if said person was dead anyway due to DNA?

You have land able to support 100 people. (An arbitrary number, with no bearing on reality)

There are 50 people in a group on that land making their living. Natural climate change occurs and the land loses 40% of its carrying capacity for humans. In such a scenario, the humans can easily survive by cooperating, and limiting their growth, and managing their resources. And they do cooperate, because they have had plenty, and plenty tends to make people get along well.

You have the same piece of land, you have 150 people living on it. These 150 people are living at subsistence levels and having to steal resources from each other and from their neighbors land to make ends meet. And they are mining their non renewable resources (which further degrades their land) because the renewable resources are not enough to sustain the population. Natural climate change comes alone and the land loses 40% of its carrying capacity.

The group was already strained because of lack of resources and has bad relationships with its neighbors, and as starvation begins to loom, they begin fighting among themselves and with the neighbors. Many of them die, and the rest of the group is weakened by the indiscriminate nature of the killing. They lose their culture, and with it, their manual for "how to survive here" (which is what culture is for) and over time the group dies out.

Our actions, inaction, population, care for our resources, etc., all have a direct bearing on how the selective event plays out. For instance the black plague. If we had not been living in big huge filthy clusters, (cities) but instead were more spread out over the landscape, that selective event would have played out differently.

Our choices matter. It matters that we have been spreading the sources of food out away from population centers, so that we now rely on fuel to get food to our cities. It makes us more vulnerable. It matters that we have decreased variety in our food sources, which makes them more vulnerable. It matters that we have depleted wild stocks of food, (fisheries for example) so that we have little to fall back on if one type of food should no longer be viable, And it matters that our population has swelled to such numbers that nearly a billion of us already live at subsistence levels and we are already fighting over resources around the world, and degrading the land we rely on for food.

Its not as simple as "climate change" or "overpopulation" or "complex interdependence" or "violent competition for resources" or "lack of variation in our foods" or "depletion of non renewable resources." Any one of those things would stress our chances for survival as a species, and we are doing our damnedest to make sure we have the cards as stacked against ourselves as we can. Its no different from people individually managing their resources and number of family members poorly when times are good and having nothing to make it through tough times. Its foolish.

I dont mind losing the game of natural selection, if human beings just so happened to go extinct no matter how hard we tried to play the game well, so be it. What pisses me off is we are playing the game like idiots. And we dont need to. We have the intellectual capability, what we lack is the foresight and mastery over our own animal nature. (That brutish desire to just eat and procreate and acquire none of which are bad in moderation)

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
From the article:

There are two major differences between these doomsday criers. First, scientists base their conclusions on a systematic review of evidence in the real world

This isn't really true. The AGW scientist base their doomsday scanarios off PROJECTIONS based upon heavily massaged datasets that somewhere down the line may or may not originate in the real world.

Some of this "real world data" is also highly questionable. The the controversies about weather stations etc.

Much of this "real world data" is gone btw. as climate scientists have conveniently erased the raw data and have refused to disclose their data processing algorithms.

And of course much of it is pure conjecture (See Glaciergate, Amazongate etc.)

But even IF all the data was sound, we are still talking about PROJECTIONS. Computer models based on a limited dataset and a limited understanding of the staggering complexity that is the earth ecosystem.

So can we please give it a rest with the fearmongering and hysteria?

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Jess_Undefined

The end is not near for humanity. The end of 3rd dimensional living on earth is near. Sure, most of humanity won't see the 5th dimension, but humanity will not end.

These 'scientists' are just peddling more fear for everyone to cringe about. If anything is happening climate wise, the earth is heading for another mini ice age. So we need to forget about oil and get out our thinking caps to generate new energy to stay warm.

[edit on 9-8-2010 by blujay]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
So many earth systems near a tipping point. A west coast shelf is near sliding into the ocean. A rift in the crust is spewing helium from 30 miles inside the earth. Magnetic fields are weakening. Sunspot activity is increasing. Our spinning core is slowing down. "The earth will wobble to & fro as a drunkard," says the Bible...

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
"i drove a golf 1.8 litre it saves the planet. esp at how many tires i could run through with all the torque i can't keep out of."

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
there about 20 different ways the entire world could die right now and i think global warming is probably way way way way down on the bottom of that list

if it is true it is not an immediate danger

id be more worried about imminent world war or a gamma ray burst or a super volcanoe

moosevernel

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
What is completely worrisome is the fact that there is no conclusive evidence to support the cause. Only theories.

Be it solar, geological, man-made or a combination there are some very concerning events currently happening and a longer term trend that clearly shows we are indeed headed toward catastrophic times.. End of times?

Who knows really?

Fires in Russia are claiming an estimated 700 lives per day, extreme temps in regions of Russia where in normal summer conditions no air conditioning is required, and it is extremely hot and dry now, and much of it is burning. Millions of fish are dying near Bolivia for some unknown reason, massive ice shelf broke free from Greenland.... I could go on and on...

