It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oil Spill news that you haven''t seen. And never will on MSM.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+33 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Man, I drove to Destin fron Nawlins this week for a convention. I decided to ride the coast and see what the effects were since I haven't been in a few weeks. Thought it would be a good idea since they said they couldn't find any oil.

The marshes some 1 mile from the coast(Mississippi), have a layer of what looks like pudding over the grasses. Booms were overun. Helicopters everywhere, no workers in the area. I can't imagine how some of these marshes will ever recover in my lifetime. I stopped an walked up to one of the areas just past Mobile. Unreal, with a gloved hand you have to exert some force to push through the layer of crude, 6 inches thick. Below it, nothing. Everythings dying underneath. No sunlight penetrates it. Normally you see minnow, birds, bugs, tadpoles all kinds of stuff in this brackish marsh. Nothing. Death. Very sad.

Drove over the beach into Destin, which is a very populated visible area, very different from where I just stopped. As soon as you cross the bridge, huge cleanup crews. Here they are picking up tarballs, unlike orange beach, that story will blow your mind. But they have booms and boats everywhere puttin on a show here. Nothing but the occasional tarball. Until I stepped out on my balcony. Hmm I've never seen the water look like this. Beautiful blue, except from the beach out about 50 yards. Weird green algae bloom. Never seen that here. Very thick. Authorities say it's seaweed. Nope. Looks like the same green algae you'd see in a small stagnant pond. Seaweed my butt. I wonder what Corexant does to the PH of the water. Could that have caused the algae bloom?

Spending the weekend at Perdido Beach with the family. It's between Perdido Key and Orange Beach, Alabama. Water looks ok, until you get in. It's like putting your foot in a bathtub full of bubblebath and baby oil. Hard to get that off your foot. We'll be staying in the pools for the weekend. Friend has a 2 million dollar house on the bay. Just found out it was going to be condemned because of oil penetration into the ground. WTH? Also found out they've taken all of the sea turtle eggs to the east coast of Florida. Not good news for this area. Yet the beaches are open? Scary for the notsobright folks in the water.

Sorry if this read a little choppy. Here's what I'm seeing. BP is wallpapering the beaches with cleanup crews. Anywhere there is a crowd, there is a crew and boats. The areas people don't congregate, some of them don't have booms, and many are simply overun with untreated crude. Helis are spotting it but nothing was being done. Can't see anything to do but burn it. The strange algae bloom you should be able to see on the Destin Beach cameras. And in corexant beaches of Orange Beach the government says cmon in the waters fine, and why people will stay in that water after sticking one foot in and feeling how greasy that water is, makes me wonder. It is clearly petroleum rich. Now this is an area where people will get sick I imagine. Because that water isn't healthy. It's obvious. But the gubment says go swimming. Condemning houses because of oil penetration but the beach is ok, hmmmm.

If anyone can offer some insight on this algae bloom I'd appreciate it. I'm most curious about what the crude and dispersants do to the PH of the water. Not something I've heard discussed. But in theory a minor PH shift can cause algae growth. But one thing I will say is there are no dolphins, mullet, bluefish, anything that appears to go near this algae. Birds either. Only seen one type of animal in it. Not the fish, fish are fairly stupid right? Not the birds with brains smaller than a peanut. Not the 2nd smartest animal in the world, the dolphins have split. Only animal in that algae are the talking monkeys. Yup the human visitors to the "redneck riviera". Weird, same situation in Perdido. No algae, but nothing but the humans appear to be in the greasy water. Seen fish on the other side of the bay where the water feels cleaner, even saw dolphins. Feels like they've been corralled in this area. I guess they don't know the municipalities are condemning the properties that they are cswimming in front of.

Again I apologize for thw writing. But the context was worth putting up with it. I hope. But man oh man. BP is putting on a show. It's kind of like when Iron Man opened. All of the big cities it opened right away. The small town theaters couldn't afford it opening week, so they waited a week beforing buying it. Hmmm studios don't show movies where nobody will watch em, and BP won't show where nobody will see them either.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   
nothin wrong with the writing, i liked your post very much (despite the subject). thank you for the insight and sharing it with us.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Thank you for the update Dr Jay. As usual I find you very insightful and ready with the intel. Star and flag for you.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Fabulously composed.

