It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa scientists braced for 'solar tsunami' to hit earth

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

Four of those links are nothing more than abstracts.

Have you bought the full articles, or are you just basing your opinions on the abstract, pretty feeble if that's the case.

The figures don't lie, they aren't feeble, they're FACT.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1d47293fcfd0.gif[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/961c8e115235.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse

Originally posted by Chadwickus

And your point is...?

The point passed whistling over your head...

Don't worry, stick with wolverine.

I ask again, what's your point?

What do your abstracts tell you about these 12 earthquakes that have occurred in the last 12 hours?

Can you clarify without the ad hominem attacks?

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   

The figures don't lie, they aren't feeble, they're FACT.

WOW...this is what happens when you take Phage for your teacher, you make up your own BS and then claim it is fact...

Please do show me where it says there is a linear correlation between the Sun's activity and earthquakes?...

You need to understand what you are discussing in order to discuss it in an intelligent manner....

If you would have stop and read, and maybe re-read a few times even the abstracts of those "peer-reviewed research papers" i showed, you would have noticed that they are talking about VARIATIONS in solar activity alongside other factors affecting earthquakes activity on Earth...

What that means is that VARIATIONS in solar activity EITHER up or down affects earthquake activities...

It has also been found by "real scientists" that variations in the cosmic ray fluxes influences and causes earthquakes on Earth.

When the Sun's activities are down, it means the earth defenses, and in general the Solar System's defenses are down which allows more high energy particles, plasma, gases, etc to enter the Solar System and this increase affects the dynamics of the solar system, which means it also affects the Earth in many ways, from affecting the Earth's climate, to earthquake and volcanic activity...

But I am almost certain this is just going to fly past your head and you would not be any wiser, more so with your attitute regarding topics like this one....

[edit on 4-8-2010 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Can you clarify without the ad hominem attacks?

If you would have asked in a civil manner i would have responded in kind. But instead you tried to be a smarta.. when you didn't even understand what you were reading...

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse
WOW...this is what happens when you take Phage for your teacher, you make up your own BS and then claim it is fact...

And that's the crux isn't it?

Phage-envy.

Please do show me where it says there is a linear correlation between the Sun's activity and earthquakes?...

You need to understand what you are discussing in order to discuss it in an intelligent manner....

If you would have stop and read, and maybe re-read a few times even the abstracts of those "peer-reviewed research papers" i showed you would have noticed that they are talking about VARIATIONS in solar activity alongside other factors affect earthquakes activity on Earth...

What that means is that VARIATIONS in solar activity EITHER up or down affects earthquake activities...

It has also been found by "real scientists" that variations in the cosmic ray fluxes influences and causes earthquakes on Earth.

When the Sun's activities are down, it means the earth defenses, and in general the Solar System's defenses are down which allows more high energy particles, plasma gases, etc to enter the Solar System and this increase affects the dynamics of the solar system which means it also affects the Earth in many ways, from affecting the Earth's climate, to earthquake and volcanic activity...

So... earthquakes should increase during solar minimum?

Why then, are you pointing out at how many earthquakes we've had in the last few hours?

And why are you citing sources stating:

The next maximum of seismic and volcanic activity with very high amplitude for the compression zones of Earth is forecasted for the period 2012-2015.

So basically, whether it's a solar minimum, solar maximum or somewhere in between, earthquakes still happens.

But I am almost certian this is just going to fly past your head and you would not be any wiser, more so with your attitute regarding topics like this one....

Well it all seems a bit all over the place.

I'm reading things like "maximum quake frequency occurs at times of moderately high and fluctuating solar activity" and "It has been established that the maximum in the number of earthquakes directly correlates with the instant of a sudden increase in the solar wind velocity." which suggests that earthquakes occur during active solar cycles, then there are comments from your other sources saying "Earthquakes occur frequently around the minimum years of solar activity." and you state above that earthquakes occur from inactive solar cycles letting in cosmic particles and the like.

Do YOU know what you're talking about?

[edit on 4/8/10 by Chadwickus]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Wait until the really big ones come, jeez!

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
For example.

Observations about the relationship between seismic activity and astronomical phenomena are discussed. First, after investigating the seismic data (magnitude 7.0 and over) with the method of superposed epochs it is found that world seismicity evidently increased after the occurring of novae with apparent magnitude brighter than 2.2. Second, a great many earthquakes of magnitude 7.0 and over occurred in the 13th month after two of the largest ground level solar cosmic ray events (GLEs). The causes of three high level phenomena of global seismic activity in 1918-1965 can be related to these, and it is suggested that according to the information of large GLE or bright nova predictions of the times of global intense seismic activity can be made.

adsabs.harvard.edu...

Jebus I really hate these changes...we can't properly give credit and show which scientists wrote these peer-reviewed papers...

Here is another more recent research work that corroborates what I am stating.

