It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: Pot prices may decline up to 80 pct. after California legalization

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Study: Pot prices may decline up to 80 pct. after California legalization

rawstory.com

By Stephen C. Webster
Thursday, July 8th, 2010 -- 6:43 pm

A study released Thursday by the Rand Corporation claims that marijuana prices in a post-legalization California could drop by up to 80 percent, placing some of the most delicately cultivated buds in the world at less than $40 an ounce.

An initiative that would legalize California's most valuable cash crop will be on the state's Nov. 2010 ballot. Should it pass, individual counties and municipalities would be able to opt in or out of th
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
So they are estimating that pot prices will drop if California legalizes it. I wonder if that would also curb some of the border violence too. I've seen alot of arguments on the internet recently that pot legalization would stop the violence since that would be at least one drug the cartels could no longer make any money on. Then I also wonder if Cali legalizes pot, if TPTB would be sure to find ways to keep the violence going just to prove a point.

Your thoughts fellow ATSers...

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I'm

going - going

back - back

to

Cali -Cali

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
The violence isn't directly related to pot I don't think...
it is related to money.

How much violence is there in regards to pot in countries where it is already legal?

link   
You know I saw "pot" and just had to comment.

I think you could be right about decreasing border violence, I feel it should be decriminalized across the board. I guess with one state taking action others may follow, one can only hope. Seems to me as dark aged as thinking the world is flat. Just my opinion though, don't ask me what I'm smokin' or anything...

link   
Yes, prices will drop for a minute, until they get the sin and other taxes slapped on. And until production goes big business. And until Monsanto starts manipulating the seeds. Just a guess. It probably will curb some of the violence until they find something else to fight over or replace it with coc aine or something.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
A * W * E * S * O * M * E

Seriously, this is some of the best news I've heard all year !!

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Oh yeah. I can imagine the kinds of taxes they will have on it.
I wonder since pot would still be illegal to the Feds, if they would try to tax Cali's legal pot? I imagine they would.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Wayne60

Forty bucks for an oh-zee ! Those were the days my friend ...

California dreamin' ...

But no , it will have no effect on the border violence at all . Have offered my thoughts on this in a couple of threads already .

Simply put , coke , heroin , meth , pills and firearms are where the cartels are making their bread and butter .

Pot smuggling is only a distraction that allows the real money-makers to slide right on in .

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Pure speculation without any facts to back it up.

Prices will drop, but not anywhere near that amount, so far as I can see. After all, there are fixed costs associated with growing that have to be covered.

I think the market will evolve into indoor/outdoor markets. Indoor will be the equivalent of a brewery, while outdoor will be more akin to a winery. the 60-90 day indoor cycle means a more "manufactured" kind of pot: consistent and good, but without the individual character and complexity that oudoor pot develops over a longer and more complex growing season/environment.

[edit on 8-7-2010 by apacheman]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
A * W * E * S * O * M * E

Seriously, this is some of the best news I've heard all year !!

When Jean Chretien was prime minister of Canada about seven years ago, he almost legalized marijuana. Then some US official came here, linked marijuana to terrorism and told the Canadian government that they would cut off the border if Canada legalized weed in any way. Now smoking marijuana is still criminal here.

Marijuana is the biggest cash crop in BC and if it was legalized here we would be leaps and bounds ahead of the world. But it wasn't allowed, because it wouldn't be convenient to some certain powers in the world that are in proximity to BC.

Good job Americans, obtaining your own happiness at the expense of everyone else in the world. While we must smoke weed in our basements you will probably be allowed to smoke it on the street without the anxiety of having a cop burst into your happy bubble and take you down a level.

You must feel awesome.

[edit on 8-7-2010 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
ahh, wacky weed! where for art thou?

Imagine violence if this stuff was lealized

'' dood, what gives maaaan... you bumpbed into me bro ''

'' sorrrrry man..''

'' thats orrrrite, lets hit miccy dee's dooood ''

''radical!''

California's economy must be in the toilet to be thinking of legalizing this!

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I can see it now...legalize pot in Cali,
fast food and snack sales would skyrocket...munchies

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Okay you took the words outta my mouth - prices will be lower for a while and then tax, tax and more tax. Just like liquor and cigarettes. Yep!

But for a while

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Wayne60

It's one of those, be careful what you wish for scenarios. Once it goes corporatized, like the alcohol and tobacco industries, which this would by the way also effect, it won't be that fun anymore. The driving force is always $$$ But hey the good news is you'll probably be able to grow it at home, until the corporate lobbyists get the laws changed to limit even that.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

BC Bud ROCKS .
'nuff said .

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman

I think the market will evolve into indoor/outdoor markets. Indoor will be the equivalent of a brewery, while outdoor will be more akin to a winery. the 60-90 day indoor cycle means a more "manufactured" kind of pot: consistent and good, but without the individual character and complexity that oudoor pot develops over a longer and more complex growing season/environment.

[edit on 8-7-2010 by apacheman]

Not that I know too much about it
, but you can grow all types indoors: Organic, hydroponic, aeroponic, sativa, indica, hybrid. You can pretty much make it as varied as outdoors. The key differences in the higher grades has to do with the genetics, and if it's getting organic or chemical nutrients, and if it's cured properly. None of that has any bearing on being indoors or outdoors.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Yes , California's economy is in the toilet .
Heard just the other day that the Arnold was cutting the salaries of State workers to minimum wage .
Plus , let's not forget about the state tax-refunds being witheld due to the state being broke .

How much money are the illegal aliens taking out of the economy by sending it to Mexico ?

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Ya know, awesome! Let the prices fall, and all whom will, toke up! Smoke, smoke, smoke!

Let the people who don't imbibe in cannabis, pass drug tests, and get jobs!

Let 'em smoke themselves silly, and make room for people who don't need the junk!

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
None of that has any bearing on being indoors or outdoors.

I take it you've never grown/smoked it before? Indoor has a very distinct taste over outdoor.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join