It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ariz. sheriff: I'll jail immigration protesters

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Chance321

I do not see anything in there that grants illegal alieans the same rights. The Bill of Rights is for the American citizens. www.archives.gov...

This too also from the same site: Article IV section 4. The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against Invasion; and on Application of the Legislature, or of the Executive (when the Legislature cannot be convened), against domestic Violence

Does that sound the government is doing their job?

[edit on 29-7-2010 by Chance321]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Here in another state far from Arizona, the penalties that the judge allowed to stand don't affect us. We don't care much if businesses in Arizona get shut down or not. But what does affect us is the continued flow of illegals from there to here. The illegals who don't get stopped there can end up here, mowing yards in my neighborhood and doing other casual labor.

By the way these yard mowing services aren't cheap. I don't know the exact price because I do it myself, but I think it's way over $100 every time they come out. Maybe $200. So if someone is getting a lot of benefit from this arrangement, it isn't the homeowners. Guess it's the middlemen, who seem to be spanish speakers also but maybe with legal status. And neighborhood kids are shut out of the opportunity to make money. It destroys our indigenous economy by flooding us with illegal foreign workers.

One reason Arizona had so much support is that they were trying to do things that would help us all over the USA. And those are the things the judge blocked. The judge seems willing to ensure that Arizona remains a conduit for illegals, and drugs, even if it's allowed to control some internal policies regarding its own Arizona businesses that hire illegals.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno

The right to vote:

The 15th Amendment gave Blacks the right to vote.
The 19th Amendment gave Women the right to vote.

Neither of these two constitutional amendments give illegals the right to vote, but neither of these two constitutional amendments says that illegals are less than human.

These still are people protected under the Constitution of the United States.

[edit on 7/29/2010 by whatukno]

in addition to your post. lets add this. i posted already but it's pertinent to this.

Yick Wo v. Hopkins (1886)
In Yick Wo v. Hopkins, a case involving the rights of Chinese immigrants, the Court ruled that the 14th Amendment's statement, "Nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws," applied to all persons "without regard to any differences of race, of color, or of nationality," and to "an alien, who has entered the country, and has become subject in all respects to its jurisdiction, and a part of its population, although alleged to be illegally here." (Kaoru Yamataya v. Fisher, 189 U.S. 86 (1903) )

Wong Wing v. U.S. (1896)
Citing Yick Wo v. Hopkins, the Court, in the case of Wong Wing v. US, further applied the citizenship-blind nature of the Constitution to the 5th and 6th amendments, stating ". . . it must be concluded that all persons within the territory of the United States are entitled to the protection guaranteed by those amendments, and that even aliens shall not be held to answer for a capital or other infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property without due process of law."

Plyler v. Doe (1982)
In Plyler v. Doe, the Supreme Court struck down a Texas law prohibiting enrollment of illegal aliens in public school. In its decision, the Court held, "The illegal aliens who are plaintiffs in these cases challenging the statute may claim the benefit of the Equal Protection Clause, which provides that no State shall 'deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.' Whatever his status under the immigration laws, an alien is a 'person' in any ordinary sense of that term… The undocumented status of these children vel non does not establish a sufficient rational basis for denying them benefits that the State affords other residents."

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

Originally posted by whatukno
reply to post by butcherguy

Originally posted by butcherguy

If they block the jail, they would be breaking the law. How would the First Amendment be jeopardized by arresting them if they break the law?

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

For one, I doubt they would block the jail, for two, the above amendment to the United States Constitution trumps the law.

As long as they are peaceful, there is nothing that this sheriff can do without seriously violating people's constitutional rights.

you know damn well that means LEGAL US CITIZENS

the writers of the constitution had no clue of what immigrations problems would become.

that constitution is in fact the document that is suppose to protect her citizens and if your illegal YOU ARE NOT A CITIZEN.

anyone who breaks the law needs to goto jail.

this reminds me of those cops who tried to arrest those 80 year old lady teapartiers.

this is a messed up situation no matter how you look at it.

this also reminds of bernie maddov- the rich and he was crucified he broke the law and he was punished.(maddov stole billions)

illegals are stealing billions upon billions everysingle day with the healthcare and social security that YOU pay for.

illegals break the law everyday and noone from the left gives a flying f.

THE LAW IS THE LAW NO MATTER WHAT IT IS and it is the rule of the land thus it should be enforced.

the liberal mindsets yeah we like laws but only when it benefits them.

You beat me to it there buddy.
I'm not even a US citizen and I can see those amendments do not cover illegals!

