It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oil Spill news that you haven''t seen. And never will on MSM.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by justadood
That's why i've been actively railing against the fear mongers predicting evacuation and ELE.

Talk about a 180... Just two days ago, you were hammering my ass for saying the exact same thing.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SeventhSeal

Yep, when the wind isn't blowing...those windmill blades sure are static as all get out. Just like in that photo. Just sitting there. Birds sitting on them.

Utopia is such a great place to visit. We usually call it Disney World. You go. You purchase a ticket. You buy an ice cream cone. You enjoy your stay.

Then you leave and go back to the reality of the world outside of Utopia.

It's nice to have plans. It's even nicer if you can make the plans work.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by fred call

I agree with you Fred, and wasn't trying to link the St John's mess with the oil spill. However, in addition to the very reasons you list, the increased nitrogen load from all the growth impacts algae, dinoflagelites, etc proliferation. And just wait until they start porting off millions of gallons of water from the lower St John's so it can be used to fuel further growth in Orlando! I tell you, this recession has it's silver lining, but it will be back to run away development again as soon as it's over.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeventhSeal
It's a real shame what has happened due to our addiction to oil and greed. The leak may have come a halt, but as many feared, the impact of the spill shall remain for a very long time. Giant mile long oil plumes plague the Gulf, the beaches are covered in crude oil, and and beyond.

There are many stories like the one included in the OP that don't make the MSM...however, surprisingly, MSNBC had excellent coverage of the spill...unlike Fox News...

At MSNBC we were hearing about the oil spill and the impact.
Over at Fox, we were hearing about how Obama hates white people.

I thought the leak was caused because the oil companies routinely deactivate the stupid warning gear. By chance, BP's rig blew up on account of this practice.

You seem to have a tendency to accept guilt for other people's actions. That leads to feelings of low self-esteem.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by whatsup

Well, there's you know the sugar company posphate runoffs that caused the massive Lake Okeechobee algae growht that fed down to the everglades after the brilliant strategists of the Army Corp of Engineers straighted the Kissimmee River, thus eliminating natures natural filtration system.....

...but why quibble about little things when it si sooooooooooo much easier to have an archetypal villain like BP Oil out in the Gulf, clear on the other side of the state.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   

I thought the leak was caused because the oil companies routinely deactivate the stupid warning gear. By chance, BP's rig blew up on account of this practice.

How could a leak be 'caused' by a lack of 'warning gear'?

Thats like saying your house caught on fire because the smoke alarm was off.

The rig appears to have blown because the BOP wasnt activated, because they had numerous problems with the well depth, because they may have not used the proper casing, etc. But no alarms? Are you kidding?

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity

That's why i've been actively railing against the fear mongers predicting evacuation and ELE.

Talk about a 180... Just two days ago, you were hammering my ass for saying the exact same thing.

— Doc Velocity

Not at all.

pay better attention.

Just like that quote taken out of context, all you have is out-of-context info to prop up your desire to argue nonsense.

i just freed up room on my ignore list, just for you!

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   

reply to post by fred call

Dont forget the massive amount of fossil fuel energy required to manufacture that electric car.

I'm no fan of a petroleum-based economy, or a defender of oil companies, but the VAST majority of those who complain about it seem to think that they can continue to consume at the levels they have grown accustomed to in that a petrol-economy, but just make it 'green'

that, as you know, is a bourgeois delusion born from laziness and privilege.

Scaling down is the only solution, not electric cars that run on coal-powered energy.

There is no magic button to make the Average American's consumption levels sustainable.

Well, maybe if we kill everyone else on the planet.
I'm not a fan of petroleum economy either, its crazy that one single resource can be so valuable to modern society. Without it, we could not support the population the earth currently is housing, and the way we live. Without computers, we would not be on this site, so none of us can say we do not contribute to this economy.
My opinion is there is no simple quick solution. I think we will be using oil for at least 15 more years, but It is inevitable that technology is going to change. With change comes new energy sources, and ways to fix our old ways.
My advice is to just continue your normal life and just hang in there, it will not be this way forever. 1 persons greatest efforts to go completely green and riding a horse everywhere is not going to change anything. Also expect the summers to get hotter and hotter and hotter, take water with you anywhere you go outside, and wear clothes that cover most of your body to avoid sunburns, they say sunblock lotion does more damage than good. That is what I'm already doing, I suggest you should get used to it, not like you really have a choice

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Just like that quote taken out of context, all you have is out-of-context info to prop up your desire to argue nonsense.

Argue nonsense? For the last 4 months, I've been railing against fear mongers and the ELE and evacuation LIARS on ATS... So, that's not what you were saying, right? So, you haven't been railing against the sensationalists?

The last I saw, you were accusing me of DENYING that an oil spill had taken place. You were misquoting the hell out of me and basically accusing me of denying that Deepwater Horizon even took place. Which is a lie.

