It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meat of cloned cow offspring in UK food chain, FSA says

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
We've probably been eating them for years but what worries me is what comes next? Recalls? Or will it be a more public announcement asking public to dispose of endless lists of produce therefore creating an ideal starting point for something else to be introduced. ?

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Discotech

My wife always calls me the ungodly heathen
so no worries about me being religious!

By the look of things you people in the UK should take a good look at your meat:

Cloned cow may have scores of descendants - Holstein UK

I for one do not want to eat this and I also have a right to know about it.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fett Pinkus
This is totally outragous to say the least!

Yes it is, but as you can see, not many care. That's why these things happen.

It is a covert experiment on humans.

The same goes for GM foods. Most places they are not even allowed to put "GM free" on natural products.

Because it's important for the experiment that people don't know.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 03:10 AM
link   
I really don't know what the UK is worried about, the cooking over there is so atrocious it wouldn't matter if the beef was cloned or not, it still wouldn't be edible.

Eel Pie?
Pickled eggs?
And I swear on my life I am not kidding Pigeon.
Not to mention Haggis.
Blood Pudding.

Cloned Cow is the least of y'all's worries.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
I really don't know what the UK is worried about, the cooking over there is so atrocious it wouldn't matter if the beef was cloned or not, it still wouldn't be edible.

Eel Pie?
Pickled eggs?
And I swear on my life I am not kidding Pigeon.
Not to mention Haggis.
Blood Pudding.

Cloned Cow is the least of y'all's worries.

This from a nation of junk food eaters!!

I should invite you over to my house sometime.. This was last week’s menu....

Sunday - Roast Beef, Yorkshire pudding, long stem broccoli, carrots, roast potatoes, Mashed Celeriac, Real Gravy, Horse Radish sauce. Followed by Pecan pie or Lemon Morang. Glass of red wine.

Monday - Spaghetti Bolognaise, Parmigiano cheese, Morrison’s best tear and share garlic bread, glass of red wine.

Tuesday - Beef Stroganoff, on a bed of wild rice, Glass of red wine and Apple Turnover for desert

Wednesday - Thai Green Curry Chicken - Thai rice - chocolate fudge cake and ice cream, Glass of Red Wine

Thursday - Salmon or breaded dill Cod fillet, Fat chips (large fries lol) peas and tartar sauce, followed by key lime pie.

Friday - Chilli Con Carne with a nacho and cheese / fresh Jalapeno topping with Rice. Glass of Red Wine.

Saturday - Sirloin Steak or Rib eye with Steak house chips, Chestnut mushrooms, petits pois, borderline caramelised onions, followed by Either hot choc brownie in choc sauce with ice cream or Choc fudge cake and ice cream.

Which day would you like to come on??

Oh and by the way we live in England!!

Korg.

[edit on 5-8-2010 by Korg Trinity]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Korg Trinity

I visited England a couple of times, I am not saying that everything y'all eat is crap, I am just saying, some of your more traditional dishes aren't exactly argument material against cloned cow meat.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   

I visited England a couple of times, I am not saying that everything y'all eat is crap, I am just saying, some of your more traditional dishes aren't exactly argument material against cloned cow meat.

I think all countries have traditional dishes that are well, not exactly palatable by today’s standards. I could tell you a story or two from my many visits to the pacific rim.

And your point is well foundered and so you are agreeing with me... I just wish people would look into what cloning actually is and the issues before they have a knee jerk reaction.

Though if you don't like picked onions, you should try balsamic vinegar onions, they are the BEST!!!

Korg.

[edit on 5-8-2010 by Korg Trinity]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   
By Natural Law, it is about the law of gravity, laws of physics, laws of nature, you know, all of the laws that make everything behave like it should. Natural Law is the base of knowledge of science, medicine, human law.

I do not condone anything that goes against these laws. I believe that the ends do not justify the means, I believe in the sacredness of all life, I am against factory farms, any industry that is cruel and self serving.

When we start acting like we are in charge of the universe there are going to be ramifications.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starbug3MY
By Natural Law, it is about the law of gravity, laws of physics, laws of nature, you know, all of the laws that make everything behave like it should. Natural Law is the base of knowledge of science, medicine, human law.

I do not condone anything that goes against these laws. I believe that the ends do not justify the means, I believe in the sacredness of all life, I am against factory farms, any industry that is cruel and self-serving.

When we start acting like we are in charge of the universe there are going to be ramifications.

