It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ariz. sheriff: I'll jail immigration protesters

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Destroying the sacred Constitution to uphold the law? And supporting it?

What have we become and how far have we descended from the noble ideals of the founding fathers that survived for 2 centuries till now?...Is the Constitution 'only a piece of paper' as one moron ex president claimed?

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

If they block the jail, they would be breaking the law. How would the First Amendment be jeopardized by arresting them if they break the law?

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Originally posted by butcherguy

If they block the jail, they would be breaking the law. How would the First Amendment be jeopardized by arresting them if they break the law?

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

For one, I doubt they would block the jail, for two, the above amendment to the United States Constitution trumps the law.

As long as they are peaceful, there is nothing that this sheriff can do without seriously violating people's constitutional rights.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
or he could get around that the same way other cops do and issue a lawfull order to disperse or some other equivalent and then if they did not comply THEN he could legally do it.not saying its right but it has been done in the past and it would probably be used in the jail scenario

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   

So you get a crowd together, be nice and peaceable, go to the White House, go inside and assemble.

How far do you think it would fly. You are being peaceful, you are there to redress of grievances, lets say you want the US out of Afganistan. Constitution trumps the law, right?

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Can you peacefully surround someones house not allowing them ingress/egress to their home?

I think not.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   

How about this?

I get a crew of protesters together and peacefully assemble around the local hospital, blocking all entrances, to protest healthcare costs.

Shortly thereafter, someone dies of a heart attack when they can't get an ambulance into the Emergency Room entrance.

It was the Constitutions fault that he died, right?

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   

I will quote myself here.

Please don't tell me that you doubt they will block the jail, that is what Joe Arpaio said he would arrest them for.

The question was "How would the first Amendment be jeopardized by arresting someone for breaking the law?"

We have the right to free speech, but you can't yell 'fire' in a crowded theater!

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals

I don't know squat about Arpaio but from the slant of the article I would prefer him to what Commondreams suggests -

"In contrast to Arpaio's tactics, which have created deep distrust between the Latino community and law enforcement, the Police Executive Research Forum and scores of law enforcement leaders across the nation have spoken out about the need for strong relationships between police and immigrant communities, and the responsibility of the federal government to pass comprehensive immigration reform that turns undocumented workers into legal citizens."

Turn undocumented workers into legal citizens?

That's called AMNESTY and I ain't buying it.
They expect the rest of us to abide by the law (under threat of violence) but these people get a pass because they are "poor".
Guess what? I'm poor too and a legal citizen.
Why can't I break the law and get away with it?

Right?!!! Well I am poor too and a legal citizen, how bout I rob a bank since they got all those bailouts they can certainly afford one robbery, HA Let's just see how far I get with that!!!!!

[edit on 28-7-2010 by ldyserenity]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
This is sad, some activist judge would rather set up future book deals and be labled a hero, rather than do what's right. What's even more crazy, is that this should be up to the people, not this treasoness judge. This is so sad and if it reaches the SCOTUS, we all know how that "bought and paid for" institution will rule.

Again, this should not be up to some judge (to a degree), rather it should be up the people of Arizona. What happened to the 10th Amendment?

--airspoon

Edited to add: This is a "copy and paste" from another thread that was closed and then reopened.

[edit on 28-7-2010 by airspoon]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
EDIT: I only copied and pasted this text from the other thread because that other thread was closed and directed everyone here.
But it re-opened.

I am so angry at everyone's bigotry!!!!!

Some of the comments here DISGUST ME!!

What is wrong with some of you mannnnn

If the United States is destabalizing mexico, and the people are therefore too scared to continue living there then of course they will come here.
It's YOUR country that is destabalizing Mexico!!!

Why do you think most of the mass violence is mostly occuring in the U.S.-Mexico border? It's just a geographical coincidence that it's near the border?
REALLY???

The U.S.-Mexico border will become worse than Kashmir!

On September 24, 2007, a Florida based Gulfstream II jet aircraft, number N987SA, crashed in the Yucatan . As it turns out, not only was the plane used on at least three CIA rendition flights from Europe and the United States to the Guantánamo torture chamber, but it was loaded with tons of coc aine when it went down. El Nuevo Herald reported that the CIA plane was loaded up with 3.3 tons of coke in Medellín, Colombia, and was used to ferry “hundreds of delinquents,” including alleged members of the Taliban, to Cuba for water boarding and other specialties.

www.globalresearch.ca...

