It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meat of cloned cow offspring in UK food chain, FSA says

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
How are we supposed to know if its really alright? Just beacuse a federal Agency says so then it is ok? They can also be wrong at the end of the day.

This should be thoroughly researched before the meat hits the counter to be sold.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Fett Pinkus

Yet I bet if a federal agency said it was bad for you, you would trust them and never touch it. I love the irony of these things and maybe if I'm wrong about my previous comment you can bet that there's thousands who would apply those double standards of "The feds are telling us it's good, they must be trying to kill us and The feds are telling us it's bad, they must be looking out for our wellbeing"

Look none of us are going to live forever, there's so many things out there in the world that are supposedly bad for our health and going to kill us that I really don't think that meat from the offspring of a cloned cow should be something to worry about

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
How is it outrageous? Its just cloning. Another way to make the egg divide! Its just a cow.
Though the cow probably wishes we were all vegan and he was still frolicking in the fields.

I don't understand however, why they're cloning cows. There as another thread like this about milk. It doesnt make sense to clone cows. There are many cows in the world.

One day,they will clone body organs and parts needed, not the whole body, thus it wouldnt be murder of a living being, for clones are just twins, living beings, with souls. And also, muscles needed for meat without having to end lives, to eat.

Of course ,this will be when we have the venus project, no leaders over our head, and complete equality amongst a very well cared for and loved population so that everyone has access to these advancements because if it was just for the wealthy we would have to serve them walking papers.

[edit on 7-8-2010 by Unity_99]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   

How are we supposed to know if its really alright? Just beacuse a federal Agency says so then it is ok? They can also be wrong at the end of the day.

Because clones are just twins. So the cow is just a cow. Your clone would be a small little twin born years after your birth, with a full soul.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

not exactly a twin as the cells used to create the clone have aged and adapted to the various conditions of the cow before being placed into an egg.

i agree with everything else you said.

it is still in every way a cow but because it is unatural people find it uneasy to accept.
i would eat a clone....... never thought i'd say that sentence.

[edit on 9-8-2010 by listerofsmeg]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by listerofsmeg

Only the DNA is used to clone an animal, which would be unchanged from the moment of conception of the original animal, bar any defects or disease which would bhave ruled out the animals suitability for cloning in the first place.

[edit on 9/8/10 by stumason]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Korg Trinity
I don't know what the fuss is all about.

The fuss isn't so much about cloned meat. The fuss is labeling the bloody package so the buyer knows what he's buying and can decide whether or not to eat it. That way people like you can stock up on beef cloned from 10th generation clones and enjoy. While others can keep eating uncloned meat and keep an eye on people like you to see if something starts growing out of your forehead.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by soleprobe

Why would something "grow out of our foreheads" though? If you are happy to eat the original animal, then why not it's twin?

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

To clone an animal the nucleus from a donor adult cell (somatic cell) is transfered to an egg that has no nucleus, when the egg starts to divide the egg is implanted into the uterus of a surrogate mother.
Such clones are not strictly identical since the somatic cells may contain mutations in their nuclear DNA.
a somatic cell is any cell from the body (hair, skin, brain etc)
DNA (Deoxyribonucleic acid) are the genetic instructions for the creation of cells and their purpose.

there is no way to clone an exact twin perfectly.

thats just a simplified version of what is done for cloning.

[edit on 9-8-2010 by listerofsmeg]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Thank you, Einstein, for the patronisation there. There is no need to "simplify" the way you did, I am quite aware of what cloning involves and what DNA is...

Given the close relationships between domesticated animals, even from different herds, as they are often sired from a small selection of breeding stock, then there is probably very little genetic difference between the animals we eat now without cloning.

Also, as stated earlier in the thread, we have been engineering animals to suit our whims for millenia anyway so I really do not see the fuss or why I would have something growing out of my head for eating a facsimile of an animal you are happy to eat.

Let's put it this way..

You have a Banana tree.. You are happy to eat the Banana's growing on that tree. You take a cutting of that tree and plant it, nurture it and grow a new tree.

This new tree is a clone of the original, although maybe with some minor genetic differences as a result of environmental factors.

Would you eat Banana's off the new tree? Of course you would...

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   

I agree the public has a right to know what they are getting, but hey they don't tell us about the hormones and other chemicals they put into the meat and other products either. Don't worry tho - the cloned cow is exactly the same as the cow it was cloned from.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   

i didn't mean to sound patronising, i just wanted to explain that the cells are used, not only DNA.
i am also aware that cloning has been done for a long time as clone comes from the greek word clon meaning branch where you can grow a plant from a branch.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Ok, no problem.

Would you eat the Banana's then?

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   

already have. most bananas we grow are seedless

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   

There you go then, it's the same thing. You'll happily eat a "cloned" banana, but not a "cloned" cow....

I am not sure what you reference to seedless bananas has to do with anything though, I was on about taking a cutting off one Banana tree and growing another, then eating the fruit of that tree.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Why would something "grow out of our foreheads" though?

I said "if".

Originally posted by stumason
If you are happy to eat the original animal, then why not it's twin?

If you want to eat clones then enjoy. And for me clones are not twins, although that will be the argument used to convince people to eat them. People should not be tricked into eating clones by not labeling the package like they do with GMOs.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   

those bananas that are seedles are unable to reproduce so cloning of banana trees has been done for ages.
i already said i would eat a clone.
i don't find the thought of eating cloned meat uneasy at all.
i would even eat a cow-shark hybrid if given the opportunity.
we eat to survive and if cloning can mean more people can eat, im happy.

Edit - ha ha replied to myself

[edit on 10-8-2010 by listerofsmeg]

<< 1  2   >>

join