Thank you

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
I've spent a lot of time vacationing in Destin, and also have friends there, so i can say that the gross algae is actually fairly normal for July. Usually clears up mid/late August and the water is much prettier. However, being myself from Mississippi, I can also say that the conditions you're describing in what I assume to be the Gautier/Pascagoula area (seeing as you were referring to inland marsh) are NOT normal at all. So disturbing! Thank you for the 1st hand account.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
We all knew what was going on but the MEDIA is LYING about it constantly.

Thank you for sharing what you saw, and bringing us what the media likes to gloss over or forget about.

At least we can get the straight dope here at ATS right?

I have no reason to disbelieve you about this, but I was curious if you had made any photographs of the unpopulated marsh areas you witnessed?

If not thats ok, we can find pics and vids of it if we dig enough anyway, because a lot of bloggers are posting their personal videos and pics up daily.

I was just curious if you happened to make any?

Thanks anyways for the Info though Dr.Jay. TYVM

[edit on 31-7-2010 by muzzleflash]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by DrJay1975

DrJay,

Thank you for reporting the real news.

Consider yourself more of a newscaster vs the fancy overpaid corporate mouthpieces on the tv.

Possibly you go by that way again take some pictures.

Starred & Flagged.

[edit on 31-7-2010 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Humanity sickens me!

That is all! < 2nd line!

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Took a boat from Fort Lauderdale, around the Keys, up the west coast of Florida to the yachting yards in Mobile.........saw nothing but plenty of beach ready for swimming and fishing.

But I wasn't being paid by the media to create a tabloid tale of confusion, paranoia, fear and rampant genocide.

The gusher coming up out of the well was never crude. It was virgin mix of natural ingredients with methane that mostly dispersed and went back down to the water's bottom from whence it came.

But, hey, the three dead pelicans surrounded by the one hundred environmentalists each holding a bottle of Dawn dish shop makes for better tabloid cover.

I'm surprised someone didn't write a story about the asteroid that dropped own in the middle of the Gulf during the frantic cleanup operations.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
well i can tell you what is probably causing the algae bloom the amount of dead rotting sea creatures are probably filling the water with nitrogen. when ever we used to get a fish kill in area an algae bloom soon followed.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Always 'good' to read actual eye-witness accounts.
Now let's hope Doc Velocity is on vacation

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by proteus33

Aw, coming. The annual Red Tide kill in the Gulf of Mexica creates more floating fish carcasses than the 'massive' oil spill ever thought it could produce.

For once the people of the Gulf could blame something other than the Red Tide for the dead fish stink in the summer. They can blame BP!!

Hallelujah!

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Nice update! Thanks for sharing that.

I've never lived down there on the coast, but your comments about the marshes reminded me of my childhood. Some friends and I would spend tons of time each summer catching polliwogs, minnows, frogs, and such from a nearby swamp. There were days when I'd venture out by myself to collect insects during the summers of high school so I could learn about them. Those experiences, combined with some insightful reading done over the years, made me understand how important and valuable marshland is to our environment. So it sucks to read that they are grossly neglecting it down there. Makes me wonder what else they are sweeping under the carpet, so to speak.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by fred call
Took a boat from Fort Lauderdale, around the Keys, up the west coast of Florida to the yachting yards in Mobile.........saw nothing but plenty of beach ready for swimming and fishing.

But I wasn't being paid by the media to create a tabloid tale of confusion, paranoia, fear and rampant genocide.

The gusher coming up out of the well was never crude. It was virgin mix of natural ingredients with methane that mostly dispersed and went back down to the water's bottom from whence it came.

But, hey, the three dead pelicans surrounded by the one hundred environmentalists each holding a bottle of Dawn dish shop makes for better tabloid cover.

I'm surprised someone didn't write a story about the asteroid that dropped own in the middle of the Gulf during the frantic cleanup operations.