It has also been a well known and documented fact in the press and in congressional records that the US intelligence agencies have dealt and circulated drugs in the US and abroad for many years.

www.globalresearch.ca...

Who do you think is making these people come here?
This is just like the ATS expose shoing helicopters scaring horses into an area where they wanted them, NO DIFFERENCE!

Last month, the U.S. government’s own Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs, released its policy-shaping “2009 International Narcotics Strategy Report.” As the bureau had to admit, “U.S.-purchased or stolen firearms account for an estimated 95% of the Mexico’s drug-related killings.”

www.alternet.org...'s_drug_war_bloodbath:_guns_from_the_u.s._are_destabilizing_the_country/

SERIOUSLY!!!

Stop it with the uneducated emotional responses and just stop and think

These are human beings and it is largely the fault of YOUR country that these illegals are here.
Stop the arrogance!

[edit on 28-7-2010 by ModernAcademia]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Sounds good to me. Why should I have to obey the law if were are going to let a whole segment of the population slide just because they are illegal immigrants?

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I'm wonering why all the "judge blocks immigration law" threads are being redirected here...to a completely different topic "Ariz. sheriff: I'll jail immigration protesters"?

Should I post my reply to the "judge blocks immigration law" here and be off topic???

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   

You certainly can get a peaceful crowd together outside of the white house and protest all you want, people do it all the time.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno

You certainly can get a peaceful crowd together outside of the white house and protest all you want, people do it all the time.
Can you block the White House and keep the President or ANY staffer from coming or going?

That is what was in my statement.... They can't block the jail and not expect to be arrested.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Wonder if the mod who closed that topic sent us in the wrong direction.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

For one, I doubt they would block the jail, for two, the above amendment to the United States Constitution trumps the law.

As long as they are peaceful, there is nothing that this sheriff can do without seriously violating people's constitutional rights.

you know damn well that means LEGAL US CITIZENS

the writers of the constitution had no clue of what immigrations problems would become.

that constitution is in fact the document that is suppose to protect her citizens and if your illegal YOU ARE NOT A CITIZEN.

anyone who breaks the law needs to goto jail.

this reminds me of those cops who tried to arrest those 80 year old lady teapartiers.

this is a messed up situation no matter how you look at it.

this also reminds of bernie maddov- the rich and he was crucified he broke the law and he was punished.(maddov stole billions)

illegals are stealing billions upon billions everysingle day with the healthcare and social security that YOU pay for.

illegals break the law everyday and noone from the left gives a flying f.

THE LAW IS THE LAW NO MATTER WHAT IT IS and it is the rule of the land thus it should be enforced.

the liberal mindsets yeah we like laws but only when it benefits them.

[edit on 28-7-2010 by neo96]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
sorry sheriff you lost now you cant check the status of immgrants..... Today is wonderful

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Yep...After all, the Constitution is established as the Supreme Law of the Land. Even above the lowly Uniform Commercial Code that they enforce against us most often.
And yet, as long as no protestors are not harrassing any passersby, blocking access to/from the jail or initiate any violent acts, the sheriff must leave them alone at risk the risk of committing his own criminal actions.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
Are you saying you are for granting citizenship to everyone that is not here legally or that is here on a work visa?

No I am not
I'm saying that's the power that be are trying to do

It would expand the country/control and help destabalize the country therefore justifying a police state.

Right on. I believe the same. Whatever they can do to further control of us they are doing, including allowing a flood of immigrants to continue.
Thanks for the info on Arpaio, I'll be looking into this guy. He's got a tough job but there are limits to what a sheriff can or should be doing.

I just read your post about the US destabilizing Mexico. You are absolutely correct. Nafta and the WTO have allowed corporations to gut the Mexican economy destroying small farmers and businesses.
The true shame of it is that Mexico is a rich country in terms of resources which if used wisely could assure all their people a decent wage.
The immigration issue is the fallout from the free trade (disastercapitalist) model. I do feel badly for the poor of the world but the US cannot afford to take in all the poor, the destitute, the huddled masses. It sounds really nice but we've never actually practiced it. I am ashamed of the US government and the banks/corporations that run it. This does not mean that the average US citizen should pay for their wanton ways.

[edit on 28-7-2010 by Asktheanimals]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join