Regardless of the debatable causes, the facts don't lie. The planet is warming up at an alarming rate. Too much so for there to be a simple solitary explanation.

Interesting perhaps dangerous times lie ahead, only time will tell how near we are to the "end".

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Jess_Undefined

I guess this means I have 10 more years left to party hardy!

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by packinupngoin

ill drink to that

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jess_Undefined
It was the title on the Huffington Post article.

Anyways the whole global warming skit, who knows, but obviously these scientists are taking it pretty seriously if they think were going to be effected by it "very soon." The article is interesting but I guess just take it with a grain of salt.

Never ending overblown fearmongering from advocates of these things. Check out my currently front page thread to take a load off:
The Global Meltdown of FEAR: Eliminated by 60+ visual aids.

As with global warming, nobody really knows anything. To speak in staunch absolutes is absurd at best.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
After reading the article in its entirety(sp?) I got to say the denial is just brimming over.
I mean here you have a journalist who investigates claims from well established scientists and claims from money hungry evangalists. He does state the views of the scientists but then the article becomes this religion bashing fest. I feel he should have put a little more thought into this article, but I guess thats why it is on the Huffington Post and not elsewhere. It felt a bit like a blog...with various aspects of it being skewed towards the authors pov.

I think it is easier(at least for me) to not think about it and hope that scientists will find a solution, but when they're no longer talking about preventative solutions ... it gets scary.

The author says that some scientists are debating whether we are talking extinction or just a castatropic event...any actual scientist want to speak on this?

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Welcome to the future...

Morgues fill as deaths double in sweltering Moscow By Moscow correspondent Norman Hermant, staff Updated 4 hours 7 minutes ago Smog blankets Moscow landmarks Deadly: Smoke blankets The Kremlin (Reuters: Alexander Natruskin) * Related Story: Russian bushfires threaten nuclear plant * Related Story: Toxic smog blankets Moscow as fires rage * Related Story: Russian fires could hit Aussie beer bill New revelations suggest Moscow's record heatwave and heavy smoke from forest fires may be far deadlier than Russia has admitted so far. Extreme heat and heavy smoke from forest and peat fires has doubled Moscow's death rate, according to the head of the city's health department, Andrei Seltsovsky. Mr Seltsovsky has revealed about 700 people are dying a day, which is twice the usual number.

www.abc.net.au...

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by rusethorcain

* FACT: Air conditioning and heating account for almost half of electricity use in the average American home.

Let's get this straight... let's say we will experience warming again, yet you oppose people having AC in summer, and heating during winter?....

And btw...China has surpassed the U.S. in CO2 emissions, and in pollution, in fact China has the most polluted cities, rivers, lakes, and ocean fronts in the world... Not to mention the fact that China, Russia, India, and several other countries have stated that they will NEVER accept any sort of cap in their emissions...

* FACT: Climate change is linked to stronger hurricanes, more drought and increased coral deaths from bleaching.

One of the many so called "facts" which is not true...

The fact is that it has been demonstrated that a doubling of atmospheric CO2 MIGHT increase a hurricane's wind a whooping 2%.... which means a hurricane with 100mph winds MIGHT have it's strength increased by a whooping 2 mph.... OMG THE WORLD IS GOING TO END!!!!....

* FACT: Climate change is linked to an increase in disease-carrying pests that lead to the increased spread of diseases such as dengue fever, malaria, lyme disease and West Nile virus.

Another so called fact which is once again not true....

I wonder why there have been endemics, and pandemics also during winter in the past?...

First of all it is a fact that humans tend to live longer lives, and better lives in warmer periods. Not to mention that harvests increase also during warmer periods.

Second of all, i have to wonder why the poster does not blame for example water vapor/water, since it is a known fact that diseases spread more during times when there is more precipitation, than during times of drought...

Third of all, many diseases occur because of "LACK OF SANITATION", and they would be avoided if people would take sanitation more seriously...

Do you have any idea of how for example Nostradamus fought the plague?... Yes, he was a doctor... He advised people to take baths, take long walks, and drink vitamins from petal roses and other natural ingredients he would make a tea from, but in general it is a lack of sanitation that causes diseases to spread...

I have to wonder why the poster does not blame forests, and marhslands, since it is known that mosquitoes, and pests that spread such diseases thrive in such environments....

No...instead the poster wants to put the blame entirely on warm climate....

Bias anyone?....

Sorry, but you have not presented facts, only biased opinion...

In general, and this is a KNOWN FACT, human, and even many species populations THRIVE in warm cycles...

As for species gong extinct?... IT HAS HAPPENED FOR BILLIONS OF YEARS...

BTW, I am not advocating neither the destruction of forests, marshlands, or the eradication of water, which is also one of the main reasons why temperatures increase in a warming cycle...

