It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

apostrophe's and never-ending paragraph's

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I am far from being a "scholar", but come on people...

When a word is made plural by adding an "s", no apostrophe is needed.

I can't read one thread without seeing this.

Also, please try and use spacing or paragraphs when writing long posts. A 2,000 character block of solid text is torture.

I'm far from perfect. This stuff is akin to nails on a chalkboard to me.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I'm totally with you on the paragraphs. I like to see things broken down or I lose track of where I am way too easily.

I go a little easier on other people's spelling, that doesn't bother me, especially if English might not be their first language.

I have certain words that I just like to spell wrong (thru = through), but I am hardest on myself with the right punctuation, and most of the spelling.

But yeah, paragraphs make a world of difference on even reading the post or skipping over it completely.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Just one thing, it is not so easy to wright in paragraphs if you're typing on a mobile! I'll be sitting here and push the zero on my Nokia, untill my thumb goes numb.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
One of my pet peeves is one-line paragraphs.

That's sort of the opposite of long paragraphs.

Even though I'm guilty of it myself now and then, it bothers me..

For some reason, it makes it hard to concentrate.

And I kind of stop reading around line four...

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by dlifesjrny

You might take it a step further and give an example

Like one dog is dog. Two or more is dogs.

That's = That is

Dog's would be dog is which doesn't make sense.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by madleo
Just one thing, it is not so easy to wright in paragraphs if you're typing on a mobile! I'll be sitting here and push the zero on my Nokia, untill my thumb goes numb.

Use the mobile website, it's far easier to use..

m.abovetopsecret.com

To the OP. I agree, I've made a few threads on the subject, paragraphs and proper formatting are required for smooth viewing and replying.

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by madleo

I never thought of that, good point.
But if you are on a mobile, you probably aren't doing really long posts either though, so that's not so bad.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Oops! My son just showed me, that there is actully a button that you can use to make a paragraph! You see, never to old to learn.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   

You're a grammar Nazi, welcome to the internet. Even with built in spell check it's easy to get commas and apostrophes in bad places and use words incorrectly even for someone with a good grasp of the language.

Again welcome to the internet, u wunt find teh grammerz heir, best get used to it.

[edit on 6-7-2010 by Titen-Sxull]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
guilty as charged! i apologize my English skills are terrible (and I'm English) i didn't finish school and the limited time i did spend their didn't involve learning. my fault trying to be the class clown (wasn't particularly funny either) so once again i apologize. moral of the story... STAY IN SCHOOL KIDS!! (Say's the illiterate hypocrite)

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by madleo

Aren't kids great! Each generation is getting more technologically savvy.
I know my son is waaaayyyy ahead of me.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Just been to the mobile site, it is beyond boring. Could not even find my favourite "ats firehose"!
The only thing I saw was recent posts. I'll rather struggle through this site, at least it's in colour.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

Yep, I left the a out of actually! English is my second language though.
When I was in school, many years ago, we failed the grade if we did not pass English.
I must be honest, I can hardly remember a thing that I learned at school.
If I had a spell check on my cell, it would have worked overtime. I HATE making spelling mistakes!

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Where do these punctuations actually do belong in a sentence ?

I've never actually learned why and how they are supposed to be used, and I gained most of my English by reading and participating.I do know it's different from Dutch.
We use a punctuation or ( , ) in places where you would take a breath in a conversation.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Mike6158

Originally posted by Mike6158

You might take it a step further and give an example

Like one dog is dog. Two or more is dogs.

That's = That is

Dog's would be dog is which doesn't make sense.

For one dog - This is the dog's dish.

For two or more dogs - These are the dogs' dishes.

The apostrophy denotes ownership. The exception to this is:

it's - it is or its - belongs to it.

For me it is easier to just overlook most spelling and punctuaion errors. But I do agree with the run on paragraph. My pet peve is: it's a moot point. The word is moot not mute. But since English is not the first language for many posters on this site, I try to overlook most of this. I'm just happy to read posts from a wide variety of posters.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
I'm totally with you on the paragraphs. I like to see things broken down or I lose track of where I am way too easily.

I go a little easier on other people's spelling, that doesn't bother me, especially if English might not be their first language.

I have certain words that I just like to spell wrong (thru = through), but I am hardest on myself with the right punctuation, and most of the spelling.

But yeah, paragraphs make a world of difference on even reading the post or skipping over it completely.

Try as I might, everytime I post on here my paragraphs all run together in one big runon mesh of words. But i do agree with you.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas
Where do these punctuations actually do belong in a sentence ?

I've never actually learned why and how they are supposed to be used, and I gained most of my English by reading and participating.I do know it's different from Dutch.
We use a punctuation or ( , ) in places where you would take a breath in a conversation.

That's what I do also. Just where it feels natural. Things that also trip me up are the differences in American, Canadian, and English. Colour, color, honor, honour, labor, labour, all correct.

In the US, paycheque is just spelled paycheck. What if you want to check to see if your cheque is in? You check your check. Doesn't look right when spelled in American.

I admire people for who (whom?) English is not their first language and they get it better than those who live in North America

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Aw, c'mon, man, a lot of people here are neither from the States, the U.K., nor any other place where English is mainly spoken.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
One can usually tell right away if a person is from the U.S. or not.
If they are not from here, their English may not be so good. I can
understand that situation. Normally, it is Americans who can't seem
to understand much about their own language. English is the language
that most of us speak here.

If I may, I would like to throw a few more coals on the fire. The words
I am showing are the ones that are butchered constantly, and the people
doing the butchering don't seem to have a clue. It makes me wonder about
the quality of education that we have in our schools today.

These words are misused on ATS more than any others.

Then
Than

Our
Are

Their
Thier
There
They're

We're
Were

To
Too

Them
Those
These
This

Passed
Past

Thru
Threw
Through
Though

Anybody's
Anybodies

Lose
Loose

Coming
Comming

Religion
Religon
Religious
Religos

And these are the worst of the worst.

Would HAVE and not would OF
Could HAVE and not could OF
Should HAVE and not should OF

I am sure there are a lot more, but Americans use these words
incorrectly more than most others.

[edit on 6-7-2010 by endtimer]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by darkelf

Well that's just great... Good think I didn't take up teaching for a living... come to think of it... I would probably fit right in.

Actually... I just read your post again... it was an addition not a correction. Sweet! but no teaching job for me

I met a real nice Belgian family at Delicate Arch in Arches National Park a few years ago. The son spoke 7 languages fluently. He was around 10. The daughter spoke 4 fluently and she was around 17. Mom spoke 9 languages fluently and Dad spoke 6 languages fluently. They apologized to me for their
"poor" English. I told them that their English was better than my version of anything that they spoke and that English wasn't my strong suite... but it was the only language that I knew... actually... I can butcher Spanish pretty well... but I guess that doesn't count.

[edit on 7/6/2010 by Mike6158]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join