It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WikiLeaks Posts Mysterious 'Insurance' File

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by mryanbrown

I've already looked up as many anagrams of straw glass and bottle as i can.

Quite a few interesting combinations come up, but nothing that really stands out as being a key.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Section31

Just a bluff or a virus eh? Hmmm...couldn't possibly be anything extremely damaging to the government then no?

As has been reasoned out already on this thread, a bluff would not work.

The government has probably already cracked the file, or will do soon, so a bluff wouldn't buy much time and would be pretty useless as 'insurance'.

A virus? There would be no currency in WL releasing a virus onto millions of public computers, their support would vanish overnight.

A virus ridden version of the 'insurance' file could conceivably be put out and into circulation by the government to deter support for WL and the downloading of the file itself.

All that would be required, would be people around the net to start spreading insinuations that the file is really a 'virus' via forums etc...ahem...to start the propaganda and obfuscation ball rolling.

Notice you're quite a new member section31..do enjoy your stay.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Romekje

Even then, why would you waste 1.4 gig's of HDD space not knowing what it is, since if it's really that big, it will be all over the media soon enough.

In today's world of Terabyte drives, 1.4gig is nothing. You don't even need to leave it on the drive, just burn it to a disc and forget about it until or if a key is released.

The reason for getting the file now, is to prevent getting a government released fake copy of it later.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
One of the best ways to discredit somebody who is not corrupted is to spread rumours that they are corrupted. I think it's unfair that some people wilfully believe that he is a "plant" just because he has got hold of such sensitive documents. Why not give him the benefit of the doubt before believing rumours that are started to blacken his name and trivialise his cause?

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Downloaded it but it says it's finished at 614MB... someone cutting downloads off somewhere along the way ?

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I just downloaded it for the sake of it, as others have said...it's practically impossible to decrypt the file(in a reasonable time frame). The only way i see it as possible(apart from the person who made it) is quantum computers...which the military/intelligence services might have, it's not 'that' outlandish to think they do imo. Anyway, i have no idea what it is, if it is an insurance policy given all the flack assange has been getting he may have given many people the key to the file in the event of authorities taking action against him. As for assange being a CIA asset ,im not sure...it is certainly possible but i don't think there is enough evidence to suggest that currently.

And as spikey said, 1.4gb is nothing these days, i need to buy a new HD because im running out of space and i have 4tb.

[edit on 31-7-2010 by Solomons]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

It's because it is not smart to blindly believe someone just because he/she supports your beliefs.
CT's are very easy to infiltrate. Most of them base their actions on emotions not common sense or logic.
Just say: "ZOMG! Your theory is so true!" and that CT will be your best friend for life..

And WikiLeaks hasn't released any sensitive enough info yet.

[edit on 31/7/2010 by DGFenrir]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by no special characters

I tried downloading from the WL site itself and mine finished at 295mb.

So, i recommend getting it in torrent form, and to get it before the fakes start appearing.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by no special characters

Using torrent network to download will ensure integrity of the file. If you did and it finished abefore full size is reached, force check the integrity of the file, and the download will continue where it was.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I can't see it being a virus as wikileaks would know supporters will dl, keep, and even try to decrypt it and i don't think they would want that, also assange asked for 'supercomputer time' a while back, I cannot see them wanting to jeopardise that if their 'supercomputer' was shared processing.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
What if WL is CIA like everybody is assuming and this file turns out to be the government key to every body's computer. Wouldn't that go along with the internet "kill switch"?

Not just the internet but actually burning or viewing all of our conspiracy theorist around the world.

I mean, to blind citizens we are mostly nut jobs. But even though some conspiracy theories are outright looney. Some have gotten really close to the truth making conspiracy theorist extremely dangerous to the government.

I don't know, maybe I've ready a little too many Dan Brown books.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by DGFenrir
reply to post by Dark Ghost

And WikiLeaks hasn't released any sensitive enough info yet.

[edit on 31/7/2010 by DGFenrir]

I don't understand why the Afghan leaks arn't considered 'sensitive enough'.

The government clearly didn't want these cables released. It is classified information. Whilst they are not irreparably damaging it is not in their interest for information like this to be circulating. We'll see how far Wikileaks goes and if they make true on their promise to release more - especially the Oil Spill documents.

I understand we're not to take everything at face value but there is a danger of people here becoming too cynical. Surely the people of ATS have been longing for an organization such as Wikileaks to come along who are willing to put themselves on the line trying to uncover truths. It seems that posts in this thread are trying to create a conspiracy within Wikileaks - that Assange is NSA. I understand the apprehension to an extent but can we not just run with this for a while and see what Wikileaks does and what they're capable of instead of crying false already. It's exciting that we possibly have someone here who is able to give a government the run around.