The warmer it gets, the more water vapor an atmosphere contains, which increases the warming hence there is a feedback effect. This feedback effect has been erroneously attributed to CO2, when in fact it is water vapor which is the main cause for warming from all other greenhouse gases.

CO2, as it exists on Earth's atmosphere does not cause the exaggerated warming claimed by the AGW "believers"....

[edit on 9-8-2010 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse

* FACT: Air conditioning and heating account for almost half of electricity use in the average American home.

Let's get this straight... let's say we will experience warming again, yet you oppose people having AC, and heating during winter?....

* FACT: Climate change is linked to stronger hurricanes, more drought and increased coral deaths from bleaching.

One of the many so called "facts" which is not true...

The fact is that it has been demonstrated that a doubling of atmospheric CO2 MIGHT increase a hurricane's wind a whooping 2%.... which means a hurricane with 100mph winds MIGHT have it's strength increased by a whooping 2 mph.... OMG THE WORLD IS GOING TO END!!!!....

* FACT: Climate change is linked to an increase in disease-carrying pests that lead to the increased spread of diseases such as dengue fever, malaria, lyme disease and West Nile virus.

Another so called fact which is once again not true....

I wonder why there have been endemics, and pandemics also during winter in the past?...

First of all it is a fact that humans tend to live longer lives, and better lives in warmer periods. Not to mention that harvests increase also during warmer periods.

Second of all, i have to wonder why the poster does not blame for example water vapor/water, since it is a known fact that diseases spread more during times when there is more precipitation, than during times of drought...

Third of all, many diseases occur because of "LACK OF SANITATION", and they would be avoided if people would take sanitation more seriously...

Do you have any idea of how for example Nostradamus fought the plague?... Yes, he was a doctor... He advised people to take baths, take long walks, and drink vitamins from petal roses and other natural ingredients he would make a tea from, but in general it is a lack of sanitation that causes diseases to spread...

I have to wonder why the poster does not blame forests, and marhslands, since it is known that mosquitoes, and pests that spread such diseases thrive in such environments....

No...instead the poster wants to put the blame entirely on warm climate....

Bias anyone?....

Sorry, but you have not presented facts, only biased opinion...

In general, and this is a KNOWN FACT, human, and even many species populations THRIVE in warm cycles...

As for species gong extinct?... IT HAS HAPPENED FOR BILLIONS OF YEARS...

BTW, I am not advocating neither the destruction of forests, marshlands, or the eradication of water, which is also one of the main reasons why temperatures increase in a warming cycle...

The warmer it gets, the more water vapor an atmosphere contains, which increases the warming hence there is a feedback effect. This feedback effect has been erroneously attributed to CO2, when in fact it is water vapor which is the main cause for warming from all other greenhouse gases.

CO2, as it exists on Earth's atmosphere does not cause the exaggerated warming claimed by the AGW "believers"....

[edit on 9-8-2010 by ElectricUniverse]

i don't remember saying people should go without air conditioning. All those quotes were from a link provided in the post. But I live in Florida. I turn my AC down to 80 when I leave the house. If everyone were aware and not misled...they would do the same and make a difference. This is only one modification people might make were there not such denial and actual encouragement to waste as much as we can. Make, use, toss, make use toss. Even the Indians didn't do that or Europeans would not have wanted to move in.
The coral is bleaching. I saw this in another link after leaving the one offered in the post. I notice when it is an exact repetition of a story and this was another report altogether. I will find it for you but I am scanning a video for UFO's right now and would rather not.
I could not venture into the Pine Bush area of my hometown when I visited because of the tics which carry lyme disease. They see a lot of UFO's there since it is primeval forest.
I lived in the Virgin Islands and Dengue was almost unheard of but there was an out break in Puerto Rico we watched because it was hemorrhagic dengue. You bleed from all your orifices. You also waste away, literally. When I saw this in the link it sort of hit a truthful note. Hurricanes cause an inordinate number of still water pools and washes away pesticides that have been applied. Mosquito flourish.
Dengue has jumped from Puerto Rico and reached Florida.

Well when you don't freeze to death I suppose that will extend your life. Some bum once said "It is easier to starve in a warm climate than a cold one" and studies of Tibetan Monks show an extremely sparse diet extends life dramatically, so longevity has little to do with "harvests"
Moisture spreads germs... so poster will say that. And sanitation is a problem. Poster believes hygiene is the key to perfect health though there is profit in pills so this is sort of a secret...

I posted videos dealing with the aspects and clear warnings and indicators of man made climate change. Somebody spent an awful lot of money to produce the things and they are not the first but last in a long line of warnings coming from around the 50's and 60's.

Don't believe it. I can't make you.
Just try not to breathe cause your using up my air.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
To make my post as short as possible... i laugh at this.

[edit on 10-8-2010 by drkid]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join