It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the moon look extremly bright to anyone else?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
(chicago) i woke up in the middle of the night because the moon was blinding me through a crack in the blinds! i thought it was odd, now i know i wasnt imagining it lol!

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I and my girlfriend took a few pictures of the moon last night. Cause it was so beautiful, something out of a werewolf movie or something. After reviewing some of the pics we seen that in some of the stills the moon had kind of reddish to orange haze. possibly was our camera that made it look so. I noticed that it was brighter than usual though.

(MISSOURI)

[edit on 26-7-2010 by kooa31]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by LeoVirgo

That makes total sense to me. I remember doing things like that this time of year. I worked in tobacco fields when I was younger, and we totally took advantage of the moonlight.
In the mountains/desert it would be called "Thunder Moon" In the farmland it would be called "Hay Moon"
Just like the Harvest Moon gives light to people in the fields in the fall.
Can't wait to see it tonight.

The thing is does anyone know why its brighter right now? Is it higher and closer some how? Any takers?
I have an "Inconsistent Moon" thing happen once....the shadow that the earth was casting on the moon was horizontal not vertical. It just seemed really odd to me. Am I just being silly, or does that happen and I have never paid attention to it? I tried to rationalize how it would happen, and that it must be normal, cuz no one else seemed to be worried about it.(before my ATS years) And talking about the moon today just made me remember that moment.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Flat Earthers would say the moon is producing more "bioluminescence". I guess the critters ( or whatever creates it) are in overdrive!!!!!

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
TV episode of a "new" version of "The Outer Limits":

"Inconstant Moon" is an episode of the US television series The Outer Limits. It first aired on 12 April 1996, during the second season. It was adapted from a short story of the same name written by Larry Niven, and Niven himself adapted the story for the screen.

Opening narration:
“ Moonlight can drive man to madness and lovers to swoon, but this night, for one last and glorious moment, it shines bright as a grim harbinger of dawn. ”

Plot:
It follows, roughly, the plot of the original story: A physics professor spots that the Moon is extremely bright. He realises that the Sun must have gone Nova and the side of the Earth in daylight must be suffering extreme heat — and that he has only a few hours left to live. He speaks to another academic and decides that it would be better if people did not know what had happened.

He contacts a woman whom he had been in love with and invites her to go for a walk with him; a love story ensues where he and the woman marry on what they assume is their last night on Earth. He is forced to admit what is going on to the woman, who is initially extremely disconcerted and distrustful of his intentions, although he defers these misgivings by repeatedly professing his love.

"Inconstant Moon"

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Its the radiant light of Nibiru's star reflecting off the moon.

Its getting so close!

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by zosocoda

The brightness may be due to that on the 29th the moon will be at its closest for this months cycle. Being we are not far from the 29th during a full moon tonight, might be why it seems so bright.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by nataylor
reply to post by AgentSmith

It does seem people have terrible memories. It seems just about every full moon someone remarks on how it looks odd or extra bright or something. It's like they don't notice it's like that every 29 days.

I would tend to agree. People seem to forget where continents are on maps too. They swear the BP spill will bring Martial Law. Every time they lose their keys they blame it on interdimensional travel. Its getting ridiculous the fantasy world people want to live in.

There are six posts to explain why the moon is so bright and everyone ignores it. I've seen 288 full moons in my life and the other night the moon was bright but not out of the ordinary at all. Some people just don't bother to look at the sky or are normally in bed.

I bet 95% of the people posting here have not seen a full moon in months. They probably didn't even notice the moon last night and someone says it was extra bright and suddenly they have an opinion.

Threads like this damage ATS's credibility IMO. When people blatantly ignore scientific fact in favor of fantasy.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
i noticed it to. i was fishing crab yesterday night, and at 0200 the moon was so bright i could read a newspaper whit no lightsource. the planet venus was also extremly bright

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
just last night woke up and noticed how incredibly bright it is
especially after you've been sleeping and the eyes are more sensitized to light

it's great to sleep right in the moonlight before it sets, except for when the early summer sun gives you an early start of the day

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Reminds me of the "OMG teh Moon is so big!!" thread from last year.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
"Warm crimson blurs my vision.
Seeping into my eyes.
But it doesn't bother me at all.
The lonely moon floats above me,
bearing witness in the night sky.

It's strange.
Why didn't I realize until now?

--Such a cold, horrible nightmare.

Yes--I didn't realize it.

That tonight...

