It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Elders of ATS

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   

It's a bit discouraging to new members. It may certainly make some new members feel unwelcomed and that is where I get upset. The more minds we have that contribute on the threads, the more we can expand our knowledge. Older and/or longer membership does not equal more knowledge or wisdom.
reply to post by Say_It_Already

Oh ya! I do agree, it's discouraging for sure. So how bout we skip over to
Mamby Pamby land and see if we can't find you some self confidence
You jack wagon.
Been look'in for an opportunity to say that.

Fox

It would be very difficult to establish an Elder status based on the year they registed because there was no Stars, Flags or Applause.

Ya I know it. I realise now the good it might do, would not be worth the
effort it would take to achieve it. But hey I think my thread brought some really cool people out of the woodwork.

[edit on 7-8-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

There are people who date back from the B bulletin board days that are still roaming here. Some are brilliant people, others are flat out idiots.

Age and time spent does not equal intelligence or weighted opinion. If there is a discussion on finances and there is just some random 2002 registered member and a 2010 registered financial consultant for a major 401k company, I'm sorry, but his opinion has greater weight.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Thanks for giving some of us that has been here for a long time and posting almost everyday credit, yes we have spend time supporting this incredible site during the goods and bad high and lows.

We have seen a lot of people come and go and still will be here to see many more.

And as for counsel we have something like that a few years back, they were vote on by members, but is still the board have many information threads on anything you may have problems with and is always a mod that will help if you have needs.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
We are all important pieces of this machine.

Is that how you really think about it?

Then, out of sheer spite & vindictiveness, I hereby knock out one of my own gear-teeth...Simply to put a "stutter" in the machine!

Oh, wait...I've already done that before. I may have been registered here since 2002 & I have contributed quite a bit, there have been times when I'd be on an "ATS hiatus," sometimes lasting up to 3-4 months at a time. I'll have to cut down on my little "vacations" or I'll run out of gear-teeth.

Sorry about that...I'll just go quietly back into my corner & babble incoherently for a while...

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher
why not accept innocence? babies are innocent. not accepting babies may be ignorant.

(Babbling from the corner)
...especially when it comes to feeding time. I know of no parent that can ignore THAT.

But, if a baby on ATS happens to also be a troll, it's usually a good idea to ignore them. There have been entire threads & ATS policies posted that basically uphold the "do not feed the trolls" idealology.

Originally posted by Say_It_Already
I was wondering, if I was to thump the side of my head hard enough would my grandiose illusions fade away? I need an 'elder' to explain the exact way to do this

Drink a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster. It's been described as getting hit upside the head with a lemon twist, wrapped around a large gold brick. It's also been compared to an alcoholic mugging...Expensive & bad for the head.

Details can be found in the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," by Douglas Adams: Just look for all 5 titles of the trilogy (That's a long story in itself, as described by Adams himself).

Originally posted by Say_It_Already
Obviously what I said went over the heads of the last two The so-called 'elders' are usually the ones whom ignore new members (picture looking down their nose at someone) as being unproven to their worthiness. Not every 'elder' does this. However, most do. It's a bit discouraging to new members.

Personally, I don't even bother to look at anybody's "registration date." I just look for thread-titles & subject-matters that pique my interest at the moment. I don't care if someone registered 2 minutes ago, 2 months ago, 2 years ago, or even 20 years ago (Don't say it! I KNOW the ATS forums got started in 2002! I'm making a point, so shush up!
).

It's the same way I choose my friends, and even the way I vote for politicians (even though my vote has thus far always been "No Confidence")...I don't care if anyone is young, old, new, veteran, white, black, brown, yellow, red or even purple with pink polka dots...

I hate EVERYBODY the same way, because I'm an equal-opportunity sociopath!

Originally posted by they see ALL
I feel that we, as ATSers, should value every ATSer's posts. All the great posters start somewhere, right?

Well, except the trolls...Please refer to my references about trolls up above...

I find that ATS taste a lot better with a liberal sprinkling of humor. It's an acquired taste however.
Yeah, ATS, by it's very nature as a "conspiracy theory" website, contains its share of doom-n-gloom, but there's plenty of room for levity & I still get some giggles in now & then...Note the entirety of this post, for an example. But I try to avoid listening to the political "liberal" sprinklings...That's not humor, it's absurdity.

(Finishes babbling in the corner & resorts to sub-vocal murmers to self...For now)

[edit on 7-8-2010 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Oh ya! I do agree, it's discouraging for sure. So how bout we skip over to
Mamby Pamby land and see if we can't find you some self confidence
You jack wagon.
Been look'in for an opportunity to say that.

Jack Wagon? What exactly is a Jack Wagon? Is that supposed to be an insult? So now you are resorting to name calling? That really shows your intelligence level. *applaus* Keep it going. Now, whenever I see you on a thread I will disregard anything you have to say.

You just proved why there should NEVER be an 'elder' panel

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Ozweatherman's thread against all the hate being spewed on ATS just gave me an idea.

Would not a council of Elders who could declare a post to be banned by
the members of ATS serve well in this manner?

If one council member used the H1 button in this manner

ELDERS HAVE DEEMED THIS THREAD TO BE FILLED WITH HATE.

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY

Would that not be at least a course of action?

I bump my own thread for this reason specifically. Please no flags no stars
from this point on.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Oh yeah, been here a long time. I do however learn an equal amount from new members though. Maybe the "elder" has been around the conspiratorial block so to speak and maybe that makes them keener to BS but as far as knowledge we are all equal. With me being a little bit more so.

[edit on 9/5/2010 by kinglizard]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightDStroyer

MidnightDStroyer? Be difficult to find a more long term member....he is way brfore my time.

All hail MidnightDStroyer.
I declare him ATS royalty.

[edit on 9/5/2010 by kinglizard]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   
If we are going to do this ATS elders guild thing, we should do it up right.

I propose that we adopt some form of official hat or head wear so that we may impose a more official, sophisticated aura of knowledge and higher intellect.

Personally, I am partial to the "fez" type covering worn by the Shriners. It screams "yes I have a deep understanding of the universe, no I wont share it with you, and yes I have been drinking since early this morning".

Enough said.

Tiny cars, purely optional.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Truth be told...I am bored with the old blood...

The band aids have long since become crusty...

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
No doubt I'm a bit crusty...peel me off slowly.

[edit on 6/9/10 by JAK]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I just woke from my afternoon nap, did I hear someone call for me?

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I guess I'd be considered an 'elder' as well purely because I registered back in 2006.. I would definitely not consider myself an expert on anything though as I spent the first 3yrs of my membership reading and learning.

It's only been the last year that I've begun to contribute and even then not much as I really do still prefer to read and be informed rather than 'part of the action' so to speak.

Is it possible to be an elder-noob?

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Alright you guys you got me for a few more chuckles.
What about as to the reason I revived the thread though?

You know this page 5 or 6 replys up from here?
Or maybe 8.

[edit on 7-9-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Why thank you for the sentiment, but I'll decline the title. I've been registered for nearly 4 years, but I was inactive for at least a year until recently.

Honestly, I think the only thing experience really confers upon someone is rhetorical skill. And on a lot of forums not even that. Most people on here can't even argue their points properly.

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join