It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

13 Yr Old Sets Field on Fire with Fireworks, now for the rest of the story...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by pyehouse

Um. The kid made a mistake and then did the right thing to get it handled.

What makes you think he didn't "learn his lesson" and what makes you think
"sitting in a cell" would make that a more profound lesson than what he already
learned, not to mention whatever consequences he's going to get from home?

Funny how the general cry to "leave parenting to the parents" turns into
"let the cops arrest him and teach him a lesson" in this instance.Interesting....

[edit on 6-7-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   

link   

Originally posted by dannyfal
that made me happy and kinda teary

still waiting on some negative nancy to come in and talk some ish... wonder how long that'll take

Well, it is a Mods thread, and I vote that they don't let that happen. At least two Mods are already participating, and they have my permission to remove any post that is not directly associated with this one particular good cop. In my opinion any cop bashing unless it is first hand knowledge of this particular guy would be off-topic.

Question for the OP, since he made that personal connection, the kid is already obviously well-raised despite the money problems and absent father, the cop is putting out the money for the damages, does he have any plans to visit again? Mentor or Big Brother style? Does the cop have kids of his own?

CX
+11 more 
link   

I see your point but i think there's a difference between some yob setting light to the field and not giving a damn, and a lad who does it by accident, royaly fills his pants with fright and still does the right thing afterwards.

He phoned 911. How many kids...or adults would have done that?

He waited for the expected arrest and all that comes with that. How many kids/adults would have done that?

I say this is one of those rare occasions when a little compassion and common sense comes into play.

CX.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
it is so cool to hear these stories. We need more PEACE officers like this. Its very often you see officers disregard a person due to their looks or social status and it leads to the wrong outcome. this officer needs a raise!

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Great story! Tell him good job and wish we had more like him for me!

Second line

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

I have to agree with you, most people would run and let it burn off. The police would be left to investigate the crime and may not ever solve it depending on what evidence was made available.

I think the officer did the right thing.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
Yes, he is my friend and told me the story today.

Wouldn't it be great if the 13 year old grew up to become a police or fire man?

Great story. We need more of these vs. the "stuff" the 24 hr news channels feed us.

I've been unemployed for 2 years, but I've got $20 I'd donate to this LEO to help him cover his costs.

Anyone know how to set up an account where he could collect some donations?

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

GREAT THREAD. Reminded me of a few mishaps as a child. Brings the human
element in law enforcement to the surface. We need MORE police officers
of that caliber . Men like that are a credit to the force Nationwide. But it is even
difficult to find civilians with that amount of heart these days. At least where I
live. Sad to say. S&F

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Really? A 13 year old kid that had an accident, that was already remorseful, and that did the right thing to get it fixed?

Have you ever made a mistake? Had an accident? Could someone have been hurt or killed because of it? Did you require jail time to know that you messed up?

1. 13 year olds never need to be in a jail. They are kids. There is no such thing as "tried as an adult." They are kids or they are adults, they cannot be both. We define them as kids, so they should be treated like kids.

2. I've made PLENTY of mistakes. I've hurt myself and others. I made it to be 37 by the Grace of God, and I never required a jail to teach me right from wrong.

Jail is for "intentional" destruction, and even then we have to have a place for pranks and jokes. Jail is never for accidents.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
Well, it is a Mods thread, and I vote that they don't let that happen.

Alternative opinions are welcomed, and actually, sometimes there's satisfaction in letting someone wear what they post. Their own "contribution" speaks louder than any off-topic graphic, no?

It's interesting to see how anyone could possibly view this as anything other than a public servant going way above and beyond the requirements, to do the right thing regardless of what the letter of the rule requires.

The kid made a mistake, was contrite, did exactly what any responsible person should do and few actually do in the aftermath. He deserved the treatment afforded to him by the officer. Paying the fine was well beyond what anyone should expect. This officer is an Earthly angel.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I agree.....the officer saw that the child was truly in distress over what had happened and compassionately, yet sternly took control of the situation. Sadly, there are those here that would like to keep kicking the horse........

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I applaud your friend's approach in dealing with the incident. Top Stuff. As it should be, the Letter of the law isn't always the most appropriate nor best approach to a given situation. Often times, as is apparent here, the slightest injection of compassion and truly looking to Serve the better good can make All the difference in the world. Hats off, Officer.

On a side note:
Honestly, despite the obvious financial hardships and other single parent related barriers and obstacles here, it would seem that the boy's mother has done a rather fine job of raising her son to be responsible and expect to be held accountable for his actions.

I mean how many 13 year olds do you know who would have not only had the where with all to call 911 but also to stick around, ready to accept the "punishment" for their actions?

For thirteen? ... that would seem a damn fine young man in the making.

Kudos to All involved, in my opinion!

CX

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I only hope that they are ok with the officers actions at the fire department, there's always one jobsworth that wants to go totaly by the book and take action.

Hopefully this officers bosses at the police station will be ok with it too.

CX.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Tell your friend the officer that he's a great guy! Now if only other cops would show me the same compassion when I get pulled for speeding

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Fine.....don't give me any Super Moderator powers though!!
I'll taze everyone with them!

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
This is a rare occurrence where i'm from. Made me feel good that this happened to the 13 year old, good luck to him and his momma. Thanks to the office for his manly attitude in this situation.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
This is great that there are such descent people in this world. Not "machines" that go by the letter of blind law but People ,individuals,who do their job and remain Human.
I am sure that this did lot more for this kid's education then punishing him and fining his family.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

that made me feel good all over. i feel like after reading that, today will be more lighthearted of a day.

wonderful story and a wonderful friend you have there OP

+7 more 
posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
This is how law officers used to be when I was a child. If you got caught involved in mischief they scared the poop out of you and took you the one place that you did not want to go to be punished; home.

If the police brought you home you had better believe that you would receive a punishment from your parent s that you would not easily forget.

I was very lucky, or not, because my parents did not believe in spankings. My father said that a spanking was over too quick and was too easy to forget, so he devised creative punishments like chopping a winter's worth of wood, spending the whole weekend on your knees washing, waxing, and hand buffing the hard wood floors.,

Trust me he was very good at finding the odd, labor-intensive job that gave you plenty of time to reflect on your indiscretion and make you think long and hard before repeating your offense.

The law enforcement officers were, neighbors, friends, and leaders. They were respected because they cared about their community, their job and their citizens.

Too much has changed and we all lose.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join