Abstract Based on a comparison of the cases of a decrease in the ratio of A n/A μ (where A n and A μ are the amplitudes of the diurnal variations of the neutron and hard cosmic ray components) to the instants of the Earth crossing the neutral IMF, it has been indicated that the process of such crossing is most effective for stimulating large destructive earthquakes with a magnitude of M ≥ 6. The 11-year period in the cyclicity of the occurrence probability of the above earthquakes has been revealed.
www.springerlink.com...

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   

And that's the crux isn't it?

Phage-envy.

... nope... but he likes to do the same thing you just did, cherry-pick a couple of graphs and then claim it corroborate his claims when it doesn't...

Those graphs you showed are the same ones Phage TRIED to use in a thread he started CLAIMING, like you do, that there is no correlation between solar activity and earthquakes, despite the fact that dozens upon dozens of "REAL SCIENTISTS" disagree with both your claims...

Both of you either don't understand, or know it but don't care that the graph you showed would only be correct if the effect was direct...

Which in case you don't understand what a linear or direct correlation is, it means when you are trying to correlate high values of one variable with the high values of another variable, and also the low values of one variable with the low values of the other variable..

If you still can't understand the above what it means is that both of you are trying to claim that in order for the solar activity to affect seismic activity on Earth their values must correlate and plot along a graph the same way... this is nothing but a RED HERRING because the effect is not direct/linear as I already explained... and as those scientists I quoted also explain.

So... earthquakes should increase during solar minimum?

Is your memory that bad?...

Space radiation hits record high

Now, the influx of galactic cosmic rays into our solar system has reached a record high. Measurements by NASA's Advanced Composition Explorer (ACE) spacecraft indicate that cosmic rays are 19 per cent more abundant than any previous level seen since space flight began a half century ago."The space era has so far experienced a time of relatively low cosmic ray activity," says Richard Mewaldt of Caltech, who is a member of the ACE team. "We may now be returning to levels typical of past centuries."

www.newscientist.com...

Surprise In Earth's Upper Atmosphere: Mode Of Energy Transfer From The Solar Wind

www.sciencedaily.com
"Its like something else is heating the atmosphere besides the sun. This discovery is like finding it got hotter when the sun went down," said Larry Lyons, UCLA professor of atmospheric and oceanic sciences and a co-author of the research, which is in press in two companion papers in the Journal of Geophysical Research.

Further down on the article you can read the following

"We all have thought for our entire careers — I learned it as a graduate student — that this energy transfer rate is primarily controlled by the direction of the interplanetary magnetic field," Lyons said. "The closer to southward-pointing the magnetic field is, the stronger the energy transfer rate is, and the stronger the magnetic field is in that direction. If it is both southward and big, the energy transfer rate is even bigger."

However, Lyons, Kim and their colleagues analyzed radar data that measure the strength of the interaction by measuring flows in the ionosphere, the part of Earth's upper atmosphere ionized by solar radiation. The results surprised them.

"Any space physicist, including me, would have said a year ago there could not be substorms when the interplanetary magnetic field was staying northward, but that's wrong," Lyons said. "Generally, it's correct, but when you have a fluctuating interplanetary magnetic field, you can have substorms going off once per hour.

"Heejeong used detailed statistical analysis to prove this phenomenon is real. Convection in the magnetosphere and ionosphere can be strongly driven by these fluctuations, independent of the direction of the interplanetary magnetic field."

www.sciencedaily.com...

Why then, are you pointing out at how many earthquakes we've had in the last few hours?

Because this event is a bit different from other cmes, perhaps if you would have seen the large magnetic filament that collapsed at the same time the solar flare occurred you would understand why there were so many earthquakes from yesterday night to today in the morning.

The Chilean earthquake which occurred not too long ago coincided with the collapse of another magnetic filament.

If you were even remotely familiar with the law of conservation of energy you would know that energy doesn't just dissapear, energy interacts with other forms of energy and even with matter causing effects like...earthquakes.

And why are you citing sources stating:

The next maximum of seismic and volcanic activity with very high amplitude for the compression zones of Earth is forecasted for the period 2012-2015.

So basically, whether it's a solar minimum, solar maximum or somewhere in between, earthquakes still happens.

Do YOU know what you're talking about?

Do I know what I am talking about?... Yes I do.

I know that when there is an increase in energy that energy does affect the Solar System, and Earth.

BTW, i even tried to explain it before but don't you understand that when the Sun's activity goes down it allows more cosmic rays to enter the Solar System and it is this increase in cosmic rays, plasma and other charged particles which affects the Solar System and Earth?

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Looks like more solar activity coming:

spaceweather.com...

GEOMAGNETIC STORM--MORE TO COME? The solar storm of August 1st sent two CMEs toward Earth. The first one arrived yesterday, August 3rd, sparking mild but beautiful Northern Lights over Europe and North America (see below). The second CME is still en route. NOAA forecasters estimate a 35% chance of major geomagnetic storms when the cloud arrives on August 4th or 5th. High-latitude sky watchers should remain alert for auroras.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c2d6fcef91d8.gif[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/688d87610f8a.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Even if theses currents CME seems to have few impacts on our current lives, you can evaluate the strength by watching the graphs :

Electron Flux

Kp Index - Major Indicator of the Geomagnetic Activity

And the HF Progration is currently still impacted by the first CME

HF Propagation on Aug 04 0606 UTC
- Solar flux: 81 - no change
- A Index: 16 - no change
- K Index: 4 - decreasing
- Sunspots: 13
- Forecast: Disturbed
Conditions :
- < 10MHz: Poor
- 10-20MHz: Very poor
- 20-30MHz: Very poor

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Would another planet entering our solar system cause all of these changes to happen? it`s just i believe i have located the planet.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Oh and btw Chad, sudden variations themselves have a more pronounced effect.