Maybe I misunderstood the sarcasm here...
But do you have any source for these statements?

Especially the asteroid?
Are you
?

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Forgive me, but you usually call everyone out as idiots in other threads, and yet you post a story with not even a picture? You're hangin' with rich friends, but no digital camera?

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   

But I wasn't being paid by the media to create a tabloid tale of confusion, paranoia, fear and rampant genocide

yeah, and no one has ever been employed to paint an overly rosy picture for the sake of tourism.

what a fascinating theory. Did you intuit it, or do youo have evidence?

And what is all the oil in the water and on the beaches from?

Or are you one who claims the oil is just a fancy illusion?

Lol.

And I'm surprised you didnt say that oil doesnt exist, but if it does, its good for suntans!

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   

reply to post by proteus33

Aw, coming. The annual Red Tide kill in the Gulf of Mexica creates more floating fish carcasses than the 'massive' oil spill ever thought it could produce.

For once the people of the Gulf could blame something other than the Red Tide for the dead fish stink in the summer. They can blame BP!!

Hallelujah!

This argument is SO tired and nonsensical. You are claiming the oil spill didnt even occur, but cant be bothered to provide even a shred of evidence to support your theory.

That is spreading ignorance.

You ARE aware BP is employing thousands to net dead creatures and drag them out to sea, yes?

Or do you think that just because there is no oil on your front lawn in north dakota that everything is a lie?

LOL. I've got some bridges to sell you.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
All of a sudden the MSM is full of jubilation... No oil to be found! No sheen! There may be oil lurking below the surface (but let's face it: out of sight, out of mind). The media do their jobs of making the out of sight part easy, but now it's even out of THEIR sight. Wow!

But what about all that Correxit? What about the oil that was totally dispersed (like down to the molecular level) by that Correxit?

Well, it's in the composition of the ocean, and as such, in the composition of the food chain. They've already found small crabs with small globules of crude and Correxit beneath their outer shells. Then the fish will eat those crabs. Bigger fish and birds will eat those fish. Mammals and humans will eat those bigger fish.

And guess what, poisons and contaminants in the food chain accumulate at the top rung...and, WE are the top of the food chain for most systems.

So, not only will we eat the bigger fish with the contamination, we'll eat the crustaceans, mollusks and other fish with the contamination.

And, not only all of that, but as the OP pointed out from experience, the marshland is coated with thick layers of crude (and Correxit) destroying the reeds, grasses and other aquatic plants beneath that layer. The marshland occupies the margin of the tidal zone. This is a scary zone to mess with. This is the zone that ties the land and the sea together inextricably. This is the zone were species go to breed and incubate; feed and become food themselves. Now, the crude is acting like a barrier separating the species that depend on each other for life for many miles in both directions (inland and out to sea) from the shore.

The only possible outcome from all of this will be a major shift in the overlapping, interdependent ecosystems of the Gulf: littoral and maritime.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrJay1975

The marshes some 1 mile from the coast(Mississippi), have a layer of what looks like pudding over the grasses. Booms were overun. Helicopters everywhere, no workers in the area. I can't imagine how some of these marshes will ever recover in my lifetime.

It's amazing what can be seen, versus what is in the news. Here are some local headlines from Biloxi.

www.philly.com... w_phase_for_oil-spill_cleanup.html

Rusty Graybill, a boat captain from Yscloskey, La., called the reopening "a joke" as he made a 2-inch circle with his thumb and finger. "I'm still finding tar balls this big out there," he said.

People need to make their own decisions based on what they see for themselves.

Would I eat fish out of the gulf at this point? You'd have to force feed it to me!

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrJay1975
The marshes some 1 mile from the coast(Mississippi), have a layer of what looks like pudding over the grasses. Booms were overun. Helicopters everywhere, no workers in the area. I can't imagine how some of these marshes will ever recover in my lifetime.

How about go change the oil in your car and dump it on some weeds/grass, yes it will kill it, wait a year and the next spring things will be growing like crazy in your homemade oil spill! oil goes away, it just does!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join