This comment demonstrates a serious lack of understanding and is the sort of thing I would expect to hear from the very religious.

It is not possible to break the laws of physics as such; if a law is incorrect then a new law is formed to encompass new findings.

So exactly what law of Physics does cloning violate??

Open your eyes, do some research and stop sprouting total nonsense.

Korg.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   

You do like your Red wine

On the side note Im preparing deer strap back just now for Saturday when the in laws are visting.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Cloned animals have some health problem. Cloning is not quite mastered. So it might represent a threat to customers.

[edit on 5-8-2010 by ickylevel]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   

You do like your Red wine

On the side note Im preparing deer strap back just now for Saturday when the in laws are visting.

I don't like gamy foods, though I've never tried deer strap back before. I love Red Wine, Partial to Bordeaux, Rioja, malbec.

Originally posted by ickylevel
Cloned animals have some health problem. Cloning is not quite mastered. So it might represent a threat to customers.

[edit on 5-8-2010 by ickylevel]

Not at all, do you honestly think that the DNA of a cow has anything to do with how it will be digested?

Be more worried about handling your lettuce after de-skinning your raw free-range chicken

Korg.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Really? I've NEVER eaten any of those things, but I am told there is good eating on a pigeon provided it's a woodland variety and not the town ones. Squirrel is apparently quite tasty too, plus it's in good supply thanks to all those pesky Grey ones running about.

If that's really the impression you got from British cuisine, then you can't have ventured much further than the Old Vic in the East End. The UK is more than London, you know.

There is some excellent British meals out there, the one's you picked we don't even eat ourselves!

EDIT: Tell a lie, I do love pickled onions. I always have a jar in my fridge on standby should I get the "munchies" or wish to ward of the advances of the missus as I play Bad Company 2...

[edit on 5/8/10 by stumason]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   

I for one do not want to eat this and I also have a right to know about it.

Can you list your reasons for not wanting to eat this meat so we can better understand ?

What exactly are your fears of cloned meat as opposed to non-cloned meat when they are both idetical ?

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

If that's really the impression you got from British cuisine, then you can't have ventured much further than the Old Vic in the East End. The UK is more than London, you know.

Oh I know, I went from as far south as Salisbury, to as far north as York.

There were some good things to eat, but, you know, when in Rome, got to try the traditional dishes right? Can't go to Chicago without getting Pizza right?

So, what's the deal with eating cloned meat? I don't get it. Hell, I am confused about the sheep with spray paint on em over there, just figure that's a don't ask don't tell deal.

Like others have said, genetic engineering has been done through selective breeding and animal husbandry for years.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
im not sure if this info is accurate.
cloning a cow is too expensive to just eat the meat.

from what i understand....
skin cells taken from a cow are placed into an egg which has been emptied of its original embryo cells. the egg is then zapped with a small electrical charge which resests the skin cells and turns it to embryo cells.
we then have a cow made from only one other cow.

if a cloned cow is healthy enough to have offspring then the meat is "clean"

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Here's a question

Is the offspring of a cloned cow considered cloned as well even though they were created naturally ?

And then it leads on to further things like are humans who were conceived via artificial means natural humans or not ?

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Discotech

Sorry for not replying sooner but I had some pc problems.
To answer your questions:

A 2004 study from the US National Academies published a report concluding that the FDA’s (America’s FSA) and other regulators’ decision-making processes for assessing food safety were flawed and outdated. The report said the methods and techniques used to make their assessments were not sophisticated enough to predict and identify unintended effects from genetically engineered and cloned food.

In other words there have been no studies that follow the cloned meat from production to the plate to see if it actually is causing any problems. And the longterm effects are obviously completely unknown.

Source

So to everyone in this thread saying its safe, is it really safe? How do you really know?

[edit on 7-8-2010 by Fett Pinkus]

[edit on 7-8-2010 by Fett Pinkus]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   

I can't argue with that to be honest, there are some strange old dishes about over here, though I'd have to say most of the strange ones are Scottish, ever heard of deep fried mars bars?

To my American cousins, according to the below article you already have cloned meat in your food chain, or at least offspring from cloned meat and this article is from way back in 2008.

www.newsweek.com...

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Fett Pinkus

The thing is, you're not eating cloned cow meat, it's offspring from the cloned cow so it's a different beast isn't it ?

At the end of the day, as long as the meat has proteins, minerals etc and tastes good when its cooked then is it really something we should be panicing over ?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join