It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ariz. sheriff: I'll jail immigration protesters

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Ariz. sheriff: I'll jail immigration protesters

www.google.com

The sheriff of the most populous county in Arizona says he's "not going to put up with any civil disobedience" when the state's new immigration law takes effect.

Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio says that if protesters want to block his jail, he'll put them in it.

The Arizona law, which takes effect Thursday, requires officers enforcing other laws to check a person's immigration status if they suspect the person is in the country illegally.

Arpaio told ABC's "Good Morning America" he
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
This guy is a complete idiot with a superiority complex, a gun and a badge which is a horrible combination.

The report reveals some 21 examples of Arpaio's disturbing record, among them:

•Violent crime rates have risen under Arpaio's watch while they have fallen throughout the rest of Arizona.
•Arpaio's department has not served over 40,000 felony warrants.
•Arpaio has been suspected of misspending $50 million in taxpayer funds and refused to turn over his records for an investigation.
•Over 2,700 lawsuits have been filed against Arpaio.
•The Maricopa County Sheriff's Department is or has been under investigation by the FBI and the U.S. Departments of Justice and Labor.
•Evidence exists that Arpaio forced an undocumented mother to give birth while handcuffed to a bed.

www.commondreams.org...

www.commondreams.org...

And now he is saying that he will not put up with civil disobedience. Although he specifically mentions about blocking the way to jail, I guess he means just protesting.

I think Joe is a double agent, he's been put in AZ to fuel a race war. His methods are inneficient and he is just endangering himself and his dept.

www.google.com

[edit on 28-7-2010 by ModernAcademia]

+13 more 
posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I don't know squat about Arpaio but from the slant of the article I would prefer him to what Commondreams suggests -

"In contrast to Arpaio's tactics, which have created deep distrust between the Latino community and law enforcement, the Police Executive Research Forum and scores of law enforcement leaders across the nation have spoken out about the need for strong relationships between police and immigrant communities, and the responsibility of the federal government to pass comprehensive immigration reform that turns undocumented workers into legal citizens."

Turn undocumented workers into legal citizens?

That's called AMNESTY and I ain't buying it.
They expect the rest of us to abide by the law (under threat of violence) but these people get a pass because they are "poor".
Guess what? I'm poor too and a legal citizen.
Why can't I break the law and get away with it?

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
It is ok.

Arizona is a rich state[sarcasm] and has plenty of money to keep defending itself from lawsuits.

Hell, I am sure they have already paid out millions because of this one sheriff alone.

[edit on 28-7-2010 by jam321]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
"...if protesters want to block his jail, he'll put them in it."

They can't say they weren't warned.

[edit on 28-7-2010 by sweetliberty]

+9 more 
posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

This guy is a complete idiot with a superiority complex, a gun and a badge which is a horrible combination.

The report reveals some 21 examples of Arpaio's disturbing record, among them:

•Violent crime rates have risen under Arpaio's watch while they have fallen throughout the rest of Arizona.
•Arpaio's department has not served over 40,000 felony warrants.
•Arpaio has been suspected of misspending $50 million in taxpayer funds and refused to turn over his records for an investigation.
•Over 2,700 lawsuits have been filed against Arpaio.
•The Maricopa County Sheriff's Department is or has been under investigation by the FBI and the U.S. Departments of Justice and Labor.
•Evidence exists that Arpaio forced an undocumented mother to give birth while handcuffed to a bed.

www.commondreams.org...

www.commondreams.org...

And now he is saying that he will not put up with civil disobedience. Although he specifically mentions about blocking the way to jail, I guess he means just protesting.

I think Joe is a double agent, he's been put in AZ to fuel a race war. His methods are inneficient and he is just endangering himself and his dept.

www.google.com

[edit on 28-7-2010 by ModernAcademia]

STOP spreading hate and disinformation about Joe.

For one I think the sheriff is right to jail protesters if they threaten him from effectively doing his job and enforcing the law.

