It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: Pot prices may decline up to 80 pct. after California legalization

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by hippomchippo

I guess we'll see. Did you read my subsequent post as well?

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Tharsis

The illegal growers still won't be able to compete.

Imagine if you could buy top notch equipment to grow, out in the open and not have to fear of being caught or anything of that nature?

Regardless of how good a grower you are, you're going to get better.

Besides, most people who smoke marijuana know nothing about strains and potency, they just see the word exotic and figure it's better than sativa or indica, most likely don't even know what those words mean anyway.

The large scale growers will always come out on top, and prices can and will drop to 40$ an oz, that's not a hard stretch to go when the current average is 100$ an oz.

Edit to Add;

Besides any grower worth his stuff will forgo illegal growing and open his own shop, that's a growers wet dream to do this stuff legally, so the people you're talking about, growing this wonderful green, are going to go the legal route.

They will sell far MORE than way, so price won't really be an issue once they can buy equipment and seeds at wholesale.

~Keeper

[edit on 7/8/2010 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Tharsis

Tharsis, you could probably spend $10,000 on a setup and yield 1000% on the first year at current prices.

The electricity used is the same as about a refrigerator if I remember correctly in a HID Bulb.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

TTTP, you're actually wrong on the idea that a majority of pot smokers don't down the difference in potency etc.

California stoners are a different breed my friend, and every single one I meet are freaks about the kind of weed they smoke.

Just thought I'd chip that in..

edit to add:

100$ an oz.

far from it my friend, 300/oz is average here in California, and that's even from the clubs.

[edit on 8-7-2010 by Revolution-2012]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Wayne60

So they are estimating that pot prices will drop if California legalizes it.

I think prices will drop in some areas and go up in others. With such a large market it would balance its self out. In some areas it is more expensive that it is that others. With the 50 dollar an ounce tax you are not talking about a huge saving vs street prices, not to mention the little quote in the story that says

"We cannot rule out increases of 50% to 100% or perhaps higher, but we just don't know," the study added.

So they are really saying it could drop up to 80% or it could go up over 100%.

I wonder if that would also curb some of the border violence too.
I've seen alot of arguments on the internet recently that pot legalization would stop the violence since that would be at least one drug the cartels could no longer make any money on.

Not really, the boarder violence will continue. They have human smuggling opperations,coc aine,heroin,meth and kidnapping. Not only that they still have a whole lot of places to sell besides california. Like most activists' mentalities their passion is somehow the cure for everything that was ever wrong EVER. Comming from california myself i can say that the dirty mexican crap weed is hard to find most people are taking stuff that is grown in california or people with the Medical pot card selling their stuff. Now keep in mind statistics on what is comming into the country drug-wise is estimated off the busts they do on traffickers. Pot being the hardest to smuggle gets busted the most.

Then I also wonder if Cali legalizes pot, if TPTB would be sure to find ways to keep the violence going just to prove a point.

Well according to ATS TPTB are behind everything. They were behind the reason it was not legal they will be the reason why it is legal and they will be the reason why the boarder violence goes up or down.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose
Ya know, awesome! Let the prices fall, and all whom will, toke up! Smoke, smoke, smoke!

Let the people who don't imbibe in cannabis, pass drug tests, and get jobs!

Let 'em smoke themselves silly, and make room for people who don't need the junk!

If it becomes legal Passing a drug test wont matter cause its LEGAL it would no longer mean you failed ur test because pot is in ur system. Just like alcohol.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I would just love for this to come to fruition. Cheap bud, more love.
Suh-suh-suh-suh-suh-second line.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Here is something to think about.

Gas is legal and the prices rise every year.
Milk is legal and the price rises every year.
Bread is legal and the prices rise every year.

Pot is illegal and the price stays the same....hmmmmm.

Keep it illegal.
I say the article is written by bookworms and is BS.

Keep the government out of the only economy that still works.
If they get their cut then they will want more as usual and the prices will rise as usual.