The moon is so----beautiful----"

-Kinoko Nasu, Tsukihime (as translated by mirror moon)

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbloch7986

Originally posted by nataylor
reply to post by AgentSmith

It does seem people have terrible memories. It seems just about every full moon someone remarks on how it looks odd or extra bright or something. It's like they don't notice it's like that every 29 days.

I would tend to agree. People seem to forget where continents are on maps too. They swear the BP spill will bring Martial Law. Every time they lose their keys they blame it on interdimensional travel. Its getting ridiculous the fantasy world people want to live in.

There are six posts to explain why the moon is so bright and everyone ignores it. I've seen 288 full moons in my life and the other night the moon was bright but not out of the ordinary at all. Some people just don't bother to look at the sky or are normally in bed.

I bet 95% of the people posting here have not seen a full moon in months. They probably didn't even notice the moon last night and someone says it was extra bright and suddenly they have an opinion.

Threads like this damage ATS's credibility IMO. When people blatantly ignore scientific fact in favor of fantasy.

I have to agree with you on some points here!! I haven't posted in awhile, but this seems like a good topic to reply to as we here in Lancaster County, PA have also noticed the moon the past few nights! I agree that the moon most likely has been this bright in all of our life times and yes, there is a scientificly researched/proven reason for this (be it Thunder Moon, Hay Moon or whatever)!

Mostly what makes me very happy as an avid "night sky watcher" is that this occurance tends to lead more eyes to the skies! Every single ancient civilization has depended on the events in the night sky, to the point of worship, for their every day existance and I think we have lost far too much of that connection!! The Universe is so very vast and if all we are noticing is an extra bright moon in the Gregorian year 2010, you have to admit... it's a start! A friend of mine, who care nothing at all for the esoteric or anything else beyond her personal matrix, noticed and took pictures of the orange tinted moon on Saturday night. To me this is HUGE because it opened her up to discussions of "floating stars", constilation alignments and all sorts of other things that I believe (and notice) that she thought made me a little ; err well, let's say flakey lol!

Good on the moon for making an impression this weekend, hopefully opening some more eyes to reality!!!

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Four pages of discussion about how bright the moon is. This is the reason why I come to this forum - for riveting discussions like these. Personally, I think the moon is marginally less brighter than usual, probably about 10% - give or take. That's my two cents.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Could this be the source of the extra brightness for the moon?

ULTRAVIOLET SUNSPOT: Sunspot 1089 is churning out a lot of extreme ultraviolet (EUV) photons. Witness this EUV image taken just hours ago by the Solar Dynamics Observatory:

The bright glow comes from hot (80,000 K) plasma trapped by the sunspot's magnetic field. All by itself, this one 'hot spot' is lifting the EUV brightness of the entire sun toward a high point for the year. EUV photons from sunspot 1089 are absorbed in Earth's upper atmosphere where they heat the rarefied air and help reverse the recent collapse of the thermosphere.

Sunspot 1089 is still growing, both in brightness and area. Readers with solar telescopes are encouraged to monitor developments.

www.spaceweather.com...

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
The light from the moon is basically the reflection of the light from the Sun. It means that the Sun is emanating more light than usual. It may be the beginning of the impending solar flare. It may look beautiful but it could cause disasters to the Earth. Some crop circles describe the sun swalllowing the Mercury and Venus by 2012. By then the Earth will be become too hot for any living organisms. Hope and pray this will never happen.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
At around 4 in the morning, the moon was so bright that it was literally like a mock version of daylight here in Indiana.

Namaste and Love

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by dbloch7986

I agree with you too. I explained it was a thunder moon on the first page, and even provided a link that explained what it was.

I love to look at the moon and do it often. I will say, that two nights ago my dogs woke me up at four in the morning and what I saw as the moon was setting took my breath away.

No, I didn't think that aliens were invading, nerubu or whatever was landing or that the end of the world was near. I realized I was lucky enough to be witnessing the amazing capacity of nature to awe and wow.

I knew that I was seeing an especially full moon, in clear skies with the atmosphere temp and pressure just right at just the right moment in just the right location and angle to witness something special.

Now THAT is cool.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
First off I cant believe this thread is this long and 2nd All I'm reading is "wow it's bright" or "I noticed it too". Lol
If I was just browsing ATS and read this thread I would think they were lame.
Come on guys
By the way Inoticed it to LoL

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbloch7986

Nah...

What I am saying is it was unusually bright. Just like another poster said earlier. A few months ago it was really bright. I work nights so I have the opportunity to view the moon pretty routinely.

No one is disputing a full moon is bright. What people are disputing is the unusual brightess recently.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join