[edit on 28-7-2010 by neo96]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chance321

I do not see anything in there that grants illegal alieans the same rights. The Bill of Rights is for the American citizens. www.archives.gov...

This too also from the same site: Article IV section 4. The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against Invasion; and on Application of the Legislature, or of the Executive (when the Legislature cannot be convened), against domestic Violence

Does that sound the government is doing their job?

[edit on 29-7-2010 by Chance321]

I guess you gotta be a lawyer to know all this stuff.

Yick Wo v. Hopkins (1886)
In Yick Wo v. Hopkins, a case involving the rights of Chinese immigrants, the Court ruled that the 14th Amendment's statement, "Nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws," applied to all persons "without regard to any differences of race, of color, or of nationality," and to "an alien, who has entered the country, and has become subject in all respects to its jurisdiction, and a part of its population, although alleged to be illegally here." (Kaoru Yamataya v. Fisher, 189 U.S. 86 (1903) )

Wong Wing v. U.S. (1896)
Citing Yick Wo v. Hopkins, the Court, in the case of Wong Wing v. US, further applied the citizenship-blind nature of the Constitution to the 5th and 6th amendments, stating ". . . it must be concluded that all persons within the territory of the United States are entitled to the protection guaranteed by those amendments, and that even aliens shall not be held to answer for a capital or other infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property without due process of law."

Plyler v. Doe (1982)
In Plyler v. Doe, the Supreme Court struck down a Texas law prohibiting enrollment of illegal aliens in public school. In its decision, the Court held, "The illegal aliens who are plaintiffs in these cases challenging the statute may claim the benefit of the Equal Protection Clause, which provides that no State shall 'deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.' Whatever his status under the immigration laws, an alien is a 'person' in any ordinary sense of that term… The undocumented status of these children vel non does not establish a sufficient rational basis for denying them benefits that the State affords other residents."

[edit on 29-7-2010 by grey580]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Even with part of the new law being quashed for now, it seems Joe has a few customers to his tent city already.

protest arrests

PHOENIX (AP) — Three people have been arrested as hundreds of protesters rally against Arizona's new immigration law despite a federal judge's last-minute decision to block the most controversial parts of the measure.

The day is still early, so, it should be interesting to see where this all goes.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

Just a moment ago on CNN it showed about 12 people getting arrested. The protesters get in a line in front of the riot police and the police talk to them and take their pictures and then take them a way with their hands tied. The first group was a line of 5 people. The second group was a line of 7 people. If this process keeps going there are going to be hundreds of arrests.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by lostinspace

Just a moment ago on CNN it showed about 12 people getting arrested. The protesters get in a line in front of the riot police and the police talk to them and take their pictures and then take them a way with their hands tied. The first group was a line of 5 people. The second group was a line of 7 people. If this process keeps going there are going to be hundreds of arrests.

That's if the illegals don't leave first.

The latin news stations are saying many are leaving the state like rats on a sinking ship.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by lostinspace

Ya well, that doesn't mean they are illegal.

One of my sons was treated the same way while skateboarding in a Basha's parking lot there.

Maybe they just need their Mommies called to pick them up!

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   

They were standing in the middle of the street. If you obstruct traffic you are bound to get arrested legal or illegal.

I think the news said the total number of arrests were 18. They said the protesters dispersed not long ago. No more brave souls to challenge the system?

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by lostinspace

Well, it is still early. Wait and see. There will be more action, yet today.

I just hope nobody gets hurt!

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Redwookieaz

I believe AZ is also working on a law that says children of illegals born in Arizona will not be treated as anchor babies. Anchor babies are a big part of the problem:

(1) incentive for parents to come here illegally to bear the baby
(2) have status as legal recipient of services (AFDC I guess) which cash has to pass through the hands of the parents who are here illegally. The social service agencies in this case do not screen for legality, and they should do that too. But that's another fight ...

Certainly it's right to deport illegally present parents even if they have anchor babies here. They can take the anchor babies with them. We are not breaking up families, even if the parents threaten to break up their own families by leaving their anchor babies here.

[edit on 29-7-2010 by oniongrass]

[edit on 29-7-2010 by oniongrass]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I think Joe is like the canary in the coal mine to the GOP.

Most of them lack the integrity to actually speak what's on their minds and reveal their extreme isolationist positions.

But if ol Joey comes out of this nasty battle unscathed, the good ol boys will have won and it will be safe for the rest of the party to jump on his rickety old bandwagon.

Lets watch this play out. Watch Joe drive this jitney over a cliff and hopefully he will take the rest of his "party" with him.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join