As for the 'Insurance' document, it's an interesting tactic whatever is in it. Just have to wait and see how it plays out. Remember these things take time. They had the Afghan docs for a while before they released them. I hope people arn't expecting a landslide all at once and then rubbish Wikileaks if they don't get it.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Has anyone read the book Digital Fortress by Dan Brown?

This hacker has incriminating info about the government and he posts an encrypted file online. NSA tries to crack it with their huge supercomputer but come to realize that they actually downloaded a virus and now he has access to all of the NSA's top secret files.

Could be a stretch, but something to think about?

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by de Thor

I have read the book and thought of it as soon as I saw this thread too. Maybe you should put a *SPOILER* warning at the beginning so that those who still wish to read the book do not find out about key plot points. It is a very good read and I highly recommend it.

[edit on 31/7/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I have finished downloading it from a torrent site. People have been posting that it was only 200 or 300MB, well mine was the full 1.39GB so don't know what is happening to the other users.

I have also downloaded the 75MB full report. It took quite a while to extract and it is 3.55GB consisting of 88,001 files in 93 folders.

Wonder if there is anything hidden in these files relating to the insurance?

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by de Thor

Nice thought man, I've read the book and it'd be amazing - but yeah, a hell of a stretch id say

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
And no one can decrypt it?

Why?

Because you don't decrypt military encryption,
military encryption decrypts you!

This proves someone is giving him the Cipher from the inside.

The only way someone could be giving him this is from like the NSA. Seriously this is messed up.

He must be a plant. Wikileaks must be a front. Obviously with NSA level decryption abilities. (He has top secret Ciphers)

No hackers in the basements are gonna break that. AES256 with a decent pass key? Holy crap man that would take forever to crack with brute force, you NEED the cipher seriously.

Who do they think they are fooling by being so blatant about this?

I did some research on this stuff too. I will share a little bit of it if anyone is interested.

Until May 2009, the only successful published attacks against the full AES were side-channel attacks on some specific implementations. The National Security Agency (NSA) reviewed all the AES finalists, including Rijndael, and stated that all of them were secure enough for U.S. Government non-classified data. In June 2003, the U.S. Government announced that AES may be used to protect classified information: The design and strength of all key lengths of the AES algorithm (i.e., 128, 192 and 256) are sufficient to protect classified information up to the SECRET level. TOP SECRET information will require use of either the 192 or 256 key lengths.The implementation of AES in products intended to protect national security systems and/or information must be reviewed and certified by NSA prior to their acquisition and use."[8] AES has 10 rounds for 128-bit keys, 12 rounds for 192-bit keys, and 14 rounds for 256-bit keys. By 2006, the best known attacks were on 7 rounds for 128-bit keys, 8 rounds for 192-bit keys, and 9 rounds for 256-bit keys

en.wikipedia.org...

But really read the whole article there it's quite fascinating.

Also, another link I read.
www.dekart.com...

Really just type in "How hard is AES 256 to crack?" into Google and tons of stuff comes up, almost all of it is extremely interesting and eye opening.

Granted I am not a expert in encryption by any means, I am just a guy who reads stuff and thinks about it

The only way someone could be giving him this is from like the NSA. Seriously this is messed up.

Wow, man. I can't believe this post has so many stars. Please spend at least a couple days lurking on some cryptographic theory / cryptographic analysis forums before humiliating yourself like this, and duping others into thinking that you're correct.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by de Thor
Has anyone read the book Digital Fortress by Dan Brown?

This hacker has incriminating info about the government and he posts an encrypted file online. NSA tries to crack it with their huge supercomputer but come to realize that they actually downloaded a virus and now he has access to all of the NSA's top secret files.

Could be a stretch, but something to think about?

That's the one that I was referring to. Sorry, I couldn't think of the name to save my life.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
This is a bit off topic, but I thought since the posters here are interested in WikiLeaks, you might be interested...

Justin Raimondo, of AntiWar.com will appear on Fox Business Channel, Freedom Watch with Judge Napolitano airs four times this weekend:.

Based on his latest articles, which you may be interested as well, hHe MAY discuss WikiLeaks. Not sure if he did this morning because I missed it. Anyone see it?

Saturday 7/31 10 a.m. ET
Saturday 7/31 8 p.m. ET
Sunday 8/1 7 p.m. ET
Sunday 8/1 11 p.m. ET

Here are two of Justin's latest articles:

Why We Need WikiLeaks

Bradley Manning's Gift

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I still don't trust Assange..For all we know this encrypted file could be a virus that will take down the entire internet! I have no real reason to believe hes a good guy but that doesn't mean I have one to think on the contrary either. I guess I'm just picky when it comes to trusting people,especially someone who says that 9/11 is a "distraction conspiracy"

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join