It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: Pot prices may decline up to 80 pct. after California legalization

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

I'm sorry that our tyrannical government did that in the past. Truly, it's a shame. All the same, I hope you realize your reasoning if faulty. If U.S. states legalize it, it'll end up being a federal ruling. If it's a federal legality, then the control factor from U.S. government over others such as Canada will be a non-issue. That means you guys will be free to do as you want! So, it'll probably only be a matter of weeks or months after we gain the freedom that you guys will have it as well. Hooray!

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

No comment!

I think you're referring to the chemicals used in most indoor setups, or else it has to do with the way it was dried.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
The problem with legalization is that now more 40 year olds will try to sound hip by playing out stereotypes, "DUDE PASS THE MUNCHIES LOL"
Ugh.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
its a good step but this is only one of many of the drugs that the cartels run so its just a small step so far...as to the post yeah i think it makes sense but uncle sam will want his cut and thats where the price hike will come back

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Wayne60

It'll put the illegal sellers out of business as they will NEVER be able to afford selling it at that low price.

I hope it does get dropped by that much, it will make it even easier for people to realize what a wonderful substance it is, for recreation & medical.

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
if california legalizes "pot" they deserve to get boycotted.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ausar
if california legalizes "pot" they deserve to get boycotted.

Why?

What's the problem with legalizing a natural substance that has been PROVEN both medically and recreationally as being safe and effective?

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
About that 40-year old crack?

Question. What about all the people in jail on pot charges in California? Do they get let out?

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
No way prices will drop that much for the top shelf quality.

The skilled grower will always get top price for his top shelf product.

The real connoisseurs will seek it out and pay well for it.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

no they will not get out of jail. they treat it like they did people who were arrested for bootlegging and alchol related offences were not let out of jail when prohbition was repealed no sources but i rember doing a project on it in school for a legal paper

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tharsis
No way prices will drop that much for the top shelf quality.

The skilled grower will always get top price for his top shelf product.

The real connoisseurs will seek it out and pay well for it.

Wrong.

Exotics will be the first to have the price drop. In California it's all relatively cheap anyway, if it's in great abundance and high demand, everything will drop.

What do you think will be in higher demand, regular pot? Or the super crazy Skunk, Cush hydro?

That's right, the higher the quality the higher the demand. There won't be any "cheap, low quality" weed if this stuff gets legalized, growers won't be able to sell it. They'll all have to move to exotics.

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
California reallllllllly needs to pass this.

Our economy is in the crapper, all the way. Also, we need to enforce the immigration laws, because illegals are screwing everything up here.

I'm all for the legalization, let stoners be stoners, just like alcoholics are alcoholics(except alcoholics tend to be more of a menace to society), and profit off them!!

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by KilrathiLG

Well that sucks. California could probably save a ton more money if they pardoned them as well.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

This is correct.

You have to think how much of the price that is built in is due to the illegality? Probably 90%. The other 10% is quality.

Once illegality drops quality jumps because of sole demand and there is no demand, or no theoretical price for low quality.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   

placing some of the most delicately cultivated buds in the world at less than $40 an ounce.

Yes and no one will pay anything for the garbage Mexican brick (Mexican dirt weed unfortunately too common) because the good Humboldt, Kush, purple haze or other high Quility Calif grown will be so much better.

At least unemployment will go down as the number of pot farmers grows

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Legalize it, and use the proceeds to ERASE the national debt!

If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.
-Terence Mckenna!

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
Yes, prices will drop for a minute, until they get the sin and other taxes slapped on. And until production goes big business. And until Monsanto starts manipulating the seeds. Just a guess. It probably will curb some of the violence until they find something else to fight over or replace it with coc aine or something.

Bollocks.
It will always be cheaper otherwise people would return to the black market.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
this has to be the biggest scam being hoodwinked in my generation.

you are basically saying that all prior convictions stand; what as an action that was deemed "illegal" is now being converted to equate a plant being "legal".

california deserves a boycott over this.

this is basically slavery; a false institution you believe in has told me that my actions are punishable by your institution: then you state that your institution now will hold value in the self as a means of erasing "debt".

[edit on 8-7-2010 by Ausar]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpowerWrong.

Exotics will be the first to have the price drop. In California it's all relatively cheap anyway, if it's in great abundance and high demand, everything will drop.

What do you think will be in higher demand, regular pot? Or the super crazy Skunk, Cush hydro?

That's right, the higher the quality the higher the demand. There won't be any "cheap, low quality" weed if this stuff gets legalized, growers won't be able to sell it. They'll all have to move to exotics.

~Keeper

I'm saying prices won't drop to $40 an oz. That's my argument. What exactly is your stance? Not trying to be rude, just would like clarification.

What I disagree with, is saying that growers will simply grow better pot. It doesn't work that way. Just acquiring a 'kush' or 'exotic' type of cannabis doesn't mean you can produce top shelf quality product from it. It can take years to get product 'just right', and sometimes more if you get a new variety with different nutritional needs. Sometimes growers (most of the time, IMHO) NEVER get to that level of quality.

Originally posted by GreenBicMan

This is correct.

You have to think how much of the price that is built in is due to the illegality? Probably 90%. The other 10% is quality.

Once illegality drops quality jumps because of sole demand and there is no demand, or no theoretical price for low quality.

So only 10% of the price is quality?

So you are saying prices will drop 90% due to legality? With prices for equipment, electricity, man hours, water, nutrients, rent, taxes, marketing, middlemen, there is little profit to be made at a 90% decrease. Most smaller growers who grow to subsidize or augment their income will not be producing for wholesale any longer.

BTW, it is still federally illegal, and as long as some DEA agents are getting a paycheck, they will still be crashing down doors and shooting our citizens. They'll go after the larger grows to make a larger statement.

So, with the smaller gardeners being pushed away from a 90% decrease in value and huge illegal grow ops always on the edge of getting busted (that won't want to get busted for a crop worth $40 an oz) who is going to grow it? Many dispensaries are claiming that they cannot keep up with demand no matter what. Larger illegal grows are bending over backward to keep up with demand. Where is all this cheap super high quality product going to come from?

I'm not necessarily saying you are wrong, I'd just like more input.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Ausar

from how i see it it would be like opening the flood gates yes i think its wrong there in jail but how the law works is different then what we all want, and i may be wrong they may open the flood gates and release them all i am not certain the only parallel we have in out history is the repeal of prohibition so that's all i have to go on as a source on the plus side this should cut down on arrests drastically

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join