EDIT FOR THE MODS.
IF I BROKE ANY RULES IN THIS FORUM IN ANY OF MY POSTS PLEASE ASK ME TO EDIT AND I GLADLY WILL
[edit on 9-7-2010 by DrumsRfun]

[edit on 9-7-2010 by DrumsRfun]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Except I am guessing pot didn't cost $400+ an ounce in 1970.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

For as long as I remember it costs 200 an ounce and has stayed the same for years and years.
I can't say that about many legal items.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   

You must know someone that likes to live in the past then. Because I live in the future and it is going for $60 an 1/8th for top A+ quality. Currently, I believe it is who you know that is most important.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Really? The 99 cent store has been around a while and things there are still 99 cents.

Gas is legal and the prices rise every year.
Milk is legal and the price rises every year.
Bread is legal and the prices rise every year.

Yes a large reason is because of tax that gets added to it and the cost of wage increases. Everything has a trickle effect on everything else. A new land tax (or increase) gets made so farmers have to charge more for their plants. So the dairy farmers have to raise the price for their milk because it costs more to feed their cows. Now the price of milk is up and all around everything is more expensive, so you get a cost of living pay increase. But now it costs more to keep your company open so you charge more...rinse and repeat.
The thing with the black market is the stuff made in mexico has such a low overhead as the people who work for them may just be working to food and shelter or may be working under the threat of death.
If this were to be legal in the united states you would have to pay everyone at least minimum wage, business taxes, insurance and just about all the other expenses it would take to run the thing.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

I am also replying to Greenbicman.

The dollar store is a great example but I didn't say there were not exceptions to the rule so good for pointing one out.
My dollar store sells things for a buck-fifty and two fifty.

I am not American so its not coming from Mexico,it is local,and yes Greenbicman that is the price here and it hasn't changed in years and years.
I am not living in the past I am living in Canada.
The risk for you Americans getting caught for it might have a thing to do with the price being so high.
I still stick to my guns...making it legal means letting the government get their hands in the till which means prices go up just like gas,milk bread etc etc.
The government wouldn't hesitate to take a billion dollar market and make sure they get their cut...which they will want a nice one in an industry that big.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
This is probably the only agricultural commodity that will be falling in price - quick, get into the market at the bottom

Personally I hate the stuff - but there's no reason for it to be illegal - so good for cali to legalize, saves a lot of problems I think.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   

But think.

If legal, then everyone is gonna grow without worries. Price drops like a rock, at least in USA.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Tharsis
Agreed, types like Sativa take longer to grow and they require more height and they yield less yet the 'high' is very different (more active feeling of a high) from Indica, which grows faster, shorter, and yields more, yet has a more 'stoned' type of high. Indica is more favored as a 'cash crop' where profit is king.

I think Sativa is more highly sought after by active people, since it doesn't couch-lock people.

[edit on 9-7-2010 by star in a jar]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Two things I can put my money on in life is death and taxes.
If kept illegal no tax.

I know the law is different there so its hard to wrap my head around your situation but here its not a big deal to grow a few.Not a grow op,just a couple plants at a time and we pay no taxes on it.
My point revolves around allowing it to be taxed...which might eventually be to death.

Legalization I am not for...decriminalization is another story altogether.
That I AM for,for you guys.
Canada is fairly relaxed so my point of view comes from living up here.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   

You pretty much live in a fantasy-land compared to USA. There are pro's and con's to everything, but it seems the people in your country live comparatively greater freedoms.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   

That wouldn't last long. I can foresee regulation out the wazoo. You want to grow? Sure. We've got your permit right here. Now all you need to do is fill out all these forms, take a 18 week class, pay 5000 in processing fees and wait up to 6 months for your permit. If you are found to be growing without a permit, then you get slapped with all the appropriate penalties contained therein.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Hypntick

I was thinking that as well. I was thinking more along the lines of not getting a "permit" and subverting authority.

Once legal, I am guessing cops would waste time on that akin to jaywalking.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join