For example, the Sun's activity decreases which means the earth's magnetosphere also decreases in strength, and the heliosphere contracts towars the inner Solar System because of the weakening solar activity. If the Sun were to suddenly increase in activity this would cause more pronounced effects because the Solar System defenses, and the Earth's defenses are down.

BTW, let me show you something else.

A number of episodes of sharp geomagnetic field variations (in both intensity and direction), lasting on the order of a century, have been identified in archeomagnetic records from Western Eurasia and have been called "archeomagnetic jerks". These seem to correlate well with multi-decadal cooling episodes detected in the North Atlantic Ocean and Western Europe, suggesting a causal link between both phenomena. A possible mechanism could be a geomagnetic modulation of the cosmic ray flux that would control the nucleation rate of clouds. We wish to underline the remarkable coincidence between archeomagnetic jerks, cooling events in Western Europe and drought periods in tropical and sub-tropical regions of the northern hemisphere. The latter two can be interpreted in terms of global teleconnections among regional climates. It has been suggested that these climatic variations had caused major changes in the history of ancient civilizations, such as in Mesopotamia, which were critically dependent on water supply and particularly vulnerable to lower rainfall amounts. This is one of the foundations of "climate determinism". Our studies, which suggest a geomagnetic origin for at least some of the inferred climatic events, lead us to propose the idea of a "geomagnetic determinism" in the history of humanity.

adsabs.harvard.edu...

Civilizations have gone into chaos, conflict, economic troubles, and even wars because of variations in the magnetic field of the Earth, and the Sun, and these geomagnetic changes have caused Climate Changes many times in the past.

We have been going through a similar geomagnetic change, on Earth, and the Sun, as well as we know for a fact that the Solar System has entered recently a new region of the Local Interstellar Cloud which has been shown to have a very strong magnetic field also, and which of course has been affecting, and will continue to affect the Solar System and Earth until the Solar System moves out of this region of the LIC.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
So.........did anyone see the light show? I'm in New Orleans, so I didn't.....but I would love to see it if anyone recorded anything!

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by digit78

Yet you also have to take into acount the Earth's magnetic field which has been very weak, and has gotten weaker since 1840. There is also the fact that breaches have occurred in earth's magnetic field more frequently because of the weakening.

Ok, let me see how can I explain this.

Lets say that in two different days an event like the one that occurred yesterday in the Sun happens, but in one of those days the magnetic field of the Earth is weaker than the other.

Does the solar event has the same effects on both days, or would it be different one day from the other?

I am sure the awnser is clear.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

I was all set last night to try filiming with a contour HD and the clouds moved in just when it was getting dark. Might have another chance at it tonight if it clears up.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by The Undertaker]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

Your links...

Khalilov, et.al.:

It has been determined that in the period of solar activity increase (11-year cycles) there increase seismic and volcanic activities in the compression zone of Earth and at the same time there decreases the activity in the tension zones of Earth.
www.khalilov.biz... There are more earthquakes with high solar activity.

Gui-Qing:

It has been found that: (1) Earthquakes occur frequently around the minimum years of solar activity. Generally, the earthquake activities are relatively less during the peak value years of solar activity, some say, around the period when magnetic polarity in the solar polar regions is reversed.
www.springerlink.com... There are more earthquakes with less solar activity.

Wang:

The relationship between the length of the solar cycle, a good indicator of long-term change in solar activity, and natural disasters (drought, flood, and strong earthquakes) in China during the last 108 years is analyzed.
resources.metapress.com... It's not the amount of solar activity but it's the length of the solar cycle.

Every one of the links you posted come up with a different relationship. How can that be? Two researchers use two different techniques to analyze data and come up with opposite conclusions. I guess you can't lose when you look at it like that. But wait, it's not the level of solar activity, it's the length of the solar cycle. No, there is more activity when the solar cycle is in decline. No, there is more activity with solar fluctuation.

Pick a relationship. They can't all be right and some are are mutually exclusive.

[edit on 8/4/2010 by Phage]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
A stunning panoramic image of Lake Superior in Michigan taken by amateur photographer Shawn Malone of Marquette last night. Michigan was one of the US states which were lucky enough to get a full aurora borealis display last night as the solar tsunami disturbed the Earth's magnetic field

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Now it's the UK's chance tonight

I wish I could have seen that.

anyone have pictures?

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Norway, post by ziggy

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Nothing in the sky here.
Oh well.

My city is terrible for light pollution - one of the worst.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join