Every sheriff gets blamed for all that's not right in the county. Perhaps violent crime has risen because there are so many illegals coming in. That investigation has been ongoing for a year and a half and still no word of guilt from the feds.

I do not live in AZ so I do not know the situation first hand but don't believe everything you read. If this man is guilty of crimes and that's proven in a court of law then he deserves the fitting punishment, but until then, spreading hate about a man who is obviously passionate about doing his job at least in this border issue respect is stupid and is only there to serves someones agenda. Let the man do his job and the courts sort it all out.

If one drug dealer gets across the border because this man is kept from doing his job, and your 15 year old daughter overdoses on coc aine bought from him, you will feel really bad then that you had all this hateful stuff to say about him.

Asktheanimals: I would star your post 5 times if I could.

[edit on 28-7-2010 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Not true, Arizona is broke, like many states dealing with deficit spending and debt.

The lawsuit strategy is working in some places, for example:

news.yahoo.com...

Council members insist any suspension would be aimed at saving money on the city's legal defense, but some ban supporters remain skeptical.

"They see it as another attempt by the city to block this ordinance," said Jerry Hart, a Fremont resident who petitioned for the ballot measure and planned to attend the Tuesday night council vote on suspending the ban.

The city faces lawsuits from the American Civil Liberties Union and the Mexican American Legal Defense & Educational Fund. A federal judge was to consider Wednesday whether to grant an injunction to temporarily block the ban from taking effect Thursday as scheduled.

City officials have estimated Fremont's costs of implementing the ordinance — including legal fees, employee overtime and improved computer software — would average $1 million a year.

Bottom line, the above location has decided that it will cost less to not enforce new immigration laws.

In the short term, Arizona's new laws will cost them more, and fighting lawsuits will only add to those costs, it will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

As for the protests, lets hope it doesn't get violent.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals

No that's not called amnesty, that's called setting the base to make Mexico an American state.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
you dont need to spread any disinformation on arpaio- his record is dismal,
his tactics deplorable, and he is as close to nazi as you can get. Waving his 50.cal machine gun around..mr tough guy.
WHERE RODNEY KING FOOTAGE IS A TRAINING FILM AND THE ONLY THING SHOCKING IS A STUN GUN-
arizona-where sheriffs dept. in eager murdered william cooper.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

No that's not called amnesty, that's called setting the base to make Mexico an American state.

Call it what you like. I'm not for adding Mexico as an American state myself.

Are you saying you are for granting citizenship to everyone that is not here legally or that is here on a work visa?

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

That's because like most cops his other insignificant/inadequate/peewee/little/tiny/immature/unimportant/petite/
petty/microscopic/small/miniscule/minute gun causes him to have an inferiority complex.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Are you saying you are for granting citizenship to everyone that is not here legally or that is here on a work visa?

No I am not
I'm saying that's the power that be are trying to do

It would expand the country/control and help destabalize the country therefore justifying a police state.

SM2

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
OMG this guy is so evil!!!

jeeze, he is doing his job, he is jailing criminals, they are called ILLEGAL IMMINGRANTS for a reason, don't try to spin it and don't call them undocumented this or that, green card challenged or whatever nicey nice left spun wording you use this week. They broke the law getting here, that is a felony. He is doing his job. If they are protesting and blocking him from doing his job, he can arrest them on a few different charges. Then you have this little fact that some people fail to realize , the citizens of Maricopa county Arizona, must approve of what he is doing, they keep voting for him. So therefore, it ceases to be any of our concerns , as he is doing the job which apprarently the will of the people of that county. He is not breaking any laws, if he were he would be removed from office. As hard as the Obama admin has tried to stop him, don't you think they could of, if he had abused his authority or broke some laws? Now, don't get me wrong, I am all for immigration, we need immigration, we are a nation of immigrants. I embrace all legal immigrants and am proud that we have so many varied cultures in our nation. That is one the things that makes this country great.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Joe will have plenty of room.

He can just put up some more tents!

