It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa scientists braced for 'solar tsunami' to hit earth

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

lol Phage...i can just visualise a timber wolf, grizzly bear and a beaver..all stargazing with a bottle of bud each..

Mod Note: Please Stay on Topic

[edit on Tue Aug 3 2010 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by union_jack

That's just my tropical-centric stereotyping kicking in.

It's now looking like the aurora may show up in the northern US, if the activity persists until night time.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I live in San Diego, Ca

I will be watching tonight

I know I wont see it, but I might see something.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

the complicated relationship between space weather and earth weather is often dismissed out of hand

when lightning is discharged into the upper atmoshere/space the energy has to go somewhere and this extra energy has some effect on the balence of capacitence of the earth

charged particals entering the poles effects the negitive and nuteral particals at the poles and causes vibrations of other particals causing light

but the exchange of energy involved in this light production uses negitive and nuteral particals and gas particals to disapate the energy

does this not mean that the magnrtosphere is channeling these particals to the lower atmosphere where they interact and if this is the aera where sprits occour hence the colour

then there might be a electromagnetic system of simpathetic energy transfer between the incoming charged particals and out going sprites ect

this transfer of energy through the mediums of the different layers of atmosphere and magnetosphere and earth could create changes in charge levels in different layers creating a potential voltage difference between earth(capasiter) atmosphere (conductor/impeadence) and magnetosphere (discharge)

the inter relations ship between these systems canot be dismissed out of hand

XPLodER

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Greetings Memarf1

I don't think that anyone can predict how far south these auroras may be viewed. However like others have stated, have your cameras at the ready, I know I will. Skies permitting.

As far as 2012/12/21 or 2013. I feel that it is simply speculation at best.

The Maya for the first time in over five hundred years are coming forward about the transformation, and even they do not know what this is to be exactly. They are the keepers of time, that is what Maya means.

Don Aldihandro the grand day keeper of the Maya has stated "All that I can tell you is that there will be a new sun, what i cant tell you is whether it is the same one or not,"

trinity369

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Cloudy skies here in northern New York across the St. Lawrence river from Cornwall, Ontario. Hope it clears up by dark. I have only seen the lights one time at this location. I would love to see them again.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

You said it yourself. Lightning is a discharge. The charge is lost. It is an equalization of electrical potential. Lighting is caused by weather, it does not cause weather.

The charged particles in the ionosphere do not cause vibrations of other particles. They raise the energy level of the particle and when the particle returns to its original energy state a photon is released. The negatively charged particles join with positively charged particles and neutralize each other. This occurs far above the troposphere. The troposphere and stratosphere are composed of mostly neutral particles. There are few ions present, that's what separates the ionosphere (and the mesosphere) from everything below it.

The possibility of ionospheric influences on weather has been and is being studied. There is little evidence, if any, that the ionosphere has any influence on weather.

[edit on 8/3/2010 by Phage]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Here is some info.

video.theweek.com...=P8NV901DSQ1LBQHK&t=What happens during a sun storm?

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   

On August 1st around 0855 UT, Earth orbiting satellites detected a C3-class solar flare. The origin of the blast was Earth-facing sunspot 1092. C-class solar flares are small (when compared to X and M-class flares) and usually have few noticeable consequences here on Earth besides aurorae. This one has spawned a coronal mass ejection heading in Earth's direction.

What NASA really said before it was sensationalized.

The author of that article is lacking a little thing called ethics it would appear.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
The forecast for here is Moderate for today and Active for tomorrow. To much light here to see them this time of year though. Looks like tomorrow you might see them near the Canadian border in the Lower 48.

Link to forecasts.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I don't think we need to worry much...this is only going to temporarily disrupt communications systems like radio and cell phone coverage.

The wave may damage solar panels though, that is a good point.

The sun would have to literally explode in order for Earth to be in grave danger.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Sorry folks nothing to see here. I get excited about this stuff just like the next person but this is just a sand storm with a shortage of sand..

