It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Art of Procrastination.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Hello everyone.

I was wondering if anyone has ever partaken in the beautiful art of procrastination?

I think we have all done it some point or another. But I feel as if I am a professional. Let me give an example.

10 page paper gets assigned at the beginning of the term...

Times goes by...

The paper is due in 4 days... Oh maybe I'll start on that tonight...

2 days left? nah, I'll get it done tommorow.

The day before; I'm gonna wake up first thing tommorow morning and get it done....

What!!! It's due in 4 hours??? Oh snap! (gets into last minute mode and types out a masterful paper. Gets a B on assignment)

True story by the way. Isn't procrastination wonderful sometimes? I particularly like the feeling of doing "last minute" work. It gets me motivated and in the moment.

So, are any of you skilled procrastinators as well?

-Sol

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I am. I'd wait until 11pm the night before my assignment/homework is due because even looking over it let alone starting it.

I still do it too. I don't know how to just do something without leaving it to the last minute.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
True story: one time in college I was quoted as saying "I've got to stop procrastinating.........TOMORROW!!!!"

Sad thing is, at the time I think I meant it unironically.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
i once wrote a 3 page essay in highschool in 45 minutes and got a 89% haha. \

i procrastinate constantly, like its a real problem.

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I will respond to this thread later...

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I definitely agree that procrastination is definitely a problem. Sometimes it is possible to get lucky and complete your task on time, but sometimes procrastinating can fail very hard.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
To me it has become a big problem! It basically has consumed my life.
Just head my warning, be carefull, you might wake up when your 40, and have no clue where your life has gone! I've wasted so many years.
If I'm you, have yourself tested for ADD. People with ADD leave stuff up to the last minute. I've never been tested and until today I procrastinate. I still wait till the last minute to do everything. At 40 that's just sad!

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I have never, for as long as I can remember, done something ahead of schedule. The strange thing is that I like the feeling of doing a 4-page paper at 2 in the morning the night before it's due.

So yeah, I'd say I'm a pro.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I usually work better under pressure as well. When I have a deadline months ahead to make as many __ ( whatever project I'm working on at the time) I will wait until the last week or so and bust butt and roll them out.

So I'm right there with ya

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Obama Administration

Nuff said

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah
[more

I may procrastinate sometimes..

Let me think about it

I also use to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by L0veBuZz.mRh

Totally agreed. When its the final countdown and the stakes are high is when I work my best as well.

Procrastination is definitely a strange phenomenon since I know some people who love to get stuff done the second it gets assigned...

-Sol

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Well since skyfloating took my joke.

I teach a PHD level course in procrastination.

I do not know why, I like the thrill of getting things done at the last possible moment.

I think my last employment was the bomb for my little quirk. Having so many things on my plate and with 100's of other people and subcontractors dependent upon my coordinating things and setting things up, it was like I was in procrastination heaven.

I use to drive my assistant crazy, I would get him going on one thing that was needed and then switch him in mid job. It was not the most productive but when your TO DO list is 100's of items long, oh well.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Another day another new word i have learnt.I have heard of this word but i never knew what it meant.And yes i can now tell people i am a procrastinator as well as a solopisist(another word i learnt here a couple of days ago)

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

I love learning new words as well. Even better is a few days later, eloquently using that newly learned word in a conversation.

Procrastination perfectly fits the definition in my opinion.

-Sol

Edit to add: Skyfloating is the winner of best post! Genius.

[edit on 26-7-2010 by SolarE-Souljah]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   

I wish i knew it when i was younger when my parents asked if i had done my homework,i could have told them i was procrastinating and they would have thought i was learning something.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Well I have always been a born procrastinator.

Ostensibly its been one of my innate abilities to do so and I have met with little success in getting rid of my damned ability to put everything off till the hour of death.

For some unfathomable reason though I have survived all my trials and tribulations, even excelling in some while barely surviving the rest.

However procrastination leads to a poignant sensation of dread and of things going horribly wrong.It is quite like living on the edge.

Yours truly,
The king of procrastination

[edit on 26-7-2010 by Leonardo01]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Back in school I used to do everything on the last minute, but now, so many years later, I feel like procastinating adds to my stress level.
I rather have everything done well ahead of time and that gives me a relaxed and content feeling... and a feeling of having more free time to do other things, while not having to worry to much.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

You bring up an excellent point. The downside to procrastinating is that there will always be that feeling of knowing you have something due in the back of your head all day. So that means if you are goofing off and you know something is due, it doesn't allow you to be stress free.

Kudos for bringing that up.

-Sol

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
I will respond to this thread later...

brilliant!

this is how i went through all of school since the 5th grade,

theres still alot of homework i havent done and wont be doing now since i graduated 7 years ago.

i always did my homework the next day in class minutes before it got turned in,

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join