It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists count all species of fish in ocean - 80% more UNKNOWN!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Earlier this week, the census of marine life was published, concluding that there are more than 230,000 species in our oceans. And for every marine species known to science, at least four have yet to be discovered.

LINK

This is amazing! For every species we KNOW OF, FOUR MORE have yet to be discovered! I can only IMAGINE what weird and wonderful creatures are down there!

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
[Thanks for the positive topic
. Been reading todays posts, most have been a bit depressing. Any idea what that fish on the beach is called? Think I've seen a picture of something similar but not so dried out. Definatally from the deep though.

img][atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fc41fd86d61f.jpg[/img]

[edit on 4-8-2010 by JMech]

[edit on 4-8-2010 by JMech]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by bestideayet

If one of those big toothed things jumped in my fishing boat, I would proudly admit i would probably cry and run. Run where only people with water resistant shoes and amazing powers have ran. On the water. (Inside joke for those who get it, not very funny but oh well)

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Sounds like an exciting prospect! Truly beautiful and bizarre creature there are to behold and getting an inventory is essential.

I started a thread on the census effort of gathering and centralizing the info. There is a couple of vids too showing some of the wondrous sea life.

Record Breaking Sea Creature Census Released
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Peace

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
What I want to know is how they have worked out that there are four species yet to be discovered for every one we already know about.

If they know how many there are to be discovered, then surely that indicates someone somewhere has done a count already....

It seems like a silly figure... why not ten more to be discovered for every one we know about, or two, or thirty?

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by bestideayet

Attached pic is a old known hoax... well not even a hoax, just a proof of how far a lie can go on the internets.

As for the "how they know how much they don't know", it is based on ratio of finding new species (eg every 5th found fish is a new specie). Since the ratio hasn't changed much yet, as one would expect, it means there's a lot more to find out.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by SassyCat

I was just about to say the same thing. Why would the OP post a known hoax pic in a thread about a legitimate scientific study?

top topics

join