Let's see... Here's what you said, Dood, verbatim:

So now you are no longer claiming that everything is fine and all the oil is gone? That was a quick 180.

You never came back and corrected yourself on those points, so I'd ask that you back up and retract your statements, which amounted to nonsense. I NEVER said that everything was fine and the oil was all gone.

Where did you come up with that accusation, Dood?

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 7/31/2010 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by davidmann

Originally posted by SeventhSeal
It's a real shame what has happened due to our addiction to oil and greed. The leak may have come a halt, but as many feared, the impact of the spill shall remain for a very long time. Giant mile long oil plumes plague the Gulf, the beaches are covered in crude oil, and and beyond.

There are many stories like the one included in the OP that don't make the MSM...however, surprisingly, MSNBC had excellent coverage of the spill...unlike Fox News...

At MSNBC we were hearing about the oil spill and the impact.
Over at Fox, we were hearing about how Obama hates white people.

You seem to have a tendency to accept guilt for other people's actions. That leads to feelings of low self-esteem.

I'm accepting guilt for BP? Not sure how you got that. The leak was caused by human error, stupidity, greed, and the addiction to oil. BP knew the risks of this operation and they took it anyway. They should be criminally punished.

Oh and thanks for the personal attack.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by -Thom-
Always 'good' to read actual eye-witness accounts.
Now let's hope Doc Velocity is on vacation

You can hope all you want... Hope in one hand and defecate in the other, see which hand fills up fastest.

Don't for a minute think that I ever DENIED there was an oil spill. I never said that. I said the news reportage, the "environmental catastrophe" hype was overblown and that it amounted to a hoax, a hoax that even the MSM is starting to question itself.

Anyone who lives on the upper Gulf Coast — especially anyone who GREW UP on the upper Gulf Coast in the vicinity of the Mississippi River delta KNOWS that the whole region has suffered oil and other kinds of pollution for DECADES. It's just a fact of life.

Anyone who tries to tell you that the upper Gulf Coast was some kind of pristine wetland before Deepwater Horizon is a liar. The upper Gulf Coast has been polluted with oil and all sorts of other chemical crap for my entire life.

And don't think you can mention Doc Velocity without me making an appearance. Speak of the devil...

— Doc Velocity

Just curious how your view of the spill is from the Smoky Mountains this time of year, Charles?

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by DrJay1975

Is it possible to get some photographs/videos? Especially of the 6-inch thick "slick" part. Or is BP, etc. blocking off cameras like they seem to like to do?

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Did anyone see Michelle Obama telling folks to come on down to the gulf! There's nothing wrong here, bring the family! Swim! surf! these are the areas that need your tourism dollars! Let's help them out!

Later there was a photo of her getting out of a pool, not the gulf, a pool... And what was printed all over her bathing suit?

IT'S ALL ABOUT ME! (I almost threw up.)

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by justadood

And what do you propose to power those "scaled down" systems with?

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Adevoc Satanae
Just curious how your view of the spill is from the Smoky Mountains this time of year, Charles?

Well, Satan's Advocate, it's surprisingly clear, in spite of the lies and propaganda that you've been spreading. Thank's for asking, Satan's Advocate.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I'm not sure it's accurate to say that it is not being reported.
www.guardian.co.uk...
www.miamiherald.com...
www.time.com...
www.wlos.com...

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Well, Satan's Advocate,

and I thought you could read.

it's surprisingly clear, in spite of the lies and propaganda that you've been spreading. Thank's for asking, Satan's Advocate.

— Doc Velocity

Lies? You said you live in the smokies, not me. It is also where your address is. So to keep speaking as an expert on the gulf TODAY seems a little less than honest. I guess calling me a liar helps?

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Just a thought that occurred to me while reading the OP, could it be possible that the Gulf of Mexico could be the worlds first mass algae factory, think about it, its perfect conditions in that area for it to really thrive. i know its a bit out there, just my 2 pence

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   

How could a leak be 'caused' by a lack of 'warning gear'?

Thats like saying your house caught on fire because the smoke alarm was off.

The rig appears to have blown because the BOP wasnt activated, because they had numerous problems with the well depth, because they may have not used the proper casing, etc. But no alarms? Are you kidding?

It is not the same thing. There are numerous safety devices which will warn them before a catastrophe takes place. I am not familiar with them, but they exist. You can conceive of some yourself if you try to design a system for drilling for oil, just as you'd conceive of a steering or brake system in the design of a car. The BOP preventer is what I consider on of many alarms, and these are routinely deactivated on rigs everywhere, according to sources I read from reputable sites. This was from the mouth of an executive. I ought to have written 'safeguards' instead of 'alarms'. Safeguards do sound alarms.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join