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by tylerdurden89
I don't think we need to worry much...this is only going to temporarily disrupt communications systems like radio and cell phone coverage.

The sun would have to literally explode in order for Earth to be in grave danger.

A big CME could do plenty to us to put us in grave danger, it doesnt take the whole sun blowing up.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR

Originally posted by tylerdurden89

A big CME could do plenty to us to put us in grave danger, it doesnt take the whole sun blowing up.

The Earth is so far away that the sun would have to expel such a large amount of hydrogen/helium fusion energy in order to travel far enough to damage the Earth significantly.

You already know this first part I'm sure, but the only reason why the sun keeps "burning" is because of its immense mass, fusing hydrogen to hydrogen, creating helium. This is all concentrated in its immense electromagnetic and gravitational fields for the most part. Outer space is only a few degrees above absolute zero. A solar flare traveling such a large distance (such as perhaps 1/10th the distance to the Earth, or 1/10th of 92,900,000 miles) might cause massive damage, but it is nearly impossible.

Did you see the movie "Know1ng" by any chance? No need to worry.

[edit on 3-8-2010 by tylerdurden89]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by tylerdurden89

You are talking about physical harm from the sun itself, I'm talking about how frying most of the electronics on earth could hurt us. Many people would die if we woke up with no electricity and the world wouldn't be the same for humanity as riots started to take place if it was bad enough. You wouldnt need to feel the sun burn you to be damaged by the power it holds over us.

Please be clear I'm not saying our current CME will do this, it wont.

Mod Note: Excessive Quoting – Please Review This Link

[edit on Tue Aug 3 2010 by Jbird]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by whoshotJR

Okay, yes, I agree with that. This is true. We do rely heavily on electrical devices that run on the sun in some way or another. If it damages electrical devices to such a degree, we won't have pure water, a way to pump that water, no heat, nor air conditioning, no access to news, no way to commute by car because there would be no working traffic lights, etc...

I understand your point now. I thought you were talking about the literal destruction of the Earth.

Yes, a massive CME would be very bad. The non-industrialized world wouldn't feel it's sting, so essentially, they have the advantage. Which is why people in the industrialized world should have a large stock of clean water and non-perishable foods on supply, or the survival skills needed to survive in the wild (about 10 lighters, some cooking ware, 1000 rounds of ammunition and a rifle). For those who would stay in their homes, they would probably need at least 20 5-gallon bottles of clean water, a method of obtaining more water and cleaning it (by boiling it, etc), and lots of canned food.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I plan on sitting back with a bottle of rum and watching the sun-rise through my telescope made of captain crunch cereal boxes.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
its getting dark in central MN now.. waiting to see if we get a good Norther Lights show.. nothing yet..

I remember some massive ones when we lived in the iron range back in the early 80's.. they were very cool to watch.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I've been reading about this kind of "Armageddon" crap for years & years...Israel's wars, solar flares, NWO, The rapture, nuclear holocaust, Swine Flu, exploding ocean floors, UFO's, chip implants 2012, The Federal Reserve, North American Union...etc...etc...on and on and on !!!

Well steady yourselves 'cause here it comes...sorry to disappoint you doomsday watchers but NOTHING'S GONNA HAPPEN !!!!!!!!!!

If and WHEN it ever does I'll be the first one in line to kiss your doomsday loving butts in Macy's window !!!!!

But until then go back to bed. I repeat...NOTHING"S GONNA HAPPEN !!!!!!!!

NOTHING"S GONNA HAPPEN !!!!!!!!

[edit on 3-8-2010 by lapi7]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by lapi7

Well steady yourselves 'cause here it comes...sorry to disappoint you doomsday watchers but NOTHING'S GONNA HAPPEN !!!!!!!!!!

But until then go back to bed. I repeat...NOTHING"S GONNA HAPPEN !!!!!!!!

I thought we already dispelled the doomsday scenario here and were talking about watching the auroras (for entertainment purposes only).

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join