If they are apparently breaking a law, I believe it is his duty to arrest them. It is for a judge and/or jury to decide whether or not they are guilty of breaking that law.

@SM2: Green card challenged! First time I saw that one.....

[edit on 28-7-2010 by butcherguy]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
It is ok.

Arizona is a rich state[sarcasm] and has plenty of money to keep defending itself from lawsuits.

Hell, I am sure they have already paid out millions because of this one sheriff alone.

[edit on 28-7-2010 by jam321]

Yeah, and how about Governor Brewer. Sheriff Joe better keep a tent open for her.
Chuck Coughlin, who leads Brewer's re-election campaign, chaired her transition into the governorship, and is one of the governor’s policy advisors, is president of HighGround Public Affairs Consultants, which lobbies for Corrections Corporation of America. Brewer’s deputy chief of staff, is a former lobbyist for CCA. His wife continues to lobby for the company.

OK, now guess what company is paid to house immigration detainees.
Good guess! CCA bills $11 million per month. Take a look at CBS 5's site. www.kpho.com...

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by SM2

The protesters are usually not illegals. Illegals would not put themselves out like that because they would risk getting caught and deported.

Protesters are usually legal immigrants or US citizens. You may or may not agree with them on the issue but they have as much right to protest as anyone else.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I believe that the justification would be based on how the protest is carried out and this is what people should consider. The right to protest the government is protected by the freedom of speech, that many people would agree to. However, when it blocks the entrance to the jail, or prevents those in the jail from carrying out their duties, and start to throw things at the sherriffs vehicles, then it goes against common sense of the matter and the protestors should be jailed on those grounds. Most jails and prisons have signs around them, that people are not allowed to be near the walls or fences, and have an actual limit where people can be. It is also forbidden to stop near a jail or prison without having the local officials getting involve and checking out what all is going on. This is to protect the general population and those who could be harmed by the inmates from those in jails. Now you may believe that these protestors are doing the correct thing, and that is true, but if they are going to either endanger the public safety, or end up hurting themselves, or in their protest, a convicted felon who is in the jail doing his time gets loose, then who is to blame?
So there you have it, if they are outside of the jurisdiction of the jails area, and are peaceful, they have a right, but the moment they cross the line, then perhaps they should spend time in the jail there, knowing that the law will be against them.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I've met sheriff Joe a few times and listened to him speak quite a few more times when I was cop there. He is pompous a@# and loves being the center of attention. I also have zero doubt that he has broken the law many, many, many times. He does things "his way". He is a terrible sheriff.

I'm also not a fan of this bill in particular but definately do not support illegal immigrators in any way shape or form. They have it entirely too good in many "western" countries these days. Way too many social services and the like. If you start offer more jobs, money, and social services to an illegal immigrant than they can get in their homeland, no wonder they flock here.

That's the real way to stop illegal immigration. Take away all these ridiculous services they get. Not taking away everybody's right to privacy by telling cops to pester every person who doesn't look like a native born citizen.

SM2

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik
reply to post by SM2

The protesters are usually not illegals. Illegals would not put themselves out like that because they would risk getting caught and deported.

Protesters are usually legal immigrants or US citizens. You may or may not agree with them on the issue but they have as much right to protest as anyone else.

I am not saying they can not protest, they can protest all they want, I have no problem with that. I said if they block him physically from doing his job, they can and should be arrested, and yes, I do realize that the majority of the protesters are legal immigrants and/or citizens. Even if they are illegal immigrants, if they have the minerals to go out and protest, by all means, have at it. Public protesting is an important part of the American political system in my view, if i agree with them or not does not even enter into it. I may disagree with everything they say, but I will fight till my last breath to defend thier right to say it.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Way to go Arizona!
First Arizona takes away your citizen's 4th Amendment rights, now sheriff Arpaio want's to take away people's 1st Amendment rights.

Anyone notice a pattern emerging in this state yet? Anyone else seeing a problem with this?

What's next on tap for Arizona? Taking away the right to a speedy trial? Or how about taking away a person's right to council?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join